Motoring Discussion > A tale of three hire cars ... Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Hard Cheese Replies: 9

A tale of three hire cars ... - Hard Cheese

Ford Grand C-Max Titanium 1.6 TDCi
Picked this up at Bordeaux airport, loaded it with luggage and five people and headed for Biarritz, at this point I did not know the engine size though based on the spec and six speed box I guessed it was a 2.0 140 (Focus II and C-Max I 1.6 TDCis came with 5 speeds boxes). It was not a ball of fire though for a car of this size (full seven seater with sliding doors) five up and loaded it performed well hence I was surprised the next day when I noticed the info sticker in the passenger door shut said it was a 1.6 115. We did about 1500km in it in and around the Pyrenees and it performed much more strongly that a C4 Picasso 1.6 110 with basically the same Ford/PSA 1.6 diesel engine had done two years ago. The C4 Picasso was five speed as I recall and I think had a bigger gap between 2nd and 3rd gears which made it harder work up the mountain passes though the latter version of the engine in the Grand C-Max simply felt more flexible. In performance terms we had an easy 160kph (100mph) on the autoroute while five up which makes me think it would easily exceed its quoted 112mph top speed. It was also great to drive dynamically with direct steering and strong brakes and was very quiet at speed, I was expecting some wind noise around the sliding doors though there was none and at a 130kph / 80mph on cruise it was very refined. This Titanium model came with most gadgets including the Ford self parking system which we did not get to properly try though is clearly quite clever as is the folding/sliding rear seat system. It also had a conventional hand brake (unlike the C4 Picasso and the last C-Max MkI I drove) along with an auto hold system, the ideal combination. Attractive cabin, good driving position, frankly not a bad word to say other than it would look better on more sporty wheels.

Vauxhall Meriva Turbo
I had this for a day out of Glasgow airport, drove to Edinburgh and back, I assume it was the 120bhp version (rather than 140bhp) of the 1.4 turbo petrol engine because it did not perform very strongly despite me being on my tod, also the interior was rather uninviting with a strange multilayer centre console that was able to slide back and forth, I couldn’t see the point. Frankly it felt less substantial than the old Meriva and most other early to mid ‘00s Vauxhalls. I remember driving a Meriva in around ’04/’05 with the 1.8 125bhp n/a petrol engine and it was great fun, good handling and steering and a crisp, free revving and punchy engine. This new one is not a patch on the C-Max from my recent experiences.

Mercedes C-Class C180 BlueEfficency Elegance auto
I again booked a car out of Glasgow with Europcar, I paid £50 for, this time, two days and expected a C1 or similar, upon arrival at the Europcar desk I was told that if I did not mind an auto then I could have a better car - no brainer. Nice cabin ambience, good ride handling combo though not as sharp as the 1-Series. The C180 uses a supercharged 1.8ltr unit producing 156bhp (the C250 had a 204bhp version of the same engine), the performance was more than adequate via the seven speed auto box though the “sport” setting seemed to change down almost too enthusiastically. Not too keen on the round LCD screen that displays mileage, trip etc, it’s the graphic design that I am not keen on, perhaps other models have different graphics. It averaged 40mph in my hands despite being driven enthusiastically, not bad for a decent sized auto petrol saloon. Could I live with one? Undoubtedly though I don’t think it would be my first choice. Then again a C350CDi estate, or a C63 ...

I'm a little surprised that no one has any comments or experiences of similar cars ...

... anyone interested in a 6 month report on a 123d?

EDIT: spellin'

Last edited by: Cheddar on Fri 25 Nov 11 at 21:01
 A tale of three hire cars ... - legacylad
No disrespect Cheddar, but I would be more interested in a 456M.

Why was 10 scared? Because 789 ...
 A tale of three hire cars ... - Bromptonaut
Only car I've hired in last decade was at Stornoway airport in December 09 - celebrating my 50th birthday on the Western Isles.

Medium hatchback turned out to be a 52 reg Renault Scenic, petrol engine probably 1.6. Nice car, comfortable in both front and back and surefooted in the 'all seasons in a day' weather we took. Being used to a diesel I stalled it at every opportunity but that was me not the car.
 A tale of three hire cars ... - Pezzer
... anyone interested in a 6 month report on a 123d?

yes very much so - I'm stalking Autotrader for another 120d or perhaps a 130i (123d is too new)
 A tale of three hire cars ... - Londoner
>> ... anyone interested in a 6 month report on a 123d?

Yes please. I had a 120d for a couple of days once. Very good and underrated car due to its marmite looks.

BTW, has the turbo blown up yet? ;-)
 A tale of three hire cars ... - rtj70
>> Very good and underrated car due to its marmite looks.

I think the current 3 series has Marmite looks. I do not like it. I like Marmite.

I also like some pre-Bangle BMWs. And a few others since.

Back in 1999 I was looking at new cars... I thought I should consider the 3 series. I really didn't like sitting in one. Roll forwards to 2011. I still didn't. A 5 series was nice to sit in for me... but the pay up went from about £12 to nearer £90 per month.
 A tale of three hire cars ... - Londoner
You made the right choice, IMHO, not only because of the financial considerations, but also because your car is much more striking looking than a 5er.
Like I've said before, I really wish that VW had made the Passat CC a hatchback. I'd have gone for it.

>> yes very much so - I'm stalking Autotrader for another 120d or perhaps a 130i
>> (123d is too new)
>>

Funilly enough I drove a 130i last week, I will get onto it when I have a chance.
Latest Forum Posts