Motoring Discussion > Car Wash or not... Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Runfer D'Hills Replies: 25

Car Wash or not... - Runfer D'Hills
My car does a lot of miles. 1000 a week is not unusual. Resultantly it gets pretty dirty. It also has black paint so the dirt really shows.

I'm not precious about it, it's a working car and if it gets mucky well so be it. Normally, I'd wash it at the weekend but for the last two weeks time ran out and it didn't happen. This weekend looks set the same way. Fag packet maths says it'll now go 3000+ miles without a wash. It's already minging so by next weekend it'll look like a skip.

Now, I've always tried to avoid automated car washes and indeed the jet wash thingies and I'm nervous about Eastern European hand jobs ( stop it ! ) but, does the panel think a quick run through a car wash given the exceptional circumstances would do more harm than good or am I being too cautious?
 Car Wash or not... - Iffy
I don't see a problem with the occasional auto car wash.

The modern ones have strips of foam rubber rather than plastic bristles, so are less likely to scratch.

I used one when I was too crippled to wash the CC3 and will probably do so again when I resume driving.
 Car Wash or not... - Lygonos
Automatic washes are probably better (with respect to causing fine scratching of the paint) than jet washes (with brushes that have been repeatedly dropped on the ground) or 'hand jobs'.

Metallic black paint shows up the fine scratches worse than lighter finishes, so I'd wash it by hand myself on the rare occasions a shiny car was desired.

If you're not that bothered about trying to preserve a 'mirror' finish to the clearcoat then I'd use an auto.

Keep it dirty through the winter - that fine layer of cack protects the paint....
 Car Wash or not... - PeterS
The only thing I find with automatic car washes is that they don't actually clean the car very well. However our local homebase has a small car cleaning operation; its a professional looking set up with power/water and a canopy for drying cars under. They use jet washes, not buckets of grimy water, and do a cracking job for a fiver. A tenner gets the inside done too (not needed that yet!). Mines been there twice since I bought it, but the Audi's have been there most months over the last 4 years and the paintwork on both still looks good

Peter
Last edited by: PeterS on Sat 26 Nov 11 at 10:53
Still enjoying the car Peter? I've absolutely fallen head over heels with mine. I genuinely look forward to getting up at stupid 'o olock to do a long run and often take the country roads for the heck of it. Mine has the "sports" suspension set up and it's a joy to throw down the lanes. ( hence the mud issue ! )

:-)
 Car Wash or not... - corax
You could do what I've done with mine, although I don't think you'd have the patience. Do a proper job on the paintwork, clay it, then go over it with a really durable sealant. I did this with mine and used Carlack polish then Carlack acrylic sealant over the top. This is supposed to last a year, and judging by the shine I still have after five months I reckon it won't be far off the truth. I've only cleaned it once since I prepared it, it just doesn't get dirty - a lot of the muck just slides off when it rains. I also used Gtechniq sealant on the wheels. This brand is probably the best - their crystal laquer is even scratch proof.

You could then use an auto wash and hopefully the paint would be protected from the swirl marks left by the machine. But if you do what I've done you'll find that the dirt won't stick to the car nearly as well.

Car Wash or not... - R.P.
Can't the lad do it for you ?
 Car Wash or not... - PeterS
Yes, going well - though not loosening up as quickly as yours - still to crack the 1k mile barrier (though it has spend most of one of the three weeks I've had it at MB having the rear bumper repaired!!)

It does go well though, and manages to be relaxing or enagaging to drive, depending on how the mood takes me, which is a fantastic blend of abilities I think. Despite the lack of optional extras on mine it's got absolutely everything I could need (and quite a few things I don't...)

I'm not sure what the diference in suspension across the versions is though; mine has 15mm lower 'direct control' suspension, with 'comfort; suspension a no cost option (not fitted), but whether that's the same as the 15mm lower 'sport' suspension I wouldn't like to guess. The ride/handling balance of whatever mine has works well - I remain to be convinced that the 18" wheels are really necessary though.

Other comments? The walnut trim is growing on me, and the car never feels it's size, unless you're trying to extract something from the back of the boot... Other niggles are the plastic surround on the lumbar adjustment lever is very nasty plastic, and the auto-dipping mainbeams are too slow to react on some roads - so much so that I've deactivated them to avoid blinding people. The only other criticism would be that it on damp roads (of which there are plenty at the moment) it's a bit too easy to spin the wheels briefly, especially when pulling out of junctions, despite the 265 tyres at the rear. I keep doing it too ;-)

All in all it's an absolutely cracking car, and I love the looks. Glad I don't have to maintain a black one though ;-)

Peter
Last edited by: PeterS on Sat 26 Nov 11 at 11:30
 Car Wash or not... - Clk Sec
3000 miles without washing your car. You should be hanging your head in shame.
:)
 Car Wash or not... - bathtub tom
Bung it through a car wash. I used to put a works van through one and it seemed to do it no harm.

You know not to have any 'special treatment', like wax, to muck up your windscreen.
 Car Wash or not... - -
Assume you have a reasonable expense account, could you get a regular Stu of Cheshire to pop round your gaff and sort it for you one day every week during winter and every other during summer?
If not DIY, i have a permanent solution of good car wash in a 2 gallon bucket and spray hose ready beside it, and a long handled soft bristled brush similar to a soft floor brush, takes me 10 minutes for the body work.

This is going to sound odd, but if you can spare just 5 minutes wash your wheels every single week with a gentle solution of normal car shampoo and sponge, even if you don't have time for the rest of the car, MB alloys are diamond cut and lacquered and will not stand neglect, they will look cack in short order if salt gets under the lacquer.
 Car Wash or not... - movilogo
East European lads in by nearby towns do hand car wash for just £3. Pretty good value for money IMHO.

My only complaint is that unless I visit them in unsocial hours, I need to stand in long queue of at least 4-5 cars before me.
Well funnily enough it has been treated with Merc's "Star Guard" wotsit stuff. Supoosed to keep it shinier. Right enough, it rained heavily yesterday and it does look cleaner !
 Car Wash or not... - legacylad
In almost 40 years motoring I have never put a car of mine through a car wash. Not that I have an aversion to them, just that I have progressed from a bucket & sponge to a pressure washer at home. Then a bucket & sponge if time allows.
Incidentally, someone down the road from me has recently taken delivery of an E350 CDi estate. Very nice too.
Well, we're now quite a lot muddier than the car. Just been out with the pooch, wife, son, son's mate and son's mate's dog.

We decided to extend our normal canal bank 3 miler. My wife said... "if we cross this field here, it'll take us in a loop round the back of a village, down a bridleway and back round to the canal bridge further up. I've run it in the summer" she said.

Right enough it does take you that way. What she didn't mention was that it adds about 5 miles and an hour and a quarter. What she also didn't mention or maybe realise is that it is currently like the Somme down there.

Both dogs are supposed to be white...Currently they are not.
 Car Wash or not... - Ted

OMG....machine every time..cheapo option at £1.99. Take the aerial off the Note and pull the aerial down on the Vit and tuck it the door top...That's the only effort involved. Sit in the warm and listen to the music !

I don't run the Jowett through, but that's only 'cos the roof aerial won't come off and there are various bits to catch the brushes.

Life's too short !

Ted
 Car Wash or not... - VxFan
Hand job for me every time. Last time I used a car wash for my own vehicle, it was hungry and ate the door mirror.

However, if your car is just a working tool and not your pride and joy, then a car wash will be fine. Just avoid the ones that haven't been fed.

ps, why on earth did you pick a colour that shows every mark? If you want a relatively maintenance free colour then you should have gone for something light, eg white or silver.
 Car Wash or not... - Roger.
Get a silver metallic car next time!
Our Alhambra has had no more than half a dozen washes since we bought it last December and is only now needing its first one since August.
All our company cars are black. Italian company.

Capisce?

:-)
 Car Wash or not... - henry k
>>Get a silver metallic car next time!
>>
I agree. After choosing white cars for decades I had to resort to the only option a silver/gray one.
I totally agree the crud does not show. I do however wash the wheels more frequently as they really do look bad.
Get all black steel wheels. (!)
 Car Wash or not... - VxFan
>> Get all black steel wheels. (!)

Ah, Mad Max wheels.
 Car Wash or not... - henry k
>> Get all black steel wheels. (!)
>>
And get an insurance hike as they are non standard ? :-(
 Car Wash or not... - rtj70
You have the wrong insurance company Henry K. And also the wrong outlook on life judging from the other posts you did recently. Chill.
 Car Wash or not... - idle_chatterer
I never use automatic car washes - even on company cars, I just don't like the ice-rink swirl look, they often leave bits unwashed too (that stripe up middle of rear bumper 'look') and can't clean wheels properly IMHO. SWMBO though I was mad for hand-washing my company car but it's in my DNA, can't abuse any car - even when it isn't my own.

I used hand car washes occasionally, the one at our (former) local Tesco was quite good - clean(ish) buckets and sponges, pressure washer only used for rinsing after grit removed etc.
All in the small print of my LV insurance certificate !
Latest Forum Posts