Motoring Discussion > Cruise Control. Love it or hate it? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Pat Replies: 80

Cruise Control. Love it or hate it? - Pat
In a nutshell, I hate it, so much so, I see it as the root of all evil and the cause of many accidents.

I shall put my case against it.

As soon as CC is engaged the brain to a certain extent switches off and a false sense of security slips in.

It is the harbinger of boredom, and boredom means inattention as the mind wanders.

It induces sleepiness as the constant speed is hypnotic and disorientates drivers.

The obsession with using CC to save fuel hasn’t helped, and means that it’s used more and more in totally inappropriate situations.

Take roadworks on a motorway as an example of another common use…to maintain the speed limit.

Roadwork’s = narrow lanes= bunched up traffic in all lanes.

How anyone can use CC in a close proximity situation like that is beyond me and to my mind, dangerous.

Then of course there’s the reluctance to knock it off a couple of clicks when you need to pull out to overtake. Who can honestly say they have never played the game of watching the offside mirror and the fast approaching car in front and have done mental calculations about whether they can get away with leaving it on?

Tailgating….CC is to blame for a lot of that too.

So go on, convince my I haven’t got a case against cruise control 

We’ve had the Mondeo now since July, I don’t know where the CC switch is and I will never use it, but I can always tell when it’s being used by the driver when I’m a passenger because the whole driving ethic changes.

Pat

Cruise Control. Love it or hate it? - R.P.
No opinion..Strangely the X1 hasn't got it and I don't miss it. The RT (bike) had it and I only put it on to maybe stretch a hand on a long run. The GS hasn't got it. Don't miss it. Some of the intelligent systems address some of Pat's gripes.
 Cruise Control. Love it or hate it? - Jonwm
Quite like it if i'm honest, tend to use it on the motorway and duel carriageways mostly but not in traffic, I live near the M42/ M6 so in a morning tend to leave it off.
I travel to Telford a few times a week and tend to stick it at 80mph and can go from the M6 to Jn 4 of the M54 without taking it off.

I'm a fan!!

Jon
 Cruise Control. Love it or hate it? - Runfer D'Hills
Use it regularly and with pleasure north of Preston and south of Calais. In between it's useless except maybe in the wee small hours on the M40. Makes eating, drinking and steering with one hand easier too...
 Cruise Control. Love it or hate it? - Hard Cheese

Had it on the Mondeo (the switch is on the steering wheel BTW), didn't on the FocuST and missed it, love it on the 123, like the Mondeo it is a seemless take up, a good system IMO.

Cruise Control. Love it or hate it? - Iffy
Neither love nor hate it, but I do use it.

Most of my motoring is done on relatively traffic-free roads, so I can set and forget for long stretches.

Agree with Cheddar, the Ford system is nice and simple to use.

Cruise Control. Love it or hate it? - Zero
Had it on my last two cars, dont have it on my current car - I miss it.

My driving ethic never changed, I used to tweak it up and down via the control switch to suit the traffic flow. I suggest Pat that your phobia is because you cant fathom it out. Bit too techy for you, being a woman and all.

I am off out now - shant see her reply ;P
 Cruise Control. Love it or hate it? - Lygonos
might hear it though
I think that's the best thing you can do Zero.....

I can fathom it out alright but I can also see the situation surrounding me and am perfectly capable of reacting to it immediately. I don't need to have CC to switch off or cut out through braking to give me a pause in that situation.

It undermines a drivers ability to keep a steady right foot, moved imperceptibly to match the unfolding situations.

It assumes we're all idiots and can't do that...maybe you can't Z, but I can:)

Pat
 Cruise Control. Love it or hate it? - hawkeye
Mrs H's C3 has it. She ignores it but I will use it whenever I think appropriate. I find it useful for the roadworks 50 limits and will vary the speed up or down a notch so I don't lose my safety distance or spend ages overtaking. The car does a lot of trips down the A1 and across the M62 to the in-laws in Huddersfield nowadays. When Mrs H drives the car reports her consumption as 41 mpg ish. The CC and I can usually better that by about 4 mpg and get similar journey times.

I neither love nor hate it but as it's present and dead simple to operate I will use it, just like my auto wipers, electric doors and auto lights. I don't sense it alters my interaction with other road users in any way.
Last edited by: hawkeye on Fri 2 Dec 11 at 17:05
 Cruise Control. Love it or hate it? - ....
Together with heated seats and aircon, CC is on my must have list.

I read your comment:
"It induces sleepiness as the constant speed is hypnotic and disorientates drivers."
and it made me wonder how much do you vary your speed by ? Does the variation between say 68 and 74 really keep your awareness level up ?

The 80-60-80 mob bemuze me. You pass them while they are doing 60 so they speed up and pass you at 80+ then they pull in and the speed falls away, you pass them and the process is repeated. What is that all about ?
I've never used it in a car but in a lorry I would vary between 52mph and 56MPH which was enough to feel the need to keep the right leg awake.

When you start to lose concentration and feel tired invariably your right foot eases up on the gas, and it was always a warning to me that I needed to open the window and get some fresh air when I started to lose speed.

Pat
 Cruise Control. Love it or hate it? - ....
I suppose people use CC differently as they do the accelerator.

I vary the speed to match the surroundings with my thumb with CC on, you use your right foot to do the same thing. I'm guessing you are looking at the folks who set CC and then sit there at the preset speed regardless as to what is unfolding around them.
 Cruise Control. Love it or hate it? - WillDeBeest
I'm broadly in agreement with Pat here. I have CC and use it, but not very often as I do most of my driving on a congested motorway where maintaining separation is more important than maintaining speed.

I've written here before about my view that misuse of CC causes a lot of the poor overtaking behaviour and lane discipline we see. In brief, I'd say the same applies to CC as to other driver aids, such as satnav: if anyone outside the car can tell you're using it, you're using it wrong.
 Cruise Control. Love it or hate it? - Alastairw
I like CC. Like zero, I tweek the speed up and down using the column stalk.

That said, I don't get the chance to use it very often, so probably wouldn't miss it if it wasn't there. In fact I used it briefly this afternoon just to make sure it was still working.
 Cruise Control. Love it or hate it? - Fursty Ferret
Don't you basically do the same thing in the lorry, though? Foot flat to the boards on the limiter at 56? With the exception of the odd moron desperate to bomb along at 90+ in lane three, lorries are far worse for tailgating!
>>Foot flat to the boards on the limiter at 56?<<

Yes we do, the job is costed that way and it's what's expected on the motorway but I agree about CC causing a lot of tailgating problems with both lorries and cars.

It is a constant challenge to some people (both lorry and car drivers) to NOT Knock it down and just get closer and closer.

When I first had it I found myself very tempted to do that and together with the feeling of not being in full control when in traffic, I stopped using it.

Pat

>> with the feeling of not being in full control when in traffic, I stopped using
>> it.
>>
>> Pat

And there is the nub of your problem with CC. I agree it is a very strange feeling at first, but once you get past that initial feeling of "disconnection" you realise you are in control, its just in a different place. Your finger replaces throttle, and with much more precision, you learn to knock it off and on, and set various speeds with just as much ease and control as your right foot. And when you brake, its off - instantly. Its the same as your right foot - only elsewhere, and you can actually brake faster.

I can see where the thought that CC causes problems, and its true you can get drawn into bunching because the bloke in front cant keep a constant speed, which is why you need to learn to regulate in those circumstances. Its needs to be easy to use and control tho, and the VW one I found to be perfect in this respect.

I never used it in the rain, CC is never going to be able to provide the wide ranging throttle inputs you need to gather up your skirts.

So in summary Pat, you don't like it because you haven't given it a chance. Not got over that initial feeling of loss of control.
 Cruise Control. Love it or hate it? - CGNorwich
Don't know about the root of all evil but never worked out exactly what problem cruise control is there to solve.

Never had a problem maintaining a constant speed and don't find it a problem keeping my foot on the accelerator. CC is the accessory I would gladly dispense with. Contrary to popular opinion using CC is less fuel efficient if that is your concern. Would happily swap it for steering column radio controls on my Octavia

Right foot on the accelerator and both hands on the wheel for me
>>Contrary to popular opinion using CC is less fuel efficient if that is your concern.<<

SAFED and all other fuel efficient prgrammes will disagree CG, as will Mr pda.

He uses CC at every opportunity as SAFED have taught him to and collect a full fuel bonus every month, in fact for the last two months he has been top of 96 drivers.

That's why he uses it so often in the Mondeo...and irks me:)

Pat
 Cruise Control. Love it or hate it? - R.P.
That's why he uses it so often in the Mondeo...and irks me:)

Swap his sarnies for some salad - that'll learn him ! :-)
 Cruise Control. Love it or hate it? - nyx2k
i like cc and use it often. it used to me on auto cars tears ago but now its available on manual box as well
The most efficient way to drive economy wise is to maintain a constant engine speed. This will effectively cause you to speed up going down hill and slow down going up. Irritating to other road users perhaps but economical.

CC maintain a constant road speed and thus will cause the revs to rise going up hill. You will burn more fuel. Mr pda is wrong.
 Cruise Control. Love it or hate it? - Manatee
>> CC maintain a constant road speed and thus will cause the revs to rise going
>> up hill. You will burn more fuel. Mr pda is wrong.
>>

Your clutch is slipping!

Constant road speed = constant rpm, unless you change gear.

I do find I can beat CC for economy though - just lifting that bit sooner at a crest, anticipating the need to build speed a bit sooner, all helps. Of course you can do that by using CC less passively too.
Last edited by: Manatee on Thu 1 Dec 11 at 20:02
Yes you are right but maintaining a constant road speed will use more fuel going up hill.
>> The most efficient way to drive economy wise is to maintain a constant engine speed.
>> This will effectively cause you to speed up going down hill and slow down going
>> up. Irritating to other road users perhaps but economical.
>>
>> CC maintain a constant road speed and thus will cause the revs to rise going
>> up hill. You will burn more fuel. Mr pda is wrong.
>>

Eh? constant engine speed, constant road speed = same thing.

The engine speed does not change relative to the road speed just because you are going up or down a hill, for it to change you need to change gear, manual or auto.

(EDIT: Manatee got there before me.)

However it is most economical not to maintain a constant road speed, it is best to leat the speed bleed of a little up hill and make up for it down hill before dropping back to the same average, it is true that cruise control does not allow this, nevertheless it proves more economaical than the constant throttle movements caused by most right feet.
Last edited by: Cheddar on Thu 1 Dec 11 at 20:03
>>Mr pda is wrong. <<

Despite firm evidence to the contrary, I'm sure he'll bow to your superior knowledge CG :)

Pat
 Cruise Control. Love it or hate it? - corax
>> Don't know about the root of all evil but never worked out exactly what problem
>> cruise control is there to solve.

The only thing I can think of is that it's useful if your accelerator isn't comfortable to use for a long period, maybe a funny angle in relation to your seat which makes your right ankle ache. Makes more sense in a large continent like America.

I used to have fun with it on my Rover SD1 V8 auto with some mates - stick it on and then feet on the dashboard, then press resume when set for 70mph on a county lane, still with feet on dashboard. Not so many cars about then, especially at 1am.

Cue wagging fingers :)
Last edited by: corax on Thu 1 Dec 11 at 18:48
I'm a fan. It's not obligatory to use it stupidly or slavishly, refusing to speed up, slow down or unlatch it.

It's just another way of operating the go function as far as I'm concerned. Speed limits are so unnatural in many places - it's safer to set the speed and keep eyes on the road than be watching the speedo. Speed can be nudged up and down constantly to maintain a safe distance, and the brake can be covered without losing speed if required. After a while it becomes as natural and unconscious as using the pedal.

I would agree that people who set it and refuse to vary or delay adjusting speed for overtaking or avoiding tailgating are a menace, who should be Clarksoned.
 Cruise Control. Love it or hate it? - Bromptonaut
The problem it's meant to solve is an American one - vast distances on straight uncongested roads and the 55mph speed limit in the seventies.

Never had it and never missed it.
 Cruise Control. Love it or hate it? - Videodoctor
If you have the new Mondeo,Pat,then the cruise control is extremely complicated to engage anyway.There are 6 buttons on the steering wheel all for the cruise control.You have to press various buttons on both sides of the wheel to engage.

Even though i hated my previous Vectra at least the cruise was a doodle to use unlike the Mondeo's.
 Cruise Control. Love it or hate it? - Dog
I've never really fancied C/C TBH, and out of the 40 or so cars I've owned, only one had it fitted,

It was a Toyota Supra, and it never worked properly anyway.
 Cruise Control. Love it or hate it? - Dave_
I've got it on my Mondeo, and use it a lot at weekends when i travel up and down the M1. Not so much in the week when commuting. I very rarely shuffle the speed up or down, I just pick a speed and cruise at it; I press Cancel if I need to lose some speed to find an overtaking gap, and press Resume to, well, resume. I try not to use the brakes at all, it's a little personal challenge to drive in ebbing and flowing traffic on the cruise alone. I'm reluctant to use it on soaking wet roads though, as the car has a very torquey engine and no traction control.

I've also used it at work in an Iveco Cargo and a Mercedes Atego (limited to 56mph) and new Sprinter and Citroen Relay vans with no speed limiters. I drive them all in the same way and never tailgate anybody - I like my safety space.

The Mk3 Mondeo's buttons are by your thumbs Pat, On and Off on the left; Resume/Cancel, Set/+ and Set/- on the right. The lowest buttons on both sides don't have raised dimples on them, so you can find which button to press by feel in the dark - they're not illuminated. The top right button is only marked "Res" but functions as a "Cancel" toggle as well.

I can understand your reluctance to use it on the car, there aren't many traffic-free constant-speed roads in your neck of the woods. I'm booked on a run over there next Thursday morning actually, Ely, Kings Lynn and March in that order.

EDIT: Drove a new Jag XF 30 miles the other day - it had adaptive CC. Very, very impressive - it followed the car in front even on the twisty bits and braked down to 10mph behind them approaching a roundabout, before it flashed up a warning to make me take over the pedals.
Last edited by: Dave_TDCi on Thu 1 Dec 11 at 20:31
 Cruise Control. Love it or hate it? - Armel Coussine
I've got it too. It's only usable on empty roads. Quite relaxing on French A roads.

You can always tell when people are using it because they back off absurdly when going downhill instead of doing the sensible, efficient thing which is to use the momentum gained downhill to help you up the inevitable upgrade that follows. That's what happens with a dead-steady throttle foot.

The problem with cc is that after mimsing down the grade it boots it up the next one. In my car the throttle pedal suddenly withdraws from under my foot to tell me what's happening. That's what makes it less economical than a sympathetic foot. However I have never done a careful measurement to see if I can beat it for fuel economy. I would doubt it because my instincts are press-on, and I find it hard not to press the loud pedal when it seems necessary, or even desirable. Alas, many others don't.

Modern engine management probably reduces this, but in the days of carburettors a restless throttle foot was terribly thirsty. Every time you opened the throttle even a bit, raw petrol was squirted down the carb venturis to kick the jalopy forward. A tremulous foot could use more fuel than keeping it well down, but relatively still.
...I just pick a speed and cruise at it; I press Cancel if I need to lose some speed to find an overtaking gap, and press Resume to, well, resume. I try not to use the brakes at all...

Bravo, Dave! That's the way to do it. The Volvo buttons help with the simple approach: +, -, 0 (Cancel) and Resume, all illuminated, differently textured and under the left thumb. There's also a big, unmissable master on-off switch. I believe Vauxhall used to put a CC in the Vectra that, once switched on, could be cancelled but not switched off, so you were only ever a brush of the Resume button away from potential disaster. Nice.

The adaptive CC ideas is one of those that look brilliant on the surface but raise awkward questions about driver responsibility. Dave, of course, was paying attention to see what the system would do if left to itself, but the idea of drivers using it to maintain their separation in heavy traffic gives me the willies; I can hear it now: "It can't have been my fault - I have adaptive cruise control," just as we did in the 90s when ABS was becoming the norm.
 Cruise Control. Love it or hate it? - Dave_
The Citroen Relay has no Cancel button, just a stalk which goes up for +, down for - and has a Resume button on the end.

I partially dip the clutch to cancel cruise without showing any brake lights, which is the most important thing.

The Jag's active cruise was as much of a revelation as my Peugeot 406's automatic wipers were 8 years ago - a clever idea which I expected not to work, but which in fact worked exactly as you'd want it to.
Last edited by: Dave_TDCi on Thu 1 Dec 11 at 21:03
>> The Jag's active cruise was as much of a revelation as my Peugeot 406's automatic
>> wipers were 8 years ago - a clever idea which I expected not to work,>>

The 123d's CC enables 1mph increments to be set by a digital display that appears for a few seconds when you either set the CC or change the set speed.

I was never fussed by auto lights or auto wipers though both in our 1 ers work very well. the 123d also has a built in DRL setting that can be turned off if required.

Last edited by: Cheddar on Thu 1 Dec 11 at 21:24
 Cruise Control. Love it or hate it? - rtj70
I specified (optional) CC on my Golf GTi in 1999 and the Passat Sport that replaced it in 2000. Used it a lot and it was intuitive and could/would speed up/slow down using it. Very good.

Mondeo that replaced the Passat had CC as standard. Never liked how the buttons that controlled it were layer out... Rarely used it. Next car, a Mazda6, had it as standard. Buttons on wheel but better designed than the Ford one so I used it a bit.

Current Passat CC has it as standard. I had assumed the same control as on the previous VWs. But it's a separate stalk and it works really well and I've used it a lot in the 2000ish miles I've done since I have got it...

... Pull stalk forward and it is on and a small display in the MFD replaces miles traveled. Press a button to set speed. But if you full the stalk forward the speed increments by 1mph (and you see the set speed in the MFD). Press the button on the end of the stalk and speed decrements 1mph. But (and the reason for the stalk) is push up like an indicator and it jumps 5mph (to nearest 5mph) and down decrements 5mph. Very good.

And I do use it in roadworks and vary speed as appropriate etc. But if I was overtaking/accelerating when CC is on, I just floor it. And the heavy car really goes well.

So thumbs up for CC from me.... but I drive a CC with CC.

I thought the Mondeo CC button layout was ideal ...

I never liked it at all. The VWs before it had a simple ergonomic slider plus button that you could use on the indicator stalk. Mazda6 buttons were on the wheel but stood slightly proud so you could feel which was which.

I guess I never liked the Ford system. And didn't use it enough because I didn't like it. Catch 22. If I used it I'd have to look at the wheel to turn it on etc. On the VW and Mazda's I could speed up/slow down without really thinking.

I suppose it helped/helps on these other cars that I also prefer a three spoke steering wheel. The location of the buttons on the Mondeo was not good. This is only my opinion.

And yes I did realise there were markings on each button so you could feel which was which.
 Cruise Control. Love it or hate it? - Ted

Just got this by email from a friend. I make no claims or comment as I don't have CC.
Interesting, though.

A 36 year old female had an accident several weeks ago and totaled her car. A resident of Kinburn , Ontario was traveling between Kinburn & Ottawa. It was raining, though not excessively, when her car suddenly began to hydro-plane and literally flew through the air.. She was not seriously injured but very stunned at the sudden occurrence!

When she explained to the OPP Officer what had happened he told her something that every driver should know - NEVER DRIVE IN THE RAIN WITH YOUR CRUISE CONTROL ON . She thought she was being cautious by setting the cruise control and maintaining a safe consistent speed in the rain. But the Officer told her that if the cruise control is on when your car begins to hydro-plane and your tires lose contact with the road, your car will accelerate to a higher rate of speed making you take off like an airplane. She told the OPP Officer that was exactly what had occurred.

The Officer said this warning should be listed, on the driver's seat
sun-visor - NEVER USE THE CRUISE CONTROL WHEN
THE ROAD IS WET OR ICY, along with the airbag warning. We tell our teenagers to set the cruise control and drive a safe speed - but we don't tell them to use the cruise control only when the road is dry.

The only person the accident victim found, who knew this (besides the officer), was a man who had a similar accident, totalled his car and sustained severe injuries.

NOTE: Some vehicles (like the Toyota Sienna Limited XLE) will not allow you to set the cruise control when the windshield wipers are on.l
Ted

A windup email. Look here for example:

www.snopes.com/autos/techno/wetroad.asp
In the wet, my car like many will use the rain sensor to partially apply brakes to dry the disks. Nothing to do with cruise control but an example of cars trying to keep us safe.
"But the Officer told her that if the cruise control is on when your car begins to hydro-plane and your tires lose contact with the road, your car will accelerate to a higher rate of speed making you take off like an airplane"

Err It cant. If you loose traction due to hydroplanning, the engine has got noway to put power to the road, let alone accelerate.| The story is a load of horlicks,.

Most CC's kick off when the revs rise and there is no rise in road speed as do most when the stability control kicks in.

As i said up the thread, its wise to kick it off in the rain, but only because you may have a need to take control of throttle yourself. CC has no way of knowing you might suddenly want to grab a bootfull of throttle to bring it all under control.
Or it might have been in Texas -

www.snopes.com/autos/techno/wetroad.asp

Nevertheless it seems a reasonable precaution not to use CC in heavy rain or where there is potentially standing water.
 Cruise Control. Love it or hate it? - henry k
>> Nevertheless it seems a reasonable precaution not to use CC in heavy rain or where
>> there is potentially standing water.
>>
IIRC from a previous visit to the topic of CC a poster said it was illegal to use CC in the rain in some european countries.
 Cruise Control. Love it or hate it? - henry k
I thought the Mondeo CC button layout was ideal ...
>>
I have used the Ford CC on two cars and I like the controls.

My 98 Mondeo II auto which I find is easy and I too tap the speed up and down.
I sometimes flick the O/D button to kill 4th gear if a steep bit is coming to save it struggling.
What I do not like is the loud clicking of the buttons. SWMBO is usually my only passenger but with others in the car I do comment to them what I am doing less they think I am a twitcher of buttons.

Sons V reg Focus 2.0L Ghia manual.
Buttons are a lot quieter but of course on arriving at a steep hill it will not change down soooo a bit of a pain in that respect.

I am surprised that operating the handbrake does not switch off the CC.
As I have mentioned in the past if the driver rapidly becomes unwell or worse, the front seat passenger needs to either switch the cc off or find neutral else ..........!!!!!!
As one gets older it is a tad more concerning.

Cruise Control. Love it or hate it? - franfran
I have cruise control in my Astra. It took a bit of getting used to, as I had never driven a car with it before. I don't use it that much though. I'll use it on a motorway if the traffic is flowing freely, and I use it on ordinary roads, but usually only where there are speed cameras. When I need to disengage it I just put my foot on the clutch pedal and bring it back up again - it's easier that pushing the button on the indicator stalk and braking doesn't always seem to turn it off and isn't always appropriate anyway.
>> When I need to disengage it I just put my foot on the clutch pedal and bring it back up again
I would think touching the breaks at the point you are going to start slowing makes more sense. Although with the Mondeo I dipped the clutch once when on cruise control.... and engine revs went up.... lost trust in it a bit. Remembering that also meant I didn't use it much. So never got used to the buttons.

>> easier that pushing the button on the indicator stalk and braking doesn't always seem to turn it off

Get it checked. It should.
 Cruise Control. Love it or hate it? - franfran
>>I would think touching the breaks at the point you are going to start slowing makes more sense. Although with the Mondeo I dipped the clutch once when on cruise control.... and engine revs went up.... lost trust in it a bit. Remembering that also meant I didn't use it much. So never got used to the buttons.

Depends on how much I have to slow down. If I have to drop speed by only 5 to 10 km/h and I brake gently (which I usually do) it doesn't always switch off. If I put my foot on the clutch I know it's going to switch off. I can't recall the engine ever revving up when I do this - maybe it's a Ford thing....

>>Get it checked. It should.

It's not the car - it's me - when I use the button on the indicator stalk I usually end up putting the indicators on.
>> Although with the Mondeo I dipped the clutch once when on cruise
>> control.... and engine revs went up.... lost trust in it a bit. Remembering that also
>> meant I didn't use it much. So never got used to the buttons.>>

All manuals with CC have a clutch position sensor, that can be out of adjustment though if so the revs would only rise minimally for an instant. The difference between the clutch dissengaging and the switch being triggered.

The Mondeo system was sooo easy and sooo seemless too as it took up drive from you right foot.

Last edited by: Cheddar on Fri 2 Dec 11 at 07:25
 Cruise Control. Love it or hate it? - Londoner
I had CC on the BMW. It was a doddle to operate. I asked for advice on the forum on how to use it and people were kind & helpful, but I still never got much use out of it. I had a play with it, but found that I needed to constantly fiddle with the controls in the congested South East where I live (Ed. you call this living?).

The Audi doesn't have CC (it wasn't specced in the build), but it has two settable speed limit warnings which are useful for going through roadworks etc. It won't stop you exceeding the set speed(s), like a speed limiter will do (merely warn you), so in an emergency you still have flexibility.
When I got the Golf GTI in 1999 I asked the dealer how to operate it. They said they didn't know because they'd not seen a car with it before! I soon had it figured.

My concern is my next car... the options I like (such as heated and climate seats) limit options!
 Cruise Control. Love it or hate it? - Stuartli
I treat cruise control with pretty much the same contempt as that of a manual gearbox against the boredom of an automatic...:-)

But I can appreciate that in certain circumstances, just as with an automatic in a big city, it can make life that much easier.
 Cruise Control. Love it or hate it? - -
About the only time i use it is when i have a truck driving assessment, the trainer type bods are obsessed with it so you gain approving nods by using the thing.

I would use it if i owned something like a big Lexus with radar controlled cruise so maintains speed and distance for you, i wonder if they brake for you too...hmm bit worrying that when the car drives itself.
>> hmm bit worrying that when the car drives itself.
>>
Like this famous Volvo automatic braking test.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNi17YLnZpg

Epic fail!
 Cruise Control. Love it or hate it? - Bagpuss
>> I would use it if i owned something like a big Lexus with radar controlled
>> cruise so maintains speed and distance for you, i wonder if they brake for you
>> too...hmm bit worrying that when the car drives itself.

Indeed they do brake for you - all the way to a standstill. Then, when the traffic starts moving again, the cruise control also accelerates the car back up to speed.

There is even a symbol of a car in the instrument cluster which lights up when the radar has locked onto the car in front. Always reminds me of the way the weapons guidance system in Tom Cruise's F 14 in Top Gun lights up when he locked onto the MiG 28 shortly before releasing the missile.
 Cruise Control. Love it or hate it? - Crankcase
Adaptive CC is making it's way "down" the chain now. Currently an option on smaller Lexuses, also now on a Prius, on Mondeos, Honda Accords, allegedly on all Civics by 2012, and so forth.

Costly but good stuff.

As to at least normal CC, wouldn't be without it. A must for me.

Cruise Control. Love it or hate it? - Mike Hannon
>>As to at least normal CC, wouldn't be without it.<<
Likewise. Of course I am lucky enough to drive often on nearly empty roads. It will be even more useful if France fulfils its threat to remove advance warning signs for speed cameras. (Not that I am a compulsive speeder, you understand, but it's easy to slip a couple of Ks over the limit on a long, slow stretch).
In my long experience of cruise control on Hondas, it cancels if you as much as breathe on the brake pedal. After conducting an experiment, I know it cancels without flashing the brake lights.

Incidentally, I think it may have been me who saw signs in Belgium advising against the use of CC in wet weather.
 Cruise Control. Love it or hate it? - -
>> Indeed they do brake for you - all the way to a standstill. Then, when
>> the traffic starts moving again, the cruise control also accelerates the car back up to
>> speed.

Does the car vary it's following distance depending on speed too...say 30 ft away at 30mph and 100ft away at 80, and would it react to another car pulling in front of you, cutting you up as it were?

I could live with it.

Not sure i'd want a Volvo with the system following Londoners link though..;)
 Cruise Control. Love it or hate it? - TeeCee
>Vauxhall used to put a CC in the Vectra that, once switched on, could be cancelled but not switched off, so you were only ever a brush of the Resume button away from potential disaster. Nice.

Actually I really like the old GM system like that. Buttons on end of stalk and need a careful press, a "brush" won't do it, so your point is sheer cobblers. Also stabbing "cancel" twice in succession clears the resume memory, so it won't do anything 'til you hit "set" anyway. RTFM!

CC is a godsend on the continent where motorways tend to be rather quieter. I don't use it much in Britain though. I find the most amusing bit is where some eejit overtakes and then, a few Kms further on, I sail past them. They promptly speed up and overtake again and the process repeats. I see 'em getting all upset, but I'm the one doing *exactly* the same speed all the time.

Incidently, I reckon using the CC in favour of fully manual is worth anything up to 5mpg on a long run, dependant on the vehicle.....
 Cruise Control. Love it or hate it? - andyfr
I very rarely use it. Sometimes where there are long stretches of road works with average speed cameras and the traffic is light I will.

>> Incidently, I reckon using the CC in favour of fully manual is worth anything up
>> to 5mpg on a long run, dependant on the vehicle.....

I find it thirstier, by about 5mpg. Only a right foot will do if you want to eke out MPG.
 Cruise Control. Love it or hate it? - Westpig
I use CC all the time. Wouldn't be without it.

When a switch failed and I didn't have the use of it from Scotland to Devon I missed it, because i've got used to being able to move my right leg around a bit and not keep it in the same position...

.......i.e. near the floor.....;-)
Touchy, TC! And please don't quote out of context: I wrote 'I believe...' because that's what I'd read in launch reviews of the Vectra. (Remember that ridiculous courtroom campaign?) No occasion to RTFM for me because I didn't BTFC.
}:---P
 Cruise Control. Love it or hate it? - Old Navy
I think the people who won't or can't use CC don't realise that you have to leave you brain engaged while using CC.
I don't have a problem with CC if people stay alert - you still need to anticipate what is happening and be ready to turn it off, brake, or whatever.

But two options on my car I didn't go for. Automatic Distance Control (so radar controlled cruise control) and lane keep assist (help keep you in lane). Both of these worry me as they become more common. If you don't have to work about slowing down for the traffic and can be a little lazy steering...
 Cruise Control. Love it or hate it? - VxFan
>> I believe Vauxhall used to put a CC in the Vectra that, once switched on, could be cancelled but not switched off, so you were only ever a brush of the Resume button away from potential disaster. Nice.

They still do (unless the iginition has been switched off, then the CC can't be used again until the brake pedal has been pressed).

Pressing the resume button is no different to pressing the throttle pedal. If you accidentally press it, then either press the cancel again or tap the brake pedal.

I really don't see how a potential disaster can occur?

ps, you do have to physically press it rather than brush it.
Last edited by: VxFan on Fri 2 Dec 11 at 12:20
 Cruise Control. Love it or hate it? - BobbyG
My Altea is the first car I have had with CC and I use it regularly, mostly to ensure I keep within a speed limit.

However on long drives, especially down the M74, I usually set it at GPS 76/77 and keep it that way. Can take feet off pedals etc and makes journey much more relaxed, don't need to keep put for cameras on overbridges etc.

For my next car I am thinking of possible downsizing but of the variants I have looked at, CC is not available and I would definitely want it.

On the other side of this, my dad will be 80 next month, still driving daily in his Picasso and he uses CC all the time. Even in town, he will drive away from traffic lights, once up to speed, the CC gets flicked on until the next set of lights. Was worse when he had his Peugeot 806 as to put the CC on there was a lever at the side (I think) that if you had to do a double flick-up to set the CC. So he was constantly flicking this switch on and off. Very infuriating!
 Cruise Control. Love it or hate it? - Snakey
I've had it on a few cars and neither love nor hate it. Its occasionally useful in the endless 50mph motorway roadworks so I can stretch my leg or climb into the back seat for a snooze ;-)

The CC on my vectra actually works better than the one I had on my jag, passat and focus - it seems to maintain the speed you select pretty consistently. I found the jag one would vary quite a bit.
 Cruise Control. Love it or hate it? - Redviper
>> The CC on my vectra actually works better than the one I had on my
>> jag, passat and focus - it seems to maintain the speed you select pretty consistently.
>> I found the jag one would vary quite a bit.
>>

The CC on my Vectra, works brilliantly, and unless you go down a Very steep hill, it does not move off the set speed at all
I have driven a Mondeo, Brava/o* and C4 with cruise and I find the GM system the best to use, has the previous poster who said it was dangerous by “brushing” the button actually used the GM system to justify that comment?

The system is not “armed” until the brake pedal has been pressed for the 1st time on your journey, then you simply get to the speed you want and press the set button on the end of the stalk – the set and the resume button then turn into +/- respectively.
To stop, press the “Off” button behind the stalk or press the clutch or brake pedal

You cannot “brush” the resume function you have to physically press it, and it is streets ahead over the god awful Fiat Brava/o *Where buy you had to fiddle about with the turn knob on the stalk to get it to activate again – that was dangerous!!!!
Last edited by: Redviper on Fri 2 Dec 11 at 13:22
>> I found the jag one would vary quite a bit.
>>

I've found our X Type will irritatingly 'resume' to a 3mph or so slower speed after you've temporarily cancelled cruise, before gradually going back to the required speed, which is irritating after you've just overtaken someone or someone has been following you at a constant speed and you've both had to temporarily slow, they think you've slowed down a bit.

My S Type however, is right on the pin every time and does not do it.

So i've presumed there's a cheaper set up in the X...(like the air con).
Hang on a minute, Westpig. You've got two Jags?
You're not John Prescott in disguise are you? ;-)
>> You're not John Prescott in disguise are you? ;-)
>>

I am getting a tad portly...but i'm not his size....yet.
...but i'm not his size....yet...

Bigger pension, though. :)

>>
>> pension. :)
>>
Blimey, there's some wit on here today.
Can't manage proper police station humour, but I do try.

Cruise Control. Love it or hate it? - VxFan
>> Hang on a minute, Westpig. You've got two Jags?
>> You're not John Prescott in disguise are you? ;-)

Stop egging him on.
The Yokes on him.
 Cruise Control. Love it or hate it? - Mike H
Just putting my two pennorth in to add another positive "I like" vote. I can't add much to what's been said, except to nod in agreement with those that have stated the (to me) obvious point that it should be used appropriately and with common sense. I drive a lot on German autobahns, and when cruising at 90+mph I never use it, you always need to have that subtle throttle control you don't get on cruise.
 Cruise Control. Love it or hate it? - idle_chatterer
Another vote for cruise control, it's a feature that I particularly look for in a car - not that I can't keep a constant speed without it of course.
Latest Forum Posts