Motoring Discussion > Designated lane useage Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Hard Cheese Replies: 11

Designated lane useage - Hard Cheese
On the train so forgive spellin, drivin to the station this am along the A370 a bus decided to use the single occupancy lane at 35 ish mph. Then when we reached the bus lane it stayed in the outer lane still at 35 ish mph. Reckon that as if is an offence to use the 2+ lane when alone in a car, and also an offence to use a bus lane, it should also be an offence to use the single occupancy lane with 53 people on board and an offence not to use a bus lane if you are a bl@@ding bus.

That's got that off my chest.
 Designated lane useage - Dave_
Single occupancy lane?

I've never heard of one of those before. The norm is a 2+ lane, which moves the same number of people using less vehicles. I can't see a council encouraging underoccupied vehicle use.

I followed a bus into Coventry this morning which moved out of the bus lane into the normal lane to go through the green traffic light, rather than stop at the end of the bus lane and wait for the signals to change in its favour. Nothing wrong with that IMO.

EDIT: Having looked here: 2carshare.liftshare.com/whatare2pluslanes.asp I think that although there's a 2+ lane on the A370 it's not imperative that all multi-occupancy vehicles must use it.
Last edited by: Dave_TDCi on Fri 2 Dec 11 at 17:52

Clearly by single occupancy lane I mean the lane that one is obliged to use when on one's own in the car. Normally it makes little difference because either there is little traffic on that section (even in the rush hour) or both lanes move at the same speed though for a bus carrying 50 odd people to travel at 35 ish in a 70 limit (for cars) in the "single occupancy lane" causing a tail back of vehicles who, theoretically at least cannot over take it is ridiculous.

As for the principal of a 2+ lane, it is completely undemocratic. person A may be required to travel at all times of day and/or perhaps vist customers on the way home so have no hope of finding a share. Why should they have been penalised relative to person B a 9 to 5er who just happens to have another (to complete the picture, person C) 9 to 5er living nearby and also working nearby.

Grrrrrr
 Designated lane useage - Iffy
Person A, B and C?

Motoring sounds very complicated down there.

We still regard bus lanes as an innovation.

Designated lane useage - R.P.
Might be an opening for a bored pensioner - make up the numbers for a small fee and a mug of cocoa.
 Designated lane useage - diddy1234
Thats why you need an inflatable passenger

Perhaps a corpse, wouldn't want paying at all and could hang around all day without complaining ... sorry if that is too Clarksonesque ...

Some have though of a Manaquin ...

>> make up the numbers for a small fee and a mug of cocoa

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slugging
Person A might get there a little quicker if person C's car isn't in the queue in front of them :)
>> Person A might get there a little quicker if person C's car isn't in the
>> queue in front of them :)
>>

Both lanes go into one before opening up into two agan as a bus lane and normal lane ...
Having just looked at it on Street View, it's in the wrong place. The 2+ lane on the A47 past Fort Dunlop is on the left, which makes much more sense. And HGVs are permitted in it :)
Last edited by: Dave_TDCi on Fri 2 Dec 11 at 18:48

>> Having just looked at it on Street View, it's in the wrong place. The 2+
>> lane on the A47 past Fort Dunlop is on the left, which makes much more
>> sense. >>

Hey great, next time I go to Bristol I will go that way ;-)
Latest Forum Posts