Motoring Discussion > Item worth more to you than the cost of a new one. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: R.P. Replies: 3

Item worth more to you than the cost of a new one. - R.P.
...of a motoring nature.

Went to part-ex the RT today and came away with a 6 month old 1200GS - guess in the end I missed the old 04 one I had - detailed reports on HJ - which I sold last year....anyway - there was a bit of a scare when I got home. I assumed that I had placed my Helmet-bag in one of the panniers and had forgotten to take it out for the trip home. Not the end of the world by any length but this bag was a good one - I bought it with a bum-bag of the same make (a special offer) in 2008 for peanuts from e-bay - The bum-bag is useful on foreign trips on the bike to carry essential docs and the such like. Anyway this bag became more than just an accessory, it was where my "good" helmet lives off-duty so to speak. Made of strong nylon it has a sheepskin liner it is the perfect place for an expensive lid. Much relief a few minutes ago when I found it by the front door (where I left it !) - it's only a tenner's worth of replaceable kit

www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/180

But the sense of loss was totally out of proportion to its value.....

Anyone got a similar piece of motor-related kit they value beyond its price ?
 Item worth more to you than the cost of a new one. - henry k
Yes my Sidewinders which I bought many years ago for £5,20. I had never seen them before and not seen them since so I guess truely irreplaceable.

I can best describe them as looking like plastic gutter support brackets.
They have a little hook at the top where a gutter bracket would rest against a facia board.
To use. Wind down both passenger door windows an inch or so. Possition one clip near the front of the front window and one near the back of the rear window. Clip the hooks over the glass and close the window. pop on the load ( max 17kg ) and secure with bungees.

An ideal alternative, for me, especially in the rain, rather than use the "sun" roof.

There is a useful warning " Do not open the passenger windows or doors when the load is in place"

They were fron Whiterock in Mumbles!
 Item worth more to you than the cost of a new one. - Ted

Something still freely available, but I get a bit lost without, are my Gelert Arno luggage straps.

Light strong, come in different lengths with a simple ' ratchet ' to tighten them. Invaluable for bike camping but many other uses...securing coiled up caravan cables, attaching cable to pull handle when moving van, lashing pushbike on carrier ( Humph ! ).

They do all the jobs that a big tie-wrap would do but are quick release and re-usable.. I've a dozen or so...they only cost a couple of quid each.

Ted
 Item worth more to you than the cost of a new one. - Ted

Here they are.....

www.gooutdoors.co.uk/gelert-60-inch-arno-straps-p142007

Ted
Latest Forum Posts