Motoring Discussion > BMW 3-Series E90 - 318i SE - 1200 mile review Miscellaneous
Thread Author: DP Replies: 120

BMW 3-Series E90 - 318i SE - 1200 mile review - DP
Now had the BMW for 1200 miles and nearly 4 weeks, and thought I'd post a review to share my thoughts.

Performance:
Best described as adequate. In fairness, the 2.0 engine is a willing, sweet thing, but lacks low down torque, and needs revving to give its best. There's a marked pick up in the delivery past 3500 RPM, and a lovely deep chested growl in the upper half of the rev range. Kept buzzing, the engine is quite lively, but the simple fact is, it's disappointing after years of torquey, gutsy diesels.

Handling:
In a word, ace. Slightly unsettled ride, and a nervous, almost twitchy feeling over bumpy roads is a small price to pay for the lack of roll, fantastic response to the steering, and beautiful balance in long, fast corners. I still find the steering itself to be overlight, but it has zero freeplay, and the nose goes exactly where you point it. Even in 318 trim, it can be quite tail happy, particularly in the wet and if there's an unexpected bump mid corner. Superb brakes. Much more fun than its humble 318i badge and lowly position in the range would suggest. The M variant must be an absolute hoot.

Running costs:
Brim to brim it's averaging 35.1 mpg so far with mostly motorway and A-road work, and not sparing the horses. I'm sure 40 would be easily achievable if I were paying for the fuel ;-) Shows >50 mpg on the MPG gauge at 70 mph on the flat. Stop/Start system seems to have well thought out logic, and is rarely intrusive.

Living with:
Ergonomically superb, and beautifully constructed. Fabulous driving position gives a real sense of sitting "in" the car, rather than "on" it. Everything falls neatly to hand and foot, whether it's the stubby gearlever, or the pedals. Clear dials, quality materials, and not a squeak or rattle to be heard. Also very generous rear legroom compared to the mk4 Golf I am used to. A nice car to get into after a long, hard day at work. Feels "special" and expensive, to me anyway. Very low noise levels at sub 100 mph speeds, aside from a little more tyre roar than I would expect (runflats to blame here, I suspect). The lack of oil level dipstick and slow witted electronic oil level monitoring system, and of course the ridiculous indicator arrangement are both unnecessary and annoying. Answers to questions that nobody asked.

Equipment:
Not too shabby in SE trim. Dual zone climate, cruise control, decent CD/radio with Aux/iPod input in the central armrest, together with a 12v socket for charging. Auto wipers and (over sensitive) auto lights, folding mirrors, stability control, EBD, etc etc. Everything I need, and more.

Reliability:
Not perfect already. Has developed an intermittent misfire / hesitation on light throttle which is a total pain in the backside for an entire journey, then "cures" itself for days at a time. This is going to need attention, as is the clonk from the offside front suspension over severe bumps. It also popped a headlight bulb last week, but this was replaced in 10 minutes by the local dealer (Sytner Ascot) while I waited and drank coffee. They even washed the car before handing it back! :-)

Overall:
Lovely car. With a powerful diesel or a big petrol six under the bonnet, it would be pretty much perfect. Great to drive, nice to be in, a joy to thread down back lanes, and very comfortable on long hauls. Spacious, beautifully finished, well equipped and generally just a joy to drive. I find myself agreeing with the reviews which say that, as a complete package, and as a drivers car, it is incredibly difficult to fault. If it had more power, and if I could be sure the reliability glitches were down to the previous owner, I would actually be struggling for reasonable criticism.

Cheers
DP
Last edited by: DP on Thu 1 Sep 11 at 23:18
 BMW 3-Series E90 - 318i SE - 1200 mile review - legacylad
The trouble is DP that more begets more. For the first 6 months of ownership I was happy with my 330Ci, then I had an extended drive in a friends 335d. Now I would love a week or two with a V8 powered M3 just to see if I could live with the harder ride.
Financials apart, I think I could, but I daren't trust myself to even begin looking for a second hand one!
At 7yo, mine still has no squeaks or rattles, and to all intents and purposes the interior is almost factory fresh.
 BMW 3-Series E90 - 318i SE - 1200 mile review - Londoner
Thanks for the review, DP. As an ex-owner, I am always interested in what others think of the 3-series.

Glad you like it. Its nice to read a review where the owner is fundamentally satisfied. You are obviously a round peg, and the 3er is a round hole. (Unfortunately, I am a square peg. ;-) )

I'm happy to agree with everything you say though, except for the brakes. "Powerful" - yes. "Superb" - no. Like so many cars these days, the fine control is mediocre.

It sounds as if you'd really love a 6-cylinder diesel, but I reckon that the 320d would actually hit the sweet spot for you in terms of its combination of performance, driveability and economy. I'm sure you'll check it out thoroughly before ordering your next car.

>> Slightly unsettled ride, and a nervous, almost twitchy feeling over bumpy roads . .
I mentioned in another thread that this might be down to the tyres. Are they Continentals?
I noticed that when I changed to Bridgestones, the handling improved no end.
 BMW 3-Series E90 - 318i SE - 1200 mile review - idle_chatterer
Nice review, have to admit that the 6 cylinder diesel or petrol engine transforms the car - everything you like plus effortless performance and (I'd suggest) better economy in both guises ?

Personally I'd direct people to the 330d (I have to admit to a bias of course) - it is almost as quick as the 330i or 335d (6.2s 0-62mph versus 6.0s and 6.1s respectively IIRC) but (post 2009MY) delivers 45mpg+ without stop/start or the need to mimse. Too good to be true really and I don't see the point of the 325d - detuned, hardly faster than the 320d and with the same or worse fuel economy/emissions as the 330d.

I think the post 2009 4 cylinder cars miss a few nice to have features like standard fitment of cruise control and auto lights/wipers, the 330i/d and 335i/d also have uprated (very good) brakes with brake drying and more sophisticated cruise control functionality plus a front strut brace fitted which makes the handling even more precise perhaps ?

I resisted getting a BMW E91 due to the image but I never regretted my choice - the best car I have ever driven by a wide margin.
Last edited by: idle_chatterer on Fri 2 Sep 11 at 02:16
 BMW 3-Series E90 - 318i SE - 1200 mile review - rtj70
>> I don't see the point of the 325d

The detuned 3.0d that is badged 325d or 525d has been replaced by a 2.0 diesel I think. Makes more sense to me. The detuned version was no more efficient either.
 BMW 3-Series E90 - 318i SE - 1200 mile review - Fursty Ferret
I find the interior slightly too orange at night on my 120d. It's like sitting inside David Dickenson.

The 318i is also a detuned 320i. Little more than different software limiting the throttle opening if I understand correctly.
I like the orange glow. You need to soften it a little with the dimmer control on the computer menu though, or it can be a little tiring on the eyes.
 BMW 3-Series E90 - 318i SE - 1200 mile review - Skoda
I like the orange glow, it doesn't ruin night vision at all and it's just bright enough to easily read a ticket or whatever.

It is pretty uninspiring though. I used to really like the blue and red backlighting of VWs, thought it looked great, then i got bored of it and think it's tacky now.

Brilliant white is my new favourite (5000k LEDs), we'll see how long my current fad lasts...
 BMW 3-Series E90 - 318i SE - 1200 mile review - TeeCee
+1

I only buy cars with green or white dash lighting, orange makes me feel physically ill after any length of time for some reason.
BMW settled on orange after considerable study in the 60's and 70's. Orange was shown to cause the least fatigue on the eyes during night time driving, and it turns out people can recognize letters, numbers, and words within the least amount of time when illuminated in orange.

I agree that it does not look particularly attractive but BMW deserve much credit for choosing function over form.
 BMW 3-Series E90 - 318i SE - 1200 mile review - Jonwm
I've been keeping an eye on this thread, I've got a 318d M Sport coming the end of the month and as it was a hasty decision that needed to be made (Old car got recalled by the lease company) I never got to test drive one, quite looking forward to it after reading the comments.
I had completely forgotten about the orange glow. Suppose I will get used to it now with the nights drawing in, although I never felt I had been tangoed!
 BMW 3-Series E90 - 318i SE - 1200 mile review - Fursty Ferret
Very true, Londener, I find anything written in blue slightly blurry at night but red and orange are pin sharp. When the test took place, though, I wonder if BMW envisioned the ability to have the instruments backlit in daylight white?
 BMW 3-Series E90 - 318i SE - 1200 mile review - -
I really like BMW's in the main, competent and durable cars, but i'm no too sure about these dash colours.

MAN trucks i sometimes use at night are backlit red and the effect is about as much use as a chocolate teapot...couldn't be further removed from the tough simple unbreakeable machines they used to make if they tried.

Even the far too many switches on the steering wheel are backlit red, dont know why, you can't tell which is which.

Even the text and numbers on the radio are all but impossible to read in the dark, but hey it all looks good and would impress small boys.

Give me white illumination every time, and clearly read instruments and switches mounted where you can see them not for reasons of styling.

Oh and while i'm on the subject of switches, why don't they angle switches that light up when switched on towards the driver, whats the point in a switch tell tale letting you know it's on if you have to get your head down into the footwell to see the tiny pin prick of light...grr, rant over..;)
 BMW 3-Series E90 - 318i SE - 1200 mile review - R.P.
Never found the red backlighting an issue on any car - The Skoda's was green and effective, the CRV was sort of blue and effective, the MK5 Golf I had the blue/red business and agree that it was hard to focus on the blue elements...BMW dashboards are a little busy these days - I preferred the older versions - E46 was the acme of clarity and simplicity...
I really like the blue and red in the Golf. I find it very easy to read, and very easy on the eyes. The sharp red illumination of the radio and climate control buttons on the centre console is particularly lovely.

On the subject of lighting, another nice touch on the BMW is the blueish white "kerb lighting" that shines down at the floor from under the exterior door handles when you unlock the car. Apart from looking cool, it is amazingly effective.
That is the ultimate Teutonic coolness thing - totally cool...ice cold.
One of those things that made me smile the first time I saw it :-)

I'm surprised you find the E90 dash busy, R.P. I think it looks almost spartan. Apart from the climate control and stereo, there are only two other buttons between the left hand side of the steering wheel and the passenger door. One for starting/stopping the engine, and another to turn the Stop/Start system off. There is quite a big expanse of empty plastic and "aluminium". They've even resisted the temptation to fill the gearlever surround with buttons. It's all quite elegant really, as I say to the point of looking quite basic.

Last edited by: DP on Sat 3 Sep 11 at 14:45
I forgot about the little cluster of 3 - hazard lights, traction control and door lock/unlock. Still not busy though
My car's in for a brake fluid change and some mysterious fault on the radio so it's in dock for the day. BMW in Conwy have given me a rather mean looking 320 Touring - brand new and fresh out of the box. First time I've driven a rwd BMW for a few years. Good review by the OP - everything he says is true.

The interior feels a little dated compared to the X1 which seems a generation ahead, this one is fully stocked with leather and iDrive but no heated seats (!), no auto lights or wipers (which makes it feel down specced) - it's a conventional auto - with a good old fashioned kick-down. Much quieter than the X1 despite running on 30 profile 19" black - yes black alloys - ludicrous privacy glass. Goes like stink - may unleash it on some of my favourite twisty bits later and remember why these cars delight so much.
no
>> auto lights or wipers (which makes it feel down specced) -

and the one to own once warranty expires.

Seeing lots of black alloys now, still not sure about them, maybe cos too many boy racers in 10 year old heaps have el cheapo alloys in black maybe.
They look awful on this car - even the service guy was giggled. I'll upload a photo shortly.
Have you got the 4WD version of the X1, RP?
If I had to get a BMW again, that's the one I would go for because it ticks all the boxes.
Yep the 2.0 Xdrive - I'd be tempted to a petrol next time around - talk that BMW will be importing the petrol version in the next upgrade.
 BMW 3-Series E90 - 318i SE - 1200 mile review - Runfer D'Hills
I might change my company car at the end of the year. Not sure yet. It's complicated.

However, the budget is reasonably open ended without being limitless of course. Given that it will be funded by an employer one of the crucial factors is bik tax.

Been sniffing around 3 series tourings but suspect I'd find them a bit small. I've had 3s and 5s before but not for a long time.

5 series touring with the 2.0d engine looks like a lot of car without silly tax levels, Audi A6 Avant with a 2.0d looks good too. Might even look at an E class estate but would have to go for an auto with them having that silly handbrake. How the chuff do you do a hill start on a manual merc?

Conversely, I might either hang on to the current Qashqai or get another one or something similar. It's a heck of a lot of kit for the money in the spec I have and while it fails to excite it does most things well enough. I've come to like things like the auto box, the panoramic roof, the xenons, the leather, the bluetooth etc.

There's a lot of good kit about now. Might even go for a tarted up Mondy estate.

:-)
www.flickr.com/photos/67389469@N02/6146457681/in/photostream

A photo of the beast.....and the dog who sneaks into eery photo he can.
I can't open that. It wants a password. Dunno about anyone else?
www.flickr.com/photos/67389469@N02/sets/72157627668328280/

Should be fixed now.
It looks like it was styled by someone who used to think Maxpower was a classy read...

Bet it goes alright though.
Like stink in a diesely sort of way
 BMW 3-Series E90 - 318i SE - 1200 mile review - Zero
Send me a copy of that photo rob, and will send you one back that you can actually see the detail!
 BMW 3-Series E90 - 318i SE - 1200 mile review - Dog
Don't look like a beemer to me, could be anything €uropean, Jap and knees, Cor! rean etc., etc.
This photo is private.

Oops! You don't have permission to view this photo.
Oh dear white with black wheels, looks like you posted the negative... did they forget to fit tyres?

A mean looking 11 plate M3 came past yesterday or day before, matt black with black wheels, that did look nice for a millisecond.
Last edited by: gordonbennet on Wed 14 Sep 11 at 13:06
 BMW 3-Series E90 - 318i SE - 1200 mile review - Iffy
...Oh dear white with black wheels...

Just as I was thinking it didn't look too bad.

I wonder if black wheels look best, or least worst, on a white car.

Trust me iffy - worse...I would have to change them....the narrow band tyres would be binned as well. It has a large electric sun-roof - that's black as well.
The wheel area does have a redeeming feature, no 17 year old designer decided that bright red/blue/yellow brake calipers would enhance the look.
Off now for a gentle drive through the mountains to the dealer.

Zeddo - E-mailed you the photo - it was a low resolution upload and photo'd through the Otterbox's opaque lens..!
 BMW 3-Series E90 - 318i SE - 1200 mile review - WillDeBeest
White estate car with black wheels. Where's Mr Skoda when we need him?
 BMW 3-Series E90 - 318i SE - 1200 mile review - madf
Are you a drug dealer on the side RP? You have chosen the correct car type and colour combination for one :-)
Normality resumes - X1 back home having been fettered...
 BMW 3-Series E90 - 318i SE - 1200 mile review - Pat
You have email!

Pat
Got it Pat - I'll sort it after my lovingly prepared tea (pizza)

Car's gone back now - I drove it through Llanberis to Betws and then a back road to Conwy. This gave the car a chance to see if it had BMW DNA - despite its looks it had. The Autobox in manual mode provided very smooth progress and despite poor surfaces in some places, it positively reeked of fun....everything is just right about these cars and the engine didn't let it down. When I dropped it off at the dealer he mentioned that the wheels were an incredible 3.2k extra...forget it. This is clearly a run-out special as the new 3 is due very soon - as mentioned above this car would be a good buy for someone...

The X1's driving position is better (IMO) the dash layout is marginally better in the final analysis - I'd buy either one like a shot.
*chuckles*
I couldn't feel more different, RP!
What a funny old world to have humans who can be so radically different in their tastes! *chuckles again*
New 3 series on show at Frankfurt - can't be as bad looking as the current one.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Wed 14 Sep 11 at 22:03
>> New 3 series on show at Frankfurt - can't be as bad looking as the
>> current one.
>>
Can't agree with you there, I'm afraid. I think that the 3-series coupe is one of the most handsome cars on the road. Attractive lines and sporty in a tastefully restrained way.
Not as nice as equivalent offerings from VAG, I'll grant you! ;-)
I agree....from the spy shots on the web - not much change. Unless it was F30 mechanicals being run in a current bodystyle.

www.carmagazine.co.uk/Secret-new-cars/Search-Results/Your-spyshots/Mercedes-Benz-CLC-2013-a-reader-scoop/

Plus ça change
Last edited by: R.P. on Wed 14 Sep 11 at 22:58
>> Can't agree with you there, I'm afraid. I think that the 3-series coupe is one of the most handsome cars

Was thinking about the saloon mostly. The estate is not too bad either. But BMW used to produce good looking cars and seem to have lost it a bit.

The 6 series 4 door coupe will look good though in my opinion at least.

>> Not as nice as equivalent offerings from VAG, I'll grant you! ;-)

I think the new headlights on the revised A4 and A5 are a step in the wrong direction.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Wed 14 Sep 11 at 23:07
www.flickr.com/photos/67389469@N02/sets/72157627675009960/

X1s home on its slightly leary MSport wheels.
Last edited by: R.P. on Thu 15 Sep 11 at 10:50
That looks better, imagine the locals are relieved...you didn't sport a baseball cap whilst driving the estate to give 'em the jitters?

Is that the RP stables going up in the background?
For someone who is not a fan of the badge or regular 4x4 types, I have to say that your X1 looks great!
What's with the chrome step thing on the side? Are you vertically challenged?

It looks like a dreadful chrome running board doesn't it....well it is isn't you'll be relieved to hear.
I have to agree with L. White suits the shape somehow, and there's nowt lairy about them wheels - not at that resolution anyway!

Two questions:
1. Is there a 2WD option?
2. If so, can I have mine with a red leather interior?
Last edited by: WillDeBeest on Thu 15 Sep 11 at 11:58
There is a two wheel drive version called the S drive. Mine has a rather orangy brown leather interior - not for the feint hearted...

Forgot to mention the 3 series had a double sun-roof....that was pretty impressive - I'm beginning to want one..!
Have you seen the double sun-roof in the Mercedes C-class Estate? Very, very nice.

Time for me to fess up and lose any shred of credibility that I might have had.

The CD250 Estate was my first choice of car when I chopped the BMW in April. Despite my frequent criticism of estate cars, I wanted one - it's THAT good.

Unfortunately, I couldn't work out a deal (too expensive) so went for the Audi instead.
Must be really sickening driving round in your second choice car, must be a constant reminder

;)
>> Must be really sickening driving round in your second choice car, must be a constant
>> reminder
>>
It is. I cry myself to sleep every night. Then I have nightmares that I'm driving a Jap car.

The one crumb of comfort is that the Audi is front wheel drive, and all the best people drive FWD.
Is my Qashqai Japanese? It was designed in Britain, made in Sunderland which I think is in Britain anyway and it has a Renault engine apparently.

So, is it Japanese ?
EDit - Not that I mind really. Just curious.
Last edited by: Humph D'Bout on Thu 15 Sep 11 at 17:51
 BMW 3-Series E90 - 318i SE - 1200 mile review - Dog
>>Is my Qashqai Japanese? It was designed in Britain, made in Sunderland which I think is in Britain anyway and it has a Renault engine apparently<<

That's a very good question, and the simple answer is yes and no.
As Nissan is more or less owned by Renault, Its French.

Bon chance mon ami
 BMW 3-Series E90 - 318i SE - 1200 mile review - Skoda
Not a merc fan but the elec sliding boot floor in some of the estates strikes me as a cracking gadget.
One of these toyed with me on a deserted A55 one evening recently - I've feeling he thought the X1 was an unmarked Police car - before he booted it into the far distance - not a Merc man in any sense, but I was deeply attracted to this one.

tinyurl.com/6d4wync
Last edited by: R.P. on Thu 15 Sep 11 at 19:19
You want one of those little owls Rob !

BMW 3-Series E90 - 318i SE - 1200 mile review - corax
He's showing off again. Posting in super wide screen.
Sorry it wrapped over on my browser.
A pile of mine recently got a new Scirocco. In white. With black wheels.I am still not sure about the colour combination, but its a million times better than another neighbours metallic chocolate coloured X1.
Yuk and double yuk.
Last edited by: legacylad on Fri 16 Sep 11 at 22:54
I saw a particularly horrid one today an S drive (basic) in pukey green.....horrid. Saw an X6 in red and it was still er....striking ! Mind you they say it's a superb drive.
I'd agree an X6 is striking - but it's pointless. But the 5 GT or whatever it's called should be disallowed - hideous. The current 3 series saloon was hit by the ugly stick a bit too.

I wonder what post-Bangle BMW will show this week in Frankfurt apart from the i3. I know the new BMW 3 series is on show.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Fri 16 Sep 11 at 23:14
Loads of people at work are delaying ordering their cars as long as possible in anticipation of the new 3.
There's rumoured to be a 1.6 litre, 150 bhp 3 pot diesel with 90-something g/km CO2 emissions in the line up. Will cost pocket change in BiK terms.
>> Loads of people at work are delaying ordering their cars as long as possible in
>> anticipation of the new 3.
>> There's rumoured to be a 1.6 litre, 150 bhp 3 pot diesel with 90-something g/km
>> CO2 emissions in the line up. Will cost pocket change in BiK terms.
>>

But only has half a proper BMW engine, you'll always know it..... maybe tick the 'badge delete option' to save the shame and spec up ridiculous bling wheels to compensate for the inadequacy that the driver must truly be feeling ?
Last edited by: idle_chatterer on Sat 17 Sep 11 at 07:49

>> But only has half a proper BMW engine, you'll always know it..... maybe tick the
>> 'badge delete option' to save the shame and spec up ridiculous bling wheels to compensate
>> for the inadequacy that the driver must truly be feeling ?

Unfortunately, it is the way the world is going, and while punitive CO2 based taxation continues, it's not going to change anytime soon.
Personally speaking, if the engine delivers the goods and has decent levels of refinement, I would seriously consider it.
Have since read however that this engine will be reserved for the 1 series. All specjlation of course.
I trust BMW on engines.
 BMW 3-Series E90 - 318i SE - 1200 mile review - Falkirk Bairn
>> I'd agree an X6 is striking - but it's pointless.

Son has a year old X6, replaced an X5.....he loves it.

Rest of family think it ugly, his wife says it is too small (inside) new baby with prams, carrycots etc..............but my son maintains it is his best car ever.......and he has bought more than a few.
In Hong Kong both the X6 and the 5 GT are very popular indeed - along with the Mercedes R-class and the Porsche Panamera / Cayenne and Audi Q7 twins.

Taste seems to differ between markets, cars which are the subject of jokes in the UK are the height of fashion when ostentation is culturally acceptable - it is for these markets I suspect these cars were designed.

Still pointless though imho....
I actually like the 5GT. Not aesthetically, I grant you - although a metallic blue one down the hill from my house looks rather nice - but because it's a proper travelling car, the sort in which I'd look forward to taking the family to the south of France. Four good seats and a big boot that's both easy to load like an estate, and secure when closed like a saloon.

Of course, the Audi A7 ticks the same boxes while looking more like an Aston Martin, but the 5GT did it first.
The X6 is a fine motor by any measure - not fine looking but dynamically a superb car. Can't fit baby gear in an X5 !!!!!! Wonder how people manage with little hatchbacks ?
I read that as the X6 that wouldn't take the baby gear, RP. Still a poor show for a thing that big.

I saw another 5GT today, this time coming towards me. As I became aware of it (it's a bit big to merely notice) it occurred to me that from the front it resembles one of those cream-and-green Leyland coaches from the 1950s that one still occasionally sees in fairground convoys. Probably weighs about the same too.

I still like it as an idea, but yes, it's a bit of a munter.
I wouldn't call the 5GT ugly overall - just a car with a few visual oddities from certain angles.

Allegedly, BMW will be making a GT version of the next 3-series. Same concept as the 5GT but smaller. I'm willing to bet that the 3GT will be a very handsome car, however. (and be more of a success than the 5GT)
Last edited by: Londoner on Sat 17 Sep 11 at 16:27
 BMW 3-Series E90 - 318i SE - 1200 mile review - Avant
You don't put baby gear in a 5 GT or an X6 (which must be each other's competition in a restricted market). You drive it one-up to work where as sales director you show off by dwarfing the MD's E-class and the FD's A6. You are mean with your own money and buy your wife a secondhand Zafira for ferrying babies etc.

You show off again by taking clients out in it - who do a deal next day for a lower price with a Japanese company whose sales director drives a Toyota.
Chuckling and nodding in agreement at the same time :-)
There is an X6 in the village - in fact the only X6 in the village. I saw it today lumbering out of a narrow gateway into a narrow lane - as big as some of the houses here - looked a little out of place. There's also a TVR Griffith here as well - which I rather like.
>> There's also a TVR Griffith here as well - which I rather like.

One of the best sounding road cars ever made. Truly gorgeous noise. Makes me smile every time I hear one burble past.
It was in the same lane, I sensed it before I heard it and knew it was something special. I think it's garaged, the owner seems to have an eminently sensible Passat for everyday use.
 BMW 3-Series E90 - 318i SE - 1200 mile review - nyx2k
that 5.0lr engine was the main reason for buying my Griffith 500 in bright yellow.
Just a postscript to the postings about the black wheeled pimp-mobile...

I was overtaken by an all-black version of the same car - all the chrome was blacked out as where the wheels. Totally different proposition - I want one !
OK, a quick parting review, as this car goes back tomorrow, to be replaced with a 10 plate 318d ES which I will keep until my F30 320d ED turns up end Feb - early April.

The car had its first MOT today, four days 'early', at just shy of 48,000 miles. It passed, of course. I have put just shy of 6,000 miles on the car since I picked it up in August, and despite the odd issue, have very much enjoyed the car. It's averaged 31.3 mpg over the period (calculated with mileage and receipts), which isn't very good, but then I haven't exactly mimsed in it either. :-)

Reliability has not been perfect. The intermittent misfire I reported in my original post was always a feature of the car, although it was massively improved by a software update and new oxygen sensor a month or so ago after it went into limp mode and put its MIL on. BMW Assist were very courteous and professional, and tended to the car in the office car park, where they found several fault codes. The subsequent dealer visit organised as a result of this episode resulted in the software and sensor work. Yet I don't think it has been completely cured. Oh sure, there's no more limp mode hysterics or anything like that, but there is a slight, intermittent hesitation on large throttle openings that is not my imagination.

As a drivers car, everything you read about these cars is true, and then some. Despite being quite underpowered in 318i guise, it says a lot that even now, I still haven't tired of driving it. The sheer balance, and light footedness of the thing is deeply impressive, and keeps you interested long after the novelty of neck snapping straightline pace wears off (although both would be ideal). You can drive it right up to the limit of mechanical grip, and overstep it sometimes, with all the systems turned off, in total confidence. It will do its RWD thing quite happily, but never intimidates, snaps or bites. Transition from grip to slide is progressive, and the fast, accurate steering never leaves you wanting for anything apart from perhaps a tad less 'artificial' weighting. Electric PAS is evil in all cars though. You can't really blame BMW for this. At least they've got the gearing and accuracy just so. Even at nearly 50,000 miles, the faintest perceptible steering input has a measurable effect on the direction of the car. It's incredible.

And that brings me on to the most impressive thing. I know 50k isn't exactly starship mileage, but you would possibly expect a slight loss of 'crispness', or possibly a minor creak or squeak from somewhere. Yet there is absolutely nothing of the sort here. I've since found out more about the life this car had (let's just say employee who left on bad terms, kept it for two weeks, and returned it with a number of "issues"), yet to sit in and drive down the road, it feels like it's never worked hard in its life. No slack, slop or play anywhere. Just well oiled tautness. Body control still A1, no hint of wear whatsoever. Of course without direct comparison with a new model, I can't say this with total authority, but if I got in it and the odometer read 5,000 miles, I wouldn't have any grounds to disbelieve it.

Really have grown to like this car. And I will miss it. Even though I suspect the 318d will be even better.
If it gets very cold, and you have snow/ice near you, it would be interesting the have your comments on how it handles then.
+1
It's now well into December and we've yet to see anything as serious as a decent overnight frost in these parts. I'm not worrying too much. Yet. :-)
Last edited by: DP on Wed 7 Dec 11 at 22:39
 BMW 3-Series E90 - 318i SE - 1200 mile review - PeterS
>> It's now well into December and we've yet to see anything as serious as a
>> decent overnight frost in these parts. I'm not worrying too much. Yet. :-)
>>

No need to worry at all IMO; my experience of BMWs and snow covers the E30 325i, the E46 330d and the E61 525d/535d - they're absolutely fine! Worst of the lot was the 525d, but that was in M Sport spec with 18" wheels. Even so, it was more controllable than our A4 (albeit on 18" wheels) was the winter before last.

Not at all worried about this winter, after all, the Merc's wheels are only a bit wider than those fitted to the 525d ;-) Having said that, our A4 is currently shod with winter wheels/tyres...
IIRC a colleague of mine had an E90 320i which had problems with a persistent misfire which eventually resulted in coils being replaced and the car being off the road.

The 318d will be a nice car - missing 2 cylinders and 1000cc of course but you can't have everything ;-)
 BMW 3-Series E90 - 318i SE - 1200 mile review - Hard Cheese

Is it a misfire or could it be a slight fluffiness at even throttle that it noticable on some lean burn engines?

Is it a new job that has got you into company cars then DP?

Yes Cheddar, I started a new job in August which has taken me back into the company car game.
It's become a heck of a lot more expensive since I was last in it 5 years ago, but then so has motoring in general, I suppose.
I realise how much I have missed completely hassle and pain free motoring. The tax would need to double before I'd opt out.
OK, so that's why people rave about BMW diesels.....

Full review in due course, but I wasn't expecting it to be quite that satisfying. Knocks the petrol into a cocked hat, quite frankly. If these two have the same power output in reality, I will eat my hat.
>> OK, so that's why people rave about BMW diesels.....
>>
>> Full review in due course, but I wasn't expecting it to be quite that satisfying.
>> Knocks the petrol into a cocked hat, quite frankly. If these two have the same
>> power output in reality, I will eat my hat.

Wait until you get a 320d. I've been in a workmates sport version, given to him as a loan car before he got his touring delivered to him. Ridiculous grunt for the size of engine. Firm ride for passengers though probably a lot more fun for the driver. He had the swirl flaps removed and blanking plates fitted - not that it'll worry you.
That 320 I had on loan whilst the X1 was being fettled was an incredible dynamic car...In fact there has been some musing as having a 3 series tonight....just too expensive compared to the V50 we've seen.

>> dynamic car...In fact there has been some musing as having a 3 series tonight....just too
>> expensive compared to the V50 we've seen.

And rather too vulgar for a country gent.
Them black alloys was.
Be alright with a couple of spaniels in the back though. With a V50 he'd have to leave an Akela outfit hanging from the rear grab handle. Careful not to lose your woggle under heavy braking PU...

Sorry.....

:-))))
Going from a fun car like the MX5 to a Volvo V50.... no get the BMW. She will miss the rear wheel drive otherwise. Being a biker and all.

Me, I prefer front wheel drive although the only rear wheel drive car I have driven was an Omega. And in the snow on the way home I did have to correct a slide otherwise I'd have run into a police car whilst slowing for traffic lights :-) That was probably 1996. Or was it early 1997?
He had the swirl flaps removed and blanking plates fitted - not that it'll worry you.
>>

PMW Chelmsford by any chance C?, had two family 320d's done there, seriously good garage i believe, wish we were a bit closer.
Last edited by: gordonbennet on Thu 8 Dec 11 at 22:57
>> He had the swirl flaps removed and blanking plates fitted - not that it'll worry
>> you.
>> >>
>> PMW Chelmsford by any chance C?, had two family 320d's done there, seriously good garage
>> i believe, wish we were a bit closer.

The very same. The boss Peter Mould used to work as an apprentice at my local garage where my mechanic Kevin Marshall taught him. Kevin has no worries about his abilities but does worry that he overcharges. Caring for his customers as always - very lucky to have him on my doorstep. And PMW.

>> OK, so that's why people rave about BMW diesels.....
>>
>> Full review in due course, but I wasn't expecting it to be quite that satisfying.
>> Knocks the petrol into a cocked hat, quite frankly. If these two have the same
>> power output in reality, I will eat my hat.
>>

Reckon you need to eat your hat, the 318i and 318d are same power though produced 2000ish rpm apart, of course what you are noticing is the torque which is what enables the d to produce the same power at lower rpm.

You can see why I like the 123d, 25% more torque and 40% more power as well as more refinement (IMO compared to a 118d).

However our 120i is also satisfying, it is good to stretch a willing petrol engine every now and then.

>> Reckon you need to eat your hat, the 318i and 318d are same power though
>> produced 2000ish rpm apart, of course what you are noticing is the torque which is
>> what enables the d to produce the same power at lower rpm.

Agreed, but really it's more power at lower rpm. At any point under about 4,000 RPM, the diesel will be producing significantly more torque (and therefore power) than the petrol. Head towards 5000 RPM, the diesel runs out of puff, and the petrol's output keeps climbing.

There is no comparison in terms of driver satisfaction and real world performance between the 318i and 318d. The latter is significantly faster everywhere unless wringing the revs out, is actually quieter and smoother, and can at least manage a consistent delivery without any fluffiness or hesitation. Perhaps my biggest bugbear with the 318i. Never felt like it was running quite right. Yet dealers said it was. And driving a couple of others on the fleet suggested it was too.

>> delivery without any fluffiness or hesitation. Perhaps my biggest bugbear with the 318i. Never felt like it was running quite right. Yet dealers said it was. And driving a couple of others on the fleet suggested it was too. >>

I think that perhaps is a lean burn characteristic that affects '07 on ED -18is (143) and -20is (170). Our pre-facelift 120i Sport (150) does not exhibit such and is good to drive, revs cleanly and crisply.

BMW 3-Series E90 - 318i SE - 1200 mile review - Dave_
I drove a brand new 320d EfficientDynamics just under 100 miles earlier this week to deliver it to its new keeper, and had to bring back a 32k mile 58 plate 320d.

The new 'un seemed rather slow and ponderous, although the shift change indicator came on at 1500rpm and encouraged driving around in 5th or 6th gears at not much more than idle. The new iDrive computer system was terrific, plenty of info there to keep me amused all the way there and a seamlessly integrated TMC traffic monitor built in to the satnav. The car would take some running-in obviously, but showed a trip mpg of 76.3.

The 3 year old car in comparison seemed tight, alive almost, and instantly felt "right" to drive - amazing what a few miles does to a car. The iDrive was much more basic, it felt like comparing Windows 98 against Windows 7. On both cars the start/stop system worked exactly as I wanted it to - the gent from whom I picked it up said he hated it and switched it off every time he got in the car, but I found it to be genuinely useful. You don't have to come to a dead halt either, it works if you're rolling down a slope in a queue at 3 or 4mph. Coming back up I could only get 68mpg, but it wasn't an ED model.

It was only when I got back in my car that I realised how small the 3-series is inside. I'd still love to drive one though.
 BMW 3-Series E90 - 318i SE - 1200 mile review - TeeCee
>> I'd agree an X6 is striking - but it's pointless.
>>

I saw an X6 with a factory body kit on it the other day. Bloke behind the wheel was wearing a white shirt unbuttoned, I swear I could see a medallion.
There was something very "wrong" about it, which took me a while to work out....

It was the way the wheels stopped going round when it stopped. It *really* needed those rotating spinner things to complete the picture.
>> It was only when I got back in my car that I realised how small the 3-series is inside.

I sat in the back of an A4 a few weeks back for the first time. I then realised how small that is too. And it's bigger than the current 3 series. There's is no way the A4 would have been big enough when I have passengers in the back.
Now racked up 400 miles in this 318d ES, and had time to form some impressions.

Dropping from SE to ES spec, you lose some rather nice bits of kit, it has to be said. The fancy dual zone climate control panel is replaced by a rather cheap looking, albeit perfectly functional conventional heater / air-con system. Cruise control disappears too (not that I ever used it), as do the rear parking sensors, rain sensing wipers, auto lights, and the cool, ice blue puddle lights under the exterior door handlles. The nice 17" alloys have also gone, replaced by much more plain looking 16" affairs, with skinnier 205/55 section tyres. This particular example is also black, which I don't think does the E90 shape any favours at all, personally.

All this was initially a little disappointing, given that most of it smacks you in the face within seconds of, if not clapping eyes on the car, then at least wandering around it. It looks and feels cheaper than the older SE, not just in kit terms, but things like the "leather" of the gear lever and handbrake gaiters which is clearly now PVC, and the steering wheel rim which feels skinnier and has a different texture. Despite the same flawless quality of the interior, it very much feels like the 'bargain basement' spec model that I suppose it is.

Thankfully, it gets better on the move. Much better, in fact. First thing you notice is the far superior ride quality offered by those skinnier, higher profile tyres. While the other car rode well enough, it was always on the firm side of comfy. In the ES, there is no crash or thump over the notorious "third" sleeping policeman on the drive up to the office, and on the rutted Surrey B-roads outside, it feels supple and planted. Gone is the fidgeting and tramlining from the nose over awkward cambers, and the constant thumping from the suspension. It flows better, somehow, almost feels lighter on its feet, even though it probably isn't. Smaller is definitely better when it comes to wheels on a BMW.

If there's any handling penalty for the "heavy" diesel lump, I haven't found it, although a peer under the bonnet sees the engine rammed hard back against the bulkhead and well behind the front axle line. Turn in is still instantaneous, the tail still beautifully 'alive' when you're in the mood (more so thanks to greater torque and skinnier tyres), and the better ride afforded by the smaller wheels actually makes this the preferable of the two cars to drive hard, in my opinion. The steering is also heavier than the petrol version, and while this doesn't really endow it with any more feel, does somehow give it a more reassuring, substantial feel when pressing on. The wonderful accuracy and zero slack of the petrol version's steering are both carried over unspoilt.

And to the engine, which has a transformative effect on the experience compared to the 318i petrol unit that eclipses all the above by some margin. Quite simply, it's a belter of a unit. Gripes are limited to two areas. Firstly the rumbly, "unmistakeably diesel" note, and "boom" at 2200 RPM, are both a football field short of the refinement and decorum of a Renault common rail diesel from best part of a decade ago. Secondly, there is a bit more turbo lag than I was expecting, especially compared to the VAG PD in our mk4 Golf, with a perceptible delay between asking for power, and getting it.

That really is it on the whinge front though, because it's a corker of a unit. One of the smoothest, gutsiest diesel engines I've ever driven with a range of useable punch all the way between 1500 and 5000 RPM. Prod the accelerator, and it simply lobs the car up the road with a smooth, sustained lunge. While it's no land speed record breaker, neither does it ever feel underpowered. Laden, unladen, uphill, downhill, it just goes when you ask it to. It is also one of the best motorway cruisers I have experienced. 70 mph in 6th = 1750 RPM, and there's still enough torque to accelerate you reasonably swiftly, or pull you effortlessly up a hill. Very long legged, and with less road noise and a smoother ride than the other car (those wheels and tyres again)

Haven't refuelled yet, but computer suggests a 46.3 mpg average so far on this tank. Given the way it's been driven, and some of the traffic conditions encountered, that's a pretty impressive figure. Assuming it's even half accurate, the car should be easily capable of well over 50 mpg with more gentle use.

I look forward to driving it for the next couple of months.
Last edited by: DP on Tue 13 Dec 11 at 11:59
So if you like this one, you're going to love the new 320d ED when it arrives next year :-)

I assume emissions and list price for the 318d ES is lower than a 318i SE? If so, you'll also be paying less tax between now and April. If that's the case, it will make up for the lower spec.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Tue 13 Dec 11 at 12:09
Excellent reviews DP, fair too.

Can't say as i've noticed lag from the BMW Diesels i've driven so its possible this one is maybe running a little on the weak side, or needs some minor care and attention, arguably more likely to be found when a competent indy services such a car.

The ride thing does highlight the problem that makers still fit ever larger wheels with correspondingly lower tyre walls as the spec increases, maybe there are tick boxes at order time to enable an SE to have normal wheels, though few would tick the box as when resale time comes many buyers still want form over function.

Your review incidentally would sell me the ES over the SE for a more pertinent reason, far less to go wrong (and i prefer a thinner steering wheel), which isn't a worry for company car users and new car buyers but is a major consideration for used car buyers who avoid electrical fripperies of little use but likely to fail.
Last edited by: gordonbennet on Tue 13 Dec 11 at 13:44
I've been in a 320d with sports seats. Are the standard seats any good?
I prefer the "sports seats" (in my X1) The 320 I had a play with as a loan car didn't, it was down on thigh support, dont think it had that brilliantly design pull out extension on the squab to give back of the knee support.

>> >> that brilliantly design pull out extension on the squab to give back of the knee support.>>

Our '10 123d M-Sport and '05 120i Sport both have that, a nice feature, SEs I have driven don't, same with the 3-Series I think.

DP says that the 318d is pulling 1750 at 70mph, that's much the same as a 116d/118d/120d (1800 ish rpm at 70mph), the 123d is lower geared (around 2000rpm at 70) and better for it IMO, pulls from below 50mph is top and is very refined at motorway speeds.

AFAIAA the 320d ED is even higher geared which would be a concern for me, might be worth looking into.

The higher gearing helps with statutory consumption and CO2 figures though in the real world I am not so sure due to extra gear changing i.e. 5th below 60mph and 3rd required in a 30 limit etc.

RP - How would you compare the sports seats of your X1 with the seats in the Volvo V50?(Supposed to be good according to owner reviews)
I only had a half hour drive in the passenger seat - they felt pretty good, the R design seats in the one we're looking at are sporty types...
>> I only had a half hour drive in the passenger seat

How did you reach the clutch from there?

:)
My darling wife's intended ! :-) She had her licence in her purse, I forgotten my man-bag.
 BMW 3-Series E90 - 318i SE - 1200 mile review - Dave_
>> far less to go wrong, ...which isn't a worry for company car users ...but is a major consideration for
>> used car buyers who avoid electrical fripperies of little use but likely to fail.

Also less gadgets = lower insurance group, also important in the used market.
Last edited by: Dave_TDCi on Tue 13 Dec 11 at 17:03
>> Also less gadgets = lower insurance group, also important in the used market.
>>

Hadn't thought about that, is there a difference between an ES and an SE for the same engine?
Latest Forum Posts