Motoring Discussion > crawler lanes, Legal Questions
Thread Author: zookeeper Replies: 7

crawler lanes, - zookeeper
i was travelling thru the oakham area tward leicester today and they have crawler lanes for slow lorries on the up hill bits, they also have speed cameras, now the national speed limit applies in this case but does the camera treat the uphill portion of the road as a duel carriage way and the downhill lane as a single carriage way and treat the sections of road accordingly?
 crawler lanes, - -
Isn't it still classed as a single carriageway for speed limits without a central barrier dividing the lanes.

So as far as i'm aware a 60 mph limit applies anyway.
 crawler lanes, - CGNorwich
No matter how many lanes a road has it is not a Dual Carriageway unless it has a central reservation to separate the carriageways (it doesn't need to have a barrier)
 crawler lanes, - jc2
As to definitions of single/dual carriageway differences,I heard a simple explanation;if you could roll a ball across the road,it's a single carriageway-doesn't matter how many white lines or bits of metal there are!
 crawler lanes, - Cliff Pope
It's sometimes seemed to me a bit silly having a crawler lane without increasing the speed limit in the remaining lane(s) to give other traffic the maximum opportunity for passing.

There's a hill in Aberystwyth notorious for trapping lorries with axle tramp so that they have to stop and go back down again for another run up. There is a sort of crawler lane cum fast passing section, but it is very short and the speed limit has been reduced to 30 mph.
So lorries are not allowed to get a good run up, and cars are prevented from making proper use of the fast-passing section.
 crawler lanes, - Dave_
The A47 from Wansford to Leicester is all single carriageway. All the crawler lanes are there because of the high volume of quarry traffic using the route - the speed limit for the large lorries (>7.5t) is 40mph all the way along, except for the 30mph limit through Glaston, and car drivers would frequently attempt to overtake in dangerous places out of frustration.

Most lorries stick to their 40mph limit along there because of the frequent camera van checks in that area, plus there has been a marked increase in employers fitting tracking devices to vehicles, with disciplinary action to be expected for lawbreakers.

Even in non-tracker vans and 7.5 tonners I stick to my 50mph limit along there, because I like my licence :)
 crawler lanes, - -
I don't stick to 40 on two way roads, it causes understandable frustration and endless queues and ends up with incompetent drivers overtaking badly, dangerous combination.

Travel at 50+ and the only overtakes are by capable drivers.

It's not the current law, but the camera vans are supposed to be about safety, not just a revenue machine.

crawler lanes, - Pat
I agree GB and just what I do too.

Very few checks along the A47 and always warned by a 'thumbs down' from an oncoming vehicle (often a car driver) anyway.

The crawler lane stretches date back to before the A14 was built and it was the main route from the Fens to the M1 and lorries had much smaller engines. East Norton Hill was notorious:)

Pat
Latest Forum Posts