Motoring Discussion > Glasgow & West of Scotland - High Winds Miscellaneous
Thread Author: BobbyG Replies: 123

Glasgow & West of Scotland - High Winds - BobbyG
For the first time in my memory there has been a Met Office Red Alert warning issued for extreme gale force winds today. Winds of 90mph are expected to hit Glasgow late morning and work East across Scotland.

Majority of the Councils have taken the decsion to close schools today, drivers are being warned that bridges may be closed and all drivers of high sided vehicles are advised to not be on the road during this time.

Now which works best in wind - summer or winter tyres......... :) Possibly both irrelevant if your car is flying through the air!
 Glasgow & West of Scotland - High Winds - Falkirk Bairn
1967 /68 (IIRC) was the last time winds in Central Scotland got this force of wind.

My brother worked in Paisley - could not park car outside the block of flats. parked round the corner - in the morning a chimney stack had come down from 4 x storey block into where his car "should have been" - lucky white heather!

The other car was crushed / write-off.
 Glasgow & West of Scotland - High Winds - Dog
Probably not a good idea to leave a vehicle jacked up on bricks then.
5 mins ago high winds and driving rain - now the wind is still there but the sun is out!
 Glasgow & West of Scotland - High Winds - Old Navy
I'm a bit East of you, that squall just went over us! It went quite dark for a while.

It's our "paper and cardboard" wheelie bin day, they are starting to blow over. :(
Last edited by: Old Navy on Thu 8 Dec 11 at 10:49
 Glasgow & West of Scotland - High Winds - Iffy
I'm south, east and in a different country, but might catch the fringes.

Barely a breeze at present.

Glasgow & West of Scotland - High Winds - R.P.
Same here ON - what desk bound moron thought they were a good idea in the middle of ruralshire - I often wonder, probably the same one that thought black wheelie bins were a good idea.
 Glasgow & West of Scotland - High Winds - Focusless
Sitting inside the house it sounds 'windy' here in Reading - I hate to think what it must be like up there.
>>Sitting inside the house it sounds 'windy' here in Reading<<

Probably that curry last night :D
>> Same here ON -

We have three of them, soon to be four. I feel for the people who don't have room to store them. Council madness!

The Forth Road Bridge is closed, that means 80+ mph gusts.

EDIT- they have just changed their website.

trafficscotland.org/trafficnews/story.aspx?id=1959
Last edited by: Old Navy on Thu 8 Dec 11 at 11:11
The Forth Road Bridge website seems to have crashed.

www.forthroadbridge.org/
Last edited by: Old Navy on Thu 8 Dec 11 at 11:18
Fortunately us southerners don't have to rely on our imaginations as there's live coverage on the BBC news site:
www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-16082303

eg. from the live text: 'Hibs football training was stopped half way through at Ormiston in East Lothian due to "unbelievable wind and rain"'

Big news story of course (the weather, not Hibs football training), but not sure it warrants this? Or perhaps it will later.
Last edited by: Focus on Thu 8 Dec 11 at 11:19
I can just look out of the window for up to date weather, I am not going to walk to the end of my road to look at the bridge though. :)
Last edited by: Old Navy on Thu 8 Dec 11 at 11:25
 Glasgow & West of Scotland - High Winds - Mike Hannon
>>The Scottish Parliament is allowing all 'non essential' staff to leave at midday, but debates will go ahead as normal.<< (from BBC Scotland website, my quotes).

Better to have sent the MSPs home and let the administrators work in peace, I would have thought.

I see there's a mention of people being evacuated because of threatened danger from 'a turbine' in the Borders. A windmill threatened by wind? Whatever next?
The FRB have sorted out their website.

www.forthroadbridge.org/offline
 Glasgow & West of Scotland - High Winds - spamcan61
>>
>> I see there's a mention of people being evacuated because of threatened danger from 'a
>> turbine' in the Borders. A windmill threatened by wind? Whatever next?
>>

Looking at the UK energy monitor the wind turbine output has dropped by half over the last 24 hours, I assume the brakes are on on turbines up North to stop 'em going over the design rpm.

www.gridwatch.templar.co.uk/

The blades on a reasonable size turbine are around 80ton each from memory, you certainly don't want 3 of them wizzing round too fast.
>> eg. from the live text: 'Hibs football training was stopped half way through at Ormiston
>> in East Lothian due to "unbelievable wind and rain"'

wimps :)
www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-16086959
BBC reporting that gusts are 84mph on the FRB with worse to come.

Bit of useless info, 80 mph winds push the center of the FRB 20' sideways.
 Glasgow & West of Scotland - High Winds - RattleandSmoke
It is really bad down south in Manchester, which to you southerners is about 170 miles south of the Scottish borders. London is 186 miles from Manchester to put that into perspective.

Really heavy rain and very strong gusts here. Meant to be getting the christmas stuff out of the lockup but don't think I will until it calms down. Also got a ten minute walk to the bank, and can't go in the car because the nearest free parking is pretty much outside my house anyway!

Winds of 130mph measured up in the ski resorts:
www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-16079849

EDIT: do you think it was 130kph?
Last edited by: Focus on Thu 8 Dec 11 at 13:50
S'quite windy down ere as well - one of me flower pots has blown over.

:)
>> Winds of 130mph measured up in the ski resorts:
>> www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-16079849
>>
>> EDIT: do you think it was 130kph?
>>

Its the BBC, journalists, what do they ever research. :)

The Cairngorm ski resort is reporting wind speeds of 50 to 75 mph with gusts of 100 mph.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Thu 8 Dec 11 at 14:34
 Glasgow & West of Scotland - High Winds - Zero
>> It is really bad down south in Manchester, which to you southerners is about 170
>> miles south of the Scottish borders. London is 186 miles from Manchester to put that
>> into perspective.

Gawd blimey, a little breeze and you wimpy northern souls are all bleating and running for cover, now the big blow of '87, now that was a wind, blew the cross channel ferries in Dover clean up the beach it did.

Which for you Northerners is 226 miles south of Manchester.
 Glasgow & West of Scotland - High Winds - Hard Cheese
>> blew the cross channel ferries in Dover clean up the beach it did. Which for you Northerners is 226 miles south of Manchester.
>>

And the rest, nearer 300 miles.

>> >> blew the cross channel ferries in Dover clean up the beach it did. Which
>> for you Northerners is 226 miles south of Manchester.
>> >>
>>
>>
>> And the rest, nearer 300 miles.

Actually as the crow flies its 216 miles. As the panda drives, its a far far faraway land where dragons live.
Google suggests 280 miles. Blimey as far as Devon, never realised it was that far.

Calmed down here now, rain has stopped and wind is just a few weekish gusts (40mph max I would say).

Either way I am glad I am not camping on the Anglesey coast today! (Its shut anyway!).
 Glasgow & West of Scotland - High Winds - rtj70
>> Bit of useless info, 80 mph winds push the center of the FRB 20' sideways.

Did you really mean 20 feet and not 20 inches?
>> >> Bit of useless info, 80 mph winds push the center of the FRB 20'
>> sideways.
>>
>> Did you really mean 20 feet and not 20 inches?

With a central span of 3,298 ft, yes a 20 foot sway in the middle is not unreasonable.
Last edited by: Zero on Thu 8 Dec 11 at 14:13
>> With a central span of 3,298 ft, yes a 20 foot sway in the middle
>> is not unreasonable.
>>

I heard the Bridgmaster say this while speaking with Fred Dibner on the TV programme where he drove his steam engine across the bridge, It was repeated on the TV last night.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Thu 8 Dec 11 at 14:21
 Glasgow & West of Scotland - High Winds - rtj70
I wouldn't want to be on it then!
>> I wouldn't want to be on it then!
>>

It is unpleasant driving over it in a car when it gets to "Closed to high sided vehicles" level.
 Glasgow & West of Scotland - High Winds - Runfer D'Hills
As kids, we used to cycle over the Forth road bridge. There's a walkway / cyclepath to one side of the carriageway with a simple barrier rail a few inches wide before the drop to the river. For a dare we used to "tightrope" walk along the top of the barrier rail. Seems a bit daft now of course as one slip would have led to an almost certainly fatal fall. Oh the confidence and lack of imagination of youth !
I bet the safety elfin has put the kybosh on that,
The rail has not changed but there is an "Under CCTV surveillance" sign as a deterrent. :)

It doesn't seem to stop the (unreported) suicides though.
Wind speeds up to 151mph on top of Cairngorns:
www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-16079849
>>Seems a bit daft now of course as one slip would have led to an almost certainly fatal fall<<

Oh I dunno ~ www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/this-britain/woman-survives-150ft-jump-from-forth-bridge-710828.html
 Glasgow & West of Scotland - High Winds - Dave_
>> For a dare we used to "tightrope" walk along the top of the barrier rail. Seems a bit daft now of course as
>> one slip would have led to an almost certainly fatal fall. Oh the confidence and lack of imagination of youth !

The best we could manage was riding supermarket trolleys down the ramps in our local multi-storey. Some of the more fearless/idiotic* kids though would slide on their backsides down the sloping roof on top of the staircase... 4 storeys up, with only 2 courses of bricks to stop their feet against.

The council appears to have built the sloping wall up into a square shape now g.co/maps/epkn3 , presumably after someone misjudged their stopping abilities.

We could start a new thread on this, "Really stupid stuff we did as kids".

*delete as appropriate.
Last edited by: Dave_TDCi on Thu 8 Dec 11 at 16:30
Pictures of lorries on their sides and a wind turbine in flames:
www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-16094360
 Glasgow & West of Scotland - High Winds - Ateca chris
It has a name now
entertainment.stv.tv/opinion/286086-scotlands-hurricane-bawbag-raises-twitter-storm-the-top-reactions/
I see the Glasgow residents have taken the opportunity to send their litter to Edinburgh, probably via Falkirk. :)
Last edited by: Old Navy on Thu 8 Dec 11 at 17:13
Residents are stockpiling essential supplies. Shops reporting strong sales of Irn-Bru, Pot Noodles and green Rizla.

Best comments from Twitter here (Links to STV website): bit.ly/rMY5Ie
Brilliant Dave. My favourite comment from the facetweetings or whatever they're called....

“Women in Burnside forced not to wear jammie troosers and Uggs to go to shops by hurricanebawbag"
Apparantly Scottland is also running out of cooking oil because the people of Glasgow have been buying them in the bulk as they are panicking they won't be able to fry their Marrs bars if it runs out :D
I assure you they are disgusting, like all deep fried food other than good quality fish 'n chips. :)
Oh I dunno, a slice of deep fried pizza and chips with salt and brown sauce at 11.30pm on the corner of Rose Street after a few scoops of Belhaven in the winter is an experience to delight in provided one hasn't quite reached the age of cholesterol awareness.
True, I dread to think of some of the things, (food, before you ask :) ) that I ate on the way back to various ships and stone frigates in my younger days.
The Forth Road bridge is now open to cars only. Average wind speed 54 mph gusting to 65.
so that's only a 10 foot shimmy? that's liveable with.
My barometer has stabilised at 975 hPa, should start rising soon.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Thu 8 Dec 11 at 18:46
Its 999 and falling rapidly here
 Glasgow & West of Scotland - High Winds - CGNorwich
Crossed the channel at lunchtime from Dunquerque to Dover. Conditions very rough and sailings delayed.

Boat was an older LD ferries one presumably under charter to DFDS and not as big and stabilisers not as efficient as the usual DVDS vessel. PLeased to get to Dover!
 Glasgow & West of Scotland - High Winds - Bromptonaut
>> Boat was an older LD ferries one presumably under charter to DFDS and not as
>> big and stabilisers not as efficient as the usual DVDS vessel. PLeased to get to
>> Dover!

Norman Spirit has been chartered in to provide capacity following the Seafrance hiatus. Was well impressed by Seaways Dover's stability when we came back on a ruff day in August - probably a millpond c/p to today though.
 Glasgow & West of Scotland - High Winds - Dutchie
Stabilizers in very rough weather won't help the vessel rolling about.
 Glasgow & West of Scotland - High Winds - CGNorwich
Stabilizers in very rough weather won't help the vessel rolling about.

I thought that 's what stabilisers did Dutchie - limit the rolling effect
>> Stabilizers in very rough weather won't help the vessel rolling about.
>>
>> I thought that 's what stabilisers did Dutchie - limit the rolling effect
>>

Up to a point, in seriously bad weather, (rarely experienced by Joe public, even if they think it is rough), forget it.
Been down as far as 979 here on the way back up through 991 - not really a bad day - had a trip to Conwy to look at the shops - sea was rough but it was a lot worse a couple of weeks ago. Got a long cross country trip tomorrow.

Last edited by: R.P. on Tue 3 Jan 12 at 18:12
Mine is now 980 and rising, now we will get the rain, (hopefully not snow this far south).
Last edited by: Old Navy on Thu 8 Dec 11 at 20:23
>> Its 999 and falling rapidly here

986 here. Rising now with lowest about 2hrs ago.

Very gusty in London at 17:00, finally getting the last of the leaves off the Planes in Russell Sq.
Americans get katrina, Irene, Pauline and Andrew we get hurricane bawbag. u may take our fences you may take our wheelie bins but you'll never take our banter... hurricane baw bag your messing with the wrong people!!!

Posted on FB by a friend up near Forfar.
 Glasgow & West of Scotland - High Winds - ....
>>I assure you they are disgusting, like all deep fried food other than good quality fish 'n
>>chips. :)

Not tried a Munchy Box ON ?

blog.23x.net/5/what-is-a-munchy-box.html
Last edited by: gmac on Thu 8 Dec 11 at 20:28
Another great quote from the tweetfacers in Scotland...

"My neighbour Donald's trousers blew away. I didn't know what to say to him."
You should have typed that in a Scots accent !
I did. Everything I type is in a scots accent...

:-)
>> Not tried a Munchy Box ON ?
>>
>> blog.23x.net/5/what-is-a-munchy-box.html
>>

I have not heard of that before now, a deep fried steak pie or pizza is the limit of my knowledge of Scottish delicacies, remember I had a southern wimp upbringing. Kebab anyone? :-)
Last edited by: Old Navy on Thu 8 Dec 11 at 20:36
 Glasgow & West of Scotland - High Winds - MD
Working close to the Southern fringes of Exmoor today. Extremely windy and uncomfortable and a carp drive home around 18.00. Clearly nothing like you guys in Scotland have had.
respect !!

www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/news/3988547/Journey-to-centre-of-the-storm.html

Well the strong winds are back and I think these are more Father of Bawbag rather than son of! Wheelie bin contents are long gone and now nervously watching the trees doing their morning stretching exercises!
Wonder how close to ninety degrees they can get!
Further North they are getting same wind but with snow also thrown in to the equation!
Gust o' 97 up ere ~ www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/st/islay_port_ellen_latest_weather.html

Praps we should convert our cars to sail.

:)
Really blowy - much more than the beginning of December.

Wind too strong for the wind turbines.

Have you seen the adverts for the Renault Electric cars - petrol powered PCs, crd machines, vending machines etc.

If the Scottish Govt doesn't build some new coal & nuclear stations shortly we will be needing standby generators at back door of every home. Windpower is as reliable as a chocolate fireguard.
It's a bit breezy here in Edinburgh this morning. Nothing like that reported on Islay but windy enough. I've got a 250mile round trip planned for today in a 1.2CVT Honda Jazz. Think I'll be used the manual mode or the engine will be bouncing off the rev limiter when driving into the headwind if I want to maintain any kind of road speed.
wind power is just a small part of a renewables energy source. However the planners seem to think it will suffice. They are of course barking.
One of these in ya back garden should do the job ~ en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PS10_Solar_Power_Plant
I just tried to drive from Dunfermline to St Andrews, I gave up half way, many trees down on and across the roads. The final straw was power lines down across the road. Oh, it was windy too, a few wobbly lorries.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Tue 3 Jan 12 at 10:00
The Forth Road Bridge is shut to all traffic, that means the wind speed is above 80mph.
 Glasgow & West of Scotland - High Winds - sooty123
thanks on currently trying to get to edinburgh by train. Do the local forecasts know when it will die down?
I saw on the TV that all rail services in central Scotland are suspended. The Forth Road Bridge website is predicting an all day closure. However the winds seem to have peaked in my area and it is windy but not as bad. There will be a lot of clearing up to do, it is a bank holiday in Scotland today so much reduced traffic. I was hoping to cross the FRB after lunch, we shall see. :-)
Last edited by: Old Navy on Tue 3 Jan 12 at 11:43
M8 Kingston bridge closed both ways.
M74 seems to be closed for a fair few junctions supposedly due to the amount of blown over vehicles. Dont fancy that!
Heavy rain, 30 mph wind with 50mph gusts, 995 and falling here.
 Glasgow & West of Scotland - High Winds - sooty123
oh well on the move on a bus at the mo hopefully it'll reopen and the trains will start running again. Thanks ON.
My barometer is at 970 and rising rapidly.
Rainstorm with hail and gusts just passed through C London; really dark for several minutes before.

Mrs B reported similar in northampton at around 10:30.
 Glasgow & West of Scotland - High Winds - Pat
And in Cambs about 11.30am.

Pat
Just had to go out and tie bits of string round the back garden fence to stop it blowing away here in Reading. Sounds like it's calming down a bit now.
Last edited by: Focus on Tue 3 Jan 12 at 12:05
If a "bit of string" holds up your fence it is not windy.
Fun and games this morning getting down to Northumberland from Edinburgh.
Tree on the road at Danderhall. A68 blocked just south of Pathhead, turned around and made my way over to Haddington (few trees down on the back roads). A1 just south of Dunbar artic on its side over the barrier southbound, I got passed before the Police closed the road.
Fantastic view of the bay south of Torness and the wind ripping the tops off the waves. Real sea spray thanfully blowing out to sea.

Wind was at its strongest between Eyemouth and Berwick where the A1 duals and rises could feel the air coming through the door seals.

Carter Bar this evening heading back. Should be interesting.
And then BAM

Pressure suddenly starts to rise, and in the space of two hours we have gone from high winds and heavy driving rain to Calm Clear skies and sunshine. Temperature plunged by 4 degrees at the same time from 12c to 8c
Last edited by: Zero on Tue 3 Jan 12 at 13:33
 Glasgow & West of Scotland - High Winds - Iffy
Lots of weather pics from around the country:

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2081141/UK-severe-weather-warning-93mph-gales-Force-11-winds-batter-Britain.html

Glasgow & West of Scotland - High Winds - Lygonos
Heading east on the M9 this morning, 2 artics on their side near Newbridge on the westbound carriageway closing it, then on the Edinburgh City Bypass another artic on its side crushing the armco barrier on the central reservation - coming home plenty of trees blown over and some big chunks of conifers on the westbound M9 near the Polmont/Falkirk junctions.

Hurricane Bawbag part two I guess.
Windy as hell last night, driving rain. We relocated some garden furniture yesterday as we have contractors sorting out a retaining wall problem today...they stayed put. Electric went out between 3.00am and 7.00am (I was asleep see other thread !) - and was out until late afternoon, broke out the camping gear for an afternoon brew. Current temp. is 7.0c outside, Pressure has been building steadily from a low of 974 10 hrs ago to 990 now. Not been a bad afternoon really....
I had a phone call to do a phone interview for BBC Radio Cumbria this morning.

They wanted to know what a lorry driver can do to prevent overturning, what pressure is on them to keep the wheels turning but the interviewers saving grace was his last question....

'Does it help the lorry drivers position when the Police ask all HGV's to park up until the wind drops'

Apparently it goes out this evening!

Pat
 Glasgow & West of Scotland - High Winds - Ateca chris
"I had a phone call to do a phone interview for BBC Radio Cumbria this morning."

They wanted to know what a lorry driver can do to prevent overturning, what pressure is on them to keep the wheels turning but the interviewers saving grace was his last question...

Pats interview 1hr 5mins and 30 secs in.

She sounds just as i imagined she would when reading her threads.

www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p00mflwx/Paul_Braithwaite_03_01_2012/
Last edited by: R.P. on Wed 4 Jan 12 at 17:58
That makes the times I've had my ears boxed by her more realistic....

Good interview Pat ! :-)
 Glasgow & West of Scotland - High Winds - Armel Coussine
Photo of a house featured in Grand Designs that has had its thin, projecting, awning-like roof ripped off by the wind.

Just because modern building methods, double glazing etc. mean you can live in a sort of South Sea Islands beach villa without freezing to death, you should not assume that that building style is all right in the Orkneys or the West coast of Scotland. It's a bit silly not to think the thing through.
Yes indeed, V.G. Pat - Can I have your autograph?

Glasgow & West of Scotland - High Winds - swiss tony
>> That makes the times I've had my ears boxed by her more realistic....

>> Good interview Pat ! :-)
>>
+1
Nice one Pat!
Cool performance Pat. I hope they paid you a bit better than they used to in Portland Place or Bush House for stammering and sweating in a studio for half an hour... didn't even cover the parking fine usually, carphounds, had one struggled through darkest Africa (or tiptoed over Shap Fell on 9 wheels in a force ten gale) just for 20 quid?

I hope they will put you on their pundit list. You deserve it...

Can't help wondering how tight you keep the lace curtains in your sitting room window though...

OW! SorRY!

Can't help wondering how tight you keep the lace curtains in your sitting room window though...

!
I have had phone calls from Pat while I am driving! I can handle anything.
I got paid nothing:)

It makes a change to be quoted in full and not selectively!

RP....I don't do NET curtains, never did in the lorry and I won't have them in the house;)

Pat
Last edited by: pda on Wed 4 Jan 12 at 18:33
>> RP....I don't do NET curtains

It wasn't him miss, it was me... OW! OW!
I was only naughty enough to laugh :-( sorry.

100 lines each I think AC.

Mine will be along the lines of...

"I must not laugh a Lud senior's jokes"
Last edited by: R.P. on Wed 4 Jan 12 at 18:42
I mentioned this a long time ago, and far far away on another forum and got roasted for it by net curtain lovers but I'll risk it again ...

Before the M6 toll was built, driving south on the old M6 usually involved shuffling along at a snail's pace at best through Birmingham. I was often delayed right by a high rise block of flats. Unique in so far as they were standing alone, a solitary tower not overlooked by anything.

I often used to ponder as to why those flats, especially the ones of the residents of the higher levels, had net curtains at their windows.

There wasn't much else to do in fairness if Pop Master had finished.

Never did get a totally satisfactory explanation.

Edit - bit like 316i BMWs...Why?
Last edited by: Humph D'Bout on Wed 4 Jan 12 at 19:01
Holyhead (of all places) has an online encyclopaedia of words and terminology used in that fair town. This is what it has to say about net-curtains.

Neckurtuns

Net coverings for windows. From the outside will disguise to a certain extent a neighbour who has failed to close his or her curtains. From the inside will camouflage a householder wishing to busnesu on goings on in the street.

I was looking out through the neckurtuns yesterday afternoon, saw Gladys from number 6 jangling with a roll up hanging out of her mouth. Anyway, up comes old Jac, sees her and starts grinning like it was Christmas . . .
Are you quite well RP?

No !
 Glasgow & West of Scotland - High Winds - Dutchie
Barometer pressure here 973 Hull region.
Just seen the Forth Bridge flexing like a piece of rubber on the telly !
>> Just seen the Forth Bridge flexing like a piece of rubber on the telly !
>>

This page has todays wind speed graph for the bridge. (Scroll down).

tinyurl.com/72y3bdj
Last edited by: Old Navy on Tue 3 Jan 12 at 18:29
www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-16397142
 Glasgow & West of Scotland - High Winds - Meldrew
That's LOW! With standard pressure being 1013 and 1mb being equivament to 30ft that is is equivalent to a 1200 ft height difference. Lowest UK figure here.

forum.netweather.tv/topic/48934-the-lowest-pressure-reading-recorded-in-the-uk/
 Glasgow & West of Scotland - High Winds - corax
>> Lots of weather pics from around the country:
>>
>> www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2081141/UK-severe-weather-warning-93mph-gales-Force-11-winds-batter-Britain.html

The boat in the bus stop. Brilliant :)
There have been a couple of photos online showing a van and Artic blown over on the Kingston Bridge in Glasgow. One, the van, is resting against the rail at the side of the bridge, the only thing stopping the van plummeting into the Clyde below.

I bet those driver's undergarments would not be worth salvaging!!
They'll need to measure the skid-marks though
Had to move the car to another road, too many trees on mine and the road is already full of minor branches. The wind isn't even bad here, probably just a constant 40mph or so.

Its very bad in Wales I have been told by relatives there.

Hope it doesn't get much stronger than this, I am too aware the entire back wall needs repointing as I sleep next to it.

Just read the interview thing :). Must be great to get so far in your career that the BBC ask you to interviews :).
Last edited by: RattleandSmoke on Thu 5 Jan 12 at 00:01
Photo although this doesn't really capture how close to the edge and subsequent drop that awaited the driver...

pictures.metro.co.uk/storms-lash-britain-weather-january-3rd-2012/1221852/Wind-And-Rain-Hit-The-UK

Very windy here in the west all night, worried about damage, thought about moving the car nearest the fence in case that came down ...
During the 100+mph winds here on Tuesday many concrete tiles were blown off roofs in in the street where one of my daughters live, (nearby but more exposed than our house).

I am told there was much rapid moving of cars. :-)

Fortunately both of our houses and assorted cars were undamaged.
>>Very windy here in the west all night<<

Tell me about it :(
 Glasgow & West of Scotland - High Winds - Crankcase
I know we lost a fence panel and some other small stuff last night, but hard to tell if we have any damage to the roof, chimneys or bigger trees. Too dark to see this morning. I would check tonight, but of course it will be dark again, so can't really see the damage until Saturday. Was a tree down across the road in Cambridge on the way in as well.
 Glasgow & West of Scotland - High Winds - spamcan61
Gusting to 50 mph in the 'sunny south' at the moment, I assume things have died down 'up North' as the wind turbines seem to be back to normal output levels i.e. about 3GW total.
>> Photo although this doesn't really capture how close to the edge and subsequent drop that awaited the driver...

>> pictures.metro.co.uk/storms-lash-britain-weather-january-3rd-2012/1221852/Wind-And-Rain-Hit-The-UK

I did wonder from your description last night how the driver would have escaped the van. Seems from the pic he constructed his own emergency exit through the windscreen. Got to be better than clambering out of the upturned door, above the height of the railings, in an 80mph gale :(

We have got three broken fence posts here, I have been out proping and tying, one of the broken posts is on a fence that I park next to, I think I will move the cars around so the Clio can prop up the fence if my tying fails ;-)

Full repairs will have to wait until I get back from the US, a business trip next week.

Not too bad here - 20mph advisory still on Britannia Bridge, had to mix it with the HGVs from the ferry this morning, they were diverted off yesterday.
 Glasgow & West of Scotland - High Winds - WillDeBeest
Some good news from the M4 matrix signs this evening:

HIGH WINDS SLOW DOWN
Latest Forum Posts