Motoring Discussion > Citroen C5 II - Are belts covered under warranty? Tax / Insurance / Warranties
Thread Author: Dieselboy Replies: 24

Citroen C5 II - Are belts covered under warranty? - Dieselboy
Just had my 58 plate C5 in to investigate a squeaky noise. Turns out to be alternator pulley that is seizing and making the belt slip.

Garage say they have to get authorisation from Citroen for the belt as it's a consequential item. Surely if item A fails and takes item B with it, they should both be covered under warranty?

I feel I know the girl on service reception better than Mrs DB...
 Citroen C5 II - Are belts covered under warranty? - Meldrew
If it is squeaking it isn't damaged, yet. I can't think a belt is that expensive and a lot of things aren't in the warranty, bulbs and wiper blades come to mind.
 Citroen C5 II - Are belts covered under warranty? - VxFan
>> I can't think a belt is that expensive

An alternator belt for my Mk3 Cavalier was something like £30 or £40 over 10 years ago. Probably nearly double that now.
 Citroen C5 II - Are belts covered under warranty? - Stuu
Id be rather suprised if they didnt cover the belt - its not a big ticket item and to compound the issues the customer is already having by asking for money for a small part would be a very poor customer relations decision. Seems unlikely they would go there tbh.

I remember when the wifes Sirion went in for new pads and they called and said it needed new discs too, I assumed I was to pay for them - not so, Daihatsu coughed for the discs and there was no sharp intake of breath by the service reception behaving like they were doing contract negotiations, they just went ahead and did it.

Citroen C5 II - Are belts covered under warranty? - Manatee
Tell them it should be covered because, not in spite of, being consequential.

If the cam belt broke in warranty and bent all the valves, would they just replace the belt?

Doesn't say much for the dealer - if they had any customer empathy at all, they'd replace the belt and have any argument with the manufacturer in private.
 Citroen C5 II - Are belts covered under warranty? - Iffy
...they'd replace the belt and have any argument with the manufacturer in private...

Agreed.

I think any warranty claim is only approved reluctantly by the manufacturer.

But as you say, the customer shouldn't be drawn into the negotiations.

I think OP is talking about an alternator belt, not a cam belt. Big difference!
>>
 Citroen C5 II - Are belts covered under warranty? - Iffy
...Big difference!...

The warranty process is the same.

Citroen C5 II - Are belts covered under warranty? - ....
I'd look for another dealer DB as has been suggested.

We've had warranty work carried out on our German registered Citroën at a small UK dealer no questions, no haggling, just done.
Yes, I think for the next thing that goes wrong I'll go a little further afield to a smaller, family dealer.
Good move! For the last 11 years I have put my cars, first a Pug and then a Ford, into small family run official dealerships and have had excellent service. Big enough to know what they are doing and small enough to provide a personal touch.
 Citroen C5 II - Are belts covered under warranty? - Victorbox
A broken belt tensioner on our Corsa C was replaced under warranty and thne drive belt was replaced with it as a matter of course.
 Citroen C5 II - Are belts covered under warranty? - Bigtee
The pulley seizing makes the belt slip and thus burns the rubber belt so when it spins freely the belt may have stretched and is now slipping on the pulleys.

They should just replace it.
 Citroen C5 II - Are belts covered under warranty? - RichardW
Alt belts for C5II diesels are around £25 at dealer prices - half that at factors.
They said it was £26+VAT, so £31.20. For a belt.

Hmm.
Worries me more that under my ownership it's had -

- new rear screen (heater elements not working)
- new os headlamp (aim incorrect. Rather than repair they replaced)
- new ns front window regulator

Is it a sign of French gremlins at work....?
Last edited by: Dieselboy on Sat 19 Nov 11 at 22:08
 Citroen C5 II - Are belts covered under warranty? - swiss tony
>> Worries me more that under my ownership it's had -
>>
>> - new rear screen (heater elements not working)
>> - new os headlamp (aim incorrect. Rather than repair they replaced)
>> - new ns front window regulator
>>
>> Is it a sign of French gremlins at work....?
>>
Naw, run of the mill stuff.
 Citroen C5 II - Are belts covered under warranty? - mikeyb
TBH dose not sound like to much over 3 years, but by contrast my C5 has had nothing done under warranty and its 2.5 years old
 Citroen C5 II - Are belts covered under warranty? - ....
Our C4 GP has had two pieces of work under warranty, my Volvo S60 had one under warranty.
For what we use the Citroën for we're considering buying it when the lease is up.
 Citroen C5 II - Are belts covered under warranty? - mikeyb
Actually I should correct - the bonnet catch got stuck open a few weeks back after I filled the screen wash. Called the AA and they sent out a local firm who took the catch apart and greased it up for me. Guy said it was down to the position causing it to get full of crud and the fact that it hadn't been greased at service time.

I have to get mine MOT'd before I return it to the lease co - If it passes with no concerns then I might ask them how much they would let me keep it for, as I'm not really sure what to replace it with.

The other option is to go bangernomics for a bit - I dont really need a new good car, but just like having one.
Well, pulley wheel and belt changed. Squeaky noise still there. Technician (? mechanic) said he reckons it's actually from behind the timing belt cover. Car booked back in for 3 days next week for them to (hopefully) accurately diagnose and replace.

Pffffftttt.
 Citroen C5 II - Are belts covered under warranty? - Bromptonaut
Very similar to our experience with our Berlingo c2009.

Noticed a ticking noise. Thought first it was something in a tyre but more careful listening identified it as tracking engine rather than road speed.

Local dealer replced auxilliary belt and declared it cured until he did a road test - still there. Investigate under cambelt cover. Turns out idler pulley bearing going causing belt to try and run off crank pulley splines - fortunately pulley design stops this. Belt fraying and causing wear indentations on pulleys. Pulleys, idlers, tensioner and belt all replaced £600+.

Been fine ever since.

Someday I'll get round to my 100k miles in a Berlingo thread. Not wholly trouble free but it's the first car I've had get to (or near0 that mileage without being flatbedded at least once!!
 Citroen C5 II - Are belts covered under warranty? - RattleandSmoke
We got the serpentine belt on the Fiesta for done for £25 including labour and a free bulb.

Luckily I had noticed the old one had shredded to pieces just before it would have snapped.
Well, timing belt, idlers and tensioners all changed yesterday after 3 days without my car. Drive it home and 'bong bong'! ESP/ASR System Faulty message flashing up.

It's going back in this morning. They know I Am Not Pleased.
Brake switch replaced under warranty...

Wonder what the next thing will be to go wrong?
Latest Forum Posts