Motoring Discussion > Try to flag down a truck with siezed brake ? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: hawkeye Replies: 20

Try to flag down a truck with siezed brake ? - hawkeye
Going north up the rainy M1 between junctions 46 and 47 recently I noticed a pungent smell of hot brake linings. It became obvious that the smell was coming from the plain white artic battling up the hill. The spray to the nearside looked to be more steamy than from the offside.

The question is, should I have tried to flag it down, or is there nothing that could be done at the roadside? Do truck drivers notice when a brake seizes on or is it just a question of changing down and flooring it to keep going? Does a hot brake automatically mean the wheel bearing gets trashed or are they built to cope with heat? Is there ever any danger to the load from hot brakes?
 Try to flag down a truck with seized brake ? - Dave_
Seized / overheating brakes can cause blowouts or trailer fires. The driver would have noticed the extra drag sooner or later, but it wouldn't have hurt to wave, beep and point at the trailer with a worried look on your face.

If you didn't feel confident about bringing it to the driver's attention yourself, you can always phone the HA (0300 123 5000) with the lorry's registration number and location, they can track it with CCTV and send out the Wombles.

Further discussion from last summer here: www.car4play.com/forum/post/index.htm?t=6584
 Try to flag down a truck with siezed brake ? - -
Lot depends on the driver, a slightly binding (usually trailer) brake might not be noticeable from a speed or pulling power sense, and if the driver is one who can't be bothered to keep his windows and mirrors clean, you wouldn't believe the state of some, then he might not see the smoke/steam till it gets to really bad, a good river with clean windows should notice it if in daylight before it reaches danger levels.

Yes they can catch fire eventually and the heat can transfer to the tyres and blow them out too, bearings* are pretty tough so it would have get serious to cause that to fail.

Depending on circumstances the driver might not stop for you anyway, area, load, appearance etc.

The best way to attract attention is to pull aloingside if safe to do so on dual carriageway for instance, wind NS window down, and once you have eye contact point towards the propbable fault, 9 times out of 10 so long as clear off he will stop when safe and check it out....he might stop with you but hijack or other activity would be a concern...so grow your hair again and cover those tattoos..:-)

I have stopped before for people, once a chap (on his own) in a car stopped me on the motorway, i had a full transporter and the rear car on the top deck, Pug 306, the tailgate had sprung its catch after 150 miles and popped up....he couldn't believe how the down draft from going under a motorway bridge at 60mph had shut the boot down and after passing under it came back up again, if i'd been going slower it would have hit the bridge which would have written the car off.

*on another thread when we were discussing washing machines i mentioned ISE machines....apparently the ISE machine uses a Volvo truck wheel bearing which should never fail seeing what it does normally for years without problem.
 Try to flag down a truck with siezed brake ? - Number_Cruncher
Imbalance loads in washing machines can be quite high;

Assuming 1500 rpm, an imbalance mass of 0.5 kg acting at a radius of 0.2m from the axis of rotation gives;

>> n=1500; % Speed (rpm)
>> r=0.2; % radius of imbalance (m)
>> m=0.5; % imbalance mass
>> omega=n*2*pi/60; % convert rpm to radians per second
>> F=m*r*(omega^2) % calculate static imbalance force (N)

F =

2.4674e+003

So, that about 2500 kN, which would be equivalent to a mass of about 250 kg.

That's before the dynamic imbalance, and the effect of the overhang between the bearing axis and the centre of the drum are accounted for.

It's no great surprise when the things start to "walk" across the kitchen floor!
 Try to flag down a truck with siezed brake ? - Crankcase
..or put another way,

www.youtube.com/watch?v=364dzVsBs2o

where it all gets interesting at 50 seconds in.
 Try to flag down a truck with siezed brake ? - -
>> It's no great surprise when the things start to "walk" across the kitchen floor!

Brilliant, only here in the home for the bewildered could this happen:-)

Some washer makers now apparently make sealed drums, presumably if the bearing fails thats it, complete drum assembly, which effectively scraps the machine.

Need some serious bearing and damping to take that punishment.
 Try to flag down a truck with siezed brake ? - Pat
>>>Assuming 1500 rpm, an imbalance mass of 0.5 kg acting at a radius of 0.2m from the axis of rotation gives;

>> n=1500; % Speed (rpm)
>> r=0.2; % radius of imbalance (m)
>> m=0.5; % imbalance mass
>> omega=n*2*pi/60; % convert rpm to radians per second
>> F=m*r*(omega^2) % calculate static imbalance force (N)

F =

2.4674e+003

So, that about 2500 kN, which would be equivalent to a mass of about 250 kg.

>>>

Now look here NC, that really isn't good enough, I can't understand that:)

Pat
 Try to flag down a truck with siezed brake ? - Harleyman
I hereby nominate this thread as a benchmark for the "Drift of the Year" award! :-)
 Try to flag down a truck with siezed brake ? - CGNorwich
Talking of bench marks could anyone recommend a way of cleaning my garden furniture?
 Try to flag down a truck with siezed brake ? - Old Navy
>> Talking of bench marks could anyone recommend a way of cleaning my garden furniture?
>>

Hot soapy water, stiff scrubbing brush, lots of elbow grease, followed by a pressure washer. :-)
 Try to flag down a truck with siezed brake ? - Robin O'Reliant
>>
>> Hot soapy water, stiff scrubbing brush, lots of elbow grease, followed by a pressure washer.
>> :-)
>>
Anyone recommend a good quality scrubbing brush?
Depends a lot on the bristle type and what sort of scrubbing you intend to do. Don't get a French one whatever you do , totally unreliable.
 Try to flag down a truck with siezed brake ? - swiss tony
>> Depends a lot on the bristle type and what sort of scrubbing you intend to
>> do. Don't get a French one whatever you do , totally unreliable.
>>
That could have something to do with French scrubbers having very little in the way of bristles.....
Had a friend who had no end of French ones and they all lasted no time at all. Went for a Far Eastern Import in the end. Much more reliable
 Try to flag down a truck with siezed brake ? - Runfer D'Hills
I'll just pop and ask the wife. More her bailiewick. I'll ask her if she can think of a good scrubber to recommend...Second thoughts, maybe I won't...

:-)
But surely, British scrubbers are regarded as the best you can get? Don't foreign ones lose their appeal when it comes to the really dirty bits (although I've heard a few things about Russian scubbers).
 Try to flag down a truck with siezed brake ? - Zero
not that fussy about how long they last, you can always get another, but I dont like my scrubbers too big.
>> not that fussy about how long they last, you can always get another, but I
>> dont like my scrubbers too big.
>>
Capital letter at the start of a sentence Zero, remember that.
 Try to flag down a truck with siezed brake ? - Zero
two fingers rr, remember them.
Last edited by: Zero on Wed 4 Jan 12 at 13:55
 Try to flag down a truck with siezed brake ? - VxFan
>> two fingers

Kit Kat?
>> two fingers rr, remember them.
>
Don't know Z, I've never taken finger painting classes.
Last edited by: Robin Regal on Wed 4 Jan 12 at 13:57
Latest Forum Posts