Motoring Discussion > I want a van Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Boxsterboy Replies: 34

I want a van - Boxsterboy
I want a van purely for leisure pursuits. It needs a load length min of 2.5m, automatic, 3 seats up front and I will fit 2 seats in the back, fit 2 side windows and noise insulation. Rear tailgate and twin sliding side doors are preferable.

These requirements seem to narrow the choice down to a Transporter or a Vito. I've read borrow stories for both, and if a Vito I would have to avoid the early ones (poor rust-proofing). Budget about £10k. We currently have a Transporter 174 bop camper which does not make financial sense to adopt and so will probably sell this.

I am amazed Ford don't do an auto Tranny, nor PSA an auto Dispatch/Expert, nor Hyundai in the iLoad (rear leaf springs also put me off the H). Not keen on Renault/Vauxhall/Nissan vans (too many problems)

Any thoughts? Any experiences with the Vito? I had a sit in one and it felt more car-like than the VW.
 I want a van - Dave_
I rented a T5 Caravelle automatic (van with windows and seats) to drive to Le Mans in 2005, fantastic machine.

The Vito's seating position (high floor, low seat) gives me leg cramp after 30 minutes.

The Renault/Vauxhall is well liked but, as you say, only comes with a manual gearbox.

For "leisure pursuits" only a VW will do, surely?
Last edited by: Dave_TDCi on Sat 31 Dec 11 at 21:05
The problem with VWs is their ridiculous prices second hand. The Mercs seem far better value.
 I want a van - -
The Germans do seem to have this sewn up, but both of the ones you mention can be troublesome if you get a badun.

Sedona or Previa not big enough with some seats removed, i800 MPV version not auto?, no auto in the minbus versions of Dispatch/Expert?...seems crazy but then PSA could have wiped the floor with all others if they'd seen fit to offer a proper auto in Berlingo so maybe they are crazy.

I wonder if looking for grey import Japanese mini bus type vans might yield an auto (many converted to day type campers), i dont know and rarity could prove a problem for parts and expertise.
 I want a van - Stuu
My first thought is cant a large MPV with limo tint rear windows do the job, esp given most larger MPVs can have an autobox.
 I want a van - Skip
We bought a Vito to replace one of the Transits at work. It was a 6 cyl diesel with an auto box and was great to drive, but was the most unreliable vehicle we have had there. It had numerous electrical and injector problems, i dont think it ever went a week without the engine managment light coming on, in the end unless it went into limp mode as well we just ignored it ! Dealers were useless.
We also bought a VW Crafter which wasn't much better, that needed a clutch and gearbox at 11 months old and had to be recovered several times as the ignition lock wouldn't recognise the stubby plastic key (the Vito suffered from the same problem twice).
Although i don't rate Ford cars the Transit is a fantastic work vehicle which rarely give us any trouble despite leading very hard lives, its a shame there isn't an auto.
 I want a van - Auntie Lockbrakes
Friend of mine traded-in a nearly new Q7 a couple of years ago and bought a van similar to your description. Not sure if it's auto though: a Renault Trafic "Sport". Looks quite flash for a van. Not quite as flash as the Q7 of course...
 I want a van - -
I agree with Skip about Tranny ability to take punishment and neglect.;)

I want a van - Dog
dunno if its any good fer you but my eating engineer has one of these, and I luvvit!

www.hyundai-car.co.uk/newCars/iLoad/
 I want a van - Hard Cheese

>> my eating engineer
>>

Is that the misses or the kebab van?

I want a van - Dog
>>Is that the misses or the kebab van?<<

Not had a Kebab for years, decades even, I remember my first one though, I was tuning a Rover V8 for a Turk car dealer in S. London, it was late on a Friday evening and he brought me out a Kebab, I enjoyed it so much I used to buy the pitta bread and make my own in the end!
 I want a van - DP
>> We also bought a VW Crafter which wasn't much better, that needed a clutch and
>> gearbox at 11 months old and had to be recovered several times as the ignition
>> lock wouldn't recognise the stubby plastic key

For what it's worth, my VW tech friend rates the Crafter as the worst vehicle Volkswagen have ever produced from a reliability / maintenance standpoint. Reckons he wouldn't have one as a gift. :-(
 I want a van - sherlock47
If you are fitting additional seats in the back you may like to talk to your insurers first. You may find them either difficult or VERY expensive!
 I want a van - Falkirk Bairn
Nissan NV Combi? - 6/7 seats and smaller than a trafic

www.am-online.com/roadtests/review/long-term-test---nissan-nv200-combi-15dci-se/28498/
Thanks for the replies.

MPVs no good - we need 5 seats and 2.5m load length (for windsurf boards) for half the width of the vehicle. A Vito V6 does appeal but it does seem that you can get bad ones (as with the VW). I've looked into insurance and there are companies who will insure at reasonable prices but the converted seat regulations are being tightened later this year.

A Tranny auto would be ideal as I'm not fussed about the image. If only Ford would play ball ...
 I want a van - Harleyman
>> A Tranny auto would be ideal as I'm not fussed about the image. If only
>> Ford would play ball ...
>>

I'm surprised they're not available now, they were certainly a factory option on 1970's Transits, and IIRC were available right up to 2000.

Just a thought for the OP; have you considered American options? LPG conversions can make the big Chevrolets affordable to run, they're well equipped and do have a certain amount of "cool" that you'll never get with a Transit. Plus you're vitually guaranteed an auto box.

LHD is not as intimidating as you might suppose.
Last edited by: Harleyman on Sun 1 Jan 12 at 14:23
Funny you should mention American. A friend organised an American motor show last summer (and is doing another one this summer) and the US vans/trucks do have a certain appeal. LPG certainly essential, and I'm not phased by LHD. Actually a Citroen H-van would be ideal (and would compliment the 2CV nicely), but just too slow for modern motoring.
 I want a van - mikeyb
i800 can be bought as an Auto and the who rear row of seats can be taken out with a few bolts. Not sure if that give you enough space, but the boot was still big with all he seats in so it might just make it big enough
 I want a van - mikeyb
Not sure how much width you need but how about a MPV with 1 seat in row 2 and 3 folded down flat for the length you need. Would still have 5 seats and you could get a ex addison lee galaxy (they only have autos) for around 7K at 3 years old
 I want a van - MD
Are you sure that the Tranny doesn't come with a Durashift box?
 I want a van - legacylad
I ran 4 Transporters from my earliest 4WD H reg Syncro many years ago. All of them used and not abused by honest hard work. My only abberation being a new Vito. Totally unreliable piece of junk, with problems too numerous to list.
Even after selling my business I kept the VW for over a year because it was so reliable. And useful.
If I ever needed another van, I would not look elsewhere.
 I want a van - Alastairw
Didnt Fotherington Thomas get something of this ilk? Might have been a pug?
It's been a while since Trannys had the Durashift box - Dad had one about 15 years ago adapted for disabled use. I think any that are left will be knackered and dated compared to more modern vans.

I didn't realise that Hyundai were now selling auto i800s (not in the iLoad van, mind). That warrants further investigation given the price, warranty, etc. If they can get the supplies I reckon that might give VW a hard time with their over-priced Caravelles (there's a special edition VW Caravelle available at the moment for "from £45,000"!).

Legacy, were the Syncro Transporters you ran T4s or T25s? I has a water-cooled T25 years ago which was great - especially the turning circle, where a six-pence was too big!
 I want a van - Dog
One ere ~

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201147430306593

postcode removed from link
Last edited by: VxFan on Mon 2 Jan 12 at 14:41
 I want a van - -
Blimey at those sorts of prices i can see why the OP would prefer a standard auto panel van and make their own alterations, i know its not just seats making the price up as passenger versions of commercials (4x4's in particular) often have different suspensions and lots more electrics (to go wrong) then the more basic arguably more sensible van version.

Would the admittedly nice motor D links to be taxed at high rate VED?, if it was in van form it would be a commercial taxed at around £210 IIRC.
Update.

Did the deal today on a VW T5 Kombi (6-seat) TDI (5 cylinder) Auto. Not long out of a 3-year lease contract, so full service history to see what has been done in its 108,000 miles.

So its to work now to work out how to fit it out to my requirements (Dynamat sound-proofing being the first thing to go in).
 I want a van - Runfer D'Hills
White?
 I want a van - Iffy
...White?...

Shouldn't this be in the British thread?

The van you hillock !

Just wondering if it came with a copy of the Sun and some empty burger wrappings on the dash !

:-)
 I want a van - Iffy
...The van you hillock !...

Ah, with it now.

Boxterboy's requirements were particular for a van - auto, extra seats - so he's done well to find one to suit.

I want a van - Lygonos
I don't think I want to know what's going on in that van that it needs dynamat soundproofing!
Nor me, but it sounds like there could be up to six of them in there...
Red white or blue?

Red.

Looking forward to that lovely phase of getting to know new cars, ordering a touch-up stick, etc.
 I want a van - Auntie Lockbrakes
I hate that "lovely phase" - chances are you find things you don't wish to find: scratches, dirt, bodges,..!
 I want a van - -
chances are you find things you don't wish to
>> find: scratches, dirt, bodges,..!

receipts for weekly purchases of cooking oil by the gallon...arrgh..;)

Hope it does you proud Bb.
Latest Forum Posts