Motoring Discussion > Fair Fuel UK - forthcoming parliament debate Miscellaneous
Thread Author: FocalPoint Replies: 16

Fair Fuel UK - forthcoming parliament debate - FocalPoint
Fair Fuel UK have succeeded in initiating a debate in the House of Commons regarding the planned increases in fuel duty in January 2012 and August 2012, which they claim will add 33p per litre to fuel costs at the pump.

The debate is scheduled for next Tuesday 15th November and they are encouraging people to write to their MPs to encourage them to attend.

For those interested in so doing, the link can be found on their website:

www.fairfueluk.com
 Fair Fuel UK - forthcoming parliament debate - Videodoctor
Don't you mean 33p per gallon? ie. 6p per litre.
 Fair Fuel UK - forthcoming parliament debate - Bromptonaut
>> Don't you mean 33p per gallon? ie. 6p per litre.

I was trying to work out how putting a few more pence on the duty came out at 33p/l. Either its as VidDoc says or they're conflating the duty effect with anticipated raises in crude price.
 Fair Fuel UK - forthcoming parliament debate - FocalPoint
Damn. Poor concentration on my part. I should have said 33p per gallon. (Which is a pretty odd way of thinking of the price of fuel, you must admit.)
 Fair Fuel UK - forthcoming parliament debate - -
If the govt don't take money from those who presumably still have it as they are still driving cars*, they will have to print more of the stuff Zimbabwe style.

Where else would the objectors like them to get the shedloads of money required to repay borrowing and fund the still and ever expanding welfare state.

*yes we know that most people need a car to be able to work and pay the money taken from them in taxes, but the people who make the decisions about such things as this do not live in the real world, and will not suffer the same consequences.
 Fair Fuel UK - forthcoming parliament debate - Stuu
I notice our local tax collecting stations are down to £1.270 a litre GB according to petrolprices.com.

Must be that Asda price war - im yet to see an Asda liveried tank firing on Tesco though, mores the pity...
 Fair Fuel UK - forthcoming parliament debate - Bromptonaut
>> I notice our local tax collecting stations are down to £1.270 a litre GB according
>> to petrolprices.com.

Guess that's unleaded Stu so Diesel will be around £1.33?

That 6p a litre less than Sainsbury's at Weedon Rd Northampton!!!

Off to Sheffield tomorrow so will need to fill up - Asda at Fosse Park might worth a try.
Apparently Morrisons in Corby is showing the cheapest atm GB, Asda hasnt caught up yet, funny given its 'their' price war.
That said, looking at diesel, its still at £136.7 for Corby/Kettering Asda - I guess thats the winter diesel differential taking centre stage - 9p a litre difference, eek, sorry to bear bad news.
Last edited by: FoR on Fri 11 Nov 11 at 16:25
 Fair Fuel UK - forthcoming parliament debate - -
>> That said, looking at diesel, its still at £136.7 for Corby/Kettering Asda -

We use so little Diesel now with the small car the price doesn't matter too much, within reason.

Seems the north of the county is still cheaper than the south and i can't really fathom why except that Asda/Morrisons fuel stations don't feature too much in Northampton itself and they lead the price settings te others follow, Tesco don't see my money so couldn't care less if they were giving the stuff away.

Hope Brompton get's a decent price at Fosse Park.

LPG still 66p at Corby, don't know how long that will be the case and i can hardly fill the car 10 times and syphon it out into jerry cans whilst it's affordable, might top the MB up with petrol whilst it's cheaper though, colder cold starts so runs an extra couple of minutes on the stuff, it might just about use a tankful during the winter, anyway might as well spend it before the govt takes it directly out me bank account, wouldn't put it past them.

Fair Fuel UK - forthcoming parliament debate - oilburner
Given the rampant rate of inflation, adding 6p a litre barely keeps the duty level to what it is now, when adjusted for inflation, that is.

Asking them to scrap the planned increase is tantamount to asking for an outright reduction, which would be nice, but who would pay for it?
 Fair Fuel UK - forthcoming parliament debate - Pat
It would be nice to see wage increases keeping up with inflation.

Most lorry drivers haven't seen a pay rise at all in the last 4 years and a great many have voluntarily taken a pay cut in that time.

The usual reason given is the high cost of diesel to run the vehicles, if this carries on, none of us will be afford to get to work to drive the lorries.

Pat
Ive not raised my prices for 8 years and now doesnt seem the time...

Hate to think what ive lost with inflation, still its all good fun, work has picked up abit of late curiously and my business customer is employing new people who likey to spendy spendy.
 Fair Fuel UK - forthcoming parliament debate - Zero
The only time I started getting pay rises in the last 4 years is when I retired and my pension is index linked!
 Fair Fuel UK - forthcoming parliament debate - mikeyb
Our annual payrise is being negotiated at the moment. They have offered us £500 as a one of payment, 3.5% backdated to June, another 250 lump sum in Jan, and 2.5% in June 2012, and a further 0.5% if the company hits it targets.

Sounded like a good deal to me and I was happy to accept, but unfortunately those who are members of the trade union voted against it and want more.......they are hanging on the inflation being 5% line. I guess they haven't been reading the papers lately
 Fair Fuel UK - forthcoming parliament debate - WillDeBeest
Most lorry drivers haven't seen a pay rise at all in the last 4 years...

Not just lorry drivers, Pat. My employer managed to retain jobs at the start of the downturn by controlling costs across the board, for which I suppose I'm grateful. But it hurts to remember what the same salary I'm paid today would buy back in 2007. Still, nil plangendum, eh?
 Fair Fuel UK - forthcoming parliament debate - Iffy
Not much in the way of pay rises in journalism in the last few years.

One newspaper group asked its staff to take an extra week of leave - unpaid.

Fair Fuel UK - forthcoming parliament debate - Pat
I know it's not just us WdeB, and a lot of others have lost jobs, so we could be worse off.

I think we all need to remember though that a rise in the cost of petrol means an inevitable rise in the cost of diesel, which in turn means a rise in most things we buy, and so we all get hit with a double shot:(

It does hurt to think how much we earned a few years ago compared to now, and I'm convinced that we all work harder now to cover other cuts that have been made....mostly because of loyalty to firms we've worked for for years.

Pat
Latest Forum Posts