Motoring Discussion > Only in France ? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Dulwich Estate Replies: 11

Only in France ? - Dulwich Estate

www.thejournal.fr/2011/12/breathalyser-kits-to-be-compulsory-in-all-cars/
 Only in France ? - Manatee
Excellent idea.

In the UK of course, they will nick you while you are sitting in your car testing yourself.
 Only in France ? - Zero
so do you get nicked if you have a used one in your car?

I can really see the frogs, I mean the French paying an extra 11 quid every time they drive the car after a long luncheon. Gawd blimey you'd need 55 quids worth every week.
 Only in France ? - zippy
If it ever happened here, the law would be written so that the police's device would be the one relied on.

Only in France ? - R.P.
Law's already written thus and probably the same in France...
 Only in France ? - ....
SAAB and Volvo had electronic breathalyzers linked to the ignition about five years ago as an option.
I think they can be ordered to be fitted to persistent drink drivers vehicles.

I see they are using the opportunity to introduce an extra 400 speed cameras across the country. Not sure how these will catch the DDs.
 Only in France ? - CGNorwich
Strange how such a potentially newsworthy item only appears to have been published in the last issue of an amateur produced on line journal for English expats in Poitou Charentes.

Only in France ? - Dulwich Estate
Mainstream press in France too:

www.lemonde.fr/election-presidentielle-2012/article/2011/11/30/m-sarkozy-veut-rendre-les-ethylotests-obligatoires-et-augmenter-le-nombre-de-radars_1611384_1471069.html

It's only a proposal so far.
 Only in France ? - IJWS14
And how does it reduce drink driving - those who drink will drive anyway and ignore the gizmo in the glvoebox!

Which producer of breath testers is giving who in the French Government a kickback?
 Only in France ? - TeeCee
>> And how does it reduce drink driving

I don't think that's the purpose. I reckon that what's going on is that everyone else in Europe has cottoned on to the list of glovebox junk required in FR. Now the bent cops are bitching about not getting enough in backhanders, oops I mean "fines", from stopping cars with foreign plates and so it's time to add more to the list.

Ok, they still get to stamp on your satnav and write it up as a "radar detector", but there's no profit in that.
 Only in France ? - Mike Hannon
You live and learn. I live only about 5k from the border with Poitou Charente but I'd never come across that publication. The story has been around for a while but no-one knows what to believe these days.
I did read the other day that all French market cars will have to be fitted with breathalyser/immobiliser systems by something like 2015 but in the Alice in Wonderland world that is French politics at the moment you don't know what to make of anything. Policy announcements are made and rescinded or denied, sometimes within a couple of days. The announcement earlier this year that all speed camera warning signs would be removed by September has not happened; Indeed, some signs have been replaced by automatic speed warning devices before the cameras! In-car radar detectors now have to be called 'road safety assistants'. I just do my best to behave myself and say little.
The interesting thing, in my opinion, is whether fines are going to be in euros, francs or dollars...
 Only in France ? - oilburner
Carrying a breathalyser in the car will be about as effective as stopping drink driving as stopping speeding by tearing off the page re: speed limits in the highway code and blu-tac'ing it to the dash. i.e. not at all.

I think the point about "fines" above has the greatest ring of truth about it...
Latest Forum Posts