Motoring Discussion > BMW - & toyota to cooperate on batteries & diesels Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Falkirk Bairn Replies: 16

BMW - & toyota to cooperate on batteries & diesels - Falkirk Bairn
Toyota are to help BMW with battery technology and BMW are to supply Toyota with diesel engines for the Euro market.

Does this mean that more Toyota drivers will hog the outside lane of the motorway / cut you up on the roundabout etc?

or

Do you have to have the badge to be a full member of the exclusive club of being exempt from the rules of the road that us mortals obey?
 BMW - & toyota to cooperate on batteries & diesels - mikeyb
To add some balance....

Does this mean that BMW drivers will now become eco warriors and sit at 50MPH on ths inside lane :-)
 BMW - & toyota to cooperate on batteries & diesels - R.P.
I've been to buy a flat cap in anticipation....
 BMW - & toyota to cooperate on batteries & diesels - Iffy
I don't think BMW owners will welcome the association.

And I don't suppose Toyota owners will be delighted about it, either.

BMW - & toyota to cooperate on batteries & diesels - mikeyb
BMW already associate with PSA on petrol engines - also not something that BMW snobs would appreciate!
 BMW - & toyota to cooperate on batteries & diesels - zippy
At the moment my 3 series diesel returns 57mpg which isn't too bad.

It does have a problem which can't be cured though, despite dealers looking at it and a "software upgrade". The engine keeps pulling even though my foot is off the throttle and the instant MPG needle is at maximum.

I think it could become dangerous as unless you use the clutch whilst slowing down, the car still appears to move forward under power.

If they manage to sort this out with new engines then it will be a good thing.
 BMW - & toyota to cooperate on batteries & diesels - Zero
>> At the moment my 3 series diesel returns 57mpg which isn't too bad.
>>
>> It does have a problem which can't be cured though, despite dealers looking at it
>> and a "software upgrade". The engine keeps pulling even though my foot is off the
>> throttle and the instant MPG needle is at maximum.
>>
>> I think it could become dangerous as unless you use the clutch whilst slowing down,
>> the car still appears to move forward under power.
>>
>> If they manage to sort this out with new engines then it will be a
>> good thing.

Question zippy, is this your first Diesel?
>>Question zippy, is this your first Diesel?

First for about 15 years!
Ah right, well as Brompy indicated, this tends to be a feature of modern common rail, turbo blown diesels. There is a delay after lifting off, and the car does feel as tho it is "driving on". Its there to prevent stalling, juddering and to provide less turbo lag. Its something you soon get used and naturally adjust your driving style (earlier lift off for example, appropriate gear changing (it happens if you are in a high gear and low revs when slowing down) ) to match.
>>>Ah right, well as Brompy indicated, this tends to be a feature of modern common rail, turbo blown diesels.

Thanks Zero, have been trying to adjust but "old dogs new tricks" ;-)
 BMW - & toyota to cooperate on batteries & diesels - -
Makes sense for makers to cooperate, each is acknowledged as being well advanced in the two fields mentioned.

Its not the batteries BMW is after, its the hybrid bits powered by the battery thats of interest.

One wonders what a small BMW developed diesel engine, coupled with Toyota hybrid technology could achieve. I guess thats what both parties are banking on as well.
 BMW - & toyota to cooperate on batteries & diesels - Injection Doc
Imagine a BMW with a stuck open wide throttle ! mind you some appear to be driven like that on the motorway anyway LOL
 BMW - & toyota to cooperate on batteries & diesels - Bromptonaut
>> It does have a problem which can't be cured though, despite dealers looking at it
>> and a "software upgrade". The engine keeps pulling even though my foot is off the
>> throttle and the instant MPG needle is at maximum.

All four diesel cars I've owned will, feet off everything, keep pulling at least in first or second gear. I'd rather that than the judder, judder stall of a petrol engine (though modern ones may behave differently - my last petrol had a carburretor).
which is why I asked Zippy if this is his first Diesel.
Don't get me wrong folks, the car is the most competent and easy to drive car that I have ever had, not the most exciting though.
 BMW - & toyota to cooperate on batteries & diesels - Londoner
This is a good move for both parties, but more for BMW. Toyota get much improved diesel engines for the European market especially, and BMW get access to some of the best hybrid technology in the business.

Don't forget that BMW have a bit of catching up to do. They wasted a lot of time, money and effort in being a cheerleader for Hydrogen power. Regardless of the rights and wrongs of that, it has left them behind the front-runners. That is a position they are not used to and will not tolerate for long.

I wonder if there is a clause in the agreement that says that Toyota cars with BMW engines in them also have to have their indicators disabled. ;-)
Latest Forum Posts