Motoring Discussion > Winters here - Normal Tyres in use., Accessories and Parts
Thread Author: Zero Replies: 71

Winters here - Normal Tyres in use., - Zero
Here is the place for all sane people, who are not suckered into lashing out on 8 tyres when 4 will do. (or in Bobbies case he is SUCH a cheapskate he only bought an extra two for his Altea even tho I managed 50k miles in the same car with ordinary tyres - nae bother)

It was a chilly 3 here today, lots of frost on the car. Went out on - get this - ordinary tyres. No issues to report.
Last edited by: Zero on Mon 5 Dec 11 at 17:33
 Winters here - Normal Tyres in use., - Pat
Then he got stuck behind a jacknifed lorry, I think:)

Pat
 Winters here - Normal Tyres in use., - BobbyG
Zero, but your are in deepest Surrey where your idea of winter is when you might need to knot a jumper over your shoulders to go with your matching t shirt and chinos!
 Winters here - Normal Tyres in use., - NortonES2
Zero: you wouldn't be so cocky on summer tyres here: www.buxtonweather.co.uk/
It still proves what we've been telling you all though.

Your winter tyres are only as good as the vehicle in front of you!

Pat
You can still overtake or get round, unles the road is completely blocked, which is rare. But in the Buxton region, some roads are blocked by the police to save people getting stranded at 520m!
Please Norton, don't remind me!

I spent a very dark, snowy and icy winters night looking for a firm in Tideswell with a load of frozen turkeys on board.

I took the wrong turning and ended up in a quarry... with an artic. I did turn it round but it took some time to keep the traction!

In the trade it's known as a brown trouser moment:)

Pat
Last edited by: pda on Mon 5 Dec 11 at 18:00
>> Please Norton, don't remind me!
>>
>> I spent a very dark, snowy and icy winters night looking for a firm in
>> Tideswell with a load of frozen turkeys on board.
>>
>> I took the wrong turning and ended up in a quarry... with an artic. I
>> did turn it round but it took some time to keep the traction!
>>
>> In the trade it's known as a brown trouser moment:)

At least the Turkeys didnt defrost if it was snowing.
They were in a fridge box, Z!

Pat
Oooh!
>> Zero, but your are in deepest Surrey where your idea of winter is when you
>> might need to knot a jumper over your shoulders to go with your matching t
>> shirt and chinos!

We had deeper and earlier snow than you wimpy jocks last year and its was still "nae bother"
In true Pantomine style, "oh no you didnt" !
 Winters here - Normal Tyres in use., - Runfer D'Hills
I would just like to say....But I won't, Bobby asked nicely, so...

:-)

Edit - just realised, we can be foul to each other on this thread. Good-oh....

More to follow
Last edited by: Humph D'Bout on Mon 5 Dec 11 at 18:57
 Winters here - Normal Tyres in use., - R.P.
Don't mind the mods.
Some of them are closet rockers I hear.
 Winters here - Normal Tyres in use., - VxFan
>> Don't mind the mods.

Do they do winter tyres for scooters?
 Winters here - Normal Tyres in use., - Fenlander
>>>Do they do winter tyres for scooters?

Not sure but I'm already equipped on the mountain bike with some soft compound Michelins.
No they just use the parka and ride.

I'll um...
 Winters here - Normal Tyres in use., - Manatee
Zero, did you know you can save money by not insuring your house? After all, what are the chances of it burning down?

I hope you haven't been wasting your money for the last 30 years ;-)
 Winters here - Normal Tyres in use., - Clk Sec
I don't think that I had even heard of winter tyres before enlisting at the other place, and I've not personally known anyone who has ever fitted them.

Oh...the shame of it. I can barely hold my head up.
:)
>> Zero, did you know you can save money by not insuring your house? After all,
>> what are the chances of it burning down?
>>
>> I hope you haven't been wasting your money for the last 30 years ;-)

No I havent, I only pay one policy, not an extra one for March in case its windy, or April when it gets wet, or one in December in case it snows.
Touché!
 Winters here - Normal Tyres in use., - CGNorwich
I think you need 10 or 5 tyres unless you ar are gunk merchant. Not sure about the legality of having winter tyres fitted with a summer tyre as a spare.
 Winters here - Normal Tyres in use., - Lygonos
Perfectly legal.

In the UK ;-)

Probably not in NZ. ;-)

Surely a bit dodgy since you are potentially mixing types on the same axle.

I'm sure that anyone so concerned about grip that they buy two sets of tyres wouldn't want to risk it would they?
 Winters here - Normal Tyres in use., - Hard Cheese

Can you get winter space savers?

You are being mischievous of course. My spare is a pram wheel which doesn't look too well matched summer or winter.
 Winters here - Normal Tyres in use., - Dutchie
Do emergency services change to wintertyres?
from earlier this year
www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-12138842

Thanks Bobby makes sense in those conditions.
 Winters here - Normal Tyres in use., - Dieselboy
Some do, some don't.

We do on the rapid response vehicles, but not the big yellow taxis. There's a row of leased L200s sat at workshops waiting for bad weather.

>> We do >>

Who are "we" DB?

Wednesday 14th December 2011, Somerset to Manchester to Birmingham to Somerset, a 420 mile round trip, will I be OK on the half worn Bridgestone RE050As?

Winters here - Normal Tyres in use., - movilogo
>> I only pay one policy, not an extra one for March in case its windy, or April when it gets wet, or one in December in case it snows.

In tyre terms that's called All Season Tyres - works fine in summer, autumn, spring and winter.

Having summer tyre in winter like having an insurance policy whose fine print says not valid for your house because the roof tiles are of different types (or something similar)

}:-)
 Winters here - Normal Tyres in use., - Dieselboy
North West Ambulance Service - Lancs area...
 Winters here - Normal Tyres in use., - R.P.
I acquired one of "your" green first aid kits - It's since travelled the world !
 Winters here - Normal Tyres in use., - Mike Hannon
I don't know whether this has been mentioned on any of the winter tyre threads, because I haven't been following, TBH, but what about car rental firms? Presumably they don't fit all their fleets with winter tyres?
Should you take out extra insurance if you hire a car with 'summer' tyres in winter? Could you sue a company that didn't supply a vehicle fitted with winter tyres?
Just wondering, as I may be hiring a car in the UK before long...
 Winters here - Normal Tyres in use., - corax
>> Could you sue a company that didn't supply a vehicle fitted with winter tyres?
>> Just wondering, as I may be hiring a car in the UK before long...

I doubt it because fitting winter tyres isn't mandatory in the UK. If an incident happened it would more likely be blamed on your driving incompetence or 'You shouldn't have been driving in those conditions sir'.
 Winters here - Normal Tyres in use., - Bromptonaut
>> Just wondering, as I may be hiring a car in the UK before long...

I'd be surprised if any big hire company fits any of its UK fleet with winter tyres. In most of the UK and most winters they're simply not needed. In twenty two years in semi rural Northants I've driven in bad snow on perhaps ten days - most of them in last two years.

Suppose a local hire firm in Northern Scotland or mid Wales might see a need but even then whose going to bother?.

Last car I hired was on the Isle of Lewis in december 09. Before we got thinking about winter tyres so I didn't check but tbh the gritting/ploughing up there was so good we wouldn't have needed them
Don't forget that winter tyres are less safe than summer tyres in dry conditions however cold it is.

I would be looking to sue anybody using winter tyres in such conditions who failed to stop and hit my car.
Last edited by: CGNorwich on Tue 6 Dec 11 at 13:58
>> Don't forget that winter tyres are less safe than summer tyres in dry conditions however
>> cold it is.

If it's below 7 degrees surely the rubber compound in the summer tyres will be harder, offering less grip?
Last edited by: corax on Tue 6 Dec 11 at 14:15
Hire cars have the tyres that were fitted at the factory where the car was built.

Tellingly, Car makers dont fit all weather tyres to cars for the UK market, and suprise suprise no-one has manged to sue them yet.

>>I would be looking to sue anybody using winter tyres in such conditions who failed to stop and hit my car.

Really? But if they were in normal tyres and hit you then you wouldn't sue?
 Winters here - Normal Tyres in use., - Bromptonaut
>> Really? But if they were in normal tyres and hit you then you wouldn't sue?
>>

I think he means where the winter tyres abetted the failure to stop!!
>> I think he means where the winter tyres abetted the failure to stop!!

But how would you prove that it was the tyres and not driver error?
Last edited by: corax on Tue 6 Dec 11 at 14:44
 Winters here - Normal Tyres in use., - Old Navy
>> >> I think he means where the winter tyres abetted the failure to stop!!
>>
>> But how would you prove that it was the tyres and not driver error?
>>

Tyres fitted are totally irrelevant (unless they are illegal), It is the drivers responsibility to drive within the capabilities of the vehicle in the prevailing road conditions.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Tue 6 Dec 11 at 14:51
Below 7c wintertyres after reading various test are the safest bet also in dry conditions.
 Winters here - Normal Tyres in use., - MrTee43
There's an old saying.

You can't argue with idiots !
Well I won't bother then!

| was being a bit provocative but would be interested in seeing the results of any tests that show winter tyres have shorter stopping distance in dry cold conditions Dutchie.
I looked at some Dutch test they did on wintertyres.

You call me a idiot to my face and I would brake your nose.!
 Winters here - Normal Tyres in use., - PR
www.whatcar.com/car-news/winter-tyres-tested/be-prepared/259257

Test results here. Dry weather below 7C summer tyres still better (though only at 5.5C, not sure what happens as the temperature drops)

As for the arguments about suing if hit by a car with winter tyres, not sure if that is tongue in cheek, if not, then you could be sued if hit in the wet or on snow by someone not on winter tyres?!
Last edited by: PR on Tue 6 Dec 11 at 22:37
For avoidance of doubt.

My comment about "Idiots" referred to people who reckon winter tyres/all season tyres are a waste of money.

Two years ago we had a bad winter and the minor roads around here were left untreated and many had compacted snow and ice. Trying to get up some of them especially those with an incline were very difficult regardless of driving experience. As my wifes job entailed driving to get to old people needing care, last year I decided to buy a spare set of used alloys and bought 4 Nokian winter tyres at a cost of £57 each and £20 to have them fitted.

Fast forward to winter last year and the snow was just as bad if not worse. The difference these tyres made was astounding. Without any bother, the car could just drive up and down virtually anything with confidence.

In one particular place where a clay pidgeon shoot was being held, the track up to it was steep, pot holed, graveled and had frozen run off water covered by quite deep fresh snow.

The only vehicles that got up there were big capable 4x4 and me. Every other person in a car had to leave theirs at the bottom. I had quite a few people ask me how the hell I had got up.

Winter tyres work and everybody I know who now have them all say the same thing.

They are brilliant !
 Winters here - Normal Tyres in use., - Dog
"A set of winter tyres could be the difference between life and death this winter"

That says enough, for me.

>> In one particular place where a clay pidgeon shoot was being held, the track up
>> to it was steep, pot holed, graveled and had frozen run off water covered by
>> quite deep fresh snow.
>>
>> The only vehicles that got up there were big capable 4x4 and me. Every other
>> person in a car had to leave theirs at the bottom. I had quite a
>> few people ask me how the hell I had got up.

SO you risked yours, and other peoples lives, traveling in unsuitable conditions to get to a

clay pigeon shoot!

yeah your right - you cant argue with idiots.
Yes I am not even going to try with you, because you are the biggest arrogant idiot of all !

An idiot who thinks he is always right on every subject under the sun.

You should try to be a politician, you would be in good company. Or maybe you already are.

Oh, and BTW, the track in question was on private land. The surrounding roads were clear at the time.
Last edited by: MrTee43 on Wed 7 Dec 11 at 09:49
 Winters here - Normal Tyres in use., - Fursty Ferret
The BMW wouldn't get up a steep, wet, bit of concrete in the cold last week (temp about 3C) which was deeply embarrassing. Had to get a run-up. Thought about getting winter tyres but decided on a pair of autosocks for the snow and careful driving in the meantime.

'Course, the autosocks mean that Manchester will get no snow this year (again!).
Me the idiot? because I didnt need winter tyres In the worse snow we have had for 20 years last year? And so based on that I dont intend to buy any this year? Me because I wont lash out over 200 quid on winter tyres that are only effective for 15 days a year?

Me know it all? yes you make me look like a genius.
This forum is getting too violent sometimes.

>:-D

Winters here - Normal Tyres in use., - Dog
>>This forum is getting too violent sometimes<<

Children like to throw their toys out of the pram, occasionally.
Do they fit all season rubber on pram wheels?
 Winters here - Normal Tyres in use., - -
>> Do they fit all season rubber on pram wheels?
>>

Shouldn't be at all surprised Movi, some of these baby buggies now resemble off roaders and some i've seen are fitted with disc brakes...i can't help falling about laughing when i see one.
 Winters here - Normal Tyres in use., - madf
It's modern TV. Those of a weak and easily influenced disposition and weak wills see violence on the screen and think that's how people should live.

And the additives they put in bread and the water to keep the population docile are less effective as the older ones become immunised to their effect.

:-)
Would be interested to know where you can get a set of winter tyres and rims for only £200 .

I agree the for most people in most parts of the country winter tyres are unnecessary especially info you avoid venturing out in your car in odd the day or two when conditions are extreme.

I foresee a number of accidents arising from people trying out their new winter tyres by choosing to drive where otherwise they would fear to tread.

Did anyone hear the Red Cross guy on the BBC this morning suggesting we all carry 3 day food and drink plus a sleeping bag and strangely our birth certificate in cars in case of emergency.. Didn't explain the birth certificate and I am intrigued!

p.s

You are a genius Zero. I have never doubted it.
 Winters here - Normal Tyres in use., - Clk Sec
>>You are a genius Zero. I have never doubted it.

Nor me - not for a second.
:)
 Winters here - Normal Tyres in use., - oilburner
>> Did anyone hear the Red Cross guy on the BBC this morning suggesting we all
>> carry 3 day food and drink plus a sleeping bag and strangely our birth certificate
>> in cars in case of emergency.. Didn't explain the birth certificate and I am intrigued!
>>

That's prompted me to go and put a couple of sleeping bags in each car. When I was unlucky enough to be stuck in a 7 hour jam on the M4 a couple of years back I had the good fortune to have a sleeping bag in the boot - didn't even plan it, it was an old one I was going to take to the tip. When it's below 5 degrees outside and you have just a couple of gallons of fuel in the tank and you just don't know how long you're going to be stuck for...

I'll resist taking the birth certificate (although I am intrigued!), and putting water in the car is a waste of time, unless it's fresh every morning. Damn stuff has a habit of freezing overnight!

I'm chancing it without winter tyres though. Never been stuck in snow yet, but enjoy coming close enough to get a buzz out of the will I / won't I get out moment that inevitably happens...
Last edited by: oilburner on Wed 7 Dec 11 at 16:44
 Winters here - Normal Tyres in use., - Iffy
...Didn't explain the birth certificate and I am intrigued...

Me too.

Dug mine out - partly to prove I can still put my hand on it.

I can't see any details that would help in a stranded situation.

Father's name, now dead, mother's name, still with us, but the address is way out of date.

Place of birth is, of course, still correct, but the hospital in Totnes, Devon, is long since shut.

Father's occupation, date of birth and date of registration can have little relevance when I'm stuck in a snowdrift.

And I doubt the registrar is still with us, even assuming I could decipher his name from his handwritten signature.

So still none the wiser.

Last edited by: Iffy on Wed 7 Dec 11 at 16:54
 Winters here - Normal Tyres in use., - henry k
I suspect it was shorthand for " carry some means of identification and home address"
in case you are alone and take your last breath in a snow drift.

As iffy indicated a birth cert is likely to be, apart from the name, just a clue.

The car reg, in most circumstances, would be a better clue to trace things.
>> You are a genius Zero. I have never doubted it.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFyHTU8tg_0
>> Me the idiot? because I didnt need winter tyres In the worse snow we have
>> had for 20 years last year? And so based on that I dont intend to
>> buy any this year? Me because I wont lash out over 200 quid on winter
>> tyres that are only effective for 15 days a year?
>>
>> Me know it all? yes you make me look like a genius.

You might have a point if the winter tyres involved extra cost, but they don't, necessarily. My all-seasons are about half the cost to replace of the standard tyres, so from here on I'm saving money :-)

I took to some seriously snowy roads to bypass complete traffic blockages earlier this year - I wouldn't have passed those routes in my wife's car - I was shocked at how much worse it was than the CRV when I drove it, and grounded her for the duration!
An example of poor tyre choice :)

www.youtube.com/watch?v=unwujSVpZwA&feature=related

Winters here - Normal Tyres in use., - WillDeBeest
Thought about this discussion while doing a lot of driving Friday and Saturday - 230ish miles, first on wet roads, then dry but seldom with the temperature above 5'C and on a variety of road types, from twisty Bs to the A3 and M3.

What made me think was that each time I got out of the car, my non-winter Primacy HPs were distinctly warm to the touch - not hot, but I'd estimate high 20s or low 30s degrees C - even after only a few miles at sub-motorway speeds. There was never, of course, any hint of loss of grip or reduced braking performance. Pressures were checked and correct.

So, I wondered, where's the effect of the ambient temperature, if normal driving can raise the temperature of the rubber by 20 degrees or more? If I never did more than creep around town a mile at a time I might expect to feel a difference from cold tyres; but in normal driving like mine, and assuming typical 'chilly British' rather than 'severe Scandinavian' conditions, when would I feel enough benefit to outweigh the cost and bother?
Latest Forum Posts