Motoring Discussion > Car Insurance Up For Renewal Tax / Insurance / Warranties
Thread Author: Duncan Replies: 15

Car Insurance Up For Renewal - Duncan
My car insurance is due for renewal next week, it's an MB E class 220CDI Elegance estate.

I have been quoted via Go Compare (comprehensive, protected NCB)

IGO4 £445
IGO4 More £482 includes legal assistance and breakdown assistance
ASDA £500
Direct Choice £500
Halifax £512

I have never heard of IGO4 and it sounds too good to be true.

What think you?
 Car Insurance Up For Renewal - Runfer D'Hills
I think I'd go back to my existing insurance provider and ask them to match it.
 Car Insurance Up For Renewal - Meldrew
This list of reviews from Martyn Lewis's site will put you well off them! Many of the cheapos catch you out with supplementary fees; Hastings Direct charge £35 to change your address! If they are that bad/awkward setting the policy up just imagine what the claims handling will be like! Avoid I'd say
Last edited by: Meldrew on Thu 27 Oct 11 at 09:41
 Car Insurance Up For Renewal - R.P.
I went with LV - very reasonable.
Here is the "Missing Link" I failed to post earlier, re IGO4

tinyurl.com/6f8c8c2

I am just doing renewal and LV, who I was with for 7 years don't get close. My best quote so far is £165 with SAGA who gave me £15 off just for letting them quote for house insurance which isn't due until next April. I am currently with Esure but they don't include EU cover unless you pay £5 a day so a week in France adds a lot to the basic premium. Saga include 90 days EU cover in the premium so I shall probably be going with them.
 Car Insurance Up For Renewal - VxFan
>> I have been quoted via Go Compare (comprehensive, protected NCB)

Have you tried someone who doesn't appear on price comparison websites?

eg, Direct Line, Tesco, etc
I went direct to Direct Line and their quote was £240 and Confused gave me 17 under £200. That said some of their quotes didn't include stuff I wanted and some were people I hadn't heard of but the concept that not being on a comparison site makes companies more competitive in not totally true IMO
Last edited by: Meldrew on Thu 27 Oct 11 at 10:54
 Car Insurance Up For Renewal - kb
Anyone tried Adrian Flux?

They're on several lists of "Top Ten" companies compared for customer service etc. I went with them this time and found them perfectly OK - willing to match others as best they could and good telephone response (UK, not Bangalore). I always check round and try to be sensible rather than insist on absolute lowest price....but equally won't pay over the top given that you don't know how good they really are till you claim.

I also found Saga good to deal with and the Mrs. is with them now.

The lists tend to show the following as being recommended but, as always, some will have been with them or had renewal figures, and not agreed with the findings.................

NFU Mutual (expensive for most, but apparently good), RIAS (over 50 only), Frizzell (if you qualify), Saga, Royal Sun Alliance/Morethan (has overseas call centres), LV, Fortis, Adrian Flux, Co-op, Marks & Spencer, Prudential.

Some do have £25 or more admin charges (Flux seemed better in that respect). Most acknowledge winter tyre changes as being OK now.
 Car Insurance Up For Renewal - Tigger
>> Anyone tried Adrian Flux?

The reason I moved my landcruiser back to Aviva was that my Adrian Flux renewal went from £350 to £850 ish.

Lots of 4x4 owners found the same thing - something to do with one of AF underwriters withdrawing from the market. A real shame as they had a pretty relaxed attitude to sensible modifications. I found AF pretty good when I was with them
 Car Insurance Up For Renewal - Tigger
>> Have you tried someone who doesn't appear on price comparison websites?
>>
>> eg, Direct Line, Tesco, etc
>>
I'd also add Aviva to that list. Very pleased with my renewals.
 Car Insurance Up For Renewal - Falkirk Bairn

>> >>
>> I'd also add Aviva to that list. Very pleased with my renewals.
>>
The good insurance company is the one that deals with an accident/theft quickly and with little hassle

"Very pleased with Renewals" is fine but I have never had problems GIVING people or Companies money - getting them to do something........now that is the real test.
Well, I have got a quote from Direct Line and their figure was £675.

So, going back to my original quotes, if IGO4 is a no go; are ASDA, Direct Choice or Halifax more acceptable?
 Car Insurance Up For Renewal - kb
Was the broker Bradford and Bingley on your list of cheaper quotes? Was with them for several years without any particular problem and at well priced renewals - but gave them the heave ho when they introduced a £25 admin fee...but now many others have done likewise. Did you not try Adrian Flux and have a haggle with them as I suggested earlier?
Last edited by: kb on Thu 27 Oct 11 at 13:41
 Car Insurance Up For Renewal - Ambo
Broker insure (small i) have been very good for me over three or four years. This year's increase over last was about 6% whereas I believe the industry average was more like 20%. They are a subsidiary of Hastings which is said to be a reliable outfit.

As regards the insurers behind brokers, I have also just learned that some, like Alliance, will not allow a switch if a replacement car is bought, even with adjustments. Some also deduct £50 or more for a refund of the unused balance.

Just renewed with LV= for £475 including protected NCB, legal assistance, windscreen cover and personal accident cover.

LV= came second in Which? Recommended Providers.
 Car Insurance Up For Renewal - Ambo
Correction, Hastings seems to be an insurer.
Latest Forum Posts