Motoring Discussion > Audi A3 + S3 - Help me with my man-maths :-) Buying / Selling
Thread Author: Auntie Lockbrakes Replies: 27

Audi A3 + S3 - Help me with my man-maths :-) - Auntie Lockbrakes
I'm investigating a 2006 Audi A3 2.0 petrol FSI with 43,000 miles on the clock. Tiptronic, 5-door, metallic black, cloth not leather seats. What's not to like?!

Should get similar MPG to my current Kia 2-litre so not too worried about fuel costs. Presumably service intervals are every 20k miles? Does anyone know of a web site where I can find more detailed specs for the car - I'm looking for weight, bhp, 0-60 time, etc... to get a rough comparison with similar cars. Cheers, N.
 Audi A3 + S3 - Help me with my man-maths :-) - Focusless
There's always HJ: www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/audi/a3-plus-s3-2003/
Also Autotrader gives figures if you can find a similar car eg. tinyurl.com/cxuqbop
see Performance & Economy tab
Last edited by: Focus on Sun 6 Nov 11 at 21:34
 Audi A3 + S3 - Help me with my man-maths :-) - Zero
>> I'm investigating a 2006 Audi A3 2.0 petrol FSI with 43,000 miles on the clock.
>> Tiptronic, 5-door, metallic black, cloth not leather seats. What's not to like?!

What's not to like? we don't know you haven't told us the price!!!!!
 Audi A3 + S3 - Help me with my man-maths :-) - mikeyb
Variable service intervals based upon use could be as low as 9K or 18K+ if its still on variable servicing.

Many have been set back to time and distance 12 months/10K
Price is somewhat academic because I'm in NZ where used car prices would make your eyes water Z.

Cost would be my KIA plus approx UK 3 grand.

Am I mad to switch an 18-month old car for a 5-year old one imported second hand from Japan?!
>> Price is somewhat academic because I'm in NZ where used car prices would make your
>> eyes water Z.

yeah I know, but that gives us a chance to gloat.
:-)

Laugh or cry. An X1 that lists at 25 grand in the UK is priced at 37k over here... No thank you.

OK then: 12 grand for a new KIA 2-litre saloon, or 11,500 on a five-year old A3...? A worthy exchange?
 Audi A3 + S3 - Help me with my man-maths :-) - Alastairw
I have the same engine in my Octavia - sometimes think its the only petrol one in the area!

The cambelt is due at 60,000 miles or 4 years, so you might want to budget for the cost of replacement, though I have no idea what that would be in NZ.
Last edited by: Alastairw on Sun 6 Nov 11 at 22:55
 Audi A3 + S3 - Help me with my man-maths :-) - Lygonos
I thought there were some probs with FSI engines eating pistons ?
 Audi A3 + S3 - Help me with my man-maths :-) - -
>> Am I mad to switch an 18-month old car for a 5-year old one imported
>> second hand from Japan?!
>>

Yes, it will have problems of some sort in due course, which will be expensive.

Your Kia is warranted (presumably) and has just lost it's heaviest depreciation costs, worse possibe combination to lose IMO, if you do sell someone is going to get a serious bargain, or more likely the salesman is going to get a nice cup of tea.

On another note, i know people come up with all sorts of reasons why imports from Japan ar low mileage, but the number of grey imports i see here with amazingly similar very low mileages (all of them it seems) leads me to other conclusions... i can't make head or tail of the language so how do you reasonably confirm history and mileage proof.
Last edited by: gordonbennet on Mon 7 Nov 11 at 12:44
 Audi A3 + S3 - Help me with my man-maths :-) - PeterS
If it helps, we've had a 2.0T FSI A4 for just under 4 years / 50k miles. Other than routine servicing (and tyres...) it's cost nothing maintenance wise. I'm sure my handbook indicates a 115k cambelt change as well, but will check this evening...

Mileage wise I'm not sure what msort of miles the imports you see have covered, but I lived in Japan for a couple of years and had a Toyota Altezza whilst out there. I covered less than 12k miles in that time, and used my car more than most as I drove to work most days (I was lucky enough to have a parking space) IIRC the car was serviced every 6 months, but it was a while ago now!

Peter
 Audi A3 + S3 - Help me with my man-maths :-) - R.P.
The key with these cars is to run them on 98RON (or more) petrol - TSIs and cheap supermarket fuel don't mix...(ducks for cover)
>> The key with these cars is to run them on 98RON (or more) petrol -
>> TSIs and cheap supermarket fuel don't mix

OP's is non-turbo FSI though - still applicable?
Last edited by: Focus on Mon 7 Nov 11 at 13:23
My old Golf GTI MK5 was definitely 98RON only - although how many used ones had this regime. From what I've seen on the web seems the FSI is 97 or 98RON recommended - worth the extra money.
Agreed - ours has been run almost exclusively on Shell V Power. Difficult to say what would have happened it we hadn't though!!

Peter
 Audi A3 + S3 - Help me with my man-maths :-) - Alastairw
I run my Fsi almost exclusively on Tesco Momentum (99 ron), and it is definitely smoother and measurably more economical than on ordinary unleaded, which it will tolerate.

My trusted indy told me 60,000 for the cambelt is an absolute must, but the age is less critical, apparently. He told me that after he had done the belt, but I do sleep easier knowing it is ok.
>> My trusted indy told me 60,000 for the cambelt is an absolute must, but the
>> age is less critical, apparently. He told me that after he had done the belt,
>> but I do sleep easier knowing it is ok.
>>

Interesting; I've doubled check the service book for the A4 ('57 plate) and it definitely says 180,000kms or 115k miles - no mention of a time related limt at all!! Spark plugs and pollen filter have a mileage/time limit, brake fluid time-based only, but air filter, fuel filter and toothed belt are mileage based only

Peter
Hi octane fuel will be interesting - the standard stuff here is 91RON and I believe that the premium stuff is only 95RON! Seeing the amount of other imports on the road here, I guess there is a workaround...
It's a smart looking motor Nick, as you say second hand car prices there are immense. Wonder how much it would cost to ship one across from here ?
>> Hi octane fuel will be interesting - the standard stuff here is 91RON and I
>> believe that the premium stuff is only 95RON! Seeing the amount of other imports on
>> the road here, I guess there is a workaround...

You are now making excuses for the fact the thing is going to give you agro, even before you get it.

You know the sensible choice, its not even as if the A3 is that good and so desirable to make up for the pitfalls. It aint. At the end of the day its just a tarted up overpriced VW, HUGELY overpriced down your way.
The plot thickens - I've been informed that the cambelt change on the non-turbo 2.0FSI is 80,000 miles...!

- And to run it on the locally higher octane fuel which is 95RON instead of 91, i.e. normal octane fuel in Europe...
 Audi A3 + S3 - Help me with my man-maths :-) - IJWS14
>> >> The key with these cars is to run them on 98RON (or more) petrol
>> -
>> >> TSIs and cheap supermarket fuel don't mix
>>
>> OP's is non-turbo FSI though - still applicable?
>>

Yes - SWMBO has a VW with this engine and they recommend strongly 98 RON

They also have a reputation for drinking oil.
 Audi A3 + S3 - Help me with my man-maths :-) - Boxsterboy
I wonder if Jap-spec VAGs have the full rust-proofing that the European models get? I've heard that some manufacturers skimp on it if it's not relevant in the intended market. Or is rust-proofing even relevant in your part of NZ?
Rust-proofing? You betcha. Boy can it rain in NZ :-) Mind you, there's hardly ever a frost up here in the north of the North, and the roads are NEVER gritted, so salt erosion's not a worry. Then again, lots of salty sea air in these parts...

Import costs RP? I reckon you can ship a car over from the UK for 700-quid tops. No VAT to pay on top if it's a personal import, but inevitably some dockside fees for fumigation, disinfection etc. (They don't like critters sneaking in to this country!)

A former colleague of mine emigrated from UK to Oz 6 months ago and took his Jag with him - must ask him what the process entailed.

Gonna take a look at 2 A3s tomorrow. I'll find out what my Xmas bonus is going to be next week which will impact my maths considerably...
Well, I was gonna heed all your good advice and err on the side of caution... but then the phone rang and half an hour later I'd sold my KIA! So A3 here we come!
 Audi A3 + S3 - Help me with my man-maths :-) - nick1975
Caution, this is an ageing motor. Just because it's an Audi don't think it's anything special. Just as likely to give you grief as anything else. In the uk mostly driven by old dears, where style matters over substance. Focus kills this all day long
I'll take the risk. Will only do around 9000 miles/year, and it's a classier piece of kit than the KIA it'll replace.

Besides, for the same price over here I can only get a 2006 Focus.
Latest Forum Posts