Motoring Discussion > Recommend A Power Pack Accessories and Parts
Thread Author: Robbie34 Replies: 23

Recommend A Power Pack - Robbie34
I did it again. Last used the car on Monday and forgot to close the door when I let the dog out. When I opened the garage this morning and saw the door open I realised the trouble I was in. I had a hospital appointment in forty-five minutes and wouldn't make it. Green Flag took a bit more than that to appear. This is the second time I have done this so I think it might be better to get a power pack - just in case.

Can anyone recommend a decent one that is not too expensive. I don't need an all singing and dancing model with a compressor and lights etc.
 Recommend A Power Pack - FotheringtonTomas
You could get a car battery charger, or even jump leads...

If you're not going to use a "power pack" much, you'll probably forget about it until it's flat - then it'll be useless anyway.
 Recommend A Power Pack - -
I bought a Clarke Jump Start 4000...better price on flea baye...it's heavier than most having a double size battery but kicks over Diesels with no problem.
 Recommend A Power Pack - Dog
This looks useful ~ www.qvcuk.com/ukqic/qvcapp.aspx/app.detail/params.item.555296
 Recommend A Power Pack - The Nut
>> If you're not going to use a "power pack" much you'll probably forget about it
>> until it's flat - then it'll be useless anyway.

Exactly what happened with mine, didn't need it for ages once I had decent car, tried to use it on a friends car and of course it is flat, wouldn't even charge properly after that.

Bearing this in mind one with a tyre inflater would at least mean that you would get more use out of it so would keep it charged.
 Recommend A Power Pack - Diamond
Have a look at this good price but note the comments.
www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=49038
 Recommend A Power Pack - hawkeye
Thread drift ...

Can anyone explain how these things work? You have a flat car battery and you connect this box which contains a motorcycle or lawnmower battery and miraculously the car starts. If it's that simple why don't car manufacturers just fit a lawnmower battery and save kg and ££ ? Why doesn't the bigger battery slurp all the volts out of the smaller battery and you are back where you started ? And many other stoopid questions ...

Bewildered of Richmond.

Recommend A Power Pack - FotheringtonTomas
You are supposed to connect the thing up, wait a minute, and start the car. The "small" battery has enough juice to whoosh a charge into the car one, and when you try your starter (when the battery voltages are partially equalised) there should be enough oomph in the small and large battery to start the car if it's in good starting condition - it won't crank for long!
 Recommend A Power Pack - Manatee
Dear Bewildered of Richmond,

The car battery has to store more than one 'start'; the power pack only needs enough for one do or die attempt. Does that answer the question?

I have the cheapo Maplin one. It doesn't really have enough grunt to start a car with a completely flat battery unless it catches immediately. I use it on the old Land Rover, but I connect it BEFORE cranking if it's not been used for three or four weeks since experience is that when I've flattened the LR battery it's too late.

For the OP's purpose therefore I'd be thinking of the Clarke 4000. With a diary note to charge it now and again. I'd also rather connect something with a name I've heard of to my delicate electronics (not a problem with the Land Rover) and the Clarke has the benefit of an isolator so you can connect up without sparks then switch on.
 Recommend A Power Pack - Ted

I have a cheapy Aldi/Lidl one....I've never used it to try and start a car but I really bought it as a 12V power source for light, small drill, etc away from the garage.

I keep it plugged in but have a time switch which gives it about 15 mins a day. Seems to keep it powered up OK'

Ted
 Recommend A Power Pack - diddy1234
almost all of them are sealed lead acid batteries.

This type of battery is good for slow charging but allows lots of current for short durations.

So they are ideal for a car battery that only has say 10% of charge.
These batteries provide additional boost to take the car battery up to about 80% of charge.

There are a couple of down sides to these batteries.

They naturally deteriorate over time and can not hold as much charge compared to new.

They can only handle around 500 charge / discharge cycles, not too bad for the occasional boosting of your car battery so could last a few years.

And like any other gadget, only good when fully charged.
If you forget to plug these up and trickle charge these boosters then they are no good as they are not designed to be left in a flat state for any period of time (just like a car battery).

These types of batteries are good for say backup power in burglar alarms (since they are on trickle charge most of the time then used very occasionally.

They are useless for powering disability scooters though.
Too many charge and discharge cycles and die just after a year of use.

Like the post above, regular trickle charging and occasional use gives these batteries the longest life.

Its a shame something like this could not be built into a car as standard or even an area in the boot of the car to have one connected trickle charging when driving.
 Recommend A Power Pack - Iffy
My first thought was a separate battery, charger, and jump leads.

Bit of a faff-on, but at least it would do the job.

Say £35 for a battery, £20 for a cheapo charger, and about the same for some decent jump leads, so £75 all in.

The OP could treat the car to a new battery, and keep the old one as back-up.

Can't stress too highly how important good quality, thick, jump leads are.

No point in buying plenty of portable power if half of it is wasted in heating cheapo, high-resistance cables.

One of the mechanics at the garage I used to work in made some from cabling used in arc welders.

Recommend A Power Pack - Oldgit
>> I did it again. Last used the car on Monday and forgot to close the
>> door when I let the dog out. When I opened the garage this morning and
>> saw the door open I realised the trouble I was in..............

In my new Golf MK6 this scenario isn't possible as after a certain time (15 mins) if doors are left open, the lights turn off thus saving battery. Not sure about an open tailgate on hatchback though.
...In my new Golf MK6 this scenario isn't possible...

Same with the CC3, the interior lights go out after a few minutes whatever the position of the doors or bootlid.

It might be possible to leave one of the map readers on.

I think they work with the key out, and each has its own click switch.

Recommend A Power Pack - idle_chatterer
You could always close the car door in future ?

Didn't mean to appear offensive but surely you're looking to treat the symptom rather than the cause ?

Modern CAMBUS (?) cars usually switch the interior lights off, certainly every car I've had since my 1999 A4 B5 has done this.
Last edited by: idle_chatterer on Fri 16 Apr 10 at 10:15
Yes, the lights do switch off, but something must remain active otherwise the battery would not run down.

It's a Honda Tourer Exec Diesel. I think it might be the dash board because that lights up, and possibly remains illuminated.

"Didn't mean to appear offensive but surely you're looking to treat the symptom rather than the cause ?"

Yes, I agree, but "interference" with short term memory occurs when you are emptying the boot, letting the dog out of car, locking the gates to the drive. Forgot that I hadn't closed the door.
...but "interference" with short term memory occurs...

It is very easy for me to miss one small task when trying to do several.

Parking the car is a classic case.

I managed to forget to put a parking ticket on the dashboard the other day.

Bought the stupid thing, but by the time I'd hidden my iPod, combed my hair, had a mouthful of water, got a couple of things out of the boot, bought the ticket, well, it was all too much to remember to display it.

Some justice - I didn't get a penalty notice.

Recommend A Power Pack - madf
When I leave the car I lock it using the remote. Car doors open? The indicators do not wink at me...

Simples..
 Recommend A Power Pack - Manatee
>> Simples..
>>

...unless you forget to lock the car. Or maybe OP is not a mere cat / meerkat - maybe that's his problem?
 Recommend A Power Pack - BiggerBadderDave
"It is very easy for me to miss one small task when trying to do several."

I have twice walked into a supermarket having left the engine running.

Since we went to daytime running lights here, I've had loads of flat batteries. The "lights on" alarm only works intermittently and when the sun is glaring on the dash, it's hard to see the warning lights. I've considered buying a powerpack but so far rely on the good will of my neighbours. They either knock on the door to tell me the lights are on or if it's too late, give me a jump. Another good reason for reversing into a parking space. Although my XJS had it's battery in the boot...
 Recommend A Power Pack - Runfer D'Hills
Can't you get a new bingy bongy thing wired in ? Would have thought that would cost about 50p where you are ?
 Recommend A Power Pack - BiggerBadderDave
But then I wouldn't have anything to complain about...
I never lock the car as I don't use it every day. Consequently, if locked and not used for a number of days, the alarm drains the battery. Not much of a problem in the summer, but in the winter with wipers, heater/aircon, lights, radio and HRW, the battery is not getting a decent charge. The garage is locked and wrought iron gates on the drive entrance, plus security lights, so I'm not concerned about theft.

I'm not able to lock the car if doors or tailgate are open, and warning is given.
Last edited by: Robbie34 on Fri 16 Apr 10 at 18:21
...The garage is locked and wrought iron gates on the drive entrance, plus security lights, so I'm not concerned about theft...

Your insurance company might not be too impressed if the car is stolen while unlocked.

Not very likely, from your description, but I would still lock the car.

Latest Forum Posts