Motoring Discussion > Future Tyre Prices Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Boxsterboy Replies: 17

Future Tyre Prices - Boxsterboy
I put the winter tyres on this weekend and a detailed inspection of the 'summer' tyres confirms that 2 are down to the wear bars with the other 2 about 0.5mm behind them, one of which has a nail in and needs a repair. So, 4 new tyres are needed.

The thing is, do I buy them now or just before I take the winters off at the end of Feb? Leaving cash-flow considerations aside, does the forum think I'll get a better price now or in Feb. when the economic situation might have worsened and rubber prices softened (so so speak!) from their current high levels?
 Future Tyre Prices - Bigtee
Buy now plenty of good online deals on or you could wait till the 1st Jan.

Mytyres.co.uk seemed the best when we got our sets last month.
 Future Tyre Prices - WillDeBeest
I wouldn't count on rubber prices falling, whatever happens in Europe. Asia has no downturn or recession, and is contributing strongly to the worldwide demand that is forcing up commodity prices.

If my money was earning anything in the bank I might advise you to keep yours there a little longer, but as things are, I don't think you have anything to gain by waiting. In fact, you might save some money by buying 2011 stock that the dealer wants rid of, rather than paying full whack for 2012 tyres.
 Future Tyre Prices - Zero
Sorry, where is this increase in tyre prices?

The same tyres for my car have been the same price for 5 months.
 Future Tyre Prices - VxFan
>> The same tyres for my car have been the same price for 5 months.

Someone has to ask, might as well be me. Why are you checking the prices of your tyres so regulary?

I only check the prices when I actually need some.
 Future Tyre Prices - PeterS
>> Someone has to ask, might as well be me. Why are you checking the prices
>> of your tyres so regulary?

Apologies in advance to Z, but the opportunity was to good to miss...

When you're retired you need to do something while waiting for some trains to spot, and iPhones are great for surfing the net ;-)

Peter

>> When you're retired you need to do something while waiting for some trains to spot,
>> and iPhones are great for surfing the net ;-)
>>
>> Peter

Yeah well at least i dont waste my time researching what winter tyres to buy then wasting my time again changing them twice a year and finding somewhere to stash the redundant set.
No time wasted - that's what PA's are for :-) A benefit of going to work, though not, I admit, outweighed by the disadvantages of doing so ;-)
You make your PA change your tyres? Blimey.
No, but he can organise quotes and the fitters come to the office :-)
 Future Tyre Prices - CGNorwich
I thought you was already re-tyred
Because I need to buy some, and I did some time ago. The someone on here said the prices had gone up, so i checked the prices just now because I will need another two in 6 months.

Ok with you?
 Future Tyre Prices - -
>> Someone has to ask, might as well be me. Why are you checking the prices
>> of your tyres so regulary?

Can't answer for Z, but if i know i'm going to need tyres within say 8 months i'll pencil in certain models on certain websites, keep an eye on them and when the bargain appears hit the buy it now button, and stick em in the shed in the dark till needed.

One site makes obvious mistakes once in a while and i've bought tyres that were obviously mispriced, probably the euro price which has been honoured, one other site has regular offers on certain brands and sizes.

Certainly works to buy winter tyres in summer, not so clear cut the other way round.
Last edited by: gordonbennet on Mon 19 Dec 11 at 14:03
 Future Tyre Prices - -
By the way does anyone else do this....

If i have new tyres fitted on our cars, one of the old ones is usually a decent runner as they come off with 3mm minimum, i take that home and tuck it out the way somewhere.

Means we're not bent over should we get a damaged tyre and can fit the odd tyre as a spare for a few days whilst a reasonably priced and identical replacement is sourced.

dib dib dib
 Future Tyre Prices - Bigtee
Yes common sense that. :-)

Or better still grab another wheel and fit it to that if you can cheap enough.

Replaced the space saver on the vectra with standard wheel so brought that into play when fitting new.
 Future Tyre Prices - BobbyG
Well I predict the market for winter tyres will be dead in 2 months time.

Reason for that being

a. anyone who was going to buy winter tyres after the last 2 bad weathers will have bought them by now.
b. anyone who did not see the need to after the last 2 winters never will
c. this winter looks like being a mild one so no one is going to be persuaded to buy them on the basis of "3 in a row".

So look out for winter tyres next year being much cheaper than this year.

As for the cost of normal tyres and when to buy, I think the answer, especially if you are going to be needing 4 tyres, is to wait until you see a suitable offer for multi-purchase.

Personally speaking, from now on, any tyres I buy will be one step away from the Chinese ditchfinders - I just don't see the need to buy top rate premium brand tyres with my style of driving.
 Future Tyre Prices - MPZ
I agree with you about the winter tyres - I have driven through some pretty severe winters and haven't needed them. But as for the ditchfinders, surely the same grip that keeps a press on driver on the road in the bendy bits stops the car quicker when a child walks out in front of you mimsing down the high street.

I tend to look out for bargains in the premium ranges.

MPZ
 Future Tyre Prices - Boxsterboy
>> Well I predict the market for winter tyres will be dead in 2 months time.
>>
>> Reason for that being
>>
>> a. anyone who was going to buy winter tyres after the last 2 bad weathers
>> will have bought them by now.
>>

Winter tyres wear out just like any other tyre. Our first set is almost finished after 5 winters.
Latest Forum Posts