Motoring Discussion > M5 motorway wrong-way driver jailed Miscellaneous
Thread Author: henry k Replies: 10

M5 motorway wrong-way driver jailed - henry k
www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-somerset-14820305

The video clips are included.

IIRC the event ended when the (car) tank was dry.
 M5 motorway wrong-way driver jailed - Mapmaker
She was drunk, she was stupid.

But she killed nobody. Seems very harsh indeed. Poor thing is trying to get her life back in one piece following a family break up.
 M5 motorway wrong-way driver jailed - Slidingpillar
Having read the report, it is obvious she not only failed the attitude test at the time, but was still failing it at the time of the trial.
 M5 motorway wrong-way driver jailed - Iffy
...but was still failing it at the time of the trial...

No trial - she pleaded guilty.

She wouldn't have said a word in court, other than to confirm her name and to say 'guilty' after the charges were put.

Maximum for dangerous driving is two years, less a third for the guilty plea, less a bit more because there was no accident or injury, less a bit more for whatever personal mitigation she had.

Last edited by: Iffy on Wed 7 Sep 11 at 14:48
Just to add, the sentencing hearing reported in Henry's link is what will soon be shown on the telly.

M5 motorway wrong-way driver jailed - Slidingpillar
Re-read article, mea culpa - I'll put the kettle on.
...mea culpa...

Not entirely, the quote from the copper tells us her attitude to the offending was poor.

The tune didn't change until she was properly advised by her barrister.

I wasn't present at the conference, but I expect it went something like this:

"Listen pet, you're stuffed, so best you plead guilty and let me have a go at keeping you out of prison."

M5 motorway wrong-way driver jailed - Robin O'Reliant
>> She was drunk, she was stupid.
>>
>> But she killed nobody. Seems very harsh indeed. Poor thing is trying to get her
>> life back in one piece following a family break up.
>>
Many of us go through traumatic life changing events at some time. But we suffer in silence without risking the lives of innocent people because we think our troubles give us licence to do whatever we please.

No way could the sentence be called harsh, and only a 15 month ban is a bit of a result.
 M5 motorway wrong-way driver jailed - Mapmaker
>>No way could the sentence be called harsh, and only a 15 month ban is a bit of a result.

Any gaol sentence is harsh.

I agree though, I hadn't realised she was uninsured too.
 M5 motorway wrong-way driver jailed - Alanovich
Harsh? Good grief.

About time morons like this were locked away.
 M5 motorway wrong-way driver jailed - Westpig
She deserved everything she got....because....she could so easily have killed someone, if not herself.

This isn't somone having a half glass of wine too much and driving along a country road for half a mile and causing no real danger...motorways are exceptionally dangerous places...even standing on them.

If you get yourself so pie eyed that you think driving a car in that state and in those circumstances is a runner..then porridge it should be.
Latest Forum Posts