Motoring Discussion > Volkswagen Passat - Car in canal Green Issues
Thread Author: Zero Replies: 35

Volkswagen Passat - Car in canal - Zero
So PU! I bet your dog walk is not as exciting as this! Happened this very morning on my normal dog walk route. I heard the sirens some 10 minutes before I went out, so I grabbed the camera - just in case.

www.flickr.com/photos/mrknowwun/sets/72157628021704487/
 Volkswagen Passat - Car in canal - Focusless
Looks like no one was still in it?
 Volkswagen Passat - Car in canal - R.P.
They're not Zero ! Stolen one assumes ?
stolen, dumped or failed handbrake. The emergency services were pretty cool, and started to pack up quickly. Car was empty. Will be a lot of "environmental impact" paperwork to fill out tho!
 Volkswagen Passat - Car in canal - Iffy
Good stuff, Zeddo.

Your local news outlets will be interested in the pics/footage, although they won't pay you anything for it.

Sent an email to the newsdesk of the local paper, offering them the original JPG's.
...Sent an email to the newsdesk of the local paper, offering them the original JPG's...

They should offer you a pic byline.

Local telly would probably be interested as well - nice colourful shots of the three nines services, and you have just enough moving image footage for the newsreader to tell the story over it.

>> ...Sent an email to the newsdesk of the local paper, offering them the original JPG's...
>>
>> They should offer you a pic byline.

Its item 3 on the Woking News and Mail web site, they used the picture with the car, the boat crew and the fire crew in the background. I have been given a picture byline and the news desk said they have sent me a few quid expenses in the post.

Fire crews scrambled after passer-by spots car partially submerged in canal
17 November 2011

By Ben Brown. Picture by xxxxx

EMERGENCY teams were called out after a car was spotted floating in the Basingstoke Canal at New Haw today (Nov 17).

A fire crew from Chertsey and another from Walton-on-Thames attended the incident at Scotland Bridge Road.

A passer-by dialed 999 fearing someone may have been trapped in the vehicle which was believed to have been stolen.

Fire crews took to the water in a dinghy and made a thorough search inside the car and the canal bed.

A spokesman from Chertsey Fire Station said: "There was no one in the car and it was believed to have been pushed from a nearby car park."

The incident happened at 7.30am and fire crews and police stayed at the scene until 10.30am.

The paper had just been put to bed, so it wont be in print, and unless its a very bad news week, probably wont make the next edition.
Last edited by: Zero on Thu 17 Nov 11 at 14:29
...The paper had just been put to bed, so it wont be in print, and unless its a very bad news week, probably wont make the next edition...

Not the biggest story in the world, but everyone monitors everybody else in news, so other media might now pick up on it.

Volkswagen Passat - Car in canal - swiss tony
Very nice pictures G.P.
 Volkswagen Passat - Car in canal - VxFan
>> A passer-by dialed 999 ....

While someone else ran home to get his camera ;)
...While someone else ran home to get his camera ;)...

Many fire brigades have a brigade snapper who takes pics for release to the press.

Brigades like reports of their activities because it proves to the public the crews do more on a shift than sleep, play pool, and watch Sky TV.

Should this story ever produce a court case, one or two of Zero's pics will find their way into the prosecution bundle.

Were I the owner of the car, I'd include one in my insurance claim - a picture's worth a thousand words, as they say.

So what with providing the local paper with a story, Zeddo's done a public service in several ways.

Volkswagen Passat - Car in canal - Fenlander
Autoquake car eh... are those rust bubbles on the nearside windscreen pillar? Tax almost out... time to dump perhaps.

There's a local cut this way where they have to lower the river level every few years to pull out the vehicles. Oddly last time the haul included a horse trailer with the remians of the horse inside!
Last edited by: Fenlander on Thu 17 Nov 11 at 10:36
 Volkswagen Passat - Car in canal - DP
My money's on TWOC. What a waste.
...My money's on TWOC...

New cars are hard to get away, so if it's TWOC, it may be a fishing rod key burglary, or a son taking daddy's car for a joyride.

These incidents sometimes develop into decent stories.

If this one does, it will make Zero's pics all the more desirable for the news media.

Volkswagen Passat - Car in canal - idle_chatterer
Used to cycle past that spot en-route to the Weighbridge office, never anything as exciting as that to see though I'm sure there was a house boat near there featured on DIY SOS. Anyhow, the area appears to be going down hill perhaps ? ;-)
Last edited by: idle_chatterer on Thu 17 Nov 11 at 13:50
>> Used to cycle past that spot en-route to the Weighbridge office, never anything as exciting
>> as that to see though I'm sure there was a house boat near there featured
>> on DIY SOS. Anyhow, the area appears to be going down hill perhaps ? ;-)

yeah there was, and the good part to the story was that it sunk five months after DIY SOS did their stuff, Its now been broken up and carted away.
 Volkswagen Passat - Car in canal - idle_chatterer
>>
>> yeah there was, and the good part to the story was that it sunk five
>> months after DIY SOS did their stuff, Its now been broken up and carted away.
>>

Did it ? Sad, I guess it did always look to be listing.
 Volkswagen Passat - Car in canal - Hard Cheese

Used to live no more than 200 yds from there, the garden backed onto the canal ...

Volkswagen Passat - Car in canal - hjd
I work part-time at the industrial estate just round the corner. Not there today, though.
 Volkswagen Passat - Car in canal - bathtub tom
Is it navigable? I hate to think what all that weed would do to the cooling system filters.
 Volkswagen Passat - Car in canal - Armel Coussine
What crystalline photos Zeddo.
 Volkswagen Passat - Car in canal - Cliff Pope
Green lane
>> Is it navigable?

Yup, but not often.

Volkswagen Passat - Car in canal - RichardW
These guys got much further driving on water....!

www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2010/jan/12/men-arrested-after-driving-frozen-canal
 Volkswagen Passat - Car in canal - Dulwich Estate
I got £25 for magazine published photo in about 1980-ish. Since then I've offered photos a few times but they never want to pay anything for them, so I don't bother now.

Yes, I am a cheapskate.
 Volkswagen Passat - Car in canal - Fursty Ferret
I wondered where I parked the car.
I hope you navigate better than that at work!
 Volkswagen Passat - Car in canal - Fursty Ferret
>> I hope you navigate better than that at work!
>>

Sat nav, innit?
 Volkswagen Passat - Car in canal - Manatee
Lot of duckweed in there. Soon builds up though, even on well used stretches. You need some ducks.
 Volkswagen Passat - Car in canal - sherlock47
Good to see the emergency services all in attendance for 3 hours - even if they did not talk to each other while you were taking pics!
 Volkswagen Passat - Car in canal - Bromptonaut
Can we call you Geoff now?
I had got there too, even thought of emailing the mods to point out that Zero was risking his anon ...
 Volkswagen Passat - Car in canal - Runfer D'Hills
He could just change his screen name to "No oil"

:-)
Be very Very careful there GA!
Hehe
Latest Forum Posts