Motoring Discussion > Charity New Year's Day Rally, MK to Sywell? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Manatee Replies: 24

Charity New Year's Day Rally, MK to Sywell? - Manatee
Fancy a run in your 320, GB? Must be fairly local to you. £40 entry, supports the children's home. Anybody else in the area got anything 'classic'?

I spoke to the organiser today. Not yet full up. I shall be there, if spared. Starts from the Red Bull factory. No tour unfortunately, locked down until April while the new car's in the works.

www.magicofmotoring.com/events.asp
 Charity New Year's Day Rally, MK to Sywell? - Bromptonaut
Tempted to drive over or, if miracle weather permits, consider a run on the vintage Dawes.
>> Tempted to drive over or, if miracle weather permits, consider a run on the vintage
>> Dawes.
>>

Weather-wise, the forecast is gusty winds but dry, last time I looked. 8 or 9C, but some wind chill.

For general gongoozling, if not participating, and for other things to see the best bet is probably "Vintage Stony", from 10.30 at Market Square, Stony Stratford, where there will be pre-war and classic cars displayed at a separate event. Looking at the rally timetable, there is a checkpoint there at 11.15ish.

Or possibly you're thinking of Sywell itself, where there is a museum open to the public from 10.30-16.30. I don't think there'll be much going on at Red Bull beyond assembling in the car park and being flagged off. The run itself is quite short, a couple of hours arriving at Sywell at 12.15.

www.vintagestony.co.uk/

www.sywellaerodrome.co.uk/museum-location.php

Last edited by: Manatee on Fri 30 Dec 11 at 21:03
I was thinking of going directly to Sywell from home which is just west of M1/J16. Gusty winds put the mockers on cycling. But lack of daylight my do same; not sure the old Sanyo BB dynamo still works.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Fri 30 Dec 11 at 21:12
 Charity New Year's Day Rally, MK to Sywell? - Iffy
...Gusty winds put the mockers on cycling...

I'm surprised at you Bromp, as a battle-hardened daily cyclist

That's the sort of remark I'd expect from the likes of, well, me.

>> I was thinking of going directly to Sywell from home which is just west of
>> M1/J16. Gusty winds put the mockers on cycling. But lack of daylight my do same;
>> not sure the old Sanyo BB dynamo still works.

Well if you do, say hello to the overweight bloke in the tatty red MX5, which I absolutely expect to be the least classic car on the run!

I expect you've been to Sywell anyway, being an aviation buff?
 Charity New Year's Day Rally, MK to Sywell? - -
Hardly know if me MB would be worthy, its only 16 years old, hardly classic status...though the driver could qualify as well used.

I'll make a note of t'number and see about calling them while i'm working tomorrow, probably too late for entry anyway.

Maybe see one or two of you there then.
Last edited by: gordonbennet on Fri 30 Dec 11 at 21:36
>> Hardly know if me MB would be worthy

They weren't a bit sniffy about my MX5. It'll look OK with a rally plate on the front :-)

I suppose it might be different if they were turning away people with 1960s Ferraris. I didn't ask how many places were left, if any - I booked myself and my pal, who has a slightly more enviable car, in today.
Thanks MT, i'll give them a tinkle of the morrow and see whats to do.
No can do, was hoping to come and support the evnt even we couldn't enter, however got to work tomorrow now.
Customers need supplies unexpectedly, customer is King at my company and nothing wrong with that.

Hope the day goes well Manatee.
Thanks - car washed, oil topped up :-)
 Charity New Year's Day Rally, MK to Sywell? - Iffy
...however got to work tomorrow now...

There won't be many other lorries about for you to tailgate, so I don't how you will manage. :)

Charity New Year's Day Rally, MK to Sywell? - bathtub tom
I'll come and give you a wave at Stony.
I'll keep a look out - not expecting too many admiring waves for a mere MX5 in less than concours order. Hoping we will be able to stop at Stony to have a look at the event and maybe for a bacon sandwich, but I don't know what to expect until I get there.

Herself is revising the Tulip symbols. I could try to make her drive, but we're out at friends this evening. I shall be abstemious.
>> There won't be many other lorries about for you to tailgate, so I don't how
>> you will manage. :)
>>

Spend the day on the phone, some texting, munching on sweeties etc whilst keeping an eye open for any decent totty.
Few elephant overtakes, lane changes without looking, one flash of the indicator and out, brake for no reason.

Yes the day will fly by..:-)
>> Customers need supplies unexpectedly, customer is King at my company and nothing wrong with that.

Was quite surprised to see a Heygate flour tanker exiting Bugbrooke c14:00 as I returned from Xmas Eve's shopping in Dav.

Same customer rex principle I guess.
>> Same customer rex principle I guess.
>>

Thats why some companies (that haven't floated) in the food industry are going from strength to strength after well over a century in business.

You'd think it was rocket science sometimes though, and we've all had experiences where you just wonder if there's anyone with an ounce of sense anywhere in the upper echelons.
I spent a pleasant morning at Stony, although I fear the event may have outgrown the venue. Organised chaos would be a fair description.

I met Manatee (poor bloke had a dead engine and couldn't escape), but he got on his way eventually.

A couple of 'curiosities' included a hundred-year-old chassis with a nine-odd litre aero engine fitted, best described as a 'work in progress'. It had open exhausts and the owner fired it up occasionally. Babies and young children crying would add to the cacophony. A round of applause would greet it being turned off (I suspect they were local residents). A '70s, Enfield electric car was the other.

tinyurl.com/79yvavv

Just spotted I'll have to sort out the camera's date. ;>)
It wasn't dead, it was sleeping ;-)

It was certainly busy in Stony. Great pleasure to meet bt who, to his credit, seemed all for getting his (and my) hands dirty, but it started and ran properly when it had cooled a bit more - it got quite hot crawling round Stony Stratford prior to switching off. I need to check tomorrow if the fan is working since the head went back on.

It was amazingly warm for the time of year and we were quite comfortable with the top down.

There's a very nice art deco caff at Sywell, prices not silly either. Would have gone in the museum but it had closed by the time we had eaten, had a "pub quiz", and a bit of a charity auction.

I bumped into an old friend for the first time in about 15 years at Sywell too - unknown to me he has his business there now. I didn't knowingly encounter Bromp though.

There were some lovely old Porsches on the run. And a Herald convertible, a very rattly Viva HC, 1930 Lagonda 2 litre, and my favourite a red 1960s Alfa Spider with cream upholstery, to name a few. I'll post a link to some pics later if they're any good.

We might well try it again next year.
Last edited by: Manatee on Sun 1 Jan 12 at 18:20
Glad you had a good day certainly the weather for it...chucked it down with rain where i was.
Some pictures -

imageshack.us/g/822/p1020871q.jpg/

I decided to give the image shack recommendation a try - I haven't figured out how or if it is possible to add captions, but a few to identify are

'67 Sunbeam Alpine
'66 Herald
MG TF
Viva HC
quite a few old Porsches that I can't identify - I never learnt all those numbers.
Daimler Dart
Lots of MGBs, some Spridgets
TR3
TR3A
TR4/5
Citroen Light 15?
1992 Bentley Continental R
DB6
TR7
Our MX5!
60s Mustang convertible
'66 Alfa Spider
1930 Lagonda 2 litre (low chassis model)
Bentley 3 litre?
Couple of Beetles
'50s Popular
 Charity New Year's Day Rally, MK to Sywell? - Zero
Excelent, the Citroën Traction Avant looks good next to the blue Bi5tley.
 Charity New Year's Day Rally, MK to Sywell? - Slidingpillar
The car that Bathtub Tom labels as a 100 year old chassis with a 9 litre aero engine is I think propelled by a Curtis Seaplane engine. Quite a popular aero engine with the vintage car community, the best known example of a finished car is the Duncan Pittaways 1913 Monarch.
The guy with the nine-litre was complaining he couldn't get it to rev above 1400. It was running on a couple of (1.5"?) SUs located off the far end of the engine. I reckon they'd let a two-litre rev to 6K, so were working at their limit with nine and just couldn't pass any more air.

Would you want to run it any faster?
Looks good and I'm sorry I missed it. Miss B had borrowed my car for an early shift at Maccy D's & I couldn't face the 'againsterly' on the bike.
Latest Forum Posts