Motoring Discussion > Eurotunnel - top price but top customer service. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: R.P. Replies: 13

Eurotunnel - top price but top customer service. - R.P.
You may recall my thread about our unexpected dash to France last month (seems a lifetime ago now) - we travelled by Eurotunnel - what I didn't disclose at the time was that the single price (£78) had ballooned to a £163 when the clock struck 11.00pm (servers set to CET - thus classifying my purchase as "same day") - a security hitch with my credit card meant I had to re-book at the higher price. Given the circumstances I didn't worry about it at the time and was going to put it down to experience. Anyway dropped them a line when we got home, explaining the circumstances and the CET quirk that I was unaware of at the time of booking. Got a response from them by return of post - saying they would consider the case. They made my day today by reimbursing the difference in the fares. Nice humane and dare I say human touch. They'll get my business again.

PS

The original thread has now been pulled. The "victim" is well known in his locality and the incident has hit the press locally and I don't want to embarrass him or his family.
 Eurotunnel - top price but top customer service. - Pat
I've found them to be excellent on customer service too.
We were returning from a short break in Belgium when we just left Calais and the train stopped.
8 illegal immigrants had tried to board the train and had to be accounted for. We were delayed for a couple of hours but by the time we left the train at Dover, everyone had been given a free replacement ticket.

This meant another long weekend in Ieper:)

Pat
Lucky - I love Belgium, especially that area - sort of planning a trip in Spring next year.
 Eurotunnel - top price but top customer service. - Meldrew
Eurotunnel gets my business, partly because I live 80 minutes from the terminal, and mainly because the check-in is so quick and painless! If you arrive early you are offered an earlier departure at no extra cost - try that with a LoCo airline. None of this nausea of checking in two hours before departure, bags of liquids to be checked, shoes and belts off etc. Just drive up, check in, drive to the holding area and on the train and moving within 20 minutes of getting to the kiosk. £90 return at the moment for a return trip in Jan 2012.
We came back with P&O - 33 quid single and as we were early got an earlier crossing, just as painless as the Tunnel..but it was low peak.
 Eurotunnel - top price but top customer service. - Runfer D'Hills
Tunnel for work and ferry for holidays for me. They don't let you chuck chips to the seagulls in the tunnel.
 Eurotunnel - top price but top customer service. - Zero

>> PS
>>
>> The original thread has now been pulled. The "victim" is well known in his locality
>> and the incident has hit the press locally and I don't want to embarrass him
>> or his family.

ooo! scandal as well! must do a google for that. Our local news is full of the "dead WPC in Blackdown Woods" scandal
 Eurotunnel - top price but top customer service. - Armel Coussine
The tunnel's a handy way to get from London to anywhere in Europe by train, especially Paris, Brussels and so on.

Even so I don't like it. It makes a dry-land connection between this country and mainland Europe. Oo-er! 'Tis flyin in the face of nature Squire... And as for putting a healthy car on a train, it's pure perversion dressed up as no-nonsense utilitarianism. If you do that you don't deserve a car. Like most people.
I can't find a distinction between putting a car on a train (Perversion???) and putting it on a ferry. One has to use one of them to get a car to France and onwards!
Honestly Mellers, I sometimes suspect you may be unworthy of your handle... yes, perversion dressed up as no-nonsense utilitarianism.

'Enjoy some sut-eye,, then drive fom the station to the station hotel in Hamburg... it's a snip at 290 euros too...'

Tchah! Where is the spirit of Toad? You are banging bent nails into the coffin of motoring.
I suppose I should add: of course in cases of urgency none of these aesthetic preferences would count at all. Just in case it isn't obvious.
Took it as read AC. Although I have used it for motoring across in the past, can be especially good for a bike, not trusting jolly jack tars and the damage they can inflict on bikes.
?????
Bikes, like cars are ridden onto ferries and are parked on main or side-stand and lashed to lashing points - these strops can cause damage to fairings and bodywork especially in less than a flat calm sea, motorcyclists are highly suspicious of the "handlers"..
Latest Forum Posts