Motoring Discussion > Nissan - Sunderland 480,000
Thread Author: Falkirk Bairn Replies: 9

Nissan - Sunderland 480,000 - Falkirk Bairn
Nissan produced nearly 1/2 million motors last year @ Sunderland

www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-16391397

Part ownership of Nissan by Renault

Nissan must be doing something right Vs Renault doing something wrong (Collapsing UK sales (2006-2011) and model ranges for 2012

Nissan - Sunderland 480,000 - DP
>> Nissan must be doing something right Vs Renault doing something wrong (Collapsing UK sales (2006-2011)
>> and model ranges for 2012

The Qashqai is a great example of a good product, well marketed, and launched at the perfect moment (people seeking alternatives to 'gas guzzling' 4x4s who want to retain the chunky styling and high driving position).

Renault's problem in the UK is a long history of sub-standard products with inherent design faults, and an indifferent (at best) attitude to customer support and service. Most people I know, myself included, who have owned a Renault built after about 2001, would never own another. In fact, if I exclude the Clio, I don't know anyone who would buy another.

A long term approach like that is only going yield a downward trend in terms of sales. Renault's problems in the UK are completely self inflicted.
 Nissan - Sunderland 480,000 - Dog
AND - a lot of these cars go for export (quite a large % actually) so that means more money for Osborne and his bunch of Kleptomanics (Bankers!)
 Nissan - Sunderland 480,000 - Meldrew
Knowing nothing about tax, except that I pay it, surely an exported vehicle earns nothing for the UK Exchequer in that no UK taxes or VAT are paid on it? Nissan will pay Corporation tax on their income from car production/profits but an exported vehicle earns nothing more?
 Nissan - Sunderland 480,000 - R.P.
That's what the capitalist press would have you believe. :-)
 Nissan - Sunderland 480,000 - Zero
Workers, paying income tax and VAT on spending
Buiness rates and taxes,
Suppliers paying taxes.
EU subsidy.

Shed loads of money from a large manufacturing base.
Last edited by: Zero on Wed 4 Jan 12 at 19:05
 Nissan - Sunderland 480,000 - R.P.
More and better cars than the indigenous car-makers could manage...
 Nissan - Sunderland 480,000 - Dog
= = = > www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/industry/engineering/8976103/UK-car-manufacturing-and-exports-head-for-records.html
 Nissan - Sunderland 480,000 - lancara
Wonder if the Telegraph (and others) takes UK manufacturing into account when it's foaming at the mouth for the demise of the euro. There has been a 7-8% revaluation of sterling in the last couple of months, and if this increases further places like Sunderland will suffer.
 Nissan - Sunderland 480,000 - Runfer D'Hills
Bentley doing very well too according to the local news tonight. Mainly export driven giving a total upturn of 35% but a healthy 5% up in the UK alone. Go figure, as the colonials might have it.
Latest Forum Posts