Motoring Discussion > Just bought an in-car camera. Accessories and Parts
Thread Author: Videodoctor Replies: 16

Just bought an in-car camera. - Videodoctor
I have just received one of these in-car camera's.

tinyurl.com/blodnr9

The quality of the product is very good and the video it records is excellent.It has a 2.5 inch screen and all leads and connectors.All for less than £24.Delivery took 12 days to the Uk from Hong Kong.

It also can be set to record just movement which is handy for when your parked up and get hit by some joker.
When the memory card is full,it starts recording over from the beginning.I have fitted a 2gb card for now and that gives an hour on lower quality or 40 minutes on top quality.
It can be set up so that when you start the car it automatically starts recording and stops when you reach your destination.

I am no way endorsing this product just a happy customer.
 Just bought an in-car camera. - Focusless
Looks interesting vd, especially at that price. Any chance you could upload some sample footage onto youtube or similar?
 Just bought an in-car camera. - kb
I guess you'll have looked at the Roadhawk DC1, or it's predecessor, RH1 at £200 and thought this one a bargain. The RH records GPS....can't imagine your one does....but at that price you wouldn't expect it. Await any user experience in time.
Here's some footage from the same camera as mine.

www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=dLjKMz4tqXU
 Just bought an in-car camera. - L'escargot
>> Here's some footage from the same camera as mine.
>>
>> www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=dLjKMz4tqXU

Why aye man, I reckon that's Middlesborough.
 Just bought an in-car camera. - Manatee
Were you stung for any duties/VAT etc?
>> Were you stung for any duties/VAT etc?
>> No nothing at all.Just paid the price on Ebay and it arrived 12 days later.They even give you a tracking number as well.

Highly recommended.It could be invaluable in a crash as evidence.
 Just bought an in-car camera. - idle_chatterer
I've noticed that many of the Taxis in HK have these fitted, it's a bit off-putting when the driver checks the pull-out screen whilst moving, however (especially at night) most of the RTAs I've seen involve Taxis, Minibuses and scooters so I can understand why they have them.
 Just bought an in-car camera. - Snakey
Whats the battery life like on these? Thats the clincher for me - if I have to recharge every day its not worth the hassle.

It looks like a mobile phone battery in there - wonder if you could replace that with a higher rated one?
 Just bought an in-car camera. - Zero
idealy it needs a +12v switched ignition feed
 Just bought an in-car camera. - Enoughalready
I bought one of these too, great bit of kit.

I've taken a link out of the bracket so it sits right at the top of the windscreen, above the rear view mirror. That way it can't be seen very easily by potential thieving gits. The supplied 12v cable is lplenty long enough & tucked into the headlining, down the side pillar and into the cigarette socket.

I've had it about 2 weeks already & not only is it fun to see again some other drivers silly mistakes but I also caught a hit & run on a parked vehicle.

My reason to get it? I like gadgets, especially cheap ones but also to ensure that I don't get caught up in some sort of crash for cash scam like these two..

tinyurl.com/7k39ajg (In Russia but becoming increasingly more common in the UK)

tinyurl.com/7vfhkgw Funny, but what if he didn't have a dash cam?

The model number of the camera is H198 so you can see reviews online. I too got mine from China without any added duties requested. Stuck a 4gb SD card in on loop record.
 Just bought an in-car camera. - AnotherJohnH
I've been playing with trying this out on my 'droid:

www.dailyroads.com/voyager.php

Certainly chomps the battery, and I'm not sure yet what would happen if the phone rang at the psychological moment..

It can optionally get the GPS involved if you really need to know where you were when it all went wrong, but recording the speed in the corner of the media is a two-edged sword.
 Just bought an in-car camera. - Dutchie
24 pound that is a good price.Why are some of these camaras over 200 pound? There must be a good make up selling these things.
 Just bought an in-car camera. - AnotherJohnH
>> 24 pound that is a good price.Why are some of these camaras over 200 pound?
>> There must be a good make up selling these things.
>>

The expensive one has gps mapping built in,

Google roadangel and compare that with a camera/recorder

Different kettle of fish

Also one is direct from china no tax or local profit on sales

Last edited by: AnotherJohnH on Wed 21 Mar 12 at 15:13
 Just bought an in-car camera. - John H
A camera of this type could have helped Martin Devon in resolving the situation (one way or the other) that he faced recently with the plastic plod giving him an ASBO.

Just bought an in-car camera. - CGNorwich
I think we are becoming a little obsessed with security cameras in this country. Shoulder mounted cameras fore and aft next. You never know who you might bump into or who might be following you. Paranoia rules OK
 Just bought an in-car camera. - Crankcase
Shoulder mounted? Nah, you do it with a baseball cap.

my20percent.wordpress.com/2012/02/27/baseball-cap-head-up-displa/

Latest Forum Posts