Motoring Discussion > Mitsubishi Outlander II - Winter tyres on... Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Manatee Replies: 21

Mitsubishi Outlander II - Winter tyres on... - Manatee
All-season tyres to be precise.

As it was probably the hottest weekend of the year, it was obviously ideal for putting the winter wheels on! Started at 8.30 to beat the sun. The 18" alloys with 225/55 Continental Cross Contacts have been swapped for 16" steels with 215/70 Pirelli Scorpions. The wheel and tyre spec is 'homologated' according to Mitsubishi so I should be insurer-proof.

Despite my dislike of overlarge wheels and low profile tyres even I have to admit it hasn't done much for the appearance, now it has the £20 a set wheel trims fitted (not much choice in that size). I might have left the bare wheels, but there are no caps on the hub nuts, which offends my sensibilities.

Steering feels a bit light, but then it always does with new tyres. Ride is definitely a bit softer, less jiggly - not unwelcome.

I weighed the complete wheels - there is almost no difference at about 25kg per wheel between the two sets.

Before, during and after pictures here :

goo.gl/B3zfm
 Mitsubishi Outlander II - Winter tyres on... - R.P.
tinyurl.com/6drvznh

As recommended in an earlier thread..
>> tinyurl.com/6drvznh
>>
>> As recommended in an earlier thread..

Thanks Rob, must have missed that. I did put some Simoniz on the steel wheels to slow the rust down - they have the usual one molecule thick paint layer.
 Mitsubishi Outlander II - Winter tyres on... - kb
Bit cheaper at £17.69 delivered.

tinyurl.com/6f3pkcm shrunk it for you to restore page width to correct size

PS. I'm proudly shod in Goodyear Vector AllSeasons on one - and on Dunlop Winter Sports M 3 on steel wheels on the other. Detractors can say what they want - I'm happy.

(They proved really useful these last few days)
Last edited by: VxFan on Mon 3 Oct 11 at 00:32
>>
>> Bit cheaper at £17.69 delivered.

...or £14.44...just ordered it. I have far too many unguents in the garage - hope it's good.

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120742740472
 Mitsubishi Outlander II - Winter tyres on... - kb
or £14.44...just ordered it........

Better still!!!! Excellent.

I'll get one myself now (love a bargin).

Anyone know what using it ON TOP of a 2 coat DiamondBrite application, done at the dealers, would do? Or indeed, is it actually worth using it immediately after the said application?

Till now have used Autoglym Resin Polish and the clear topcoat, Extra Gloss Protection. But, even so, a bird dropped a particularly corrosive parcel on a different car recently and I wiped it off within a couple of hours and it had a remarkably damaging effect on the paint's clear-coat....really had to work hard to get it back to a proper finish.
>>Anyone know what using it ON TOP of a 2 coat DiamondBrite application, ... would do?

None at all. To tell the truth, I don't get how polish works in terms of coating, as opposed to cutting. Of necessity, 98% of what you put on is rubbed off.

I can't see how it would hurt, as long as there's no 'reaction' which seems unlikely. Test on a small area?
 Mitsubishi Outlander II - Winter tyres on... - R.P.
And me or I'll only forget - ran a finger across the wheels the other week, they are waxy to the feel so I reckon they must have some "stuff" already on them.
 Mitsubishi Outlander II - Winter tyres on... - bathtub tom
No locking wheel nuts?

Then again, how fast can they run with a 50lb wheel? ;>)
>> No locking wheel nuts?
>>
>> Then again, how fast can they run with a 50lb wheel? ;>)
>>

Yes, even got some lockers - £6.99 a set from ebay. They aren't the recessed type so I could probably get them off by hammering an old socket on, but it should slow them down a bit. Bought all new nuts - the originals do have a cone seat as well, but are basically flange nuts so they stand off a bit on a steel wheel (I've used them with the pram-wheel spare).
 Mitsubishi Outlander II - Winter tyres on... - Pat
To all of you with winter tyres...........I hope they melt in the heatwave:)

Pat
Thanks Pat. Not all of us can manage on skill alone!
 Mitsubishi Outlander II - Winter tyres on... - Pat
Neither can I, but I still enjoy trying and testing it:)

Pat
 Mitsubishi Outlander II - Winter tyres on... - Mike H
I'm confused. You refer to putting the winter wheels on, which presumes winter-only use, but you've put all-season tyres on. Unless you are leaving them on all year round, why go to to the expense of all-season tyres when proper winter tyres would have been more effective? Or have I missed something?
>>why go to to the expense of all-season tyres when proper winter tyres would have been more effective? Or have I missed something?

Fair question.

Experience with my CRV suggests that M+S marked tyres are miles better in snow than summer tyres anyway.

It's widely supposed to be a temperature thing, and anything with a mud and snow marking will logically have a suitable compound for the temperatures at which snow is found (i.e. below the oft-quoted 7 degrees C).

I also live in Hertfordshire, not the Scottish Highlands. It might not snow at all this winter.

And yes, I might well use them throughout the year. The 215/70R16s are 1/2 to 2/3 the price of the 225/55R18s, for a premium brand, so I could also save money. I'll probably put the 18" wheels back on in the Spring/Summer and use them up a bit, but I really only need bother to replace those if I see tyres at the right price.

I'd have preferred that Mitsubishi used a less exotic wheel and tyre combination with all season tyres in the first place, as Honda did with the CRV - then I wouldn't have gone to the trouble.

Changing them over isn't too much trouble for me. Storing a spare set is a bind, they take a lot of room up.
Last edited by: Manatee on Sun 2 Oct 11 at 17:05
 Mitsubishi Outlander II - Winter tyres on... - Dog
Do your tyres have this symbol as well as M+S Man o'tea?

www.bing.com/images/search?q=winter+tyre+symbol&view=detail&id=34DAD978A44513620C46F7887862882440DC6A11&first=0
Interesting bit ere ~ www.tirerack.com/winter/tech/techpage.jsp?techid=125
No, they don't Dog. It looks bit druidical, but maybe I associating from you ;-)

M+S tyres seem to qualify as winter tyres, at least in our temperate climes -

www.blackcircles.com/tyres/winter-tyres/laws-and-legislation

and Vredestein seem to agree too -

goo.gl/oTIgb

One of the considerations was that the choice of full winter tyres is a very limited, and expensive, unless you settle for a T speed rating. That wouldn't bother me, but Mitsubishi informed me deadpan that the 'homologated' speed rating in the 16" size is H, so I stuck to that to try and avoid potential liability/insurance issues.
>>No, they don't Dog. It looks bit druidical, but maybe I associating from you ;-)<<

Good word Manatee, and there was me thinking you'd made it up :)

>>M+S tyres seem to qualify as winter tyres, at least in our temperate climes -<<

Ah, well - we'll have to hear what our rubberman gb says about tit, when he's finished his pink salmon and cucumber sandwiches.

Mitsubishi Outlander II - Winter tyres on... - Mike H
Irrelevant to you, but the Blackcircles link is, I believe, wrong. It says that M+S marking is acceptable in Austria and Germany for winter tyres, which it isn't. To qualify as winter tyres, and therefore be in accordance with the law, the tyres MUST be marked with the snowflake symbol, whether they are full-on winter or all-season tyres.
 Mitsubishi Outlander II - Winter tyres on... - NortonES2
As I understand it, M+S is a motif relating only to tread pattern. Not to compound, so the Mountain and/or snowflake symbol is the only marker relevant to cold weather. SFAIK, M+S could be present on a summer compound tyre.
Last edited by: NortonES2 on Sun 2 Oct 11 at 21:23
>> As I understand it, M+S is a motif relating only to tread pattern. Not to
>> compound, so the Mountain and/or snowflake symbol is the only marker relevant to cold weather.
>> SFAIK, M+S could be present on a summer compound tyre.

I think that's more or less true. It doesn't mean they are suitable for snow, and it doesn't mean they aren't. Choosing tyres is like shovelling fog, but I'm happy with the choice of Pirelli Scorpion STR which is a first line brand and for which the manufacturer does make some claim for suitability in snow, and by inference cold conditions.

I'll let you know, if it snows.

www.pirelli.com/tyre/gb/en/suv/sheet/scorpion_str.html
Latest Forum Posts