Motoring Discussion > New Car - Running in.... Miscellaneous
Thread Author: rtj70 Replies: 19

New Car - Running in.... - rtj70
So I've had my new (ugly for Zero) car for just over a week. Business miles low and not gone far....

But I like it a lot. Sorry Z.

Even the continual monitoring of tyre pressures is accurate. Even when warmed up too! I've checked. But on a Passat it doesn't check the spare tyre. It would on a Phaeton.

I should (and will) post a mini review. I am adapting to using higher gears in a diesel after the last two. This car is able to use fairly low revs in high gears.
 New Car - Running in.... - Lygonos
Unless it's being thrashed like a red-headed stepchild, you're not running it in properly.

New Car - Running in.... - RattleandSmoke
Good luck with it, it must feel rather plush compared to the Mazda 6 :)

My friends dad is handing back his Mazda 6 in a few weeks time, although his boss has told him me must downsize.

Rather like the look of the CC, they are a lot prettier than the Lancer, but then so is the price tag.
 New Car - Running in.... - Londoner
Congratulations on your car, rtj. I hope you continue to enjoy it. I'm not surprised that you like it since it has all the strengths of the saloon, plus being a very handsome shape in CC form.

I followed the development of the CC from initial rumour to eventual production with great interest. First reports said that it was going to be a hatchback, which is something that is a "must" for me. I was disappointed that it turned up in production with a boot (albeit a large one).

I suppose that VAG management were worried that it would take sales away from the A5 if the CC had a hatch, in the same way as they have been concerned recently at the way that people have been tempted to buy Skoda instead of VW's. Like all manufacturers, they want the punter to buy the cars that make them the most money. You can't blame them.
 New Car - Running in.... - Dave_
>> the way that people have been tempted to buy Skoda instead of VW's

I've noticed a lot of 61-plate Volkswagens on the road, certainly there seem to be more brand new VWs now than at previous new registration dates. Many rental Polos about, as well as new-shape square-light Passats and a positive abundance of Golf estates on the motorways.

Are the prices coming down? ;)
 New Car - Running in.... - WillDeBeest
I'll ask my neighbour what he paid for his 61 Passat, shall I? The new front may be dull, but his replaces a 407 estate, so my view across the street has still improved.
 New Car - Running in.... - Dave_
As far as running in goes, it needs its legs properly stretching half a dozen times over the first 1,000-1,500 miles or so. Other than that you just drive 'em around as normal these days. The engine build tolerances are so tight that there isn't anything to "bed in" any more, but just remember you're on new tyres and new brake pads for a few days :)
 New Car - Running in.... - AnotherJohnH
As far as running in goes.... I'd argue that

" I am adapting to using higher gears in a diesel after the last two. This car is able to use fairly low revs in high gears."

is the wrong thing to be doing with it - keep the revs up a bit and give it some exercise too when it's warmed up, otherwise you'll be the proud owner of an engine with glazed bores and poor oil consumption.

It needs to be driven.
 New Car - Running in.... - Pat
I can vouch for that too.

Having had a few brand new lorries I always ran them in hard, made them work and they never used oil and went faster too:)

Pat
 New Car - Running in.... - Zero
I have had new cars every three years since 1979, and they all got used hard out of the box, and all were better for it.
 New Car - Running in.... - Runfer D'Hills
I've had mine just over a week and it has already done 1900 miles...Didn't really have time to run it in. Just been using it for it's intended purpose. It's quite nippy for a big car, especially when you use the "sport" button...Whistles innocently....

:-)
I asked the question because I too started wondering about low revs. It is quite happy pulling at 1200rpm which surprises me a bit. I have driven it with some high revs and when it was a bit dry I accelerated hard a bit. It's not as powerful as Humph's Mercedes but it does accelerate quiet well. If I tried driving at 30mph in the Mazda in third it would struggle.

So far done 800 miles in it - not really been anywhere important though. That's cost me - none of it has been business miles. Only had it around 11 days. I think the engine has loosened up a bit. It will accelerate fairly well in sixth gear from 60mph.

I might go for a bit of higher revs after all. Trying to get closer to the quoted MPG figures if I can. I know I won't get there but I'd like to see it do better mpg than the Mazda.

And it is a lot nicer than the Mazda6 (which was a fine car) but then it did cost £10k more. BIK is around £3 more per month.

Someone above said: "I've noticed a lot of 61-plate Volkswagens on the road". In the 61 plate thread I mentioned I'd seen more VWs on a 61 plate than all the others put together. Still the case. VW had a big push I understand.
You need to be running it between 1500 revs and the red line, take it to just near the red line at least once a journey when its warmed up.

You can then let it lumber along in lower revs when its grown up a bit
 New Car - Running in.... - Runfer D'Hills
Red line only once a journey? Oh dear... Righto...

:-)

You and I know better Humpy, but if I said that the "ohh you'll break it brigade" will moan

In truth my last three diesels got taken to the rev limiter when warmed up and running in.

We have not had the "I stick rigidly to the manufacturers handbook" response yet.
 New Car - Running in.... - bathtub tom
I recall reading somewhere that the first twenty miles were critical. When I was delivering I'd take them to the red after about ten.

I doubt if they were loaded onto transporters at tick-over.
 New Car - Running in.... - WillDeBeest
We have not had the "I stick rigidly to the manufacturer's handbook" response yet.

Yes, where is l'Escargot? Hope his shell is still shiny.
Thanks Z.

>> You need to be running it between 1500 revs and the red line

It mostly is 1500 or higher but not pushed it towards the red line as much as I perhaps should. 70mph in sixth is about 1800rpm.

Something I was slightly surprised with is I checked the speedo accuracy. When it is doing an indicated 80 it's doing a true 77. More accurate than the speedo on the Mazda6 and the Mondeo. at 30mph it's pretty much spot on.
 New Car - Running in.... - Dog
Stick rigidly to the manufacturers handbook.
 New Car - Running in.... - corax
Thrash it man, otherwise the next owner will be knocking the charcoal out with a hammer and chisel..
Latest Forum Posts