Motoring Discussion > 2 smashes in 12 hours! Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Ian (Cape Town) Replies: 6

2 smashes in 12 hours! - Ian (Cape Town)
One of my works colleagues came in this morning - 5am - and started telling a tale of woe - her Yaris been scraped along the left side by some speeding tow-trucker, trying to squeeze between lines of traffic en route to an accident. dinged door and front fender, mirror knocked off, etc. She was not happy.
As she finishes her tale, the security guard walks in - some drunken woman has driven into her car, which is parked outside.
Went down to have a look - the Yaris has been rear-ended by an i20, back end smashed in, shunted 3m down the road, front wheel has hit kerb and tyre is flat. Bizarre - she'd parked in the first inset bay after a kerbstone (if that makes sense), so the i20 driver had obviously come over the kerb before hitting her!

i20 stuffed - front end pouring out radiator water, locked in gear so unmovable.
The driver was absolutely tinkered, and could hardly stand.
Cue cops - who load the woman into a van, and off to the breathylyser station.
Meanwhile the guy who'd been a passenger in the car (he was asleep, he claims ) organises tow truck etc. Pull i20 back, I try to open Yaris boot - no go.
Get in through rear door - problem now is that the spare is jammed into the well by the impact on the back crossbeam.

Good news though, my colleague's insurers are on the ball - sending a towtruck and a courtesy car as we speak.

Meanwhile the muppet passenger (who was also tanked up) is going on about how the damage on the i20 ain't too bad, and he's sure the insurance will sort it out easily. Yeah, riiiiiight!

If bad things happen in threes, should i go over and kick my colleague in the shins, just so she can get it over and done with?
 2 smashes in 12 hours! - Skoda
That's quite impressive for the rear ender, over a kerb but still enough momentum to do that. Hope it gets sorted quickly for her.

2 smashes in 12 hours! - Ian (Cape Town)
>> That's quite impressive for the rear ender, over a kerb but still enough momentum to
>> do that.

Indeed. And considering this is a very wide city street, with (mostly) empty parking bays on both sides, at 5am, and the smash happened about 50 yards from a corner where the i20 came in - must have been going at a hell of a rate!
 2 smashes in 12 hours! - Falkirk Bairn
I know of someone who wrote off a company car driving from Aberdeen to Glasgow in the morning and writing off the HIRE CAR in the evening of the same day (M-i-L in car on the way North!).

Neither were his fault -

MORNING - tractor pulled out of field into the main road.
EVENING - a transit van overtook on a bend / solid white line.

Story about 1 week later

3rd party Insurance Company - "It's about the car being damaged / written off from your accident last week"

Manager "Just to get matters sorted- Was the accident you are dealing with AM or PM?"
 2 smashes in 12 hours! - movilogo
Interesting. Say AM accident was claimed from insurer A and PM one is from insurer P.

AM's accident was a minor one and PM was a write off.

So, if A can find out about PM event, can they just walk away saying you are getting compensation from P anyway so why bother us?

2 smashes in 12 hours! - Mapmaker
No, it's (obviously) the other way round. P's contribution will be reduced by the amount that A would have contributed. Two separate excesses to pay.
 2 smashes in 12 hours! - Runfer D'Hills
I know this going to sound like a tale but I promise it's absolutely true.

I used to be in charge of a business which among others employed sales reps who were issued with company cars. One day we'd given a brand new Cavalier to this young guy who lived in Liverpool. To get to our office he had to come through the Mersey tunnel. The following morning, on his way in, he rear ended a newish Jag with his day old Vauxhall by failing to stop soon enough at the end of the queue for the tunnel. The Cavalier was totalled but the Jag, while badly damaged, was at least driveable. We put it down to bad luck, got him a hire car and contacted the insurance company.

The following morning our lad was late again. The incredible thing was he'd had the same accident, at the same spot with the hire car. The best bit though is to follow... He'd hit the same Jag !

Apparently, with typical scouse black humour, the Jag driver had then asked our chap how the "chuff" he normally stopped when he wasn't there !
Latest Forum Posts