Motoring Discussion > Eating and drinking while driving Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Iffy Replies: 70

Eating and drinking while driving - Iffy
I used to enjoy a nibble while driving.

But I stopped doing it after I found myself weaving in the lane.

I'm also mindful of the lass up my way who was nicked for due care while eating an apple, although I think she got off on appeal, if I recall.

I still slurp coffee from a travel mug - seem able to do that without swerving.

What's your drinking and eating while driving policy?

Eating and drinking while driving - Roger.
Eat as quickly as possible!
 Eating and drinking while driving - R.P.
I used to eat at the wheel (bought in snadwiches, crisps the lot) at one time - no time to stop in-between places I had to be. Would never do it now.
 Eating and drinking while driving - Robin O'Reliant
I sometimes (like today and yesterday) have a cup of tea in the cup holder while I drive.
 Eating and drinking while driving - bathtub tom
I'll have a swig from a water bottle if SWMBO in passenger seat removes the top first and she'll unwrap a Werthers if I ask her nicely. Anything else and I'll stop.
 Eating and drinking while driving - madf
Gin & tonic - premixed to prevent splashing.
 Eating and drinking while driving - Zero
Used to do it a lot. Ginsters pasties (you can split the end of the pack and pull the pastie out with your teeth as required, crumbs stay in the bag) Sausage rolls (same technique), chocolate- load of stuff.

Do I do it now?

Yup you bet, and all manner of hot and cold drinks from various types of mugs and bottles. Waitrose have a special on Orange Gatorade at the moment - very thirst quenching.
 Eating and drinking while driving - Armel Coussine
>> Yup you bet,

Me too, but less than I used to.

Steering wheels are the filthiest things we touch apart from computer keyboards, so your unpleasantly cold Jumbo sausage roll or weirdly tasteless egg sandwich will at least keep your resistances to stomach bugs on the alert, like eating hors d'oeuvres in an expensive restaurant at least from the biological point of view.

Drinking at the wheel is another matter. An old friend, hitching from Oxford to London at the end of the fifties, got some jolly USAF people from Brize Norton in a big Chevrolet. On getting in the car he had been handed a bottle of hard liquor to match the ones the driver and passengers were holding. Every five minutes they would pass the bottles on, so everyone got good doses of whisky, brandy, gin, tequila and vodka. Perhaps that wasn't the exact list, but the effect was heavy doses of grape and grain.

Speeding up Holland Park Avenue, the jolly troops hurled the empty bottles out of the window. The driver stopped at Notting Hill Gate to let my friend out, opened the door and fell out himself. My friend had some small difficulty finding his way home although it wasn't far.

Working-class Americans can be jolly good fun, I have always noticed.
 Eating and drinking while driving - Cliff Pope
Someone ought to be collecting these anecdotes, AC, they are priceless.

The risk when eating and steering is of over-correcting, or (dare I say it?) of holding the wheel with two hands instead of one when opening the packet.

It's much better just to let go for a second or two - cars steer themselves quite well.
 Eating and drinking while driving - Dave_
I'll put my hands up (not whilst driving though) and admit that, like a couple of others here, I frequently fill myself up and drive at the same time. In fact, it's been pointed out to me that if I drink from a 500ml soft drink bottle when NOT driving, I still tilt my head to one side so i can see directly forward whilst the bottle is inverted.

As with conversations with passengers when driving etc, I can always pause the eating/drinking action during moments of extra concentration or complicated manoeuvres.
 Eating and drinking while driving - sherlock47
The only times that I recall drinking and eating on the move is the regular 650 mile drive south from Calais. The low traffic density of French autoroutes makes it a lower risk than the M25 or M20 :)

However I make sure liquids are in small bottles and always reduce speed. SWMBO has to be repeatedly cajoled into reducing speed when doing similar, either lacks an imagination or understanding of vehicle dynamics.
 Eating and drinking while driving - Robin O'Reliant
I do find it can be a little tricky getting the chip pan off the primus stove when negotiating a roundabout, but I make sure my thumb is over the air-horn button at the time so I don't have to brake suddenly and upset the hot oil all over the carpet.
 Eating and drinking while driving - Roger.
I once bought a Ginster's pasty from a MW service stop.
It was the single most disgusting thing I have ever eaten. Cold with soggy "pastry" and a filling unlike any pasty I have sampled before - and I am NOT a fussy eater!
 Eating and drinking while driving - teabelly
Don't and never have apart from the odd sweet. Makes a mess in the car! Most I'd do is to have some water if stopped at lights maybe.

If you're eating/drinking while moving you're not in proper control of the vehicle.
 Eating and drinking while driving - RattleandSmoke
In the summer I will have a sip out of my can of coca-cola while at lights, but a couple of times I got caught out and the lights changed to green before I could put the can down, so I try and avoid it as it could be classed as due care.
 Eating and drinking while driving - bathtub tom
>>I will have a sip out of my can of coca-cola while at lights

I had to pick up a vehicle who's regular driver kept an open can of coca-cola in the door pocket to sip from when on the move. Every time he slammed the door a little would splash over the seat.

Ever been stuck to a seat?
 Eating and drinking while driving - CGNorwich
"If you're eating/drinking while moving you're not in proper control of the vehicle."

I'm sure someone can prove, au contraire, that the opposite is the case ;-)
 Eating and drinking while driving - Bromptonaut
Provided I'm cruising or jamming and Mrs B or another competent adult is handing me stuff I'll eat picnic stuff (sandwiches, cold sausages, cheese sticks etc). Coffee from a flask works in the 'lingo as there's a place for the cup.

Solo I'm restricted to what's unwrapped and on the passenger seat.
 Eating and drinking while driving - Dave_
As with most things, it comes down to the individual driver's ability. Some drivers get all flustered when they need to lift the clutch and lower the handbrake at the same time, whilst others can negotiate a roundabout smoothly whilst eating a chocolate bar, operating the indicators and flicking the wipers at the same time.

>> Coffee from a flask works in the 'lingo

Try pouring it into the cup in the pitch dark at 4am on the M69...
Last edited by: Dave_TDCi on Tue 29 Nov 11 at 21:53
Question

Why are travel mugs so useless at keeping drinks hot? Flasks do it perfectly well, so why do travel mugs fail so badly? Anyone got experience of one thats nearly as good as a flask AND thin enough to fit in a cup holder?
 Eating and drinking while driving - Harleyman

>> Why are travel mugs so useless at keeping drinks hot? Flasks do it perfectly well,
>> so why do travel mugs fail so badly? Anyone got experience of one thats nearly
>> as good as a flask AND thin enough to fit in a cup holder?
>>

Tesco's or Asda's own brand. The other good thing about them is that the top is a push fit rather than a screw, so you can have the handle either way round. The trick is to warm the cup with hot water before putting the drink in. And keep the sliding bit shut till you're ready to drink, closing it after sipping.

If I make myself a tea in our depot at Carmarthen, it is just perfect for drinking by the time I get to Bridgend, and will still be hot at Newport.

One thing I do find with travel mugs is that with regular use, gunge tends to accumulate under the sliding cover. I soak mine regularly in boiling water with a dash of Milton's Fluid added.
"Why are travel mugs so useless at keeping drinks hot? Flasks do it perfectly well, so why do travel mugs fail so badly? '

I believe its all to do with the relative surface area. The small volume of a mug has a comparatively large surface area adjoining the interior of the flask through which heat will be lost albeit slowly. A flask with a large volume has a comparatively smaller surface area.

That why animals living in cold climates tend to be larger than their warm climate counterparts.

Mugs also have larger stoppers or lids than flasks and that is the least thermally efficient part of the container
 Eating and drinking while driving - Harleyman
>> As with most things, it comes down to the individual driver's ability.

Absolutely. I come across a lot of drivers on a daily basis who are not eating, drinking, using a phone, listening to a radio, or steering one-handed, but are still not in proper control of their vehicle.
>> not eating, drinking, using a phone, listening to a radio, or steering one-handed, but are still not in proper control of their vehicle.

As I have often said here and elsewhere. One size doesn't fit all and there are a lot of people on the road who shouldn't be.

It is because the automobile was cast in the role of a driving force of capitalism, back in the days when only capital was global, before everything was. If the car had remained an expensive gadget for people who love and understand it the world would be a very different place.
This looks like its the bees knees. Expensive but it gets universal praise

www.amazon.co.uk/Contigo-Autoseal-Travel-Mug-Silver/dp/B001RMGVU8/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top
 Eating and drinking while driving - Ted

Thanks for that Zedric....just ordered one...red, to match me car !

Ted
I bought one of these a few years ago. Works a treat and fits a cupholder.

www.brugomug.co.uk/
 Eating and drinking while driving - Bromptonaut
>> Try pouring it into the cup in the pitch dark at 4am on the M69...

Only do-able in jams or if Mrs B is handling the catering!!
 Eating and drinking while driving - Avant
I try to avoid it, but I'll admit to an occasional swig from a can of Red Bull on a long motorway run. Better that, surely, than getting drowsy?
 Eating and drinking while driving - Mr. Ecs
No. Not fit to drive. Don't. How many fatal collisions happen in the early hours. Lots. Can't be due to traffic volume. Its either numpties and their laziness to pull off and park to eat something or those who doze off because they're too tired. If you're are tired, don't drive. You put yourselves and others at risk. And you could end up in prison.
Simple. Eat before you drive anywhere or take a break. I cannot believe the professional attitude on here has generated posts of the poorest behaviour.Lead by example guys, be in control of your machines and live a long life. I'd hate to scrap you off the carriageway into a bucket at some time.
Now you've done it Mr Ecs.

It has always been my dream to be scraped off the carriageway into a bucket by someone so disapproving and so phenomenally wised-up on every aspect of safe, legal automobile use. Perhaps I will come and drive suicidally in your neighbourhood.

On second thoughts though (were I ever in need of being so scraped), the sound of your approach might cause me to reconstitute myself with a prolonged shlupping sound like a cyborg character in one of these schlock computer generated movies, and run away.
 Eating and drinking while driving - Auntie Lockbrakes
I can drive fine whilst eating. But the problem I have is clothes covered in crumbs (or worse!) when I get to my destination! I need a tray table ;-) Just this morning I managed to slosh a few drips of a pink energy drink on to my nice clean shirt....
>> I can drive fine whilst eating. But the problem I have is clothes covered in
>> crumbs (or worse!) when I get to my destination! I need a tray table ;-)
>> Just this morning I managed to slosh a few drips of a pink energy drink
>> on to my nice clean shirt....

wear a pink shirt, problem solved.

(yes real men can wear pink)
 Eating and drinking while driving - Hard Cheese

>>mindful of the lass up my way who was nicked for due care while eating an apple, although I think she got off on appeal>>

Hehe!

McDonalds choc shake is my thing occasionally though it sits in the cup holder very well and is easy to take a quick slurp from via the straw without the cup coming above the window line.

Eating and drinking while driving - legacylad
The Stanley 16oz Outdoor Drinks flask works brilliantly. And it comes with a lifetime warranty. I have bought several of these as presents the past few years and all my friends have been delighted with them.
It seems to fit all cupholders.
...mindful of the lass up my way who was nicked for due care while eating an apple, although I think she got off on appeal...

The best thing about that story was the follow-up created by The Sun.

They set up a donut stall outside Pilgrim Street police station in Newcastle.

It didn't take them half an hour to get what they wanted - a picture of a copper driving a patrol car while eating a donut he'd just bought from the stall.

Last edited by: Iffy on Wed 30 Nov 11 at 08:08
>>
>> It didn't take them half an hour to get what they wanted - a picture
>> of a copper driving a patrol car while eating a donut he'd just bought from
>> the stall.
>>

Thank heavens for the gutter press, the last bastion of common sense and freedom.

Like that poem about mercenaries who "saved the sum of things for pay". Remind me Jeeves, who wrote that?
>>
>> >>mindful of the lass up my way who was nicked for due care while eating
>> an apple, although I think she got off on appeal>>
>>
>> Hehe!
>>
>> McDonalds choc shake is my thing occasionally though it sits in the cup holder very
>> well and is easy to take a quick slurp from via the straw

A Maccy D milkshake is NEVER easy to slurp, you need the suck of Gillian Taylforth to get that stuff up the straw.
>>
>> on to my nice clean shirt....
>>

New thread - "Changing clothing while driving" ?

Eating and drinking while driving - Oldgit
This discussion is related to the one I started about driving single-handed. None of your actions are to be encouraged. If you need to eat or drink, park up and then do it, surely? However smart and witty retorts are no doubt the order of the day.
 Eating and drinking while driving - madf
Gillian Taylforth did worse things than eating when driving ...
...Gillian Taylforth did worse things than eating when driving ...

Parked in a lay-by, I think you'll find.

>> However smart and witty retorts are no doubt the order of
>> the day.
>>

I'm not joking, it's a matter of factual observation.
You want to get a polo mint out of the packet. You might think the best method was to hold the tube in your left hand, still holding the wheel, and then with your right hand extract the mint. But my experience is that is highly likely to induce a wobble. The brain appears to disconnect at the moment of trying to shift from one to two-handed manipulation.

It is much safer in my view to keep one hand on the wheel and hold the tube and scratch at the end of the tube with the other.
 Eating and drinking while driving - movilogo
I never eat while driving. Just can't stand food crumbs soiling the seat near my croch.

But I do drink water/tea/coffee/coke from cans/mugs.

Eating and drinking while driving - henry k
>>But I do drink water/tea/coffee/coke from cans/mugs.
>>
What I want is one of those containers with a built in flip up straw/spout.
I can fill it with squash and when at the wheel can extract the contents while my eyes are still on the road. Flipping down the spout reseals the container so it can be dropped rather than aimed at the cup holder if I happen to need two hands at the wheel:-).
It is obviously better than having a can and viewing through the sunroof as the contents level goes down.
Yes I will be a secret drinker - its what my right hand is for since they put indicator stalks on the wrong side.

Do they have a generic name and can someone point me to such an item?
 Eating and drinking while driving - Runfer D'Hills
Perhaps it could just be included in the driving test?

There could be a choice of fillings for sandwiches depending upon preferences or religious restrictions, a selection of tea, coffee or soft drinks etc.

The test could be to negotiate a city centre route while consuming the sandwich, drinking the coke or whatever and making a concurrent phone call. Smokers could opt to use a tab as a substitute for the sandwich. An advanced version could be to do all this one handed.

Provided they pass this new no spillage / no accident part they could then go on to get on with their lives without fear of being prosecuted over a sudden urge for a ham salad sub.

:-)
 Eating and drinking while driving - Pat
>>Smokers could opt to use a tab as a substitute for the sandwich<<

Mmm, I had you down as a man who could manage a tab and a sarnie at the same time:)

Pat
Unless there's something seriously wron with my maths, this thread doesn't add up.

The vast majority came out firmly on the side of both hands on the steering wheel at all times yesterday.

Today the vast majority confess to eating and drinking at the wheel.

Would you all like to tell me how you get this drink from the cup holder to your mouth, likewise the food?

Confession time...or do we all have fairies in our cars trained to do that?

Pity some of you couldn't have said all this yesterday:)

Hope you all feel guilty now, get indigestion and can't reach the Rennies!

Pat
Never eat more than boiled sweet when I am driving. Not really a safety thing although I don't think it s a good idea from that aspect. Just that I was brought up with the idea that it was bad manners to eat whilst do something else. Don't much like to see people eating walking down the street eating either, let alone swigging from a can or bottle.
 Eating and drinking while driving - Alastairw
Henry, the cup you describe exists, but is mostly aimed at toddlers. I imagine you would be able to find something suitable in Mothercare, but would you be brave enough to be seen drinking out of it? Strikes me as a very good idea mind you.
 Eating and drinking while driving - henry k
Strikes me as a very good idea mind you.

Seem to be called hydration bottles
gearpatrol.com/blog/2008/01/22/camelbak-better-bottle/

An interesting design for a coffee mug.
www.brugomug.co.uk/Discover.aspx

>> I'm not joking, it's a matter of factual observation.
>> You want to get a polo mint out of the packet. You might think the
>> best method was to hold the tube in your left hand, still holding the wheel,
>> and then with your right hand extract the mint. But my experience is that is
>> highly likely to induce a wobble. The brain appears to disconnect at the moment of
>> trying to shift from one to two-handed manipulation.
>>
>> It is much safer in my view to keep one hand on the wheel and
>> hold the tube and scratch at the end of the tube with the other.

You grip the tube firmly in your right hand, witha third of the packet uppermost out of your grip. Push a thumbnail firmly into the pack causing a split. Raise pack to mouth - flip polo mint out with your teeth.

Easy peasy limoni squeezy.
 Eating and drinking while driving - Lygonos
Eat the packet.

Poop out the foil.

Much safer.
 Eating and drinking while driving - rtj70
If you have amalgam fillings, the foil can cause discomfort.

Edit: Would the body not ingest aluminium foil in the gut? Curious that's all.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Thu 1 Dec 11 at 00:59
Doubt it - I think the oxide layer on aluminium prevents it being dissolved by hydrochloric acid in the stomach, and the enzymes in the rest of the gut don't do much to break down metals.

I'll let you know in a couple of days....
 Eating and drinking while driving - rtj70
You're missing the key point of my follow up to your tongue in cheek post.

It's when the the foil is in the mouth I was referring to.
 Eating and drinking while driving - devonite
Whilst on about eating metal.... on the program "Ade in Britain", it was stated that Antimony was used as a laxative or to "clear the bowels".
This rare metal was retrieved after use!!! and reused many times.
There are reports that it used to be handed down from father to son down the ages.
Wiki seems to bear this out under the Medical uses section"

Elemental antimony as an antimony pill was once used as a medicine. It could be reused by others after ingestion.

just thought you`d be interested"
 Eating and drinking while driving - Manatee
>> Doubt it - I think the oxide layer on aluminium prevents it being dissolved by
>> hydrochloric acid in the stomach, and the enzymes in the rest of the gut don't
>> do much to break down metals.
>>
>> I'll let you know in a couple of days....

...if you remember. Aluminium has been linked with Alzheimer's.
>>...if you remember. Aluminium has been linked with Alzheimer's

Half-past six.
>> >>...if you remember. Aluminium has been linked with Alzheimer's
>>
>> Half-past six.
>>
I like pizza.
...I like pizza...

But not at this time of the evening.

That idea was discarded long ago. Al is the most abundant metal in the earths crust so would be hard to avoid.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camelford_water_pollution_incident

Anyone remember this ?(!)
Do I detect that after an embarrassed silence yesterday afternoon, the subject has been swiftly changed?:)

Pat
No - we are all stuffing our faces.
...No - we are all stuffing our faces...

...with one hand, and texting with the other.

Eating and drinking while driving - Ambo
I was pleased to find my new Hyundai i10 came with a large drinking vessel already installed, but uit turnwed out to be an ashtray - one for a really dedicated smoker since it would take half a pint of fagends.
Now there speaks a non smoker:)

We never, ever use ashtrays in cars or lorries because it makes the vehicles smell.

We buy those round tins of bolied sweets, eat the sweets and use the tin, carefully replacing the lid when not in use!

Now who's going to admit that they'd always wondered how we did it?:)

Pat
Last edited by: pda on Thu 1 Dec 11 at 13:50
Not me - never wondered about it !!! I thought smoking in a lorry was illegal now (only yanking your chain !) :-o
Whoever told you that RP, certainly not a lorry driver!

Pat
No-one, thought it was something to do with that smoking in the workplace stuff. ;-)
Latest Forum Posts