Motoring Discussion > Le Mans car expected to fetch £800,000 Buying / Selling
Thread Author: Zero Replies: 6

Le Mans car expected to fetch £800,000 - Zero
A vintage car involved in the Le Mans disaster of 1955 is expected to fetch up to £800,000 at auction in Weybridge.

The Austin-Healey 100 special test car competed in the race in which 83 spectators were killed and many more injured.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-surrey-15984446
 Le Mans car expected to fetch £800,000 - Dave_
It sold for £843,000:

cars.uk.msn.com/news/1955-le-mans-crash-austin-healey-sells-for-%C2%A3843000
 Le Mans car expected to fetch £800,000 - Boxsterboy
These bankers (I assume they're the only ones who would spend so much) are a morbid bunch, aren't they? I mean how much would a 'normal' Austin Healy that wasn't an accessory to multiple deaths go for?
 Le Mans car expected to fetch £800,000 - Armel Coussine
>> much would a 'normal' Austin Healy that wasn't an accessory to multiple deaths go for?

In fairness BB, it wouldn't be a 'normal' Austin Healey even without the butcher's bill. It would have been race prepared for the event, perhaps - but not necessarily in those days with an amateur driver - to a high level.

No information is given on whether it was Lance Macklin's car. If so close examination of the rear end would be interesting. Has it been repaired since? Or was it another Austin Healey not really involved in the Levegh crash?
Last edited by: Armel Coussine on Fri 2 Dec 11 at 21:16
 Le Mans car expected to fetch £800,000 - Hard Cheese
I understand that it is Macklin's car.
 Le Mans car expected to fetch £800,000 - henry k
>> I understand that it is Macklin's car.
>>
From the first BBC item

"Lance Macklin was driving the car at the Le Mans race in 1955 when it was struck from behind by Pierre Levegh's Mercedes-Benz 300SLR."
 Le Mans car expected to fetch £800,000 - Armel Coussine
Even so it's a steep estimate. Only fit for a museum anyway after decades in a shed and that's where it will probably end up. Can't see anyone rebuilding it for historic racing.

Latest Forum Posts