Motoring Discussion > What recession? Buying / Selling
Thread Author: Mr. Ecs Replies: 10

What recession? - Mr. Ecs
Couple of weeks ago I spotted a very nice, clean low mileage diesel 11 plate Mondeo at a Ford dealership (DM) branch at Staines in Surrey. Priced at £14975
Before I could arrange to test drive it, it vanished and after a search it surfaced at their branch at Epsom.
Last night I looked it up to get the phone number and was going to go tomorrow to have a test drive. Last night it was priced at just under £15K. This afternoon it is priced at £16491.
So what the hells going on. I spoke to a salemen who tried to blame their main office when I challenged him as to what influence his manager had. Non by the sounds of it.
As I've caught them in the act, my telephone remains silent, when he said he would ring me back. I wonder why.
 What recession? - corax
Judging by the way people still thrash their cars around here -

1) There is no problem with the economy.
2) Fuel prices must still be reasonable to these people.

Or maybe they think "To hell with it. I'll just put my foot to the floor as normal - you only live once".
 What recession? - Runfer D'Hills
The human condition is one of eternally renewable optimism thank goodness. Except in parts of Yorkshire and most of Dundee of course...

:-)
 What recession? - Fullchat
The price reflect what the dealer feels they will get in a given area.

If you go on the Ford Direct website and choose a car. Take a note of the details and do another search using a different postcode. The price fluctuates depending what postcode you put in when you start your search.
Last edited by: Fullchat on Sat 15 Oct 11 at 17:45
 What recession? - Armel Coussine
Mr X doesn't want to buy it, just have a test drive.

No wonder the dealers keep whipping it away and raising the price. They are curious to know at what price Mr X thinks it worth hustling for a test drive by pretending to believe the car might be worth that. .

I think they know him of old.
Sorry Ac what do you mean by that. For the last time I'm not the X you think I am. But getting back to my OP. I thought a car started to depreciate when it left the showroom. Not INCREASE by nearly £2K. They take us for idiots. Well I'm not. As FC says a little research can warn you off. And they lost this customer. I'll not be going back to DM again. No wonder people would rather buy private or auction. Then the dealers cry because no one is buying and the government has to step in with a "scrappage" type scheme. They only have their greedy selves to blame. I wont be crying if this recession flushes many of these chancers down the pan.
Last edited by: Mr. Ecs on Sun 16 Oct 11 at 15:56
 What recession? - Zero

>> only have their greedy selves to blame. I wont be crying if this recession flushes
>> many of these chancers down the pan.

less dealers, less choice higher prices.

If they can sell it to someone a a higher price, why should they sell to you at a lower price.
You had no contract with them, so they did nothing illegal.
 What recession? - Manatee
Well you have a point of course. Anybody who saw it at the old price would feel ripped off at the new.

But they don't care about that, as there are probably only a couple of you. It fits with FC's story about local pricing.

I have to say I don't understand AC's post, but he's probably being ironical again.
 What recession? - Iffy
Supply and demand, no more than that.

About a month ago I was looking for a late Mondeo for a friend.

There was a lot of year-ish old Titianiums about, auto and manual, for around £15,000.

Looked good value to me.

I expect most of those are now sold, making a late, used, Mondy a rarer beast.

Thus the seller - any seller - will likely try asking a bit more than previously.

What recession? - Armel Coussine
>>For the last time I'm not the X you think I am.

OK, sorry Mr Ecs. But don't take offence, I was joking really.

>> They take us for idiots. Well I'm not.

They hope we will turn out to be idiots. Or some of them do. Actually the more polished sort of average big-showroom car salesman strikes me as a bit of an idiot more often than not. They are a type well worth avoiding.
:-)
Latest Forum Posts