Motoring Discussion > Honda CR-V II - Missing key Buying / Selling
Thread Author: Chas Replies: 5

Honda CR-V II - Missing key - Chas
Negotiating a purchase on a used car. It only has one key....

Dealer has offered, if he can't get the missing one from previous owner, to get another one cut and coded - fine outcome on the face of it.

However, there potentially could be someone out there with a key to this car that could easily unlock and drive away.

Q1. What does the collective think would be a cost effective solution apart from fitting a complete lock set which would be very expensive.

Q2. Can a new pair of Honda keys be "immobiliser matched" to a vehicle deleting all others that may have been compatible?

Q3. Should I be bothered as a non key holder could easily gain access, by smashing a window, to the vehicle anyway?
 Honda CR-V II - Missing key - crocks
If the dealer had cut another one before selling the car, and not told you, would you be worried?
There is always a risk of another key.

I have heard it said that most people don't change the locks when they buy a new house. That would worry me more.
 Honda CR-V II - Missing key - movilogo
You can ask the dealer to change the programming code in immobilizer. That will prevent previous owner from breaking into your car :-)

If dealer wants to break in to your car, I don't think you can prevent that (unless you immobile the car physically via clamping etc.)

I was once told by an RAC man that even many recent cars' immobilizers can be bypassed.

Honda CR-V II - Missing key - helicopter
I only received one key for my Accord and have never worried that much about it.

I bought a spare through a local locksmith known to my independent garage and I have never had to use it, cost £50 quid.

So to your questions I say ....

Q1 Get a spare from the dealer at his cost and make sure it is correct and works before driving away..

Q2 Not worth the aggro even if it can be done.....

Q3 You have answered your own question .... the toerags can easily smash a window but if you double lock your Honda with the correct key and they do not have the correct key to turn the alarm off - then they aren't going anywhere without the alarms blaring and lights flashing which is a bit of a giveaway to the local plod.... I speak from experience having accidentally set the alarms off on my Accord one day.
 Honda CR-V II - Missing key - Mapmaker
Well, I guess they could have fitted a tracker so they can turn up to take your car away. Otherwise, the chances of their finding your car are nearly nil.
 Honda CR-V II - Missing key - Manatee
No need to worry. Only 2 keys can be coded to the car (the car recognises the key). When they code another one, they will have to knock off one of the existing ones. Just make sure that the existing key remains coded.

You cannot have more than two keys that start the car.

The old key, if it ever turns up, will unlock but will not start the car.

I know this because the delaer happily sold me a third key and coded it. Only later did I find that my original ‘spare’ would not start the car. The dealer seemed to think I should have known this. When they recoded the second original ‘plip’ key, the spare stopped working…
Latest Forum Posts