Motoring Discussion > 12v ceramic heaters Miscellaneous
Thread Author: TheManWithNoName Replies: 16

12v ceramic heaters - TheManWithNoName
Has anyone had experience of ceramic heaters? Do they work well or are they a waste of £10?
I want something I can use to defrost/demist/warm the inside whilst I'm clearing the outside of my car on really frosty days.
 12v ceramic heaters - Bigtee
Webasto heater now this will cook the inside for you.

Clear the junk out the garage and fit the car in.

Try the heater and report back i use the air con myself.
 12v ceramic heaters - RattleandSmoke
I would be concerned about their power consumption, may 12v plug clearly states on it maximum 180w (so 15amps on a 12v supply).

I would doubt though any of these products would exceed that.
 12v ceramic heaters - Manatee
Feeble I should think - 180W isn't very much, if you mean the 12V ones as sold be Maplin, which don't quote the power but have a 15A fuse.
 12v ceramic heaters - AnotherJohnH
I use a fan heater perched on the rear parcel shelf when the windows are all frozen up.
(long mains lead out of cluttered up garage - don't ask).

1 kW for the time it takes to have breakfast is usually enough for thawing, but no fire...

2 kW some mornings last winter.

I don't expect 180 Watts to be much help.
 12v ceramic heaters - slowdown avenue
once had a small 12volt hair drier , that i would heatt screen from inside of car, it worked just ,but it was so noisey i gave up with it. i like the idea of 1kw heater left on parcel shelf, iam so going to try that
just rememberd used to place hot wheat bag over steering wheel 10 mins before leaving home that used to clear screen quite well. not had a bad morning in bedfordshire yet this year
>> not had a bad morning in
>> bedfordshire yet this year

Chipping it off a few miles from you this morning. Car said air temp 1C. It's not the scraping I mind, but it takes 5 minutes or so to warm the screen enough to keep it clear of mist. I did like the Quickclear screen on the two Fords I had.
 12v ceramic heaters - Bromptonaut
>> It's not the scraping I mind, but it takes 5 minutes or so to warm
>> the screen enough to keep it clear of mist.

After a long time being wary of cracking the screen I've recently started using warm water to clear frost. Get it a bit bit over hand hot and it warms the screen enough to drive off mist until the heater gets going.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Mon 5 Dec 11 at 20:48
 12v ceramic heaters - -
Blow that for a lark, start car, lock car, stand inside house with cup of hot tea watching the frost melt...own secluded driveway preferred.
>> Blow that for a lark, start car, lock car, stand inside house with cup of
>> hot tea watching the frost melt..

..and the bum warmers getting going!
 12v ceramic heaters - Runfer D'Hills
That'll be the bit I most miss about smoking...
 12v ceramic heaters - WillDeBeest
..and the bum warmers getting going!

That'll be the bit I most miss about smoking...

Sure you were doing it right, Humph?
 12v ceramic heaters - Runfer D'Hills
Heh heh !
 12v ceramic heaters - Bromptonaut
>> Blow that for a lark, start car, lock car, stand inside house with cup of
>> hot tea watching the frost melt...own secluded driveway preferred.

Driveway is secluded enough but calculation works back from 'train leaves at hh:mm'. Start car bit then means sallying forth in dressing gown at (say) 06:30.

The kettle of warm water trick is performed in two minutes while coffee for flask is finishing in microwave.
 12v ceramic heaters - -
>> bit then means sallying forth in dressing gown at (say) 06:30.
>>

No nicks i presume, very good for the circulation and wellbeing of the undercarriage.:-)
no bumwarmers MT, destroyers of manly things....

Anyway shouldn't the good woman be waiting on you hand and foot, bowl of porridge, hot cuppa whilst you the hunter gatherer stands guard over the estate prior to going off to war, c'mon Brompton get her trained up.

I shall of course deny all knowledge of the previous sentence should i meet Lady Bromptonette.;)
Last edited by: gordonbennet on Mon 5 Dec 11 at 21:24
>> No nicks i presume, very good for the circulation and wellbeing of the undercarriage.:-)
>> no bumwarmers MT, destroyers of manly things....

Oh dear, hope it's not too late...

>>
>> Anyway shouldn't the good woman be waiting on you hand and foot, bowl of porridge,
>> hot cuppa whilst you the hunter gatherer

I keep trying to explain to Mrs Dugong how draining all this hunting and gathering is, and how a bit of pampering might be in her interests - surely she doesn't wnat me to wear myself out?

The result, so far, is that I take her a cup of tea in bed before I leave.
 12v ceramic heaters - Dave
I just set the timer for an hour before departing. The engine and interior are both then preheated. Just have to remember to remove the lead from the socket in the front bumper before driving off. I think the engine heater is 800w, and the interior heater 1.2kw.
Latest Forum Posts