Motoring Discussion > Ferrari - World's most expensive pile-up?
Thread Author: Dave_ Replies: 9

Ferrari - World's most expensive pile-up? - Dave_
Several cars have collided on a Japanese highway, including eight Ferraris:

tgr.ph/uCB41P
 Ferrari - World's most expensive pile-up? - rtj70
To quote the paper:

"The total damage bill is expected to hit several million pounds. A new Ferrari 355 retails for several hundred thousand pounds."

So where does one get a new Ferrari 355? I assume they meant to refer to the cost when new? But it was never several hundred thousand when new either. I was last made in 1999? I've even driven an F360 which was past it's best this year.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Sun 4 Dec 11 at 23:24
 Ferrari - World's most expensive pile-up? - Armel Coussine
A lot of faces must be as red as the cars. They will look hideous and ogre-like to the Japanese. Stiff sentences are almost inevitable.
 Ferrari - World's most expensive pile-up? - rtj70
Isn't there an age limit to cars you can usually use in Japan? Hence exports? Or is it different for Ferrari's and similar super cars?
 Ferrari - World's most expensive pile-up? - PeterS
AFAIK there's no age limit, but their equivalent of the MOT (shaken??) is more stringent and expensive - as much as a few thousand punds I think. Therefore it's often not cost effective to keep smaller/cheaper/older cars going, though I guess if you can afford a Frerrari you can afford the running costs - although perhaps not the insurance renewal premium now ;-)
 Ferrari - World's most expensive pile-up? - TeeCee
Hmm, reminds of when Top Gear mag did their "million pound car test" a few years ago (a million's *worth* of cars of course).
The group photo had to be photoshopped, as a condition of the insurance was that they never put them all in the same place at the same time.

If there's a favoured insurance company of the Japanese Ferrari Owner's club, dump their stock now....
 Ferrari - World's most expensive pile-up? - Redviper
There was a comment on one website I looked at someone was complaining that there is no need for speed of these cars

However I doubt they where speeding as it was a enthusiast club I would hazard a guess that they were being driven carefully , and there is also mention of a Merc going the wrong way - hence the probable cause of the collusion
 Ferrari - World's most expensive pile-up? - Zero

>> However I doubt they where speeding as it was a enthusiast club I would hazard
>> a guess that they were being driven carefully ,

the evidence of the wreckage would suggest otherwise. Enthusiasts clubs do not drive their fast cars slowly!

Ferrari - World's most expensive pile-up? - henry k
>> the evidence of the wreckage would suggest otherwise. Enthusiasts clubs do not drive their fast cars slowly!
>>
A little more evidence ???

An unnamed witness told the TBS broadcaster that the convoy appeared to be travelling at between 85 and 100mph. "One of them spun and they all ended up in this great mess." The speed limit on that section of the motorway is 50mph.

The automobile enthusiasts, aged between 37 and 60, were condemned by Japanese police. "It was a gathering of narcissists," Mitsuyoshi Isejima of the Yamaguchi prefecture expressway traffic unit told Bloomberg.
 Ferrari - World's most expensive pile-up? - Armel Coussine
>> "It was a gathering of narcissists,"

... yes, scarlet-faced, bulging-eyed, hairy, sweaty, reeking narcissists of a type scorned even by the Yakuza.

Onanists I'm afraid. This isn't Schadenfreude. Naturally I sympathise with those who spend their money on fine horseflesh, snorting monsters and skittish thoroughbreds. I really do.

But imagine one of these rallies if you will. The social attitudes. The conversation. The idea of what is fun and of what is cool. It would pall before the first engine started.

Sorry it happened though. Some of the more sympathetic participants must be quite upset.
Last edited by: Armel Coussine on Mon 5 Dec 11 at 19:41
Latest Forum Posts