Motoring Discussion > Winter / All Season Tyres - Now in use! Miscellaneous
Thread Author: BobbyG Replies: 144

Winter / All Season Tyres - Now in use! - BobbyG
Kleber Quadraxers all season tyre
205/55/R16 fitted to Seat Altea XL (fronts only)

Fitted these to the Altea after reading reviews on here and I needed front tyres anyway as existing tyres were down to 3mm and not ideal for winter.

Had them fitted in November and have noticed absolutely no difference since ( I don't drive at the extremes of grip etc).

Woke up today to about 3-4 inches of snow with some nicer black ice underneath it, joined the commute which was going at an absolute crawl. Took a detour through the local housing schemes including one snow covered road with a steepish hill - a road that I wouldn't normally take in these conditions and it took it no problem.

On the normal commuting roads made very little difference, after all only travelling at 5mph behind the long line of vehicles in front.

As I had time on my hands I turned off into a snow covered street, one that had a steepish hill on a bend, the type that I would not normally have attempted, would expect, at the best, inside wheel spinning on the camber but did a perfect hill start and not a hint of wheelspin or traction control cutting in.

And that is why I bought these - not to be able to drive in feet deep of snow but to be able to make driving in normal snow less of a risk, being able to take off on hills, not to be worried if stuck in some snow at the side of the road.

More reviews to follow when weather permits......
And can I suggest we keep this thread for those who have bought winter / all seasons to give reviews and keep the debates on their purpose / usefulness to the other existing threads??
 Winter / All Season Tyres - Now in use! - Hard Cheese

Shouldn't they be fitted to front and rear, I thought that mixing was not recomended or could even be a insurance validity issue.

Winter / All Season Tyres - Now in use! - movilogo
>> Kleber Quadraxers all season tyre

I read good reviews about this one. They are not pricey yet good.

Where did you buy them from? And price?
My tyres' sizes are exactly same as yours!

PS: Is it a good price to fit better tyres at front only?

Winter / All Season Tyres - Now in use! - Boxsterboy
Yes, although we've had a mild winter so far I'm driving to Cologne at the week-end, so will be putting on my winter tyres this week - Coopers, made in the UK by Avon!
 Winter / All Season Tyres - Now in use! - ....
>> Yes, although we've had a mild winter so far I'm driving to Cologne at the
>> week-end, so will be putting on my winter tyres this week - Coopers, made in
>> the UK by Avon!
>>
You'll be needing the summer tyres then, it's still in double figures here temperature wise. We've only had two frosts since the start of October, the mercury hasn't gone to minus anything yet.

P.S. if you are coming over the border on the E314 from Belgium via the Netherlands into Germany stick to the posted signs. There are cameras mounted on the gantries in both directions now.
Last edited by: gmac on Mon 5 Dec 11 at 16:51
 Winter / All Season Tyres - Now in use! - Boxsterboy

>> You'll be needing the summer tyres then, it's still in double figures here temperature wise.
>> We've only had two frosts since the start of October, the mercury hasn't gone to
>> minus anything yet.
>>

Yes, I've just checked the forecast. You've got it mild too!
Movilogo, my front tyres were due to be replaced so The Kumhos or Bridgestones I usually put on are about £70ish and these Klebers were either £78 or £87, I can't remember exactly. So not a huge extra outlay. By getting all weathers as opposed to winter tyres I didn't need to worry about swapping tyres, spare wheels etc.

I go on the theory that front wheels power and steer the car so always have best tyres on front (contrary to some advice but thats for a different discussion). Rears still have about 4 or 5mm on them but once they are due for change, and depending how much life I get out the Klebers, then I might get them on back as well.

Bought them from a local tyre place, Auchinlea Tyres in Newhouse. Price includes fitting etc.
 Winter / All Season Tyres - Now in use! - Bigtee
Pirelli fourseasons on the front & Linglong m&s on the rear in the wet it's fine no snow as yet to play in bring it on...................:-)
 Winter / All Season Tyres - Now in use! - NortonES2
That theory would hold if the rear tyres had no place in steering. But they do. Howver, I am no expert, and certainly wouldn't rubbish the tyre makers advice without evidence. It would be nice if one of the experts on these matters could reiterate what has already been said, on the role of the rear end in keeping the vehicle stable!
 Winter / All Season Tyres - Now in use! - Dog
The Kleber Quadraxers are rated at 62% for progressiveness on this review ~

www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Kleber/Quadraxer.htm

What the heck is progressiveness?
 Winter / All Season Tyres - Now in use! - Iffy
...What the heck is progressiveness?...

At a guess, the manner in which they lose grip.

Winter / All Season Tyres - Now in use! - Dave
We had our first snow last night - wet british snow. They plowed the roads over night, and then the temperature dropped. Even with my new (to me) studded tyres, it was absolutely deadly this morning. Although the road to town only sees about 10 cars an hour, 2 had managed to find their way into the ditch before 10am. I feel sorry for the poor sods running unstudded 'Friction' tyres, as they call them here. My friend bought some and they had anything but friction on wet ice.
Progressiveness is at the rate it communicates to driver how the tyres are losing grip.

Ideally it should lose grip gradually so that driver can feel it and react accordingly. If it loses grip suddenly then driver won't get enough time to rectify.

Last edited by: movilogo on Mon 5 Dec 11 at 17:10
 Winter / All Season Tyres - Now in use! - Injection Doc
Well I'm still waiting for the snow since fitting 4 vredestein wintrac extreme 4's to my Freelander 2 GS.
The tyres feel great and the traction is superb in the wet, it was already running Goodyear Wrangler M+S but I have to say these Vredestein may take some beating. I have fitted them on a spare set of alloys which allows me to run one set for winter & one set for summer giving more mileage overall from both.

Last year in the snow with the clever electronics that L/R use ( Snow mode & HDC ) traction was terrific and ended up towing BMW X5's up hill and most roads that were partially blocked buy stuck car didn't prove a problem as going off road & up grass embankments in a foot of snow just added to the fun, so it should be even better this year.
>>Progressiveness is at the rate it communicates to driver how the tyres are losing grip<<

Thanks movil.
 Winter / All Season Tyres - Now in use! - PR
It really isnt a good idea to fit 2 winter (or all season tyres) only...

www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cBSWEhimdA

www.michelin.com.om/zma/front/affich.jsp?codeRubrique=20060922130521&lang=EN
so if you try to go round a sharpish snow covered bend at 30mph you might lose your back end? No **** sherlock?
Still better two rather than none.

As said before this is to possibly help prevent me getting stuck on snowy steep hills etc, not to drive like a loony.
 Winter / All Season Tyres - Now in use! - PR
Very true BobbyG, they always go to the extreme to demonstrate. I have though, seen a clip (which i cant find now!) of a car spinning 360 degrees on trying an emergency stop, which however carefully you drive you may not be able to avoid.
I am having difficulty in finding all season tyres. Most tyre shops around me seem not to stock all season tyres! They stock mostly summer and few pure winter tyres only.

So far I could find only Bridgestone A001 @£122 each. Etyres asking £107 but I've never used them and bit worried about paying them in full before fitting.

I selected following as candidates for all season tyres

Vredestein Quatrac 3
Goodyear Vector 4seasons
Hankook Optimo 4S
Bridgestone A001
Kleber Quadraxer

Even Kleber's own stockist (nearest to me) doesn't stock all season tyres!

I am around Luton/Dunstable area which is not exactly tiny place - yet it is so difficult get all season tyres!

Winter / All Season Tyres - Now in use! - -
You've left it a bit late Movi, and few local tyre shops will stock the types of tyre we speak of here, most tyre buyers are too tight to fork out for correct rubber...some of them lurk here and call yah boo from the sidelines..;)

Have a poke nose on Camskills, Mytyres, Tyremen and Oponeo for your sizes and in the case of Camskills email them to enquire if they have your sizes available...i've bought from the first 3 several times with no problems at all (Camskills sometimes slow to update their stock status) but haven't personally bought from Oponeo yet, one of our flock has though and reports all good.

Mytyres have a fitting search function based on your postcode and chosen radius, in case you have diffilculty finding someone who won't rip you off for fitting online bought tyres.
Try black circles movi, I was going to go for the Bridgestone A001's from them before I decided on the Nokians.

www.blackcircles.com/news/2010/jul/bridgestone-adds-all-weather-options
 Winter / All Season Tyres - Now in use! - legacylad
We returned home last night from a long weekend abroad, and swmbo's eldest girl child collected us from the local rail station. Living at an exposed elevation of 320 metres the road onto her small housing estate in Denholme is a 'no go' in adverse conditions unless you have 4wd (or 15yo old Polo's & Clio's as her girls have) but this am my 330 went up effortlessly. I know from bitter experience that it would have gone nowhere on its previous rubber and it would haven taken me literally hours to get home on buses & trains. Neighbours TT, Cooper S, Avensis & Transit all failed to get up the hill, whilst I ungraciously went past with one set of wheels on the pavement as I did not want to lose traction.
The same applied to when I arrived back at my place an hour later. A lower elevation of only 190m, but a steep twisty road serving 12 houses. Previously I would not have even attempted it and walked /slipped uphill. Fortunately, I can walk downhill to work tomorrow because gravity, packed snow/ice & even Michelin Alpin's don't mix.
Last edited by: legacylad on Tue 6 Dec 11 at 14:38
 Winter / All Season Tyres - Now in use! - AnotherJohnH
>> So far I could find only Bridgestone A001 @£122 each.
>> Etyres asking £107 but I've never used them and bit worried about paying them in full before fitting.

Had a set of these fitted to SWMBO's Fabia a few weeks ago, but so far we have managed to just miss the cold weather.

They were very good on Sunday in all the standing water on the M6 (as you'd expect from new tyres with a fairly chunky tread) and the dry driving experience so far has been no different to normal/summer tyres (once the initial few miles had passed).

I used

www.event-tyres.co.uk/

and the payment was made after the tyres were fitted at home. (could have been fitted at work).
 Winter / All Season Tyres - Now in use! - legacylad
Event Tyres for me also.
They provided an excellent srvice.
 Winter / All Season Tyres - Now in use! - Bigtee
mytyres.co.uk

They have fitting stations in the uk.

Winter / All Season Tyres - Now in use! - Hard Cheese
Left home at 7am and it was wet and cold, around 3deg, winter tyres may have been a benefit. However of the 140 miles I have done since most have been on damp or dry roads at around 7deg, really summer tyre territory.

How do the braking distances compare on a dry road at, say, 7deg?

The Nokian WRG2 is marketed as all season tyre in N. America but in Europe as winter tyre! Why?
Last edited by: movilogo on Thu 8 Dec 11 at 09:00
I've got the WRG2 Nokkers movi and intend to keep em on 4 four seasons,

They have the M+S and Snowflake symbol but - they also have a leaf symbol and I've never worked out what that actually means.
...they also have a leaf symbol and I've never worked out what that actually means...

It means you can leaf them on all year.

- - - > :-D
The proper answer appears to be:

"The birch leaf symbol on the side wall of the tyre represents environmental friendliness. As in the manufacture of other products from Nokian Tyres, only pure low aromatic oils are used in the Nokian HT SUV."

www.nokiantyres.com/release?id=11388602
>>The proper answer appears to be:<<

Ah! - that's right, someone else pointed that out to me some time ago (but I 4got) .. thanks Iffy.
 Winter / All Season Tyres - Now in use! - Pat
Aromatherapy for tyres now, is it?

Pat
 Winter / All Season Tyres - Now in use! - Shiny
There's a different effect from trying to hold a camera steady during an unfolding drama than trying to shake one to create a drama, but still quite clever for students.
 Winter / All Season Tyres - Now in use! - R.P.
Eh ?
...Eh ?...

I think Sooty needs a decoke.

Probably something in the water :D
I've always been misunderstood....

Pat
>>I've always been misunderstood....<<

www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2FT4FprxDg

;)
 Safe Driving All :-) - rtj70
www.youtube.com/user/TomTomOfficial?feature=mhee#p/u/0/9AfR43uBspo&Lid=1

I wonder how good winter tyres would have been for some of the situations ;-)
 Safe Driving All :-) - Pat
I think one bloke needed winter soles on his shoes:)

Pat
 Safe Driving All :-) - R.P.
I readily admit I had them last winter. They're already in the garage on stand-by, but whatever happens here, unlikely to need to use them - doubt whether I need to leave the curtilage this year as the dogs have a field to run around and the nearest paper shop is about 2 miles away !
 Safe Driving All :-) - Runfer D'Hills
Did nigh on 300 miles today in a RWD auto on summer rubber. Temperatures hovering around 3 to 4C. Had to scrape ice off the car early AM and went through sleet on occasions. Didn't crash.

Am I a driving god now ? Feel free to worship...

:-)
 Safe Driving All :-) - Dog
Yawn!
 Safe Driving All :-) - Zero
>> Did nigh on 300 miles today in a RWD auto on summer rubber. Temperatures hovering
>> around 3 to 4C. Had to scrape ice off the car early AM and went
>> through sleet on occasions. Didn't crash.
>>
>> Am I a driving god now ? Feel free to worship...
>>
>> :-)

Clearly you are driving well within the limits of the car, the conditions and your skill level.

Would you a like a "running in - please pass" sticker for the back window? It may make the queue behind a little less impatient.
Heh heh !

Ey, but it's done 6000 miles already you know. Must get a proper job. Been saying that for years.

Safe Driving All :-) - corax

Keep talking. Lets wait 'til January.
 Safe Driving All :-) - Fullchat
"Am I a driving god now ? Feel free to worship..."

I'm not worthy. I'm not worthy..............
Last edited by: Fullchat on Fri 9 Dec 11 at 19:29
 Safe Driving All :-) - CGNorwich
"Am I a driving god now ? Feel free to worship..."

Heresy! There is only one true god on this forum.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-GFqhCq2HA
 Safe Driving All :-) - swiss tony
>> Did nigh on 300 miles today in a RWD auto on summer rubber. Temperatures hovering
>> around 3 to 4C. Had to scrape ice off the car early AM and went
>> through sleet on occasions. Didn't crash.
>>
>>
>>
Wimp more like!

I'm still riding the VFR!
Won't the Merc fit in the Mock Tudor garage ?
 Safe Driving All :-) - corax
>> Won't the Merc fit in the Mock Tudor garage ?

Probably hasn't even got around to washing it yet.
Ashamed to admit I haven't in truth. Must do something about that this weekend. It's starting to look quite grim. Bit chilly just yet though...
It's a company car - so take it to a hand car wash place. Make sure they use clean sponges mind.

I've put mine Passat CC through the car wash at Tesco twice. Probably swirl marks on it already.
 Safe Driving All :-) - PeterS
Ours aren't company cars, but I still use the hand car wash at our local homebase :-) The A4's been cleaned there for almost 4 years, and the paintwork looks fine still. Lets see of MB paint is as forgiving ;-)
Just the tiniest slice of humble pie over here thanks....

Sheet ice here this morning and again this evening. Merc coped fine but all manner of lights flashing on the dash suggesting that it was electronically trying very hard not to disgrace itself...

Doesn't bode well...

Drove her manual 2wd Qashqai too earlier.
As in - " Oh darling if you're popping to the shops would you mind awfully topping up the petrol in my car?"
As in - it was breathing fumes and took sixty quids worth....Grrr

It didn't even notice the ice. It has bridgestone Duellers on it which coincidentally were the same tyres as on my old 4wd Qq. That coped exceptionally well last winter. Wonder if Duellers are a bit wintery or something?

Now, about that pie...
All hail the driving god!
Go safely my son.
Ok now as its confession time.

I had to be down ACs way early. It was a clear cold night, 0.1c heavy frost at 07:45 when I left. My route was the back roads over the North and South Downs. Frost hollows, the roads half frosty, half thawed, frozen leaf mould, a real mixture.

I didnt hang about, the Lancer has no electronic traction or stability aids of any kind, non winter tyres and I have to admit.

Nothing

Stable as a rock
Last edited by: Zero on Sat 10 Dec 11 at 17:35
Amazing really, given all that power eh?

To be fair to the E Class it never slipped or slid either. Just lots of TC and ABS lights. Maybe it just felt Christmas-ish.
Last edited by: Humph D'Bout on Sat 10 Dec 11 at 17:44
 Safe Driving All :-) - ....
Can't get the Volvo to unstick at the moment either. Not sure if that's the winter tyres or the lack of power. Have I mentioned the hole in the intercooler ? :-)

Not quite at this stage yet: tinyurl.com/cp7jnz8
 Safe Driving All :-) - PeterS
Very cold and frosty morning here this morning too, which is the first time since the A4 was fitted with its new winter wheels/tyres, so an opportunity for me to see if they made any difference. There are a few junctions round our way that involve downhill, sharp turns in shaded/damp conditions. At low temperatures you could always feel the front wheels slipping slightly on full lock on some of these junctions, basically like very low speed understeer - the tyres had no grip (didn't matter whether the car was on continentals, michelins or goodyears).

On the dunlop winter tyres currently on the car there was no sign of this at all today (minus 1.5 first thing), which is enough to convince me that the grip of these tyres is better at low temperatures. They're not 'necessary' of course, and the car/drivers coped just fine in previous years conditions without them, but they defintely improve grip, which can only be a good thing.

This slight slip of the front wheels was never an issue in BMWs on the same junctions, and the Merc seems to perform just fine too. It's downfall in the snow I think will be the combination of an engine with relatively high torque in a narrow band and an auto box, though I agree with Humph that the 265 width tyres at the rear won't help! But since I grew up in Yorkshire driving my dad's company Volvo/BMWs/Mercs I think I'll be fine - never been stuck yet ;-)

Just my thoughts...

Peter
Not winter tyre weather up here - parked in Asda (zombie dodging) this afternoon, have to day an unwashed X1 on steel wheels has a certain "edginess" - X1 has 255 rear tyres btw
 Safe Driving All :-) - Iffy
...have to day an unwashed X1 on steel wheels has a certain "edginess"...

Did anyone approach you to ask for a 'fix'?

Safe Driving All :-) - swiss tony
>> ...have to day an unwashed X1 on steel wheels has a certain "edginess"...
>>
>> Did anyone approach you to ask for a 'fix'?
>>
Don't be stupid!

The steel wheels would have confused them - everyone knows the 'suppliers' have to have 'da bing'!
Last edited by: swiss tony on Sat 10 Dec 11 at 19:56
Quite right ST. It was quite at home in the dingy down at heel dump that is the local Asda....shudder...
 Safe Driving All :-) - VxFan
>> parked in Asda (zombie dodging)

Sorry, initially read that as dogging.
Now that would have caused a stir - really dire place, almost worth the 14 mile round trip to Waitrose - get a better class of shopper there...
Feet of clay. At least you're honest !
Last edited by: R.P. on Sat 10 Dec 11 at 17:53
Maybe, might also be a wee bit down to the watchstrap profile 265s...

Well that's my excuse anyway...

Safe Driving All :-) - -
>> Maybe, might also be a wee bit down to the watchstrap profile 265s...
>>

Don't you dare after all your mickey taking and rib poking jokes about tyre choices dream of blaming the tyres..:-)

i'll go to the foot of our stairs audrey.
In the ice and snow last year and the year before, my Mazda6 with traction control (and ABS of course) lit up like that. I wonder how the Passat CC will fare on 18" low profile tyres... poorly I assume :-)
See now, y'try to be a bit 'umble, a tad prodigal, what happens eh ? Christmas too. Pah !
 Safe Driving All :-) - Old Navy
I am now into my 42nd winter without winter tyres. Two inches of snow this morning, (now melted) and 40 odd miles without indecent today. I put it down to the first few winters driving on crossply tyres.

And the ABS, ESC, EBD, and EBA were not used either.
 Safe Driving All :-) - legacylad
I'm thinking of asking for a refund on my Alpins.
Booted it out of a roundabout in 2nd this am and the back end skipped out alarmingly. Maybe thats just one of the problems with having a decent 6 cyl with RWD under yer right foot.
Never had that problem with the miniscule 2.0 Legacy.
 Safe Driving All :-) - legacylad
Saw a Mustang V8 soft top in Paris last weekend.
Now that would be fun in the slipperiness.
>>and 40 odd miles without indecent today<<

Probably due to your age O/N, or wearing a kilt in all that wind t'other day.

:)
 Safe Driving All :-) - Old Navy
>> >>and 40 odd miles without indecent today<<
>>
>> Probably due to your age O/N, or wearing a kilt in all that wind t'other
>> day.
>>
>> :)

That explains it, must be the tartan tyres and a chanter up the exhaust :).

Pity age doesn't improve typing and spell checkers don't pick up some typos.
>>Pity age doesn't improve typing and spell checkers don't pick up some typos<<

Be boring if we lived in a purrfect world though, wooden tit ;)
>> Maybe, might also be a wee bit down to the watchstrap profile 265s...
>>
>> Well that's my excuse anyway...
>>

Here ya go humph, throw one of these in the back of the merc, should see you ok for a while

www.aspli.com/products/1602/grit-bin-heavy-duty-black-with-yellow-lid
Brilliant Z ! I like the lateral thinking.

I was more inclined however just to use the Qashqai if it gets really bad. It seems to work quite well. 45p a mile on the Xs too...

Winter / All Season Tyres - Now in use! - hawkeye
Nankang Snow Viva-2 tyres now fitted to the front of Mrs H's C3. Our street very icy yesterday and the motorbike highly unstable on the way to work. I don't know if I'll be able to report much that's helpful as herself has become a bit precious about letting me drive her new car.

Unless it needs petrol of course ...
 Winter / All Season Tyres - Now in use! - Cliff Pope

For a new angle on the argument, see:

www.tyres-online.co.uk/techinfo/wintertyres.asp

It distinguishes between SNOW tyres, which have deep chunky treads designed to pack with snow, which then grips to snow on the road. Like squeezing a snowball.

and
WINTER tyres on the other hand are unsuitable for snow, but are good on ice or very cold wet roads. They have multiple channels which flex in order to keep clear.

Any thoughts?
Yeah, I can go along with that - I didn't want and wouldn't have purchased SNOW tyres with chunky treads,

I had my Nokians fitted for the simple reason that I want to be able to get up the steep country lane where we live, in icy conditions, because it never gets gritted.
 Winter / All Season Tyres - Now in use! - corax
>> I had my Nokians fitted for the simple reason that I want to be able
>> to get up the steep country lane where we live, in icy conditions, because it
>> never gets gritted.

You might have an opportunity to try out the Nokians in anger Dog. Risk of snow in the south on Friday.
Funny you should say that corax, we've had hail AND thunder n' lightning the last couple of days up here,
knocked all the electric orf, I was on-line at the time :(

The country lane was a sheet of hail stones, but luckily I didn't need to go out at the time :)

Also, my private water supply - - - is fed --- to the cottage - - - by an electric pump!

Good fun living up here in an isolated moorland cottage :(

TBC!
 Winter / All Season Tyres - Now in use! - rtj70
Dog, if I lived there I'd have a backup generator for power.
Yes, I was thinking the same thing earlier on today Rob, trouble is with places like this, the power lines are overhead, so they orften get knocked out for one reason or another so I'll have to see about a gennie.
With Dave (in Norway or is it Sweden) posting about his power problems, your post just made be realise we all assume that power and electric are a given.

Recently in Scotland was it something like 70000 homes without power? And no power means no central heating. We'd manage with the gas fire and gas hob I suppose. But it makes me wonder about the usefulness of a generator just in case. A bit like an insurance policy. You assume you don't need it.

Just not sure where I would put one when running. We do have a cellar or could run cable from the garage.
Long, long ago, in the mists of time, I carried a little Honda gennie in my van to run the Crypton motor tester,
when we had power cuts in the 80's I used to take it 'up stairs' to our council flat and stick it outside on the balcony to run the idiots lantern in the lounge :)
 Winter / All Season Tyres - Now in use! - corax
>> Funny you should say that corax, we've had hail AND thunder n' lightning the last
>> couple of days up here,

I'm envious. REAL weather, good for a bit of skin exfoliation :)
You might get a bit (of snow) on Thursday night / Friday morning over your way, if you're lucky :)
Fitted Bridgestone A001 on all 4 wheels. Will report how it goes.
We've got a bit of snow here too. Mostly melted away now.
>>Fitted Bridgestone A001 on all 4 wheels<<

Good tyres Sahib, they'll require running in mind!
What exactly is running in of tyres??

How long (time/miles) it takes to do running in of tyres?
 Winter / All Season Tyres - Now in use! - R.P.
You need to get the horrible tacky coatings off them, takes a few miles. Not so worried about car tyres but always very wary if bike tyres.
 Winter / All Season Tyres - Now in use! - Runfer D'Hills
Some of the winter tyres which have been on since half past September are probably about run out by now never mind run in !

Snowing here now mind. Won't last though will it? Whistles nervously....
 Winter / All Season Tyres - Now in use! - ....
>> Some of the winter tyres which have been on since half past September are probably
>> about run out by now never mind run in !
>>
>>
>> Snowing here now mind. Won't last though will it? Whistles nervously....
>>

Humph, your posts in the winter shoes thread got me thinking about tyres and the should I/should I not put winter tyres on the car question.

It's often said "we've managed for x decades on standard rubber" thinking about it though that standard rubber now is not the same standard rubber as it was then. 30 or 40 years ago tyres were 135/145..175 x 10/12/13/14 there were no profiles they were all standard 80's.

Twenty years ago I had a hot hatch at the tame end of performance which ran on 185/60x14. I now have a four door saloon with a diesel engine which runs on 225/45x17 standard tyres. The tyres are not the same although we still only get one set which are supposed to cope with anything weather wise.
Och you're almost certainly right gmac, but where's the fun in not winding up the wind-able...

...You need to get the horrible tacky coatings off them, takes a few miles. Not so worried about car tyres but always very wary if bike tyres...

The tyres are covered in slippery silicone so they release easily from the mould.

As RP says, it wears off in a few miles.

Some people reckon new tyres should be bedded in for a couple of hundred miles.

Not sure if it makes much difference, but many people find the original tyres last longer than the replacements.

That could be because the car is being run-in, which also runs in the tyres.

Winter / All Season Tyres - Now in use! - John H
>> many people >>

Are there stats to prove this?

>> That could be because the car is being run-in, which also runs in the tyres. >>

?

Are there new cars which require running in nowadays?

>>How long (time/miles) it takes to do running in of tyres?<<

50+ miles should be the minimum, before they give their best, movi.
50 miles is nothing - just a little bit more than my daily commute :-)

I put 250 miles on my Nokians before I considered them up to 'the job', just need some snow now!
 Winter / All Season Tyres - Now in use! - sajid
Its snowing now, i just got 2 pirelli snow control 2 tyres for my jazz, difficult to get hold of at that size, wanted continental ones, but impressed with the grip of the tyres, now coming on their own as i type its snowing!

Rest of the cars all crawling now, i am also going slow just in case the car in front does something

By the way its a gd jazz
5c and sunny here in Cornwall, I might get me bikini out later for a spot of vitamin D.
 Winter / All Season Tyres - Now in use! - Zero
Drove through a snow belt around Baldock, funnily enough I managed to get through on normal tyres.
 Winter / All Season Tyres - Now in use! - Dutchie
Normal people with normal tyres.
You in a bikini Dog? Better stop in with a tot of Whisky.>): Here in Yorkshire drizzle overcast.
Wassamatta you Dutchie, have you never seen a Keeshond in a bikini then?
I've seen a poedel in a bikini not a pretty sight.Talking about bikinis I can tell you miss Tenerive.Anyway these winter tyres,lets hope nobody needs them,snow is nice on a postcard.
>>I've seen a poedel in a bikini not a pretty sight<<

Was that in the Reeperbahn Dutchie ;)
My mind goes blanc with certain experiences better forgotten..;)
Up to date my "snow" experience with the Bridgestone A001's is that they frighten it away - I was really expecting to need them early this morning, but the snow forecast here didn't happen.

Still got some tread left... maybe next year :-)
Last edited by: AnotherJohnH on Fri 16 Dec 11 at 17:28
>>Up to date my "snow" experience with the Bridgestone A001's is that they frighten it away<<

Same here with my Nokians - weird or what! I'm thinking of part exing them for some moor (sic) bikinis :D
Wobbly wimps, the lot of ya:)

Pat
 Winter / All Season Tyres - Now in use! - henry k
Best tyres for thes conditions?

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lancashire-16354575
Wouldn't want to give much for the chances of any non-galvanised bodywork in that Henry ! Ideal conditions for a green plastic fold up dog mind. Easy to find and subsequently dry off...
 Winter / All Season Tyres - Now in use! - henry k
LOL
fake dogs are NOT a good idea

www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2yZusRte3A
 Winter / All Season Tyres - Now in use! - Focusless
Not certain but presumably being Swedish this chap was using winter tyres, and look what happened - trapped in his car since 19th Dec:
www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-17088173

Car might need a bit of a valet...
 Winter / All Season Tyres - Now in use! - CGNorwich
He just wanted to avoid Christmas.
There's a set of traffic lights in Islington which make you feel like you have to wait that long. Rarely any snow to eat either.
 Winter / All Season Tyres - Now in use! - Lygonos
From checking camskill's latest prices, looks like they've overstocked winter tyres.

205/55x16 (commonest size on the road) have Kumho winter tyres from 50 sheets a corner, same as their cheapest summer tyres.
 Winter / All Season Tyres - Now in use! - CGNorwich
"50 sheets a corner"

or as the English speakers might say

£50 each ;-)

Winter / All Season Tyres - Now in use! - Bill Payer
>> From checking camskill's latest prices, looks like they've overstocked winter tyres.
>>
>> 205/55x16 (commonest size on the road) have Kumho winter tyres from 50 sheets a corner,
>> same as their cheapest summer tyres.
>>

Hmm...daughter's Golf uses that size - wonder if I should lay in a set. :)
>> Car might need a bit of a valet...

Pic of interior in DM report:
www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2103339/Swedish-man-Peter-Skyllberg-survives-frozen-car-months-eating-handfuls-snow.html

Wonder what it smelt like?
I hope those leather seats were heated - wouldn't have been very cosy otherwise.

>>
>> Wonder what it smelt like?
>>

The whole thing smells a bit fishy.
Another update on my all weather tyres.
They are are meant for all weather and to be good for snow as well - however they are not particularly good in high temperatures!

As mentioned before I don't drive like a loony but for those of you who may know it, coming down the back road from Lochwinnoch to Largs, there is a steep downhill with some twists in it.

Coming down this yesterday, even though the road had the anti grip surface, I thought I had lost it on one bend as the car just seemed to be gliding over the surface. I didn't lose it, but did have a "breathe in and hold the steering wheel tight" moment.

Car outside temp gauge was showing 28.5, road temperature no doubt higher and tyre temp higher still. Wee bit of a squeaky bum time but I reckon this week's weather is less common in Scotland than the snow so just need to drive a bit more careful in the heat!
I know that road, done it a few times when working in the valley. Its a cracker. Bet the tarmac was weeping its bitumen.
>>I know that road, done it a few times when working in the valley. Its a cracker

It sure is, believe it or not, very popular with cyclists!! Apparently its a very good training road!
According to the OP Mr G, you have the Quadraxers on the front only, that could explain it, maybe.

The Quadraxers are highly rated on wet and dry roads by all accounts.
 Winter / All Season Tyres - Now in use! - devonite
Whats the "reasoning" in fitting new tyres to one side of a car only? - at least that's the message Michellin seem to be promoting in their latest TV ad!
>> Another update on my all weather tyres.
>> They are are meant for all weather and to be good for snow as well
>> - however they are not particularly good in high temperatures!
>>
I was driving Mrs BP's Honda Jazz, still on full winter tyres, at the weekend still and it seemed fine. Straght-lined a fast roundabout near home as usual and it didn't give me any cause for concern.
>> Straght-lined a fast roundabout near home as usual and it
>> didn't give me any cause for concern.

Isn't the problem with winter tyres used in summer just that they will wear relatively quickly?
>> Isn't the problem with winter tyres used in summer just that they will wear relatively
>> quickly?
>>
That's commonly said but it's supposedly not true. I also have a Merc and some MB owners run winter tyres year round and reckon they last longer than summer tyres.

The Jazz came with Dunlop SP2030's from new. Although it's a summer tyre here, they're sold in some countries as All Season tyres and I reckon they're pretty soft and will struggle to get to 20K miles. The Michelin Alpin winter's will have to go some to be worse than that.
 Winter / All Season Tyres - Now in use! - Mapmaker
>> Isn't the problem with winter tyres used in summer just that they will wear relatively
>> quickly?

and that they're not as efficient at dealing with standing water as summer tyres, making aquaplaning more of a problem.
Last edited by: Mapmaker on Tue 29 May 12 at 12:33
>> >> Isn't the problem with winter tyres used in summer just that they will wear
>> relatively
>> >> quickly?
>>
>> and that they're not as efficient at dealing with standing water as summer tyres, making
>> aquaplaning more of a problem.

Due to what they're made of, or the tread pattern (or something else)?
 Winter / All Season Tyres - Now in use! - commerdriver
>> As mentioned before I don't drive like a loony but for those of you who
>> may know it, coming down the back road from Lochwinnoch to Largs, there is a
>> steep downhill with some twists in it.
One of my favourite roads for fun driving
Manage to get time for an ice-cream at Nardini's Bobby?
Humph, in the afternoon we had fish suppers out the Viking chippie (which I reckon must have sold in excess of 4 figures of suppers) and then we went in to the old Nardinis, not the one right at the ferry but the other one, for ice cream drinks before heading up the road.

Five people and a dog in the car and no working air conditioning!!
Latest Forum Posts