Motoring Discussion > Iffy's laid up - so is his car Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Iffy Replies: 27

Iffy's laid up - so is his car - Iffy
Recent surgery means no driving for me for six weeks.

How will the CC3 take the enforced break?

Before I went into hospital, I put chocks under the wheels and left it in gear, handbrake off.

My plan is to annoy the neighbours by starting the car and running it on tick over for half an hour or so, every week or 10 days.

Can't see the point in doing much else.

Iffy's laid up - so is his car - PeterS
TBH not sure that for 6 weeks I'd even do that. I've left cars for 4 weeks at a time with no ill effects. If you do want to start it it might be better for the car if you could find someone to take it for a 15 ~ 20 minute drive after three weeks, rather than leaving it idling on the drive?

Hope you have a speedy recovery

Peter
...might be better for the car if you could find someone to take it for a 15 ~ 20 minute drive after three weeks...

Agreed, and I would do that if the lay-up period was longer.

The alarm and other standby systems will flatten the battery - my brother's Honda Civic wouldn't start after he left it for a fortnight.

Alternators punch out a decent charge at low revs, so I'm hoping my tick over plan will keep enough oomph in the battery to start the car when I next need it.

Iffy's laid up - so is his car - Old Navy
I would not run it, I have left cars in airport car parks for a month without any problems and had a first time start on return. You would just be giving it half a dozen cold starts unnecessarily. Give the battery a trcikle charge with your ALDI/LIDL charger if anything. :-)

I hope the surgery fixes the problem and you have a good recovery.
 Iffy's laid up - so is his car - R.P.
I would avoid ticking it over and go down the leave it alone smart charger route personally. We could have a rota to take it on an Italian Tune Up trip for you if you want !
 Iffy's laid up - so is his car - Cliff Pope
30 minutes on tickover is about the worst thing you could do to the car. It won't get properly hot as it won't be doing any work, just producing lots of combustion products which will condense and contaminate the oil.

Leave it alone, or get someone to give it a proper drive after a month.
 Iffy's laid up - so is his car - Dog
Once upon a time, long long ago, I left my 525i outside for 6 months while I soaked up the Tenerife sun,
came back when Spring had sprung, charged the bat and all was well.
Seems we are agreed there's no point in doing very much.

Part of the reason for my tick over plan was to stop every drop of oil draining from the top of the engine.

Trickle charging the battery is a good idea, although on hobble power it will be a lot easier to lean in and turn the key.

Iffy's laid up - so is his car - Victorbox
I might start it once in the 6 weeks but more to exercise the brakes and clutch than the engine. I agree 30 minutes idling is not great for the engine, hence I'd only start it once.
 Iffy's laid up - so is his car - Dutchie
Depending on the weather frost etc,I would ask a family member or friend to take the car for a drive once a forthnight.I was in hospital for a few months in the winter 2 years ago.The Jazz disc where rusty and after clearing the rust after a drive the braking was affected.New disc needed.
 Iffy's laid up - so is his car - Dutchie
Get well soon Iffy .
 Iffy's laid up - so is his car - Mike Hannon
+1. Sorry to hear you've been in the wars.
I'd run the car for a while every now and again if I were you. It's what I do with the Jaguar in winter with no ill effects that I've noticed. Because of well-known XJS behaviour I also run the aircon for five minutes when it has warmed up. Incidentally, Honda says their engine is at normal temperature when it has been run from cold until the cooling fan has cut in twice. Good luck.
...I also run the aircon for five minutes when it has warmed up...

Good point about the aircon.

Some likely benefit for very little extra effort, so I will do that.

Iffy's laid up - so is his car - BobbyG
Many cars will sit in fields for weeks on end before arriving at dealerships as brand new cars!!
 Iffy's laid up - so is his car - VxFan
Might be worth while leaving the handbrake off and in gear, just in case it decides to stick on while being laid up.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery, btw. Bloke at work has had both his hips done a few years ago. Like a spring chicken now. Apart from when he crouches down. when he stands back up one, or the other, sometimes both, hips click back into position. Ouch.
 Iffy's laid up - so is his car - Londoner
Never mind the car. She'll be fine.
Get well soon Iffy.
 Iffy's laid up - so is his car - Redviper
The car will be fine - Get Well soon Iffy!
 Iffy's laid up - so is his car - -
Rest for you, spoiled rotten by the good lady, speedy recovery matey.

As for the car, it hopefully hasn't seen any salt yet do don't give it a second thought, the only thing is possibly connect a smart charger to it and let it condition the battery for the period.
 Iffy's laid up - so is his car - MD
Get better soon Mister as we can't have the Z one getting all his own way eh?
 Iffy's laid up - so is his car - devonite
Look on the bright side! - my ole mate has had a hip and both knees done in the last two years. Her hubby is delighted! - she can now get down and scrub the tiles again, a job that had befallen to him, and he hated it!
Decided I was fit enough to break motoring cover today.

Despite doing a lot of stuff on the computer, there were one or two domestic administration tasks which were on the point of spoiling and needed my personal attention.

Did about 20 miles with several stops along the way.

Slight soreness in the hip, but no problems with car control.

If anything, my right leg - which has the new hip - is more mobile now than it was pre-operation.

I wouldn't have wanted to go much further, but it's another little step on the way back to normality.

Iffy's laid up - so is his car - Armel Coussine
>> no problems with car control.

That must be a relief.

Glad to hear you are on the mend Iffski.
 Iffy's laid up - so is his car - Londoner
A milestone achieved. Congratulations, Iffy!
 Iffy's laid up - so is his car - Dog
Ever heard of them new-fangled gearboxes that change gear automatically Iffy?

Apparently they have no clutch either - amazing or what!
 Iffy's laid up - so is his car - -
>> Ever heard of them new-fangled gearboxes that change gear automatically Iffy?
>>

noooo, he's a Ford man, enuff said.

glad you're gadding about Iffy.
 Iffy's laid up - so is his car - MD
>> but it's another little step on the way back to normality.

And he comes here on the way back to normality!!!!!!!!!!!!! (:0:0:)
 Iffy's laid up - so is his car - rtj70
>> Apparently they have no clutch either - amazing or what!

Some automated gearboxes have two clutches (DSG/PowerShift/DualTronic/etc) .... :-)
 Iffy's laid up - so is his car - R.P.
On old school Fords you barely needed a clutch, a beautifully synchromeshed gearbox let you change without one - all went downhill after they became front wheel drive.
Latest Forum Posts