Motoring Discussion > Government Cuts 'Red Tape' Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Bromptonaut Replies: 14

Government Cuts 'Red Tape' - Bromptonaut
Department for Transport have announced a number of actual or proposed changes to the regulations around motoring including:

- Simplifying the SORN process
- Removing need for counterpart licence
- Possible changes to need for paper insurance cert.

Press release and more detail at www.dft.gov.uk/news/press-releases/dft-press-20111215
 Government Cuts 'Red Tape' - Robin O'Reliant
About time they did away with the licence counterpart, I could never see the need for it anyway.
 Government Cuts 'Red Tape' - FocalPoint
When I have hired a car abroad the only thing anyone is interested in is the paper bit - not the plastic.
 Government Cuts 'Red Tape' - rtj70
That's where the points are shown. But in Europe they don't have a paper counterpart to the licence. I've usually had to show to plastic bit. And once when enquiring about hiring a car in Greece I hadn't taken my licence.... they were willing to phone the DVLA to check my licence details.
 Government Cuts 'Red Tape' - Zero
How can you simplify the Sorn process? YOu enter a reference number or the reg number, press a button and its sorned!
 Government Cuts 'Red Tape' - swiss tony
>> How can you simplify the Sorn process? YOu enter a reference number or the reg
>> number, press a button and its sorned!
>>
Try reading the link - then you will know!

OK... Ill save you the hard work.....

''Improving the regulation surrounding the notification process for vehicles that are not in use on the road (Statutory Off Road Notification or SORN). Once drivers have notified the DVLA that their vehicle is SORN, they will no longer have the burden of annual SORN renewal.''
 Government Cuts 'Red Tape' - Zero
Wow so much red tape.

SMoke and mirrors.
 Government Cuts 'Red Tape' - bathtub tom
>>SMoke and mirrors.

Like a steam engine filmed through an SLR?

;>)
 Government Cuts 'Red Tape' - Harleyman
Quite a bit of good stuff in there; the exemption for TA personnel makes sense, as does the potential to exempt certain cetegories from Driver CPC.

The removal of the requirement to re-apply for SORN every year is long overdue.

I'm not quite convinced though about removing the need for possessing a certificate of insurance. The principle of having valid insurance in order to tax a vehicle should stay as it is; in particular the modification proposed does not seem to be helpful to those who do not have a home computer, or easy access to a public one.
 Government Cuts 'Red Tape' - Hard Cheese

Police and tax issuing authorities will/ can see whether a vehicle is insured via MID hence I guess the cert is not needed.
>> Police and tax issuing authorities will/ can see whether a vehicle is insured via MID

But not the data on the AskMID website. That thinks my reg is on a Jaguar X-Type.
 Government Cuts 'Red Tape' - R.P.
I'd get that sorted Rob, in case you get pinged on an ANPR sometime.
I've tried with the lease company and they say no problem. If I tried to get an insurance quote, the reg brings up my car. It is just AskMID that's wrong it seems.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Fri 16 Dec 11 at 10:03
 Government Cuts 'Red Tape' - CGNorwich
It is just AskMID that's wrong it seems.

Tell your broker or Insurance company. The data has obviously been incorrectly entered. Will lead to problems if you don't get it sorted.
 Government Cuts 'Red Tape' - swiss tony
>> I've tried with the lease company and they say no problem. If I tried to
>> get an insurance quote, the reg brings up my car. It is just AskMID that's
>> wrong it seems.
>>

AskMID wrong? NEVER! ;-)
Latest Forum Posts