Motoring Discussion > Real life fuel consumption of Superb 1.8TSi 4x4 Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Mike H Replies: 13

Real life fuel consumption of Superb 1.8TSi 4x4 - Mike H
Vaguely thinking of changing the car this year. Probably looking for a 4WD, but a car/estate not an MPV, SUV or whatever other initials can get put together. I've been in a nearly new Octavia estate, and although I was favourably impressed the tiresome road noise would rule it out for me. As this seems to be a common complaint, even with top of the range Octavias, I'm minded to try the 1.8TSi Superb (I don't think it's available with the 2.0TSi, and I'm not convinced about the 1.4TSi in this car). I'm coming from a Saab 9-5 Aero auto estate, which only gives around 27mpg in town and 33 on a long run. My driving pattern has recently changed, so I'm doing more shorter journeys (5-10 miles) and fewer longer ones, which is why I'm thinking perhaps a petrol is best. I'm interested as to whether anyone here can give some idea of real-world consumption, either for the 2WD or preferably the 4WD version. Possibly with DSG, but hearing mixed reports on the latest version of these.

Other ideas or thoughts welcome, of course!
 Real life fuel consumption of Superb 1.8TSi 4x4 - Hard Cheese

>>
>> Other ideas or thoughts welcome, of course!
>>

I found road noise an issue with an Octavia VRS.

I assume you are willing to sacrifice some performance?

Real life fuel consumption of Superb 1.8TSi 4x4 - rtj70
If you are after a Superb with both 4x4 and DSG, then it has to be a diesel. In 140PS trim it only comes as a DSG too for some reason.

I am ignoring the fact there is a 3.6 litre V6 4x4 petrol for fuel consumption purposes.
 Real life fuel consumption of Superb 1.8TSi 4x4 - Falkirk Bairn
Would a Subaru Legacy / Outback make a better buy.

£20K will get a brand new discounted 2 litre Legacy 2.0ES .........rising to £30K list for a 2.5 SE Navplus auto. Outbacks are a bit more

Not renowned for fuel economy however.
>> Would a Subaru Legacy / Outback make a better buy.
>>
>> £20K will get a brand new discounted 2 litre Legacy 2.0ES .........rising to £30K list
>> for a 2.5 SE Navplus auto. Outbacks are a bit more
>>
>> Not renowned for fuel economy however.
>>
No point changing really unless I get better consumption. I'm not currently desperate to change unless an expensive issue crops up! Always fancied a Legacy, but changing just to get the 4WD is not really the point atm.

And I omitted to mention why the 4WD thought is there as it wasn't really relevant to the original question - I live in Austria, and the pricing won't be the same anyway. But there is a Subaru dealer in the town.....
>> If you are after a Superb with both 4x4 and DSG, then it has to
>> be a diesel. In 140PS trim it only comes as a DSG too for some
>> reason.

Not sure if my driving pattern is diesel-friendly. I could live with a manual, but having had the auto for the last four and a half years I must say I think on balance I prefer an auto.
I forgot you were in Austria. So me looking at the cars available on the Skoda UK website might not reflect the cars available in Austria. You'll have been able to get BMW saloons with AWD for years I guess.

Not sure what you mean by driving pattern and diesel-friendly. I assume it's a DPF related concern?

I don't do high mileage these days and so would have considered a 1.8T or detuned 2.0T (like in Audis) for the Passat CC. But the CC GT is not available with that engine and the emissions are high it would cost me a lot more.

I bet things have changed emissions wise for petrol turbos in three years. Although I like the torque of diesels. Maybe the coupe version of the next Mazda6 will be on the list.
>> Not sure what you mean by driving pattern and diesel-friendly. I assume it's a DPF
>> related concern?

Well, as I said in my original post, my most frequent journeys are far shorter than when we lived in the UK. Normally I would reckon now on covering only perhaps 5-10 miles at no more than 50mph for most of my journeys, in reasonably cold conditions for 3-4 months of the year. From reading numerous posts on this and other forums, this doesn't seem to be ideal for DPF-equipped cars. And interestingly, there is an anti-diesel movement in Vienna due to particulate emissions. Fuel here is around €1.35-€1.40 per litre atm, including diesel (it was €0.99 when we moved here in 2009...).

It's most likely that I would go for a PCP-type purchase, so what happens mechanically after 3 years is not really a big deal to me :-)
Last edited by: Mike H on Tue 3 Jan 12 at 18:25
I did a lot of short journeys in a DPF equipped Mazda6 and post about it a bit. The oil level used to rise due to diesel ending up in the sump. Well before it was an issue I used to get oil changes. Which probably did the car good anyway. When the car went back at 4 years it had about 46000 miles on it I think.

I will be driving the Passat CC 170PS diesel the same. If I want to drive 2 miles to the gym or supermarket and then later drive back I will and do. Doesn't do MPG any good but wouldn't stop me.

I am assuming sometimes when I stop the Passat is doing a DPF regeneration as the fan continues to run for a bit. This was the issue with the Mazda6... the DPF didn't regenerate automatically all the time and dumping diesel in the exhaust cycle ended up with it in the sump at times.
>> I assume you are willing to sacrifice some performance?
Yes, but there has to be some balance. I need something roomy and reasonably rapid but don't need the performance - mind you, it could be argued that I never did, but it's damn good fun!
 Real life fuel consumption of Superb 1.8TSi 4x4 - lancara
www.fuelly.com/driver/amazonas/superb
 Real life fuel consumption of Superb 1.8TSi 4x4 - Focusless
www.eforecourt.com/l_100km_mpg_convert.htm :)
 Real life fuel consumption of Superb 1.8TSi 4x4 - Biggles
Here is another site of interest for real life consumption figures

www.spritmonitor.de/en/overview/45-Skoda/400-Superb.html
 Real life fuel consumption of Superb 1.8TSi 4x4 - nick1975
I have the 1.8 in an Octavia, have done 14k over the last 16 months. Mixed driving but much in town, short trips, and I'm getting 34 mpg. On a steady trip on the motorway at 60, I can get 50 mpg
Latest Forum Posts