Motoring Discussion > Cars 2..... Miscellaneous
Thread Author: R.P. Replies: 16

Cars 2..... - R.P.
Can I commend a film to you all - went to see it tonight in my role as a volunteer steward at the local cinema.....cracking film, beautifully made, nice little pastiches from many other films including the James Bond francise, 39 Steps.....lovely little dig at the Rover V8 (if slightly unfair).....splendid way to pass 90 minutes !
 Cars 2..... - paulb
Seconded - took B Jr. to see this as end-of-term treat. Very entertaining.

Don't start me on Cineworld's admission prices, though.
 Cars 2..... - R.P.
"My" place is an indie....and charges accordingly....but no 3D yet. It was a pleasure to watch the skill of the projectionist though...!
 Cars 2..... - rtj70
>> "My" place is an indie....and charges accordingly....but no 3D yet. It was a pleasure to
>> watch the skill of the projectionist though...!
>>

We used to do a film night every Sunday at the halls of residence at Uni. We needed a projectionist as we couldn't do it. He earned a fair few quid too. Film themed night were always fun - and he made loads more.

We try to support our local cinema here too though. Still going despite them saying it was closing. They tried to sell it to a developer to turn it into a pub! Rejected application.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Tue 23 Aug 11 at 21:51
 Cars 2..... - Bromptonaut
>> Don't start me on Cineworld's admission prices, though.

I just about can live with the admission prices. On the other hand proffering a fiver for a bottle of water and a packet of wine gums to find another 80p demanded really stings!!
 Cars 2..... - Redviper
>> >> Don't start me on Cineworld's admission prices, though.
>>
>> I just about can live with the admission prices. On the other hand proffering a
>> fiver for a bottle of water and a packet of wine gums to find another
>> 80p demanded really stings!!
>>

I agree, astonishing and have you seen what they charge for the snacks!

I refuse to buy anything from there - did you see that programme with the chef who went to Cineworld to change the "menu" (Heston Something he was called)

They where that worried he would spill the beans on how much money they make, they had someone follow him around at all times - but he did find out that it costs less than £1 to make the pop corn - infact the bag is more expensive and yet they sell a back for more than £4! - its a disgrace

We have the "unlimited" card, and we only have to go 3 times a month to make our money back and everything else is a bonus - and it does not matter if the film was rubbish because in theory it did not cost anything.
 Cars 2..... - rtj70
>> and it does not matter if the film was rubbish because in theory it did not cost anything.

Got you brainwashed then. We try to see all films at our local independent cinema. It's cheaper and it benefits supporting the local community etc.

I would think some months there is nothing worth seeing though. Unlimited card. :-)

P.S. I assume if a film is rubbish you will walk out. Life is too short to watch a naff film.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Tue 23 Aug 11 at 22:25
 Cars 2..... - R.P.
Another plus with Cars2 was that it was 100minutes long - seems to be a lot of willy waving with the length of films these days..
 Cars 2..... - rtj70
A good film length. Seen the extended extended special edition lengths for the BluRay release of Lord of the Rings!
 Cars 2..... - Redviper
>> Got you brainwashed then. We try to see all films at our local independent cinema.
>> It's cheaper and it benefits supporting the local community etc.
>>
>> I would think some months there is nothing worth seeing though. Unlimited card. :-)
>>
>> P.S. I assume if a film is rubbish you will walk out. Life is too
>> short to watch a naff film.

Unfortunately for us, the Cineworld in Middlesbrough is our local Cinema, (unless you discount the ABC / Odeon in Darlington (however the screen there is the same size as our TV and I cannot sit get in the seats, there is no room)

This is of course the new one in Richmond North Yorks - however its still further than the 'boro

I have a never walked out a film halfway I'll sit it through and there has only being 2 films in the past year that Ive found insanely boring (enough to consider walking out) and that was the Twilight series (what was I thinking!!)

for my partner and I, the Cinema is our Saturday night out, usually a meal and then the pics - and If we have nothing to do we go through mid week - it takes about 15 min to get to Boro from Darlington so its not far

Yes there has been a time when we didn't go a month and I agree that makes it very bad value - but to much happening in our personal lives ensured that the Cinema wasn't going to be a enjoyable experience.
 Cars 2..... - R.P.
"pics" funny how that reminded me of being kids....
 Cars 2..... - mikeyb
Took my 5 year old to see it last week. Hes mad about it and has been asking for months when cars 2 would be out. Took him on "orange Wednesday" and caught the 5pm showing so ended up costing £6.80 for the two of us.

Cost of snacks was, as always, very OTT so saved the money and then took him for something to eat afterwards.

Our other local multiplex does what they call a "kids combo" its a box of popcorn, small pack of sweets, and a drink for £2.40 - I can just about live with that, but they dont really show any of the kids films after 3 pm ish so no good for me to go after work
 Cars 2..... - R.P.
It was a freebie for me tonight - I enjoy it. Get to see Jeremy Hardy under the same T&Cs in a couple of months.
 Cars 2..... - BobbyG
Also saw Cars 2 and didn't think it was good as the original. was interested to hear that of all the Pixar films, Cars has grossed the least at the box office, but has made the most from merchandise. Nothing to do with having a hundred different car characters, some of whom change colour as well!!! :)

I can't remember the specific, but when I watched it I recollect thinking that there was a hint of Top Gear in it - did they replciate a challenge or something like that? Or something that appeared in the series of Top Gear just finished?

On the point of cinemas, my nephew worked in one of the large ones up here and tells of various stories including the night that the staff had a lock in, not long after the screens had gone digital. and they managed to plug a wii into the system....

They also, one Sunday, screened a Grand Prix live on the big screen which surprisingly, went down very well.
 Cars 2..... - Boxsterboy
How does it compare to Cars 1?

I really wanted to like the first film, but there was something about it which just didn't quite gell - not sure if it was the story-line, too long, character defects or what - and the press reviews of Cars 2 haven't been too good.
 Cars 2..... - Dave_
I took middle and youngest nippers to see Cars 2, they both enjoyed it all the way through. I thought the graphic attention to detail was astounding, with many recognisable real-world cars each exhibiting their owners' stereotypical characteristics. Lots of great little visual gags for the petrolheads, plenty of references to other films for the avid filmgoer and enough action to keep the kids entertained.

We watched the 2D screening (cheaper), I bought one drink to share between the lot of us and smuggled in a couple of bags of sweeties from Tesco :)
 Cars 2..... - mikeyb

>> They also, one Sunday, screened a Grand Prix live on the big screen which surprisingly,
>> went down very well.
>>

One of the multiplex's by us screes stuff other than films from time to time. They have done stand up comedy nights, and a few live feeds of pop concerts. Not sure how well they do though. Think they did an opera a while back.
Latest Forum Posts