Motoring Discussion > Company Cars - limited choice review Company Cars
Thread Author: zippy Replies: 36

Company Cars - limited choice review - zippy
Further to my previous thread about new company car choices, things have changed as I have been offered a new job with a new company and will be starting early in the new year.

The car list is no where near as flexible as my current employers as the list is tiny in comparison and there is no trade down option.

The cars on the list are effectively the following:

3 Series E90 4 Door Saloon 320d 2.0 Efficient Dynamics
3 Series E91 5 Door Touring 318d 2.0 ES
Insignia 5 Door Hatch 2.0CDTi 160 Exclusiv Nav ecoFlex
Insignia 5 Door Hatch cont 2.0CDTi 130 SE ecoFlex
Insignia 5 Door Hatch cont 2.0CDTi 130 SE Nav ecoFlex
Insignia Sport Tourer 2.0CDTi 160 Exclusiv ecoFlex
Insignia Sport Tourer 2.0CDTi 160 Exclusiv Nav ecoFlex
Insignia Sport Tourer cont 2.0CDTi 160 SE Nav ecoFlex
Passat Estate 1.6 TDI BlueMotion Technology Sport
Passat Estate 2.0 TDI BlueMotion Technology S

I think the 1.6TDI Passat will be too limiting and I don't think the new BMW tourer will be out until autumn 2012 and I don't want to be stuck with last years model.

Does anyone have any experience with any of these cars - good or bad?

Thanks,

Z
 Company Cars - limited choice review - Lygonos
320d E/D.

Next question?

I know. It is really tempting but I fancy the practicalities of an estate. Sorry Tourer ;-)
As estates go it's not very practical ;-)

If you need an estate the VW is a good machine.

If you care about being in 'last years model' at all you can imediately discard the Vectras!
Last edited by: Lygonos on Thu 29 Dec 11 at 23:07
 Company Cars - limited choice review - Runfer D'Hills
I would be the first to recommend an estate but on this occasion, well, roof racks are available.

3 series. No question.
The 3 series is definitively in the lead.

One thing that hacks me off is they stick in a 6 inch screen but want a couple of grand for a sat-nav? That has to be rip off of the year!

I haven't seen an in-car satnav that outperforms a decent seperate unit.

Not so likely to be nicked of course.
 Company Cars - limited choice review - -
Apart from the placement and shape of the door mirrors (which given it's rearwards visibility it needs better), Insignia isn't a bad car at all, i could live with it, in estate form it is practical, and a good enough drive.

Company Cars - limited choice review - Boxsterboy
Agree, but so many people can't see beyond the badge.

What sort of driving will you be doing, zippy?
 Company Cars - limited choice review - PeterS
Since the E90 is about to be superceeded by the F30, which is available to order now AFAIK, you need to check you're not going to end up with an old model 3 series saloon as well, if that sort of thing bothers you.

Having had an E90 (albeit in 330i form) in '05, and driven plenty of Insignia and Passat hire cars over the years, I think it really depends on how much space you need. The E90 is significantly smaller inside than the other two, though the F30 is apparantly larger. F30 is getting rave reviews, but all cars so far have been optioned to the hilt with auto box/adaptive dampers/steering etc. No one has driven a bog standard model yet I don't think

I still think the BMW is the right (default...) choice, but I like the Insignia - nice to drive and, I think, is a pretty good looking car too in the right colour. I'd choose it over a Passat if I needed a car larger than a 3 series

Peter
 Company Cars - limited choice review - Iffy
I've not driven any of them, but would guess the Insignia is the most comfortable for long journeys.

Company Cars - limited choice review - Clk Sec
>>you need to check you're not going to end up with an old model 3 series saloon as well, if that sort of thing bothers you.

Slight thread drift here, but I imagine that there'll be some bargain 3 series available in the coming months.
 Company Cars - limited choice review - Hard Cheese
>> Slight thread drift here, but I imagine that there'll be some bargain 3 series available
>> in the coming months.
>>

BMW are too good at managing supply.

Re the OP's question, I would have no concerns at driving a current 3 Series for a few years, at least it would be the ultimate spec of its generation when the new one will have enhancements in short order. Also the 320d engines are current, the 184bhp unit was introduced in 2010 and is carried over as is the 163bhp ED unit unchanged. EDIT: Also the 143bhp 318d unit AFAIK.

The Insignia tourer with the 160bhp unit would be my second choice, not sure of the current Opel/Vauxhall trim levels.

Last edited by: Cheddar on Fri 30 Dec 11 at 09:04
 Company Cars - limited choice review - PeterS
There have been 'special edition' versions of the M Sport and SE models loaded to the gunwales (gunnels?) with kit available for a while now. Add even bigger discounts and they'd be cracking value - no help from a BIK perspective, but as a private buy if you plan on keeping for a while then I'd be tempted!
 Company Cars - limited choice review - legacylad
320d. ED. No contest unless you need the space.
Swmbo has the Insignia Cdti 160 Ecoflex, and after 18 months & 49k miles is only just beginning to half like it. She much preferred her previous Passat Tdi 140. I am on her company car insurance and drive it on non business use and apart from its ability to mile munch motorways in comfort, find it totally uninspiring. Poor quality materials, up & down through the gearbox all the time in town. I cannot really think of any redeeming features. Apart from the colour. Pomegranate red.And the shape is ok.
The sooner 100k/3 years arrives and she can change the better.
Last edited by: legacylad on Fri 30 Dec 11 at 09:11
Now once again, I'd be the first to advocate practicality over form and if Im paying the bill that's exactly how it would play.

However, this is a "free" car ( if you choose to ignore the bik implications )

Picture yourself 6 months from now. It's 5.00 am on a sunny June morning, the roads are still quiet and you have to make a long cross-country journey on some good scenic A and B roads.

Insignia or BMW?

:-)
 Company Cars - limited choice review - Bromptonaut
What are the BIK implications or other user costs and in particular is there much difference between the cars on offer.

>>>What sort of driving will you be doing, zippy?

About 25 thousand miles a year mainly in the south east with regular visits to the midlands and north.

M25, A roads, B roads for the first 45 minutes of every journey.

>>>What are the BIK implications or other user costs and in particular is there much difference between the cars on offer.

The company I will be working for is a multinational and has to be seen to be "green" and therefore the cars on the list have low CO2 ratings. The tax will be between £90 and £120 per month for a 40% tax payer.

Company Cars - limited choice review - IJWS14
Just given a Passat 1.6 TD demonstrator back . . .

Wasn't run in but trip computer showing just over 50mpg driving gently - way underpowered and won't be getting one.

Afraid lack of a spare puts me off the BMWs - I have had a tyre delaminate on me before and both wife and daughter have had side wall blebs - all will leave you sat waitng for recovery, even a space saver will get you home.
 Company Cars - limited choice review - Avant
The only answer is to arrange for a good long test drive in each and see what you like. Most people rave about the 3-series, even the current model, but personally I couldn't get comfortable in it and didn't like the gearchange.

Of those on the list I think I'd go for the 2.0 TDI Passat (while wondering why they don't have the cheaper and in many ways better Octavia on the list): you'd have to check what bits of equipment are missing on the S compared with the SE or Sport and whether they're useful or cosmetic.
 Company Cars - limited choice review - rtj70
From that list I'd consider the Insignia believe it or not. I'd rather a Passat in higher spec trim than that list allows.

I had a Insignia 160PS SRi diesel a few months back. It was much better than I thought it would be. And the model on your list will be better equipped too. Much earlier in 2011 I had a low spec Insignia and didn't like it at all. Which goes to show the spec, engine etc. can make a big difference.
Subjectively, of the 40 odd cars I've owned or had long term use of, the Vauxhalls usually disappointed in the end. The Fords promised little but delivered much more. The VWs and Audis did what they said on the tin but singularly failed to excite (with the notable exception of a couple of Golf GTis which were fun ). The BMWs always felt "right". The Citroens were quirky but I tired of them quickly. Volvos were much better than I expected and the couple of Mercs including the current one please/d me. The Nissan was clinically OK but never thrilled. A Land Rover was right for the time as it was being used for it's intended purpose but I'd not want one as a daily driver. As for the Renault...Ye Gods !
Had a Clio as a hire car for two weeks once. Enough to put me off Renaults forever!

The Nissan Primera that I had was competent and ate up the miles.

Golf GTI, I agree, good fun.

The Vauxhall Vectra that I had was the only car to let me down (breakdown) since the early 1990's. It did this one time in a major fashion - fuel pump failed at 15k miles and once less so (traction control refused to let me proceed on an icy surface and could not be turned off (so I am not keen on the Insignia).

Audi A4 3.2 v6 petrol - mad fun fun fun but didn't feel prestige.

BMW 3 series poverty spec that I currently have is best described as competent. It is an enjoyable drive and is spirited given its detuned engine.
>> Subjectively, of the 40 odd cars I've owned or had long term use of, the Vauxhalls usually disappointed in the end.

I agree 100%. But the Insignia in higher spec surprised me. I wouldn't want one but could easily live with one. The 160PS diesel was a strong enough engine. In EcoFlex trim I don't think you lose anything but gain on emissions and therefore BIK.
Just read the original thread... Exclusiv is a 'poverty' spec isn't it? I somehow read 'Elite' or similar.... hmmm. The Insignia I disliked a fair bit was Exlusiv probably. But the fact I liked the SRi meant there was some merit.

Test drives is the answer. And if you're restricted in the number of lengthy test drives you need to get clever.

I had a short drive of a Passat CC GT 170PS DSG. Then a Fri-Mon drive of a manual CC GT 140PS. And ordered a CC GT 170PS manual. Still like it a lot.

Last tank of fuel was all around town (and some fun acceleration at times). So not great. But I'm to blame and not the car.

>>So not great. But I'm to blame and not the car. >>

I generally find that however I drive a diesel it averages the same in the long term, OK if I did 55mph all day on the motorway the average might increase though in normal driving ...

Also intersting, three diesels:

1993 Cavalier 1.7td / 82BHP / 200nm (ish) / 45mpg over 61k miles
2002 Mondeo TDCi / 130bhp* / 350nm / 46mpg over 140k miles
2010 BMW 123d / 204 bhp / 400nm / 45.5mpg over 8k miles

There's progress, just think what MPG an 82bhp diesel can do today! Or what a 204bhp diesel would have done in '93!

*actually nearer 150 on the dyno

BTW: I have driven more diesels and had various petrol car in between.
 Company Cars - limited choice review - Zero
I cant believe this thread a: exists or b: has prevaricated.

Its not a choice, its do you need the BMW in Saloon or Estate format

How can it not be that simple?
For me, especially as depreciation is not an issue here, I'd go for the "old" model estate for practical reasons. Still a damn good car and presumably in due course it'll get replaced by your employer anyway.
The BMW 3 series is a bit small. New one is a bit bigger.
>> The BMW 3 series is a bit small. New one is a bit bigger.

But its not an option its not on the list,

I would prefer M5 Tourer, thats not there either. A list is a list not, what's not on the list.
If the cars are new, then the 3 series saloon is unlikely to be on the list either. The new one is out in February. Although the estate/tourer comes later. You cannot build to order a current model saloon.

Might be old stock.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Sat 31 Dec 11 at 14:06

>> Might be old stock.

so?

A touring would be preferable though I would go for a 320d saloon over a 318d touring.

Company Cars - limited choice review - Fursty Ferret
Just remember to take 25-35% off any book quoted figures for fuel economy for the BMWs. The Passat is likely to be much better than the BMW. Probably won't squeak and rattle as much, either.
Last edited by: Fursty Ferret on Sat 31 Dec 11 at 14:54
 Company Cars - limited choice review - DP
>> Just remember to take 25-35% off any book quoted figures for fuel economy for the
>> BMWs.

Completely agree

>> The Passat is likely to be much better than the BMW. Probably won't squeak
>> and rattle as much, either.

Completely disagree. On my 2nd BMW with >40k and neither have a single squeak or rattle.
>> So?

If it's not old stock that he's being offered, he cannot get the 320 ED saloon can he. It's being replaced in a few weeks time.

Maybe his list is out of date. That's all I am suggesting he checks.

Maybe if there are cars unused in the fleet he can get a better one without paying extra for it?
Latest Forum Posts