Motoring Discussion > Trial by combat for motoring admin failure Legal Questions
Thread Author: Mapmaker Replies: 7

Trial by combat for motoring admin failure - Mapmaker
www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1416262/Court-refuses-trial-by-combat.html
 Trial by combat for motoring admin failure - SteelSpark
LOL

Mind you, it's probably lucky for him. Their champion is probably some hulk from the Welsh valleys.
 Trial by combat for motoring admin failure - Cliff Pope
Abolished in 1819, apparently:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trial_by_combat

It's a nice idea, and a quite tempting thought that you could lay into some effete dozy clerk at the DVLA.

But if it caught on they would quickly out-source the work to killer professionals.
 Trial by combat for motoring admin failure - Skoda
That's pretty good :-)
 Trial by combat for motoring admin failure - bathtub tom
I feel like trying that with HMRC.

SWMBO's tax affairs aren't complicated (I can work them out), but after checking her 2010/11 tax, I realised she'd overpaid (PAYE) by around £300.

Call 1 (about 30 min): They hadn't received a P60 that we had. They said leave it a couple of weeks and by then it will have resolved itself.

Call 2, four weeks later (about 40 min): They've got the missing P60, but I need to obtain a tax certificate from my bank to confirm tax deducted from deposit account. They said they should've told me this on call 1.

Call 3, many weeks later (Spanish practices from my bank - need I say more? About 1 hour): They reckon she owes them tax!!! I finally speak to a manager, who admits that as SWMBO earned less than £6K in that tax year, she wouldn't be liable for more than basic rate tax and yes they owe her around £300.

HMRC boast you don't need to claim overpaid tax as they resolve it automatically. They admitted in SWMBO's case it would never have happened due to a 'glitch' in the system!

What chance of receiving a cheque within the next couple of months?
 Trial by combat for motoring admin failure - MD
Absolute breeze my friend.............Just try changing your broadband to BT. Laugh..............I nearly paid me Poll tax.
 Trial by combat for motoring admin failure - bathtub tom
I changed my broadband from the company set up by that toothy, grinning character with a unique design in central heating in his Caribbean island house to BT.

It was the losing company that caused the problems. BT are cheaper, 30% faster and (so far) less hassle.
 Trial by combat for motoring admin failure - Bill Payer
>> Abolished in 1819, apparently:
>>
Only shortly before the story was published in the Telegraph!
Latest Forum Posts