Motoring Discussion > Ford Mondeo III - TDCi problematic ? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Kithmo Replies: 6

Ford Mondeo III - TDCi problematic ? - Kithmo
I used to have a Mk3 Mondeo TDCi which was a fantastic car, but I got rid because it was like sitting on a ticking time bomb with the impending Fuel pump/injector problems that seemed to plague them at the time.
Are they still as troublesome or did Ford eventually solve the problems before the Mk4 came out.
The reason I ask is that they seem to be a lot of car for the money in terms of a secondhand purchase and a relative is keen on buying one.
Last edited by: Kithmo on Mon 7 Nov 11 at 11:27
 Ford Mondeo III - TDCi problematic ? - Runfer D'Hills
Well, the first one I had went to 120k without any problems, my second one was just shy of 200k miles when I sold it, all but 30k of those miles were done by me, again with no issues. My pal has just sold one with 140k of his miles on it without a hitch ( the Vectra he bought to replace it is a different story ) the Mondeo he had before that went up to 228k without problems. ( Sorry that one had a new exhaust at 200k ) My brother-in-law's "station car" is a Mondy TDCi with 150k on it and it seems fine. Certainly been no bother in the couple of years he's had it.

I suppose someone must have removed the fuses from those particular time bombs !

:-)

Put it this way, if it was my money and that was the type of car I wanted, I'd buy another without hesitation. Others may quite reasonably feel differently.
 Ford Mondeo III - TDCi problematic ? - rtj70
I had a Mondeo TDCi on a 53 plate. One of the first EuroIV 130PS diesels. It was not as comfortable as the Passat before it or the Mazda6 after it. And the current VW Passat CC on 18" rims is more comfortable too.

Anyway problems I had included were:

- Failed EGR valve (lots of smoke)
- Failed EGR valve (broke down - different to the first EGR failure)
- Boot lock failed (would not lock/close)
- Rusting on bottom of doors (common fault for the build period)

So they are not perfect
 Ford Mondeo III - TDCi problematic ? - Kithmo
The one I had was a manual 55 plate EuroIII one (vacuum operated turbo), I bought it at 10k miles and put another 28k miles on it, not many I know, but without any problems. I had a knee operation and needed an automatic, so I was looking at Mk3 TDCi automatics, but in the end I traded up to a Mk4 because of the doubt I had in the Mk3's reliability.
 Ford Mondeo III - TDCi problematic ? - Hard Cheese

Mine was on 140k when I sold it in Oct '10, original clutch, still nice and refined, it was a vacuum operated VV Euro III, the Euro IVs had some issue with the electronic VV actuation.

Ford Mondeo III - TDCi problematic ? - Dave_
Had my 55 plate EuroIV TDCi since March, taken the mileage from 112k to 123k with nothing to report apart from a rough idle for a few seconds after starting, which can be fixed with a software upgrade apparently.
 Ford Mondeo III - TDCi problematic ? - mikeyb
I was only thinking this morning that I have seen quite a few 2005/6 Mondeos TDCi's that have been quite smokey - more so than anything else I have noticed of that age.

May just be down the the volume of them on the road though
Latest Forum Posts