Motoring Discussion > Colin McRae helicopter crash was avoidable Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Zero Replies: 9

Colin McRae helicopter crash was avoidable - Zero
Colin McRae helicopter crash was avoidable, FAI says

An inquiry into the deaths of a rally car champion and three others in a helicopter crash has concluded that it could have been avoided.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-14803595
 Colin McRae helicopter crash was avoidable - Bromptonaut
The experts at the AAIB could not determine the cause.

www.aaib.gov.uk/publications/bulletins/february_2009/eurocopter_as350b2_squirrel__g_cbhl.cfm
 Colin McRae helicopter crash was avoidable - Zero
The experts did state however that

" it is more likely that the pilot attempted a turning manoeuvre at low height, during which the helicopter deviated from his intended flight path; whether due to the pilot encountering handling difficulties, misjudgement, spatial disorientation, distraction or a combination of such events. There were indications that the pilot had started a recovery but, with insufficient height in which to complete it"

That's as close to "pilot error" as it gets.
 Colin McRae helicopter crash was avoidable - Old Navy
>> That's as close to "pilot error" as it gets.
>>

Not helped by him having a lapsed licence, which I assume also means out of date training and assessment.
 Colin McRae helicopter crash was avoidable - Fenlander
Just read/scanned the full 33 page pdf report. Always impressed by the amazing *no stone left unturned* detail in these reports.

I judged the report similarly to Zero. The helicopter was being flown at the edge if its limits more in keeping with military operations where pilots are required to constantly hone those skills. It was mentioned several times that very high forward speeds were excessive in such close proximity to the landscape.... flat out 20-30ft from trees.

None of that takes away from the fact the pilot would not have intentionally set out to risk his passengers lives and it is tragic for all concerned and their families.

It does show there's often a very fine line between fun and foolishness.. one which many luckily get away with.
 Colin McRae helicopter crash was avoidable - Iffy
Anyone with money can get a licence to fly a helicopter.

But it takes more than that to become a proper pilot.

McRae flew that chopper like he drove his rally car.

He was reckless with his own life, which is fine, but he had no right to be reckless with the lives of others - even if they wanted him to be.

Colin McRae helicopter crash was avoidable - helicopter
We have discussed this before and I made my feelings known at the time...

McRae was showboating , showed no regard for the normal rules and regulations and paid the price . If he wanted to kill himself thats his business but three other lives were lost that day.

Unforgivable.....

Colin McRae helicopter crash was avoidable - Fursty Ferret
I occasionally fly with an ex-military helicopter pilot. His view is that a private pilot's licence in a helicopter is invariably an accident waiting to happen. Light aircraft are fairly benign regardless of what you do to them; a helicopter has a thousand and one nasty tricks to bite you with when you're not expecting it.

Having said that, by all accounts he may well have ended up in a sticky situation in a fixed wing aircraft if the accident report is anything to go by.
 Colin McRae helicopter crash was avoidable - Alastairw
I suppose availability has something to do with this. A helicopter can be kep at the bottom of a biggish garden, and is therefore available for a bit of fun at moments notice, while a light aircraft is usually kept at an airfield, so a trip requires planning.
 Colin McRae helicopter crash was avoidable - DP
The expired license and type rating shocked me the most. It does suggest at the very least suggest a disrespect / disregard for the rules.
I know a few pilots, and none of them would even consider taking to the air without the correct paperwork.
Latest Forum Posts