Motoring Discussion > I am feeling like driving uninsured Legal Questions
Thread Author: movilogo Replies: 11

I am feeling like driving uninsured - movilogo
Few months back, in a stop start traffic an someone rear ended my car slightly. There were only one or two scratches in my bumper and other party requested that she want to settle it without involving insurance.

I played a good samaritan and and agreed with it as my car's damage was negligible. I just later asked her to buy me a set of touch up paint (which she did after few weeks anyway).

But, she still reported the incident to her insurer!!

I came to know only during my renewal and discovered that this very incident has pushed up my premium by £60!!!

What sort of farce is that? This is the whole purpose why I agreed with other party that I won't go thru insurance for such a trivial damage (I had two own-fault accidents previously).

I asked them to remove the incident from their database but they said they can't do anything about it as it went to the database by 3rd party's insurer.

Now this non-fault incident will remain against my name and every year next 5 years will push up my premium!!!

Insurance companies are also to blame why so many people now drive uninsured. The law only screws the honest people.
 I am feeling like driving uninsured - RattleandSmoke
My T&Cs state I must inform the insurance company at the event of an accident no matter what, even if I don't claim :(.

People have got into a lot of trouble over this, so in many ways you're lucky, it could have been a lot worse.
>> so in many ways you're lucky

What lucky? It was not my fault and I didn't even know other party reported it her insurer!

For such small nudge, it doesn't really make sense to report.

>> T&Cs state I must inform the insurance company at the event of an accident no matter what, even if I don't claim

Of course, so that they can use that as an excuse to raise their profit.
Last edited by: movilogo on Wed 21 Sep 11 at 16:37
 I am feeling like driving uninsured - commerdriver
If a no fault , all costs recovered incident pushes your premium up by £ 60 you are with the wrong insurer, my daughter's incident 2.5 years ago has not affected either my wife's or her own apart from requiring a phone call at renewal time rather than entirely online
>> £ 60 you are with the wrong insurer

Well, I got this £60 after switching insurer this time. My previous ones wanted £150 extra for this.
 I am feeling like driving uninsured - commerdriver
>> Well, I got this £60 after switching insurer this time. My previous ones wanted £150
>> extra for this.
>>
>>
My wife and daughter are both with Elephant who said that a no fault accident for which all costs had been recovered and no claim made did not affect the premium at all.
I am amazed that any insurance company can claim that it should make any significant difference
 I am feeling like driving uninsured - Iffy
Movi,

If you have the other driver's details, you can claim from her/her insurer for your losses, including the premium hike.

>> you can claim from her/her insurer for your losses, including the premium hike.

Does it really work like that? I'll write a letter to them anyway asking them to remove the incident to database but I doubt they'll do anything over it.
...Does it really work like that?...

Yes, but you need to claim directly off her insurer, not yours.

It sounds as if you have good evidence the extra £60 is due to the incident.

You may also be able to negotiate a payment to cover future years, based on a sliding scale.

I wouldn't be too ambitious, so if they offer a couple of hundred, snatch their hands off.

No fault claims pump at the premium because it increases your risk even if it is not your fault. There is never much common sense with insurance companies, the risk is purely based on risk.
Erm I wonder if that would work. I guess you would have to basically sue the other person, which for £60 isn't going to really happen.
...Erm I wonder if that would work. I guess you would have to basically sue the other person, which for £60 isn't going to really happen...

No Rats, the £60 is simply the value of the loss suffered by the third party - Movi.

It's the same as if she had caused damage to his car which cost £60 to repair.

Latest Forum Posts