Motoring Discussion > car policy sting ( hire car after a claim) Tax / Insurance / Warranties
Thread Author: henry k Replies: 3

car policy sting ( hire car after a claim) - henry k
www.dailymail.co.uk/money/article-1264048/Watch-car-policy-sting.html

... third-party accident management firms .....
daily rental rate of £573.38 was far higher than it would normally cost.

Has anyone fallen foul of this?
 car policy sting ( hire car after a claim) - -
Bit steep that and obviously an extreme case due to the rather ludicrous 'need' for such a vehicle.

I can fully understand a commercial traveller needing something reasonable to be able to continue their craft, likewise the taxi driver etc, the likely increased costs of substantial hire car should have been built into the premium thoough anyway.

The whole accident management industry seems to have got out of hand, and i hope the insurance companies get together and come to some sort of agreement about stopping this stupidity and while they are about it sort out the ridiculous claimsRus crew.

We reasonable motorists who if we should have an accident try to mitigate the costs are paying ever increasing premiums for all this rubbish.

car policy sting ( hire car after a claim) - Westpig
6 years or so back when my chosen repairer didn't have a courtesy car available and I found out i'd been 'had over' by my insurance co. (the courtesy car entitlement I thought i'd have available as part of the premium, was some form of wishy washy middle of the road set up i.e. courtesy car IF AVAILABLE, not as a definite)...the repairer put me on to an accident claim company and they gave me a Merc C class instead of my Jag...for a month.

The 3rd party insurer never coughed up...and the accident claim co. did not ask me for a bean, as they'd promised all along they wouldn't. They were a decent set up and i'd have no hesitation in recommending them...'Bristol and London', based in Bristol.

2 years back, my wife's car got clonked...and her insurer a well known supermarket group actually put us on to an accident claim co. right from the word go, rather than deal with it themselves...only this time as my sister is in that field she advised me to steer clear as the lot I was put on to have a poor reputation in the industry and were the types to hassle the motorist to get their money back if it all went wrong. Still managed to get a Land Rover Discovery out of them for 2 weeks though.

I agree that sort of thing just costs the industry a silly amount of money, which we all have to pay for with our premiums...trouble is a crap box versus something decent appeals to me, so my principles go out the window.
Last edited by: Webmaster on Mon 12 Apr 10 at 01:16
 car policy sting ( hire car after a claim) - mikeyb
Westpig - I know bristol and london - their office is a few hundred yards from my house! They are actualy just over the county border into north somerset.

I believe that they were struggling a bit, but they do sometimes knock out some of their fleet from the front of their offices - seen some nice BMW's up for grabs.

I used an outfit called help hire about 4 years back - gave me a mitsubishi colt for 6 weeks which came to about 800 quid. They offered me a waiver type policy whereby I paid a tenner up front for an insurance policy that they could recover their costs against in the event that they couldnt get their money back from the third party after 12 months. As it happens it was an open and shut case and they got their money back
Latest Forum Posts