Motoring Discussion > Summer/Normal tyres Miscellaneous
Thread Author: - Replies: 54

Summer/Normal tyres - -
Ha just when you thought the tyre thread was quietening down....which oddly enough is the first topic here if that's ok.

I chose Toyo T1R tyres for my summer set on the Benz, can't rate them highly enough for grip, in the wet they are exceptionally sure footed, especially when you consider where they fall in price range.

The excellent grip comes at a price however, the road roar and noise transmitted is quite honestly beyond the pale, i wouldn't replace with the same, getting worse as the ambient temps drop.

The ride is not good either though i went larger wheel lower profile to cut the previous roll which worked (wouldn't do it again though), the Nokian winters which will be going on a few months are much softer and quieter, this may be the rubber doing it's winter job or possibly carcass quality.

So my first question is, what tyres have you found that offer good wet grip but keep a relatively soft quiet ride, especially in lower profile's.

I've even considered getting another set of the original 15" wheels and going back to 65 aspect, but if i can get some quiet and an improvement in ride then i'll stick with the present 17".
 Summer/Normal tyres - Zero
Two new Uniroyal Rain Experts on the front.

Noise = quiet, or certainly no louder than the turanzas that came off.
Ride = good, same as the turanzas that came off
handling = good, same as the turanzas
Dry grip = slightly better than the ones that came off
wet grip - STUNNING. Speedy getaways from standing in the wet result in NO wheelspin, not even a tiny bit.
 Summer/Normal tyres - Old Navy
>> Two new Uniroyal Rain Experts on the front.
>>

>> Dry grip = slightly better than the ones that came off
>>

How do you know? Have you pushed them to the point of breaking grip to find out? Has the Lancer enough power to spin its drive wheels in the dry, or did you slide it sideways?

>> How do you know? Have you pushed them to the point of breaking grip to
>> find out? Has the Lancer enough power to spin its drive wheels in the dry,

yes

>> or did you slide it sideways?

If you mean push it to oversteer? yes!
 Summer/Normal tyres - Runfer D'Hills
Must've been a right steep hill that....

:-)
>> If you mean push it to oversteer? yes!
>>

I thought the new tyres were (incorrectly) on the front, do you mean understeer?
>> >> If you mean push it to oversteer? yes!
>> >>
>>
>> I thought the new tyres were (incorrectly) on the front, do you mean understeer?

You are correct a typing faux paus, I meant understeer.
>> You are correct a typing faux paus, I meant understeer.
>>

Aye, right.
 Summer/Normal tyres - Iffy
...You are correct a typing faux paus, I meant understeer...

I've never understood the difference.

But I don't need to, the CC3 has such brilliantly neutral handling. :)

Summer/Normal tyres - Dog
Oh, I don't believe it gordon - you've actually gorn and done it!

:-D
 Summer/Normal tyres - corax
I've not tried them myself, but Goodyear Eagles are well liked. One of my work mates had some on his Fiesta ST after problems with sliding on roundabouts (but he does drive everywhere like a loony). He couldn't believe the amount of grip in the wet he got after changing to them. I'll ask him how quiet/noisy they were. Needs tyres on his new Zetec S and is seriously considering changing the Bridgestone Potenza's for them. Tyre reviews rate the Eagles highly.
 Summer/Normal tyres - Lygonos
Dry grip is fairly similar across all summer tyres (perhaps a few % variation from best to worse)

Where the variations come in are:

Wet Grip (most important IMO esp this summer...)
Comfort/Noise
Economy (Fuel economy and cost of tyre)

I've found the Michelin fuel saver tyres very good for wet grip and ok for noise.

In the past I have used GY Ventura (an early 'wet grip' tyre back when a 215x60VR15 was a 'sporty' tyre on a 300ZX) and found it also worked well in snow.

Would be interesting to hear if the Uniroyal Wetgrips also do well in snow - won't have the advantage of a snow compound but I'd presume the tread pattern will be superior to the giant blocks on a 'dry' tyre.

Summer/Normal tyres - BobbyG
Remember Zero that you are comparing your old worn out treadless tyres with your new 6mm tread tyres.

Would be very disappointed if the new tyres were poorer than the old in any category!
>> Remember Zero that you are comparing your old worn out treadless tyres with your new
>> 6mm tread tyres.
>>
>> Would be very disappointed if the new tyres were poorer than the old in any
>> category!

I would be bitterly upset if they had lost 2mm of tread down to 6mm in the last week!

You can only compare your new tyres to your old ones.
 Summer/Normal tyres - RichardW
I've got Toyo Proxes CF1s on 7 out of 8 rims at the moment - can't fault them for the price (about £65 in 185/65 guise). They're pretty soft though, so life is only about 20k.
 Summer/Normal tyres - -
Thanks for the feedback chaps, have been looking up the opinions of users for the various suggestions so far.
Nothing stands out as being particularly quiet or having a soft ride from the above offerings.

Uniroyal's Rain Expert isn't available in 45 aspect, though if i decide to resort to 15's it's a strong contender especially @ £46 apiece, and perform as competently as Z reports on the front of daughters Civic...still the same at 4mm, just under 25k hard but motorway miles on the front to get to 4mm, considering just how soft the tread feels that's quite good i reckon.

Uniroyal Rainsport 2 however is available in my size, which is well reported so is a possibility.

Goodyears Eagles seems to be as noisy as my present set, but i'll be intersted to hear C's mate's opinion on that.
I had Goodyear F1's at one time on the car, ended up taking them off and flogging them, once warmed which took several miles fantastic grip but very skittish before that and developed flat spots overnight, noisy too.

Low profile OE Michelins we removed from the C2 VTS were awful, and the Vred Sportrac 3's that replaced them are worlds better in all fields, including noise which SWM appreciates, i had to insulate the rear floor and wheelarches with underlay to reduce the mind numbing noise with the Mich's.
Sportrac3 another contender then

Looked at reviews of CF1's, not too worried about mileage as they are fairly priced, so they are a possibility too, though i'm a bit concerned they might end up as loud and crashing as the T1R's.

Another possibilty is the Nokian Z, they seem to be quiet, but don't know about ride issues.

Luckily i'm in no rush, the winter set will be going on in a couple of months, so i have 6 months to decide what to do, i can't put the present Toyo's back on next spring, on smooth surfaces they are ok and i can't fault them for grip wet or dry, but once the surface changes to chipping glued on, the noise heard and felt, and ride are getting to me.

The state of the roads in Northants was part of the reason the pick up was bought, in places and unfortunately the various routes to my new work place qualify, you'd be better off in a track layer, one particuar road coming down a town hill to a junction, your tyres seem seldom in contact with the ground such is the state, you should see the surface by headlight, could qualify as part of the Millbrook test route, for Northants apart from the A14 that's the norm.

Few tyre tests go into quiet and ride qualities in great detail unless i'm looking in the wrong places.

Hmm, if a set of EO 15" alloys appear for a decent price....

EDIT...i wonder if a track day might be fun to rip the present Toyo's up..;)
Last edited by: gordonbennet on Sat 10 Sep 11 at 12:14
I'll ask my mate about the eagles but his concern is more about outright grip than anything else. He had the GSD3's, but it looks like the F1's assymetric 2's are the performers. But why not go for the Vred's - you're a big fan of them and they seem to have served you well.
 Summer/Normal tyres - VxFan
>> Uniroyal Rainsport 2 however is available in my size, which is well reported so is a possibility.

I've got them on my Vectra. Best tyres I've ever had. I can highly recommend them.
 Summer/Normal tyres - -
>> I've got them on my Vectra. Best tyres I've ever had. I can highly recommend
>> them.
>>

That's good news indeed Vx, now break to me gently your views on noise and ride qualities if you'd be so kind, i believe we are on the same size 225/45 x 17 with similar weight cars, so your views will be much appreciated.

Sportrac 3's as Corax points out above are serving us well as indeed has every Vred, but keeping all options open.
They're a lot quieter than the standard fitted Goodyear NCT5's that were previously fitted. The ride is marginally harder, but some of that is down to the NCT5's which were 215/50/17 and I went for the alternate and cheaper 225/45/17 size as it's a more common size. The ride is no more hard though than the Goodyear GSD3's I had fitted for a while, which were also the 225/45/17 size. The GSD3 was also a noisy tyre and didn't last very long.
 Summer/Normal tyres - -
>> They're a lot quieter than the standard fitted Goodyear NCT5's that were previously fitted.

Thanks for that they sound promising, i had NCT's on the Diesel MB saloon, very quiet they were but in standard 65 aspect ratio so to be expected, the GSD3's you mention were the same i think as the F1's which i referred to above.

Got some food for thought here lads, many thanks so far.
Get real folks, tyres are the things that stop the corners of your car scraping on the road. They come in three qualities. Premium, (expensive). Mid range, (average). And Budget, (cheapo crap). Take your pick, its not rocket science.
Spoken like a true kia driver.
ON, we're going to mull it over for as long as it takes, whether you like it or not :)
 Summer/Normal tyres - -
Sorry Navy, they didn't offer the tractor engine option in the 124 coupe.

If you can still think after listening to the clatter of the old Massey Ferguson lump under the Kia bonnet, imagine the bliss of an engine almost silent, that gives only a throaty growl once aroused.

Now imagine tyres that you can hear and feel spoiling the serene wafting progress.

I realise it will need considerable imagination on your part, i'm trying to remember what the thump of Gardner 180 with a dropped valve was like, but it's so long ago since i drove anything so primitive..

:-))
I think the car manufacturer might just know which tyres are best, and may even have designed the suspension settings to match them after extensive testing. Of course if you lot know better................ I will stick with OE tyres for replacements.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Sat 10 Sep 11 at 21:02
Fair enough. What's OE on a C'rap? Singalongamax?

Michelin Premacy HP 225/45/17 91 W are OE on my KIA. Just replaced two of them, and yes the new ones are on the back.

tinyurl.com/5u27fnp
Last edited by: Old Navy on Sat 10 Sep 11 at 21:15
 Summer/Normal tyres - Fullchat
I replaced a pair of them spring time - just over £130 a pop which I thought was a bit pricey for a Ceed which is hardly high performance. And I put them on the front cos thats where I like new rubber on a FWD :-O What did you manage to get yours for ON?
I think they are a bit over tyred and may, I say may, go away from the OEM fit next time. The OEM Khumos on SHMBO's Focus seem to be doing OK.
GB, forgot to mention - one thing you might not be aware of. Uniroyal Rainsport 2's are directional tyres.

They're not everyone's cup of tea.
 Summer/Normal tyres - -
Rainsport 2's are directional tyres.
>> They're not everyone's cup of tea.
>>

I did know that but thanks for the reminder VxF, oddly enough every single tyre we have is directional or at least sided.

I did have a pair of Nokian's (good but now discontinued) that were sided but assymetric if that makes sense, rather peculiar looking on a car.
Imagine looking down on a silhouette from above of your car, every tyre having two grooves on the left and one groove on the right, wher 99% would be mirrored left and right.

To anyone unfamilar it looked like you'd bought the equivalent of all left hand shoes, i downloaded and printed off Nokians blurb in case an eagle eyed plod decided to have a word.

Summer/Normal tyres - -
Just remembered it was Nokian NRVi.
Well, my workmate doesn't know what to get now. He liked his Eagles on his old Fiesta, but also likes the (now worn) OE Bridgestone Potenza's on the new car. So he's undecided at the moment, although I know what Old Navy would tell him to do. Very expensive though compared to some of the other options.
>> I know what Old Navy would tell him
>> to do. Very expensive though compared to some of the other options.
>>

Got it in one, It's a free (ish) country. As long as you don't slide into me. But that is down to skill rather than rubber. Drivers cause skids not tyres. :)
Last edited by: Old Navy on Mon 12 Sep 11 at 17:34
...As long as you don't slide into me. But that is down to skill rather than rubber. :)...

Sliding in with the aid of rubber can be a good thing.

BBD hasn't been around for a while, so I feel compelled to fill the void.

:) Asked for that one.

Us summer tyre users are obviously far superior drivers than those who need winter spec rubber.

Last edited by: Old Navy on Mon 12 Sep 11 at 17:41
 Summer/Normal tyres - Dutchie
What a complex subject mine are Michelins on the Focus grip fine in dry and wet.

Summer/Normal tyres - -
>> What a complex subject mine are Michelins on the Focus grip fine in dry and
>> wet.

Dutchie!!, are Vredestein aware that you have missed an opportunity of encouraging us to invest in their fine products, most unlike you....i like a patriot, good man yourself..:-)

Anyway, i might be reaching a decision in this sorry tale of noise and battering from the ruined roads of Northamptonshire.

I'm watching a set of AMG wheels at the moment, they need refurb which is fine, they are original size for the car, which means i am part way there...if i get them then at least i know where i'm going.

The purpose of this post though is to report on Oponeo, mentioned by a few posters now and one good full report on another thread...tyre thread as it 'appens.

After much consideration taking into account the valuable and mickey taking posts above;) i've almost decided on a set of Nokian V, apparently offering quiet and comfortable ride according to most reports as well as good wet and dry grip in summer spec, haven't had a poor product from Nokian either and i fancy giving them a go, so there.

Mytyres is about the only place i've found Nokian to be offered so far rthat's easily used by us, indies in Britain either haven't heard of them or don't make enough out of them or simply can't be bothered to provide their customer's requests...possibly a discussion in itself, the demise of service?

Oponeo (still NBG as a name for a tyre supplier IMO) do indeed offer these tyres, at approx £1.70 more expensive than Mytyres.
The minor cost difference isn't really a problem, and i'm not criticising the company far from it.

I won't need the tyres till next year anyway, and who knows what might happen in the meantime so unless they happen to appear somewhere at an unmissable price i'll hang fire on purchase till after the winter.

It's nice to have another place to look for the more unusual tyre requirements, and following KB's report of his buying experience from them seem ok to deal with.
 Summer/Normal tyres - kb
Don't forget to add carriage where applicable (seems to be around £10 for four at a few places)....and remember Oponeo's prices include tracked delivery.

Will have them (the Vectors) fitted next week on the Hyundai i10 auto which arrived today. Slightly surprised at the amount of road/tyre noise. It has 175 60 14 Hankook Optimo K415 summers as standard fit. The noise is more likely simply the fact that the i10 cost half as much as the Yeti so is entitled to be a tad less refined? But will see if the Goodyear All Seasons are the same. The winter Dunlops will go on the Yeti end of next month, I expect...again will be interesting to compare them (WinterSports M3) with the standard Dunlop SP1's. And, as with the Goodyears, there was a slight re-jigging of tyre size in order to use a more popular size whilst still retaining the same rolling circumference.
Last edited by: kb on Fri 23 Sep 11 at 22:02
 Summer/Normal tyres - ....
>> Us summer tyre users are obviously far superior drivers than those who need winter spec
>> rubber.
>>
I'm surprised Ferrari haven't signed you up, why buy those bald tyres when you could run them down and get two or three races from the one set. :-)
 Summer/Normal tyres - Mike H
I'd say it's more to do with the suspension than the tyres. I have a Saab 9-5 estate with 225/45 tyres on 17" rims, and I can honestly say having tried numerous makes of tyres that the ride is pretty much the same on all of them, which I would class as good. Indeed, it's not noticeably different to that on the winter tyres which are 205/55 16s. But the car was designed for 17s and has had upgraded Hirsch suspension fitted, which actually improved the ride whilst giving less roll.
 Summer/Normal tyres - -
>> I'd say it's more to do with the suspension than the tyres.

There's no wear and the important moving parts have all been renewed within the last 20k.

I caused the problem meself going from 15" to 17" wheels and reducing the aspect from 65 to 45. This did cure the considerable roll and gave the car serious cornering abilities which it already had to be fair but the roll spoiled it, but the price now i'm 9 years older is too much, so probably back to 15".

There's no doubt the Toyo's have got much worse for ride and noise as it's got colder and as they've worn, still around 4 to 5 mm though so not exactly bald.

If i found 17" tyres that were totally silent i'd still get Northants road surface through the vehicle, so i'm now almost convinced to go back to 15's.

You said it though MH and you are spot on, your car was designed for 17", mine wasn't.

Live and learn?, nah i'm still a boy, arn't all normal geezers..:-)
Last edited by: gordonbennet on Sat 24 Sep 11 at 12:29
 Summer/Normal tyres - -
Route set, just bought a set of pukka 15" AMG wheels in need of refurb for £41, even if one of them turns out to be bent i can still find an odd single and make a set up cheaply as good as new once refurbed for a good price, will slip them onto a front hub and spin them up to check for distortion.

Will be getting 205/60 x 15 V rated tyres as and when they come up for the right price.
 Summer/Normal tyres - -
>> Will be getting 205/60 x 15 V rated tyres as and when they come up
>> for the right price.
>>

Missed the edit...if someone spots something really good in this size at an unmissable price do please holler.
You really like tyres don't you GB? Round black things to me. When tread runs low. Replace. Worked so far.

Summer/Normal tyres - -
>> You really like tyres don't you GB?

I've found over the years that they seem to be quite important things, more so than most other things on car that you could change easily.
Last time i looked they were the only thing touching the ground by design, and the vehicle's primary suspension fitment, so yes i do take them seriously, get the choice wrong and when you need them seriously they will be seriously lacking, lives can be changed forever.

I like good quality tyres, sorry, but no more than i like good quality anything, i like wood and leather in a car not as it's easy to find, i like quality wool carpets at home, i like 100% cotton bed sheets.
I like good quality people....and cost here is no measure.

As i said elsewhere, i had reason to drive a 54 Mondeo Diesel last week in the wet, it underwhelmed me to the nth degree as a car (no offence to anyone we all like different things)...it would also wheelspin at will, not something i want from a car and only tyre choice could correct such poor traction..course if had been designed proper and driven from the back wheels as all good cars are it might have had a chance of being half acceptable.:-).

Seeing it's a motoring site, and this is the motoring section i thought our musings might be helpful to some if not all, certainly posts here have helped me to think my own problems through, in this and other queries.
>> i like 100% cotton bed sheets.

I've yet to find anyone who likes nylon sheets GB :)
When I was a child my mother "discovered" Brentford Nylons. She bought me nylon sheets and nylon pyjamas, even nylon school shirts. After a day in one of those you became a health hazard. Bedtime was even worse. The coefficient of friction between the pyjamas and the sheets was so low it was really quite difficult to stay in bed without sliding off it. Terrible stuff.
 Summer/Normal tyres - sooty123
Well some people *ahem* like rubber ones, so who knows?
 Summer/Normal tyres - Pat
It's a rubber fetish with a difference, other people go for.....:)

Pat
 Summer/Normal tyres - Pat
If you go into the computer forum you'll see that Number_Cruncher is far more upmarket...he's into Latex.

Pat
 Summer/Normal tyres - Dog
Well - if gords into Rubber ... N/C is into Latex ... you could be into Silicon.

I'm into Stilton.

Only pulling your chain GB.

Worked though didn't it....?

:-))
 Summer/Normal tyres - -
Righto you lot heads up.

Just got back from picking up me new used wheels, via friends for a bite etc, they'll do nicely once refurbed.

The decent stick selling the wheels is trying to sell his dads Accord for him, i've had a quick look round it and it's a good little buy for 600 smackers, dad has decided to give up driving.

If the mods don't mind i'll stick it on the for sale noticeboard cos it would do one of our bangernomics fans very nicely, if i'd been in need of a car i'd have brought it home meself.
Latest Forum Posts