Motoring Discussion > Exact parking costs off Oxford Road - Manchester Miscellaneous
Thread Author: RattleandSmoke Replies: 12

Exact parking costs off Oxford Road - Manchester - RattleandSmoke
Any ideas?

Need to drop off a laptop for some soldering work, I usually get the tram but at £2.80 return x 2 it eats into my margins a bit.

I need to park up for 15 minutes both times round the Chester Street area, does anybody know the exact costs? I sometimes park near MMU in Hulme but the scruffs are back now so that will be impossible.

Exact parking costs off Oxford Road - Manchester - rtj70
The universities have not gone back yet so maybe on street meter parking? Higher Chatham St has some. There's some near the NCP car park on/near Great Bridgewater Street (off Oxford Road) too.

No idea how much meter parking is though!

I'd think of finding somewhere with parking that can do the work. Or better still including the cost in your margin for the travel into Manchester and back. And that includes your time too.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Sun 11 Sep 11 at 22:07
 Exact parking costs off Oxford Road - Manchester - zookeeper
googlemap the area then go into street view, you can read the meter charges at leasure.....simples
Found it here

www.manchester.gov.uk/info/200072/parking/146/on-street_parking/4

So £1.20 total cost, but then with petrol etc. I've never in my life parked in the city centre, so have no idea how easy spaces are to get. If I need to spend 10 minutes driving round the tram will be a lot quicker.
 Exact parking costs off Oxford Road - Manchester - R.P.
Take the tram - less stress. Priceless that.
 Exact parking costs off Oxford Road - Manchester - Ted

We have two cars on Cambridge Street at the junction of Chester Street. I was there today removing their service books into safe keeping. I use Cambridge Street several times a week.
There always seem to be quite a few pay and display bays close to and empty.
There's also a P & D car park on the junction.

Just a hundred yards or so from Maplins.

Ted
 Exact parking costs off Oxford Road - Manchester - Ted

Here's the Streetview of the junction. Both our cars are at home ! They've gone now and been replaced by a Fiesta and a Fiat 500 Twinair.

tinyurl.com/5w7eots

Scroll around...if you hurry, there's a free space in Chester Street !
Unless you are getting a good margin on the repair covering time and travel costs... I assume you've already included these.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Sun 11 Sep 11 at 23:56
I charge what my competitors do, £75.00 which is around £20 more than what you can get a DC jack replaced for. But people will pay for the convenience although I get it done at trade rates and it is the only place I have found that can offer a 24-48 hour turn around.

I make around £30 on them, but is more about customer retention than anything else, and if I do four of these a month it is a nice additional income but more importantly I am not telling people to go else where but I do make it clearer I am not doing the work.

However £6 on the tram for most journeys really eats into these margins but more importantly it is time which I have been short off the last few days. Only just stopped working an hour ago.
>> I make around £30 on them

I suspect you don't make that return. You are not factoring in your time. You have mentioned using an automation tool (Auto ScriptIT?) to save time. And not charging to benefit from the IPR you have developed.

I am not saying you're not making money on these repairs. But what are you doing during the travel time in terms of earnings.

I could sort these problems out if it was my laptop but for my time I'd pay someone like you. If you said it cost to courier it for repair then fine. Not a huge sum of money.
 Exact parking costs off Oxford Road - Manchester - Fursty Ferret
A bike will beat the traffic down Oxford road most days (personal experience), especially if you bomb it down the cycle paths near the university.
Not practical with two laptops though. I had to go Stretford to get a few bits, so I got the tram from there, which was £2.40 return. The service is more frequent there too.

Checked out the parking though and there was a few spaces.
 Exact parking costs off Oxford Road - Manchester - Fursty Ferret
Backpack? Courier bag?
Latest Forum Posts