Motoring Discussion > Motorcycling Acme. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: R.P. Replies: 31

Motorcycling Acme. - R.P.
Set off from a sunny Anglesey this morning with a 70 mile dash in the offing, A55 and then the M53 to BMW Motorrad in Chester....

The RT was going to a part-ex for a newer GS, last evening was spent stripping out bits of the bike I was keeping, cleaning it and re-mounting its panniers. Up early this morning, having perused BBC Wales' excellent local weather forecasts, the kit of the day was selected and assembled. Base tee-shirt, a Knox technical overshirt, a Norwegian fishing jumper (long sleeves - polo shirt type collar). Knox Back protector, topped with a BMW Rallye2 jacket with Gortex liner. Leather trousers and superb Altberg hand made motorcycling boots, lined with winter socks. Alpinestar Goretex winter gloves. Snug as a bug and very unlikely to get cold. Schuberth C3 Pro helmet, very light, extraordinarily quiet, impervious to wind and rain.

Next the bike was moved out into the road, levels checked and allow the machine to self check its own systems including real time tyre pressure displays and oil-levels, keep it on tickover until it settled to a steady rumble. Big beast the RT, hoik it off its stand, mount up - retract side stand, engage first gear with a typical BMW clunk and off ! Narrow lane to the A55 allows plenty of time for it warm up - progressively increasing rev limits until 1.5 miles later smoothly join the A55 - practicing "block" changes up the box, not impressed ! by this time lane 2 of the A55 towards Britannia Bridge - notching up to 6th gear seemlessly a smidgin under 4k revs = 85 mph. Cruise control until the bridge.

Scrolling through the bike's computer display shows a temperature of 14.0c which descended below 10c as we approached the Cheshire border, overall consumption is a good 57mpg after it was reset on Tuesday for an identical trip, impressive for a big tourer whose speedometer is normally seen in the high seventies to mid eighties.

Notch down the helmet's internal dark visor to cut out the worse of the morning sun's glare.

Britannia is as quiet as planned, the inevitable early morning queue to he mainland has evaporated - keep in the outside lane for maximum visibility in the twin junctions on a nasty downhill curve - no wind on the bridge to frighten me this morning as the bike starts its mile munching act across an autumnal North Wales.

There's always a point on a bike trip, however small, however mundane that you realize why you still do it - today it was the sight, smell and taste of the sea at Penmaenmawr, Llanfairfechan - rough as anything a haze of salt-water hung over the road at that point.

Tested a little by a pretty black BMW 320 coupe, around here - pushing me and then we played a bit for a few miles, driver and rider together in some sort of automotive interaction which we both probably felt broke up the monotany - Holywell by-pass and mimsers in lane 2. A respectful ST500 moves into lane 1 to let me pass - a quick acknowledgement from me and the female driver...

Realised how pleasant the gear-change on the bike is - unperceptible upward changes, slight throttle blips to facilitate downchanges - everything in harmony, me warm comfortable and dry, bike in that groove where everything meshes.

Drove into a busy, wet and windy industrial estate on the fringes of Humph's favourite shopping experience (Cheshire Oaks) - completely dry warm and happy. A good bike for the ride - a big state of the art tourer - but I wanted a bit of rough........!
Last edited by: R.P. on Fri 7 Oct 11 at 19:08
 Motorcycling Acme. - Manatee
I've thought before that it would be interesting to meet you Rob and see how similar you are to my pal Pete, who is a BMW (330CD & GS1200) and Apple (aye-phone, aye-pad) groupie. He tells me I'm just not 'there' yet ;-)

Do you have a hot tub in the garden as well?

Pete loves his GS. Does a 2 week European lads' bike tour every year - how he gets away with it, I can't imagine.
Well no Hot Tub - That would be going a little too far in this neck of the woods - bearing in mind that the incomer on the motorsickle is suspected of being a devil-worshiper...!
 Motorcycling Acme. - Kevin
>The RT was going to a part-ex for a newer GS,..

1200?
Yes - I couldn't resist it. Took the RT in for a service on Tuesday, no intention of changing it etc etc.. this ex BMW Triple Black was there leering at me....no brainer after some quick Man Maths.

Joked today with the Service Manager that they should have a room with comfy chairs, WiFi and a coffee machine (and a time lock) for service customers.
>Yes - I couldn't resist it...this ex BMW Triple Black was there leering at me....

Never seen one in the flesh but that colour scheme looks good in photos. Must have that chrome pipe though.

>no brainer after some quick Man Maths.

You needed Man Maths to justify it? What are you - a man or a mouse?!

Kevin...

PS. Pass the cheese please.
I phoned my wife, some tacit attempt at consent - I left her voicemail as she was busy. She called back and said "When you getting it then ?"
www.flickr.com/photos/67389469@N02/6223470024/

The black beast skulking in the garage, my wife claims it bit her last night and was growling at her today...hope the weather's decent tomorrow !

Note the ad-hoc inspection lamp in the background, used to extract a Optimiser connecter from the depths of the RT the night before !
Last edited by: R.P. on Sat 8 Oct 11 at 17:04
It looks a beaut Rob.

I'm ever so slightly jealous.
 Motorcycling Acme. - Fullchat
Very nice! And an understanding Mrs :-)

Good write up. Isn't it strange that somedays the ride and gearchanges are perfect and other days no matter how you try it rides like a bag of spanners.

"Schuberth C3 Pro helmet, very light, extraordinarily quiet, impervious to wind and rain."

Agreed but min does let a bit of damp through, somewhere, in severe rain. Cracking deal on the last day at last years bike show at the NEC - £350.
Last edited by: Fullchat on Sat 8 Oct 11 at 20:30
I got mine the previous year - about the same price...matt black...visors are 40 to 50 quid !
Matt black - snap. It was quite funny. I did the rounds, had a fitting but they were all asking about £450. Then towards the end of the day I overheard a very prudent Yorkshireman who had obviously been haggling all day get an offer of £350 accepted at Helmet City. Not being one to not take advantage of someone elses good fortune I chipped in, "I'll have one at that price to."
I think mine was 380 - I can't believe how comfy and quiet it is. I have a Shoei Multitec, which preceded it, I wore it on Tuesday to go to Chester to service the RT as there is a slight problem with the security of the pivot on the Schuberth's visor. I was afraid in the event of a falling it off it might mot be as good as it could protection wise. The Multitec was like travelling with a noisy draughty bucket on one's head. On Friday going to collect the GS it was a natural choice to take the Schuberth and damn the risk.
 Motorcycling Acme. - Redfire
Lovely bike. I too am thinking of getting the very same one but there seems to be a shortage of nearly new ones near me.
There's an identical one in Chester Motorrad - slightly older - a 60 plate...it was a bit cheaper..
 Motorcycling Acme. - MD
Ruddy modern rubbish. What's wrong wiv a BSA A10 on Knobblies? I ask you.
Well funny you should say that - I had my head turned by a Triumph Scrambler albeit a properly made modern one.
 Motorcycling Acme. - MD
It Greeves me. Life is such a Trial.
You're on fire today MD :-)
 Motorcycling Acme. - bathtub tom
I've only just Cottoned on to this.
 Motorcycling Acme. - MrTee43
 Motorcycling Acme. - Mike Hannon
>>.<<

;-) My pal had a Dot

Another was the Excelsior of motorcyclists - and yet another was a good Ambassador for the hobby.

>>That would be going a little too far in this neck of the woods - bearing in mind that the incomer on the motorsickle is suspected of being a devil-worshiper...! <<

It was once said the the devil wouldn't go near North Wales for fear of being put into a pot...
Well Anglesey held out against the Romans for longer than the rest of the country (apart from north of Hadrian's Wall) - and they were still trying to oppress it when Boudicia kicked off and nearly brought them to their knees.
 Motorcycling Acme. - Runfer D'Hills
Cool wheeltrims that girl had...
 Motorcycling Acme. - Zero
shocking driver tho
 Motorcycling Acme. - Runfer D'Hills
I heard she was known for cutting up other vehicles
 Motorcycling Acme. - Zero
Her driving was legion, roman all over the road.
Apologies for dragging up an old thread but I went for a test ride on the new GS at the weekend and wow what a corker of a machine it is. They had a triple black in the showroom and like you it was just calling to bought...so I pick it up at the weekend :-D.

One question I have is regarding the satnav. BMW wanted over £600 for their Navigator4 satnav do you have use satnav? if so can you recommend a decent more economical solution?

Motorcycling Acme. - Old Navy
How about one of these.

tinyurl.com/6qzttzm (Tomtom)
 Motorcycling Acme. - hawkeye
>> One question I have is regarding the satnav. BMW wanted over £600 for their Navigator4
>> satnav do you have use satnav? if so can you recommend a decent more economical
>> solution?
>>
I have a Garmin 1490t which lives in the car but I bought an Arkon water resistant box off Ebay for it.
tinyurl.com/6p5esrb

It was well and truly drenched (and so was I) during my Scottish trip last year and the satnav stayed dry.

Garmin £120, lifetime updates £60, box £20. Plenty of change from your budget.

Good luck.
Last edited by: hawkeye on Mon 23 Jan 12 at 13:08
You'll love the bike - been out on my TB despite the cold for two weekends, post more later.

I had the Nav4 on the old RT - good bit of kit - but far too expensive. I was allowed to keep the head unit and sold that on, funding a perfectly usable TT Rider - costs around 399 from Play.com with a RAM bracket. Just hardwired it in for less than twenty notes. The Garmin is impressive if you're into planning routes etc etc.

My top site for the GS is www.ukgser.com - use them a lot to buy and sell stuff including the old SaTNav - pay 12 quid a year for access - made that up in savings...very, very good site.
Last edited by: R.P. on Mon 23 Jan 12 at 13:13
Excellent, many thanks for all your help and advice.

The dealer is fitting the satnav bar so at least I will have something to attach a device to.
Latest Forum Posts