Motoring Discussion > Cars'n'organs Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Crankcase Replies: 16

Cars'n'organs - Crankcase
I appreciate probably nobody here is interested in cinema organs other than me, but if one were jump to 11:44 in this little archive film, you will see some car related tomfoolery from the sixties. Even got some glamour in it, of a sort.

www.eafa.org.uk/catalogue/5092

Cars'n'organs - Dog
Some nice models there Crankie (and the cars weren't bad either)

A brilliant organist, and that Compton is simple in-cred-ible!
 Cars'n'organs - Mike Hannon
>>I appreciate probably nobody here is interested in cinema organs other than me<<
WRONG

Wurlitzer, Compton, Christie, Conacher, Spurdon-Rutt, Zoller, Barton...is this your language? It's been part of mine for more than 40 years.
When I lived in Somerset years ago the guy who owned the filling station near me (Piccadilly, between Taunton and Wellington on the A38) had the complete Compton from the ABC at Paignton (IIRC) in bits out the back - all except the original blower, which had been bricked up when the cinema was bingoed and it was too much trouble to get it out. I seem to recall he swapped it with some cash for a dismantled Wurlitzer. As ever, I left the area before hearing what happened to it.
Sadly, cinema organs are almost unknown over here, so I have to get my fixes either by recordings, internet or at the Odeon, Weston-super-Mare when I'm in England.
Don't get me started...
You won't then, wish to hear of the lovely all white Wurlitzer on eBay last year in full working order for twenty five of your Earth pounds then. :)

Complete with "press the little button under the console for an amplifier boost and watch your neighbour's house fall down" feature.

Funny how garages ended up with cinema organs. As an addition to little film I posted yesterday, here is another, colour this time, and indeed there is a car showroom complete with organist in the middle somewhere, so, mods, stop hovering, it still really does have a motoring link.

www.eafa.org.uk/catalogue/148702

Thanks! I've now wasted half a morning trying to identify the guy in the first film, everyone else is credited. He says he is 60 and was born in Harrogate and he worked with Sandy McPherson at the BBC. Any ideas?
If the mods are still hovering maybe we could have a 'spot the make' competition with the workshop shots in the first film. ;-)
Gerald Shaw, you mean?
Of course. I should have recognised the glasses! And the Compton bias...
 Cars'n'organs - Focusless
As it happens I caught the end of Nigel Ogden's 'The Organist Entertains' programme on Radio 2 last night as I was driving home. He introduced a version of 'Baker Street' played on a Hammond X5 (whatever one of those is), and the first few bars sounded quite promising - you know, the gentle chords and gradual build up before the sax solo comes powering in. But then it got to that solo...

Well, I suggest you have a listen - jump to 23:00 and see what you think. It's definitely entertaining :)
www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/console/b017kc8v
Thanks for that. That's...very.....well, I think I'll leave it there.

:)

Cars'n'organs - Harleyman
Another organ fan here, though I don't indulge as much as I used to.

I was fortunate to have Southwell Minster Grammar School as my alma mater, and trooping into the Minster every morning for assembly (though it seemed a chore at the time) left me with a life-long love of the instrument. Was also lucky to have Kenneth Beard as Rector Chori, one of the finest church organists of his time.

Still got a TechnicsSX70 in the house, sadly I rarely get time or chance to play it (badly) since wifey's not a fan and having the sound through headphones just ain't the same.

Pat might remember the little transport cafe near Sutton Bridge which used to have a Wurlitzer organ, though I can never recall anyone playing it.
Last edited by: Harleyman on Wed 30 Nov 11 at 20:26
 Cars'n'organs - Robin O'Reliant
>> Another organ fan here, though I don't indulge as much as I used to.
>>
Ooh err, missus ;-)
 Cars'n'organs - Zero
One of the saddest losses to the humanity are the Wurlitzer organs, rising up on the stage at your local grand Art Deco Odeon.
 Cars'n'organs - Slidingpillar
Regrettably no longer there, and no longer a pub, but the Plough at Great Munden had a Compton complete with linked Grand Piano. Used to be a hobby taking folk there who didn't know of the organ and watching their jaw hit the floor.

I did hear the Wurlitzer played at the Gaumont State in Kilburn for a silent film, by an old lady who genuinely used to play for the silents, when they came out. Probably in 1980 or therabouts. A trip arranged as part of the St Albans Organ Festival (primarily the church organ, but does spread its wings a bit).
Last edited by: Slidingpillar on Wed 30 Nov 11 at 22:40
 Cars'n'organs - Alastairw
Stockport Plaza (a fully restored super cinema from the 30s) still has it's original Compton, though I think it was stored at in the town hall for a while. Still in regaular use for concerts as well as pre film overtures etc.
 Cars'n'organs - pete4344
Stockport is lucky to have 2 working theatre organs within half a mile. Apart from the Plaza Compton (which as far as I know has never been stored in the town hall), there is the superb ex Free Trade Hall / Paramount Wurlitzer, which is now in the town hall ballroom. Well, it would be superb if it hadn't been installed with the console at the front of the hall, and the pipes at the back - creating a large delay which some organists struggle with.
 Cars'n'organs - Pat
I remember it well HM, but like you I never knew it to be played at all.

Pat
 Cars'n'organs - Avant
Although a church organist, I too am a fan of cinema organs: thanks very much for the links above.

If any of you are in Cornwall, you should visit Paul Corin's Magnificent Music Machines between Liskeard and Looe. Google him for more information. Paul provides a guided tour and as I'm an organist he let me have a play. Great fun.
Latest Forum Posts