Motoring Discussion > Gritting and tyres Miscellaneous
Thread Author: movilogo Replies: 15

Gritting and tyres - movilogo
If every car uses winter tyres, do still roads need to be gritted?

Do we grit more or less compared to our EU neighbours?

Gritting and tyres - rtj70
What are winter tyres like on sheet ice? Do they grip on ice much better than anything else? In very cold countries they use studded tyres.
 Gritting and tyres - Dutchie
They grit the same in Holland as in the UK.They used to clear the snow first and put sand down.

The stuff they use is not very good for the envirioment or your car.Winter tyres will give you a bit more grip thats about it..
 Gritting and tyres - bathtub tom
Do you need to run-in winter tyres, like leather shoe soles, and build up a layer of grit to waterproof them?

;>)
 Gritting and tyres - Dutchie
Of course you do Bath Tub better be safe than sorry.:)
 Gritting and tyres - Shiny
In Germany they no longer salt the roads as they believe it poisons the water courses.
They effectively mandate winter tyres.
I can see the EU banning salt one day due to tyre industry lobbying.
I wonder how much salting the road costs divided by the number of vehicles, and how this compares with the cost of winter tyres.
Last edited by: sooty tailpipes on Mon 19 Dec 11 at 21:09
 Gritting and tyres - bathtub tom
>>In Germany they no longer salt the roads as they believe it poisons the water courses.

The salt, or the iron oxide?

;>)
 Gritting and tyres - Dog
I think it's crrrazy that we still chuck all this salt on our roads in the 21st century when we can put a man on the moon, a probe on mars AND have a gander at Higgs wife's bosum!

Winter tyres (and low cut bras) for me every time!
 Gritting and tyres - madf
I have driven winter tyres on ice. You need spikes..

Gritting and tyres - rtj70
>> I have driven winter tyres on ice.

Which is why I asked how winter tyres perform on ice. I suspect not that well.
 Gritting and tyres - Dog
>>Which is why I asked how winter tyres perform on ice. I suspect not that well<<

But a damn sight better than summer tyres, I'll wager.
 Gritting and tyres - Mike H
There are, I believe, different types of winter tyres. In Scandinavia, you can buy tyres designed for driving on ice (with or without studs). In Southern Europe, they're designed for driving on snow and don't usually use studs.

And you thought studded tyres were simple...
www.tirerack.com/winter/tech/techpage.jsp?techid=151
Last edited by: Mike H on Tue 20 Dec 11 at 19:53
 Gritting and tyres - VxFan
>> I have driven winter tyres on ice. You need spikes..

Spikes in summer tyres would work equally as well as it's the spikes that are giving you grip, not the rubber.
Last edited by: VxFan on Tue 20 Dec 11 at 12:55
 Gritting and tyres - Hard Cheese

I have driven on ice and snow covered roads in Finland down to -28 deg, mostly studded tyres, not spikes.

Not sure that summer tyres with studs would work quite as well in snow.

Gritting and tyres - Iffy
At last I have a winter tyres contribution, and of our many threads, I've decided to add it to this one.

I spoke with my plumber mate today who has just had four tyres on his works van.

He asked the tyre place about winter/all seasons, but was advised against them.

Mostly, I think, because one type is good on snow, but rubbish on ice, and the other is the other way around.

The tyre man reckoned the best compromise is a good quality ordinary tyre.

So my mate has lashed out on four Michelins.

Gritting and tyres - Old Navy
>> So my mate has lashed out on four Michelins.
>>
>>

We had freezing rain yesterday, both Mrs ON and myself managed to drive our summer Michelin shod car without any drama.
Latest Forum Posts